Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
tooluser
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by tooluser » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:10 pm

rob wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:02 pm
mkc wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:38 am
I have a family member who owns a wholesale baking operation. The problem (apparently) has not been a shortage of product, but a shortage of consumer-packaged product. IIRC, something like 95% of the mills' production goes into food-service sized packaging, and only 5% into consumer packaging - the production lines just aren't designed to scale up for consumer packages.
During the height of the madness here, I was able to grab some 10lb bags of dry pasta in the local supermarket as they were out of those little boxes.... Worked fine and we are working our way thru some of it still; although cooking instructions were scaled to feed 100 people which is funny to read.
Frozen vegetables here. At the height of the frenzy I guess the grocery store ordered 2.5 lb bags from industrial suppliers. They are non-descript, labelled as "IQF" (individually quick frozen) with industrial whole-bag-at-a-time prep instructions. They look good though. A couple of months after their arrival they were apparently not selling well and went on sale for $1.25 a bag, so I bought some.

iamlucky13
Posts: 1934
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:28 pm
Location: Western Washington

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:53 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:34 pm
iamlucky13 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:04 pm
A new addition for me today:

Hog panels. Apparently everyone is building stout fences during the pandemic.
I wonder if that's tied to an increase in home vegetable gardens, and trying to keep the critters out of said garden. Although hog panels would be awfully short for that purpose. I'd think deer would just hop right over them and rabbits would go between the wires. Rabbits can squeeze through all sorts of fences that try to keep them out. I'm glad the nearest rabbits are currently about half a mile away, and are just escaped domestic rabbits.
I think it's a general trend of tackling home improvement / hobby farm projects in spare time.

It's seldom even worth trying to keep deer out unless they stand to more or less ruin you financially. I was using a really detailed USDA guide for planning the main part of my fence, and they had criteria for each category of animals. 4' high fences of one variety or another met or exceeded their criteria for every animal except deer.

For deer, they indicated an 8 foot high woven wire fence, with 2 strands of high tensile wire at the top for a total height of 10 feet meets their criteria, but does not exceed it because deer are known to occasionally clear such fences. That requires 14-16 foot long posts depending how firm the soil is, which are huge.

Having once watched a blacktail bound over a Christmas tree farm that was ready for harvest (~6' tall), not because it had to, but presumably because hopping over them was easier for it than threading its way between the trees, I believe it. And I say "bound" rather than "jump" because it was just doing it continuously, row after row, as easily as a person skipping, without any need to pause and wind up again. It was like it had pogo sticks for feet.

Chip
Posts: 3017
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:57 am

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by Chip » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:56 am

Pompeii brand red wine vinegar. Store shelves bare for at least 8 weeks.

There are alternatives, but they suck.

Jim85
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:10 am

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by Jim85 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:07 am

Not sure what's up with Claussen pickles but ShopRite has been out for weeks (months?) but another supermarket (Redners) had plenty and all varieties.

Spirit Rider
Posts: 13281
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:39 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by Spirit Rider » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:07 pm

Watty wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:12 pm
In addition to supply chain disruptions that could also be related to how R-22(freon) cannot be manufactured after January 1st 2020. This has driven the price so some people that had repairable R-22 AC may have replaced them instead of repairing them.
New r-22 split systems aren't even being manufactured anymore. Any new system installations would be with R-410a systems. Any supply chain disruptions would be to R-401a components and not R-22 components.

InMyDreams
Posts: 805
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:35 am

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by InMyDreams » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:09 pm

Kid's Clif "Protein" bar, Chocolate Mint. Haven't seen 'em for a couple of weeks.

Teague
Posts: 2024
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:15 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by Teague » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:23 pm

Trolling motors. Apparently everyone's gone fishin'.
Semper Augustus

User avatar
CardinalRule
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:01 am
Location: United States

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by CardinalRule » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:59 pm

Diet Mountain Dew in cans are nowhere to be found in my area. Ditto Diet Barq's Root Beer in cans.
rec630 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:54 pm
Kenkat wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:50 am
Caffeine free Coke or Pepsi. We talked to one of the Coca-Cola reps at the store and he said there was an aluminum shortage and so they were only making their core product lines.
Ah...not only are caffeine free products missing, Cherry coke in the mini cans have disappeared from everywhere.

User avatar
WoodSpinner
Posts: 1562
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:15 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by WoodSpinner » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:06 am

Evidently there is a run on Kayaks as well!

We were out paddling in a local lake and were offered twice what I paid for our Advanced Element inflatables.

Tempting, but money isn’t everything.

