Who is your favorite fiction author and what is your favorite book of theirs?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Halicar

Re: Who is your favorite fiction author and what is your favorite book of theirs?

Post by Halicar » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:04 pm

PhoebeCoco wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:30 pm
I am in my late 50s - is it too late for me to read and appreciate "Atlas Shrugged"?
Probably. As I mentioned in the "books that changed your life" thread, that book is infamous for being beloved by teenagers. As a manifesto, it's certainly thought-provoking--especially to a young person--but as a novel, it's pretty bad. I would say an adult who has been exposed to a variety of ideologies would be unimpressed.

gamboolman

Re: Who is your favorite fiction author and what is your favorite book of theirs?

Post by gamboolman » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:05 pm

For fun read, recommend the following to start with and if you like it, then there are more behind it
Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia

backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:30 am

RobertAlanK wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:14 pm
shorty313 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:10 am
123 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:32 pm
BogleTaxPro wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:44 pm
Ray Bradbury, Dandelion Wine. It's NOT science fiction, it's a wonderful depiction of life in small town america.
+1 My favorites as well.
I remember HATING that book in high school English class. Maybe it’s time for a re-read. That and My Antonia were low on my list.
I will say that I loved Dandelion Wine as Bradbury poignantly captured the nostalgic fondness I feel for my childhood growing up near Chicago as he had 20-30 years before.

But for another wonderful option on a related theme but from a different part of the country, I highly recommend the novel Boy's Life by Robert R. McCammon.
I recall being very moved by Dandelion Wine when I read it also.
Another one I enjoyed, in a somewhat similar vein, is Who Has Seen the Wind by W.O. Mitchell.
Considered a Canadian classic, growing up on the Saskatchewan prairie.

I also went through a phase of reading many Chekhov short stories.

Not fiction, but my biggest reading project was Edward Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, which took me a couple years (I'm not a fast reader).
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies

backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:58 am

shorty313 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:10 am
123 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:32 pm
BogleTaxPro wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:44 pm
Ray Bradbury, Dandelion Wine. It's NOT science fiction, it's a wonderful depiction of life in small town america.
+1 My favorites as well.
I remember HATING that book in high school English class. Maybe it’s time for a re-read. That and My Antonia were low on my list.
FWIW, I almost never enjoyed reading for English class, but I loved to read outside English class.
Perhaps try them again when no one is compelling you to read them.
I enjoyed both My Antonia and Oh, Pioneers!.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies

Seasonal

Post by Seasonal » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:41 am

Halicar wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:04 pm
PhoebeCoco wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:30 pm
I am in my late 50s - is it too late for me to read and appreciate "Atlas Shrugged"?
Probably. As I mentioned in the "books that changed your life" thread, that book is infamous for being beloved by teenagers. As a manifesto, it's certainly thought-provoking--especially to a young person--but as a novel, it's pretty bad. I would say an adult who has been exposed to a variety of ideologies would be unimpressed.
I'm reminded of one of my favorite quotes about books: "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

av111

Post by av111 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:25 am

Woodshark wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:51 pm
I have to admit to a decades old addiction to anything by John D. Mcdonald. His Travis McGee series in particular.

“I know just enough about myself to know I cannot settle for one of those simplifications which indignant people seize upon to make understandable a world too complex for their comprehension. Astrology, health food, flag waving, bible thumping, Zen, nudism, nihilism—all of these are grotesque simplifications which small dreary people adopt in the hope of thereby finding The Answer, because the very concept that maybe there is no answer, never has been, never will be, terrifies them.”
― John D. MacDonald, A Deadly Shade of Gold: A Travis McGee Novel

“If there was one sunset every twenty years, how would people react to them? If there were ten seashells in all the world, what would they be worth? If people could make love just once a year, how carefully would they pick their mates?”
― John D. MacDonald, One Fearful Yellow Eye: A Travis McGee Novel

"Bugs would eat the wax. Chaw the old canvas. And one day there will be a mutation, and we will have new ones that can digest concrete, dissolve steel and suck up the acid puddles, fatten on magic plastics, lick their slow way through glass. Then the cities will tumble and man will be chased back into the sea from which he came...”
― John D. MacDonald, The Deep Blue Good-By
+ 1 for John D Macdonald and Travis McGee. My go to for dramatic thriller fiction. Thanks for reminding about the writing. I have been meaning to read these again

Also recommend Bourne identify by Robert Ludlum
AV111

cinghiale

Post by cinghiale » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:32 am

Wonderful stuff, everyone!

Lots of old favorites here, including John D. MacDonald, James Lee Burke, and Arthur Conan Doyle. And better yet, plenty of new authors and/or new titles to add to the reading list.

One author not yet mentioned: Sebastian Faulks. Well-crafted plots, well-developed characters, and great European locales. Hard to pick a favorite. Go on Amazon, pick out an intriguing story line, and give Faulks a try. You will be placing yourself in good hands.
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:49 am

zanerta wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:55 pm
Mother Night by Vonnegut and Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
Mother Knight is outstanding. I forgot about it until I saw your post.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:49 am

Mark Twain.

Huckleberry Finn.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:29 am

Borges. Also, Calvino.

