What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Capsu78

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Capsu78 »

"MILF", just released on Netflix (USA)... OK, I love the scenery in the south of France, can handle subtitles and some tasteful nudity is not a deal breaker for me or my wife... but I couldn't make it through this one. Found the main characters unlikable, even though I always enjoyed plotlines like "Thirty Something" or "This Is Life", the supporting cast were "Vulger Hip", if I must coin a new phrase. :sharebeer . I think it's going to get the full NEW ON NETFLIX treatment, but I found it as shallow and lousy as "...sitting in a Starbucks and listening to others conversations"! Ahhh, remember that?...in the good old days? Good times...good times.
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

The Perks of Being a Wallflower on Netflix. A very well done coming of age movie. "The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a moving tale of love, loss, fear and hope-and the unforgettable friends that help us through life. " We found it incredibly moving. Highly recommended !
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

The Tollbooth

A young Jewish girl, fresh out of art school, moves back in with
her parents as she prepares to make a mark in the art world
while also balancing a romantic relationship.
Her modern views clash with her parent's strong sense of tradition.
Nice independent film. A couple of other movies have a similar title,
this one came out in 2004. Setting is New York City.
Recommended
Viewed on DVD.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Southern Comfort (1981). I heard about this movie several times before, but have never seen it until tonight on YouTube. Very intense.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
diabelli

Post by diabelli »

La vita è bella, just last night, in Italian with English subtitles.
At once elevated and crushed my soul.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Hamilton - now, I'm no musical/Broadway fan in general. And I was skeptical due to all the hype surrounding this play. But Hamilton just blew me away. I was enthralled: the cleverness of the lyrics, the variety of the music, just the sheer experience of it all. I am still shaking my head - how could one man write all this, how could people possibly remember all these lyrics, songs, and dance moves given the fast pace? I envy those who have seen it live - although I admit, although the movie probably lacks the energy and spectacle of a live production; the movie version may be more accessible in that it helped to have the close-captions due to the rapid-fire nature of the lyrics.
Dan999

Post by Dan999 »

First Cow
Rented on Verizon.
Worst movie I have seen in memory. Sloooooowwwww,
Weak story line, and very poor cinematography.
I stayed with it looking for the point, and I guess it shows what life may have been like in the Northwest in a small 1800's frontier outpost.
I know how it ended, but it must be deeper than I can see.
Anyway, my 2 cts.
Dan999
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

True Romance, on Blu-ray DVD. This 1993 romance / crime movie was written by Quentin Tarantino. There are a lot of good actors -
Christian Slater, Dennis Hopper, Val Kilmer, Gary Oldman, Brad Pitt, Bronson Pinchot, Samuel L. Jackson. Tarantino didn't direct this film. It's not one of his best, but it was worth watching.

The ending won't disappoint if you're looking for a "Tarantino style" movie.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
catpepper

Post by catpepper »

Just finished Sonic.
Kind of a cookie cutter film really. I'd say detective pikachu is more enjoyable.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

"Frost Nixon" on Amazon Prime. Very enjoyable-acting was strong and the script was very tight.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

"Rosie" - a quiet drama filmed in Dublin, Ireland about 2 parents with 4 kids being suddenly evicted from their home and struggling to find temporary shelter in a crowded city with housing shortages. Although the topic sounds depressing, it was somewhat refreshing and helps me consider all of things I shouldn't take for granted. Very good acting.

Official Selection at the Toronto International Film Festival and BFI London Film Festival.

Saw it on Kanopy but it's also on IMDB tv.
travelspot

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched

Post by travelspot »

We watched “Logan Lucky” last night and really enjoyed it. Thank you LadyGeek, Peculiar_Investor and others for the tip. Great caper flick from 2017.

Also thought “Uncut Gems” was very well done, with Adam Sandler showing greater acting depth.
If you don't do stuff, then you don't do stuff.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Finally watched Hamilton on Disney +.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“The Town” on Netflix with Ben Affleck. Enjoyed it.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Last night, we watched "Broadcast News" (on Amazon Prime).
We enjoyed it, but I thought it got off to a slow start. Glad I continued.

This evening, we watched "Margin Call" (on Showtime).
The action all took place in one 24 hour period. We'd seen that before, and liked it, and we liked it again this time.
It's about a major financial meltdown, rather than just "margin calls".
I thought that Jeremy Irons did a great job, and that the acting was generally very good.

There was a scene where Demi Moore (in business attire) sits in a window in a very tall high-rise office building.
(I'm guessing that someone involved in the staging/script/physical scene saw "Lost In Translation", as it was really almost exactly like the positioning of Scarlet Johansson in a high rise hotel room window. It fit the character and situation much more in "Lost...")