WoodSpinner

User avatar
Watty
Posts: 20004
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by Watty » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:37 am

Spirit Rider wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:07 pm
Watty wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:12 pm
In addition to supply chain disruptions that could also be related to how R-22(freon) cannot be manufactured after January 1st 2020. This has driven the price so some people that had repairable R-22 AC may have replaced them instead of repairing them.
New r-22 split systems aren't even being manufactured anymore. Any new system installations would be with R-410a systems. Any supply chain disruptions would be to R-401a components and not R-22 components.
I agree but if you have an old R-22 AC that needs a repair in the past it might have made sense to go on and repair it. Now that R-22 is a lot more expensive then more people would choose to replace rather than repair. That could increase the demand for new ACs which may have helped deplete the available inventory.

curmudgeon
Posts: 2069
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:00 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by curmudgeon » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:18 am

CardinalRule wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:59 pm
Diet Mountain Dew in cans are nowhere to be found in my area. Ditto Diet Barq's Root Beer in cans.
rec630 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:54 pm
Kenkat wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:50 am
Caffeine free Coke or Pepsi. We talked to one of the Coca-Cola reps at the store and he said there was an aluminum shortage and so they were only making their core product lines.
Ah...not only are caffeine free products missing, Cherry coke in the mini cans have disappeared from everywhere.
Diet Mt Dew seemed to bounce around with Mt Dew "Zero" in my area for a while; maybe the marketing folks were playing around. Back in general supply here, though.

Fresca is very odd in supply, but that seems to have been going on for the last several years (mostly summer only now). I think Coke is trying to get the proliferation of product lines under control; they've been buying, adding new lines, and spinning variants so much that it's getting to be a real challenge to manage.

Fritschen
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:25 am

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by Fritschen » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:28 am

I had exceptional difficulty securing a large dog travel kennel, as all brick & mortar stores were out of stock and all online retailers were either out of stock or had a shipping restriction.

User avatar
CardinalRule
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:01 am
Location: United States

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by CardinalRule » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:48 am

curmudgeon wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:18 am
CardinalRule wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:59 pm
Diet Mountain Dew in cans are nowhere to be found in my area. Ditto Diet Barq's Root Beer in cans.
rec630 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:54 pm
Kenkat wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:50 am
Caffeine free Coke or Pepsi. We talked to one of the Coca-Cola reps at the store and he said there was an aluminum shortage and so they were only making their core product lines.
Ah...not only are caffeine free products missing, Cherry coke in the mini cans have disappeared from everywhere.
Diet Mt Dew seemed to bounce around with Mt Dew "Zero" in my area for a while; maybe the marketing folks were playing around. Back in general supply here, though.

Fresca is very odd in supply, but that seems to have been going on for the last several years (mostly summer only now). I think Coke is trying to get the proliferation of product lines under control; they've been buying, adding new lines, and spinning variants so much that it's getting to be a real challenge to manage.
Yep, for Coke there was a mention of culling the herd to remove "zombies" from the lineup when KO released earnings. The delicious Orange Vanilla variant of Coke Zero Sugar is another product I have not been able to find this past week, in cans. :(

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/coca- ... 2020-07-21

There definitely seems to be an aluminum shortage, though, and so I assume Coke and Pepsi (and their local bottlers) are having to make decisions.

User avatar
Raymond
Posts: 1595
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:04 am

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by Raymond » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:02 am

Kennedy wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:40 pm
Kraft SPIRAL mac 'n cheese
Kraft Spaghetti Classics Tangy Italian Pasta for my teenager.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

sailaway
Posts: 1786
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 1:11 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by sailaway » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:03 am

Canned bean sprouts. And they must be canning a different variety than one gets fresh, because they are much thicker, hence they hold up in curry in a way that don't believe fresh would.

TSR
Posts: 911
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:08 am

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by TSR » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:21 pm

wfrobinette wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:48 pm
TSR wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:40 am
I had a huge amount of trouble finding decent-quality hair clippers on Amazon and other online sources. I ultimately tracked them down a beauty store that does more business to industry professionals and in hair extensions. But it was enough trouble to find them that it sort of makes you doubt some fundamental tenets of micro-economics/capitalism. Sure, it could take a few months to ramp up production, but after five months you can't pump out more of the one thing you sell to keep Target and Amazon supplied with clippers? Talk about a wasted opportunity. I'm sure there's information here I'm missing, but jeez. (And I'm aware that there are different supply chains for things like retail and wholesale food/toilet paper, etc., but that wouldn't seem to apply to this particular consumer item.)
Its called a just in time supply chain. No manufacturer has weeks of raw materials on hand. If they are missing just 1 piece they are stopped from making even 1. it could be as simple as a screw. Once they start making them, they stage then get on a boat for a several week journey to the port, where they again await for customs clearance which is probably still backed up, then shipped to warehouses of the retailers then out to the stores.