For a long flight or train, though, hard to beat Preston and Child.

rm

Post by rm » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:37 pm

Jeffery Archer
All his short stories are awesome. Some of his main books are also good - fast paced with a good arc (Prodigal daughter, not a penny more not a penny less)

Oscar Wilde

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:18 pm

doctorfaust wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:30 pm
My favorite book, depending on my mood when you ask me, is either William Goldman's The Princess Bride ...
It is extraordinarily well done. I like it so much I don't want to read anything else by Goldman as I think it might "break the spell" of Princess Bride.

But, it is not my favorite book. I think that has to go to ‎Rudyard Kipling's Kim. I have only read a smattering of Kipling's other work. The Man Who Would Be King is probably at the top of the list of "other" Kipling works.

Another favorite book: The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth. This is so well written that he manages to keep up the suspense when you know from the start that the assassination plot against de Gaulle failed. (The 1973 movie with Edward Fox is outstanding. The 1997 Bruce Willis version is a waste.)

As far as favorite author, that's a tough one I'd have to think on.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

Robert The Bruce

Post by Robert The Bruce » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:00 pm

Man, What a list!
I count over 100 favorites, 95 of which I haven’t read - I just put in my request to the local library for The Princess Bride, sounds like quite an adventure. The rest I have added to my ever growing list of must reads.

Thanks Bogleheads! I know it’s weird but I have been holding my 100th post for something original, however this would seem to be a worthy use.

Robert Bruce
The stingy man pays the most. - Ray Magliozzi

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:57 pm

Robert The Bruce wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:00 pm
Man, What a list!
I count over 100 favorites, 95 of which I haven’t read - I just put in my request to the local library for The Princess Bride, sounds like quite an adventure. The rest I have added to my ever growing list of must reads.
Add it to your movie list as well. Goldman also did the movie's screenplay. Part of the charm of the book are Goldman's introductions. He does not claim to have written the book but to have edited the actual author's scholarly work and retained only the "good parts." They describe both the "editing" of the book and the making of the movie and are as fanciful as the book itself.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

SteadyOne

Post by SteadyOne » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:18 pm

“Solaris” by Stanisław Lem.
“On the Road” by Jack Kerouac
“Every de­duc­tion is al­lowed as a mat­ter of leg­isla­tive grace.” US Federal Court

birnhamwood

Post by birnhamwood » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:49 pm

The entire oeuvre of Somerset Maugham. Everything. The novels, plays, short stories, essays, etc.

I have never been able to improve upon any sentence he has written.

I'm particularly partial to his short stories, collected in EAST AND WEST, and I forget the title of the second volume.

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:05 am

Preston and Child. I love the Pendergast books.

BBBob

Post by BBBob » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:26 am

The Bernie Gunther series (starting with the trilogy Berlin Noir) by Philip Kerr. IMO, they’re better than Raymond Chandler and Micky Spillane. Takes place in 1930’s – 1950’s Germany against a background of Nazi takeover and defeat. The protagonist is a cynical ex-cop turned PI named Bernie Gunther. Think Bogart playing Sam Spade or Marlow. Think Casablanca. Vivid and gritty…great dialog.

BBBob

Post by BBBob » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:29 am

Raybo wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:15 pm
The Devil In the White City
+1!!

BBBob

Post by BBBob » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:37 am

Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance. Not an easy read...I read (and have re-read) 1-2 chapters a day or so, and then think about it. A search for the meaning of "quality" during a cross country motorcycle ride. Fascinating book with an interesting backstory. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_and_t ... aintenance

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:44 pm

bertilak wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:18 pm
doctorfaust wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:30 pm
My favorite book, depending on my mood when you ask me, is either William Goldman's The Princess Bride ...
It is extraordinarily well done. I like it so much I don't want to read anything else by Goldman as I think it might "break the spell" of Princess Bride.

But, it is not my favorite book. I think that has to go to ‎Rudyard Kipling's Kim. I have only read a smattering of Kipling's other work. The Man Who Would Be King is probably at the top of the list of "other" Kipling works.

Another favorite book: The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth. This is so well written that he manages to keep up the suspense when you know from the start that the assassination plot against de Gaulle failed. (The 1973 movie with Edward Fox is outstanding. The 1997 Bruce Willis version is a waste.)

As far as favorite author, that's a tough one I'd have to think on.
I'll have to add The Princess Bride to my reading list. Lots of recs here.

I read Kim when I was very young, and liked it, but don't remember much. My parents had a two volume set of Kipling, and I much enjoyed the Jungle Book stories and Puck of Pooks Hill stories. I have his poem, "If" on my office wall, and read it often.

I read / listened to Day of the Jackal a few years ago, and agree it was mesmerizing, even though you knew the outcome. I was interested enough to read the back story on the French turnover of Algeria, and the French nationals and cadre of French generals' plotting. Plus, there's that whole Carlos the Jackal influence on the Jason Bourne books. The Odessa File was my favorite Forsyth book.

helwardman

Post by helwardman » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:55 pm

My favorite author of many years is Christopher Priest.

The Glamour is definitely my favorite of his, with The Affirmation a close second.