RM
Last edited by ResearchMed on Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Dan999

Post by Dan999 »

SAPHIRES
Story about Australian Aboriginies who went into singing and the story behind it and success and hardships. Netflix

Really enjoyed it.
Dan999
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Jane Got a Gun, on Blu-ray DVD. A Western romance action film with Natalie Portman. Meh.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
denovo

Post by denovo »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:45 pm Jane Got a Gun, on Blu-ray DVD. A Western romance action film with Natalie Portman. Meh.
What's a DVD
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Nebraska
Free on TubiTV
Bruce Dern is outstanding. Black-and-white really enhances the movie.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

The Last Full Measure.

Saw on Hulu.

Description: A 2019 American war drama film written and directed by Todd Robinson and distributed by Roadside Attractions. The story follows the efforts of Pentagon staffer Scott Huffman and many veterans to see the Medal of Honor awarded to William H. Pitsenbarger, a United States Air Force Pararescueman who flew in helicopter rescue missions during the Vietnam War to aid downed soldiers and pilots. The film stars Sebastian Stan, Christopher Plummer, William Hurt, Ed Harris, Samuel L. Jackson, Jeremy Irvine and Peter Fonda, in his final, posthumous film role.

Decent movie until about the last 30 minutes, when it simultaneously drags on, bogs down, and leaves plot and story lines hanging and unanswered.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Uncle Buck.

We saw this at a makeshift drive in movie theater in a shopping mall parking lot.

I had forgotten how funny this movie is is. Unemployed slacker, uncle Buck (John Candy), takes care of three children during a family emergency.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

The Old Guard on Netflix.

Charlize Theron as one of a group of centuries old undying mercenaries. Apparently based upon a graphic novel I am unfamiliar with.

I watched because it was mentioned in several newspapers. I enjoyed it. They seem to set it up for sequels in future.
The writeups mention that Theron and KiKi Layne did much(all?) of the fight scenes themselves. It's a bloody movie. At one point I asked myself how many people they'd killed. In that regard I thought of the John Wick movies with the massive body counts. The Old Guard is better than the Wick movies.

Without giving too much away, the evil pharma company and it's founder are named Merrick. I wonder how US based Merck & Co. likes that similarity?

I think I've seen all of Ms. Theron's movies over many years. I still don't recognize her if I don't know it's her.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Dan999 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:19 pm SAPHIRES
Story about Australian Aboriginies who went into singing and the story behind it and success and hardships. Netflix

Really enjoyed it.
This had been sitting on my list for a long while, but based on your feedback we decided to watch it and we too did enjoy it.
planetmike

Post by planetmike »

My wife and I watched Greyhound on Apple TV +. Tom Hanks movie about WW II. "Early in World War II, an inexperienced U.S. Navy captain must lead an Allied convoy being stalked by Nazi U-boat wolfpacks." Was supposed to be released to theaters, but Apple bought the rights and put it on Apple TV +. Was a good movie, just the right length. Made the journey across the Atlantic relatable for what was going on in WW II.
poker27

Post by poker27 »

Bad Boys for Life: was a big fan of the original movie (and thought the 2nd was decent), and big Will Smith fan too. I was disappointing, but not exactly surprised. Still worth the 2 hour investment

The Way Back w/ Ben Affleck: Thought it was good, different type of sports/ drama movie then the typical ones out there

Ford Vs. Ferrari: Thought it was one of the better movies I've seen in a long time. I'm a semi racing fan, and thought both Damon and Bale did a great job. Its not really a movie you watch more then once, but I have an urge to watch it again.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

poker27 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:52 pmThe Way Back w/ Ben Affleck: Thought it was good, different type of sports/ drama movie then the typical ones out there
Have not seen the movie, but my high school's basketball stadium was used as the court for the film.
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

poker27 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:52 pm Bad Boys for Life: was a big fan of the original movie (and thought the 2nd was decent), and big Will Smith fan too. I was disappointing, but not exactly surprised. Still worth the 2 hour investment

The Way Back w/ Ben Affleck: Thought it was good, different type of sports/ drama movie then the typical ones out there

Ford Vs. Ferrari: Thought it was one of the better movies I've seen in a long time. I'm a semi racing fan, and thought both Damon and Bale did a great job. Its not really a movie you watch more then once, but I have an urge to watch it again.
Not being a racing fan (or sports fan for that matter), I was surprised how much I liked Ford v. Ferrari.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

planetmike wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:26 pm My wife and I watched Greyhound on Apple TV +. Tom Hanks movie about WW II. "Early in World War II, an inexperienced U.S. Navy captain must lead an Allied convoy being stalked by Nazi U-boat wolfpacks." Was supposed to be released to theaters, but Apple bought the rights and put it on Apple TV +. Was a good movie, just the right length. Made the journey across the Atlantic relatable for what was going on in WW II.
We added Apple TV a few months ago, and thinking of checking this out. Thanks for the review.

Edit to change Disney+ to Apple TV, which we also have.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Last night, watched on Netflix "Freedom Writer", the 2007 Hilary Swank movie based on the true story of teacher Erin Gruwell, and her approach to teaching a group of students most in the system had given up on. Her principal and the union rules come off pretty bad. It also didn't help that the bad gal principal was played by Imelda Staunton, who also played the wicked new headmistress Delores Umbridge in the Harry Potter films.