I can tell you from experience it can take as much as a 5 month lead time to get things made and over here. I know clothing is different but retailers are buying/making fall of 2021 clothes now.
Oh I believe it, and your example is very instructive. It just seems like a real systemic failing if the big moment where everyone wants your products comes and you can't be ready for it within, say, four months. I recognize that businesses might find so many benefits from the just-in-time model that they are willing to miss out on a moment like this, but it definitely challenges some of the assumptions baked into those supply/demand curves we worked on back in micro-economics class in college.

Nyarlathotep
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:24 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:45 pm

tooluser wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:10 pm
Frozen vegetables here.
Yep, frozen cut-leaf spinach being the hardest to find consistently in my area (metro Atlanta suburbs). Very odd, since frozen "chopped" spinach is readily available, so why not "cut leaf"??

Also, rubbing alcohol remains basically impossible to find at local stores unless you happen to be there right after the shelves are stocked / restocked.

User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 10380
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:12 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:45 pm
tooluser wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:10 pm
Frozen vegetables here.
Yep, frozen cut-leaf spinach being the hardest to find consistently in my area (metro Atlanta suburbs). Very odd, since frozen "chopped" spinach is readily available, so why not "cut leaf"??

Also, rubbing alcohol remains basically impossible to find at local stores unless you happen to be there right after the shelves are stocked / restocked.
Funny... back in the early days of the pandemic, I was searching high and low for frozen *chopped* spinach, and could only find frozen "cut", even though online it often showed "chopped" as available.

And alas, no matter how much I emphasized "NO substitution" (in a variety of ways, including interactive chat), we still ended up with quite a few packages of other types of frozen spinach.
And one bag of fresh whole leaf spinach :confused

However, the classic *box* of frozen chopped spinach is now back. :happy
I haven't looked to see if the "cut" variety is frequently still there. I stocked up with several boxes, for a particular recipe, so I haven't browsed "frozen spinach" recently at all.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

wfrobinette
Posts: 1171
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:14 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by wfrobinette » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:18 pm

TSR wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:21 pm
wfrobinette wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:48 pm
TSR wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:40 am
I had a huge amount of trouble finding decent-quality hair clippers on Amazon and other online sources. I ultimately tracked them down a beauty store that does more business to industry professionals and in hair extensions. But it was enough trouble to find them that it sort of makes you doubt some fundamental tenets of micro-economics/capitalism. Sure, it could take a few months to ramp up production, but after five months you can't pump out more of the one thing you sell to keep Target and Amazon supplied with clippers? Talk about a wasted opportunity. I'm sure there's information here I'm missing, but jeez. (And I'm aware that there are different supply chains for things like retail and wholesale food/toilet paper, etc., but that wouldn't seem to apply to this particular consumer item.)
Its called a just in time supply chain. No manufacturer has weeks of raw materials on hand. If they are missing just 1 piece they are stopped from making even 1. it could be as simple as a screw. Once they start making them, they stage then get on a boat for a several week journey to the port, where they again await for customs clearance which is probably still backed up, then shipped to warehouses of the retailers then out to the stores.

I can tell you from experience it can take as much as a 5 month lead time to get things made and over here. I know clothing is different but retailers are buying/making fall of 2021 clothes now.
Oh I believe it, and your example is very instructive. It just seems like a real systemic failing if the big moment where everyone wants your products comes and you can't be ready for it within, say, four months. I recognize that businesses might find so many benefits from the just-in-time model that they are willing to miss out on a moment like this, but it definitely challenges some of the assumptions baked into those supply/demand curves we worked on back in micro-economics class in college.
Certainly does. Problem with Wahl, Remington and the likes now is that since they have sold so many clippers this year demand is likely to suffer for several years.

jlawrence01
Posts: 1641
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:34 am
Location: Southern AZ

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by jlawrence01 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:53 pm

TSR wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:21 pm
Oh I believe it, and your example is very instructive. It just seems like a real systemic failing if the big moment where everyone wants your products comes and you can't be ready for it within, say, four months. I recognize that businesses might find so many benefits from the just-in-time model that they are willing to miss out on a moment like this, but it definitely challenges some of the assumptions baked into those supply/demand curves we worked on back in micro-economics class in college.

On one hand, the consumer wants consumer products as cheap as possible. Products that used to be made in the Midwest in the 70's were moved yo the Southern states in the 80s to avoid paying union wages. As that became popular, wage pressures again hit and the production was moved to the Mexican maquiladoras in the mid-90s. That was pretty stable as the Mexican government would occasionally devalue the Mexican peso making it affordable.

Then fifteen years ago, thins started to head to China because what was costing $3.50/hour in Mexico could be done in China for less than $1. Since then, some production has moved to Vietnam and other SE Asian countries.

In other words, product that was once produced in Ohio and shipped 500 miles is now being shipped 8,000 miles with any number of complications.