Other than that, an enjoyable and inspiring film.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

cheese_breath wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:43 pm Southern Comfort (1981). I heard about this movie several times before, but have never seen it until tonight on YouTube. Very intense.
This movie is at best, a cheap knock-off of Deliverance in a Cajun setting. I did not like it back in 1981 and my second viewing was no better.

And as I am reminded frequently by my DW, it was a poor choice for a date movie.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Tower Records; Dying Laughing; Gilbert Gottfried; The Bill Murray Experience; Cassette; Misery Loves Comedy; Back In Time [about the making of Back to the Future and also its fanbase].
(All on Peacock; these are documentaries[non-fiction]; I think some are on Amazon Prime Video too and maybe elsewhere.)
I watch very few movies, but these were all really good IMHO. These are all from the last 5 years or so. Check 'em out. They are all pretty smart and heartfelt and engrossing I thought. And pretty emotional too.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

The Last September

In Northern Ireland(circa 1920) an Anglo-Irish family and
acquaintances are caught in the middle of the Irish/British
conflict in the aftermath of the 1916 uprising.
Nice period piece in terms of setting and costumes and stylistic
cinematography but the story is a little weak and uneven.
Not bad but not great. 6/10
Viewed on DVD
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“LBJ” on Amazon. Good!
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

Taras Bulba (1962) with Yul Bruner. Enjoyed it very much. No CGI.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Watched "Amadeus" from Netflix on blu ray. I had watched this years ago but didn't recall most of it other than the infamous fart scene. Really enjoyed the second watch although it's a long movie so we split it over two evenings. Really great acting!
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Tobacco Road on YouTube. Aaugh!! One of the worst movies I have ever seen.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie on YouTube. I've seen this film several times before but I never tire of watching it again. Maggie Smith won the 1970 Academy Awards Best Actress for her performance in the title role.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“Truth and Lies Jeffrey Epstein” on Hulu. No words to describe.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

"War Party". Stumbled on this on YouTube tonight looking for something to kill time. French subtitles. OK, but not great,

Here's Roger Ebert's review. (Note: This was written in 1989 before we learned to respect the original inhabitants of this land as Native Americans)
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/war-party-1989
travelspot

Post by travelspot »

“Tread” on Netflix. 90 minute documentary about a man dealing with his perceived enemies in a small Colorado town. I won’t say any more for those who don’t know the story yet. Well done.
If you don't do stuff, then you don't do stuff.
Misenplace

Post by Misenplace »

A Most Beautiful Thing. Right now it is streaming free on Xfinity. It's about the first all Black high school rowing team in Chicago. It's not happily ever after, more real to life, yet heartwarming, and a timely, thought-provoking documentary.

https://www.amostbeautifulthing.com/
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Laurel Canyon (both of the 2 parts). On Epix or Amazon Prime. (This is a new -2020- release.) Very good; rare performances and footage.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Big Stone Gap, on Netflix.

This romantic comedy set in Virginia coal country features Ashley Judd, Patrick Wilson, Jenna Elfman and Whoopi Golberg. I recommend this movie.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Enjoyed Mississippi Grind on Prime
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

travelspot wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:18 pm “Tread” on Netflix. 90 minute documentary about a man dealing with his perceived enemies in a small Colorado town. I won’t say any more for those who don’t know the story yet. Well done.
Thanks for posting this. I'm watching it now. I remember this happening as it dominated local news at the time. The backstories of the main "character" and others in this mountain town are interesting.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

“The Lincoln Lawyer” on Prime. Excellent.
yolli71

Post by yolli71 »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:13 am
travelspot wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:18 pm “Tread” on Netflix. 90 minute documentary about a man dealing with his perceived enemies in a small Colorado town. I won’t say any more for those who don’t know the story yet. Well done.
Thanks for posting this. I'm watching it now. I remember this happening as it dominated local news at the time. The backstories of the main "character" and others in this mountain town are interesting.
I just finished watching this about 30 minutes ago. Good documentary. For some reason I don't remember this story at all, but it's a sad story.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:37 am “The Lincoln Lawyer” on Prime. Excellent.
+1 After reading your post, I watch &enjoyed this as well. Thanks
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

Just watched Greyhound(new Tom Hanks WWII movie) on Apple TV. I enjoyed it.

Now since I have a year free of Apple TV due to activating a new Verizon phone, I have to figure out the Apple TV App. I had to watch it on my iPad vs casting to my TV because the narration and accessibility options on my Vizio TV would not shut up. "Ernie looks at water" "water is gray and rolling" "glass breaking sound" arrrrghh
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

"Driveways" starring Brian Dennehy in what I believe was his last role before hid death. Tender-hearted story about a crusty old Korean War vet befriending a young boy. We saw it on our library-provided Hoopla access. Think it's also a paid option on Amazon.
Friar1610 | 50-ish/50-ish - a satisficer, not a maximizer