I do not know of ANY manufacturer who can ramp up their production overnight and produce 4x their normal capacity. Long supply chains make it very difficult to add unscheduled productions, especially if the source is a country that can slow down exports at will.

There are a lot of things that could have been done a lot better during the first months of the pandemic. Retailers should have put strict limits on products in short supply. Only ALDI was doing that from day one. Manufacturers could have repackaged commercial products like toilet paper and sold them at retail. The Kimberly Clark CEO played dumb like people couldn't use office pack toilet paper at home. Large distributors like Sysco and others could repackage their foof service pack into retail packs. They did some of that

Longruninvestor
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:39 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by Longruninvestor » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:02 am

The Target and Walmart stores near me have been stocked out of men’s Hanes socks for many months. It’s strange and a bit frustrating. I’ve also been having trouble finding unsweetened iced tea in 2 quart bottles, but on occasion can find a six pack of single serve bottles. Maybe it’s time to start going barefoot and brewing my own tea. Ha.

MadHungarian
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:53 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by MadHungarian » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:10 am

Speaking of hair clippers, when i was at Costco the other day, a couple jokers in the next checkout line had two of the big flatbed carts stacked with a full pallet-load each of those good hair clippers that Costco sells. Must been nearly a thousand clippers they were buying. Presumably planning to re-sell on ebay or some such, for a hefty markup soon.

DSInvestor
Posts: 11300
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:42 am

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by DSInvestor » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:11 am

sailaway wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:06 am
Wahl was back at Costco this week!
Costco.com shows it as sold out but based on your post, I asked a costco rep in the store and they had them! Thanks.
Wiki

sailaway
Posts: 1786
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 1:11 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by sailaway » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:22 am

DSInvestor wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:11 am
sailaway wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:06 am
Wahl was back at Costco this week!
Costco.com shows it as sold out but based on your post, I asked a costco rep in the store and they had them! Thanks.
Yay!

DH still hasn't let me cut his hair. He doesn't want to sit still long enough unless he is working.

And I don't need to do anything with mine because I buzzed it down when my SIL started chemo. It was the strays left after three separate attempts at a buzz cut that got me looking for a replacement.

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 10715
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:24 am

Apparently Cilantro is tough to find, and memo to Instacart: butter lettuce is not a substitute although the colors are similar.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

ddurrett896
Posts: 1277
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by ddurrett896 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:25 am

Large container of taco seasoning.

Kompass
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by Kompass » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:30 am

ddurrett896 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:25 am
Large container of taco seasoning.
Running low but available now salt free taco seasoning 1lb https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
The large print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

GlennK
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:20 am

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by GlennK » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:10 pm

ddurrett896 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:25 am
Large container of taco seasoning.
https://www.mccormick.com/recipes/other ... lsrc=aw.ds

Prefer to salt to my taste (which is none)

User avatar
Clever_Username
Posts: 1698
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:24 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by Clever_Username » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:42 pm

Still haven't found PowerAde Zero White Cherry ... or even the nonzero variety. Possibly since early March, and my supplies are running low.

Ralph's (local Kroger affiliate) website says they have it at one 20 minutes away and I am seriously considering driving over there to find out.

Edit Wait, I found Zero White Cherry ... at a Circle K. On tap. For 99cents + tax (but not CRV) got a 44 oz. I think that's cheaper than I usually paid for the 28 oz bottles.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.

campy2010
Posts: 986
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:01 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by campy2010 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:19 pm

ddurrett896 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:25 am
Large container of taco seasoning.
Penzys is my all time favorite place to get spices. They're probably slightly more expensive than the average bottle from Costco or wherever, but the quality is much, much higher.

https://www.penzeys.com/

sailaway
Posts: 1786
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 1:11 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by sailaway » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:22 pm

campy2010 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:19 pm
ddurrett896 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:25 am
Large container of taco seasoning.
Penzys is my all time favorite place to get spices. They're probably slightly more expensive than the average bottle from Costco or wherever, but the quality is much, much higher.

https://www.penzeys.com/
How do you determine that?

campy2010
Posts: 986
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:01 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by campy2010 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:42 pm

sailaway wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:22 pm
campy2010 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:19 pm
ddurrett896 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:25 am
Large container of taco seasoning.
Penzys is my all time favorite place to get spices. They're probably slightly more expensive than the average bottle from Costco or wherever, but the quality is much, much higher.

https://www.penzeys.com/
How do you determine that?
Mostly taste. Much stronger/nicer flavor than standard store-bought bottled spices. That said, their spices aren't organic but they tend to not contain fillers/stabilizers/anti-caking agents (always check the label if you want filler-free/gluten-free spices).

Mudpuppy
Posts: 6318
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:26 am
Location: Sunny California

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by Mudpuppy » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:09 pm

MadHungarian wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:10 am
Speaking of hair clippers, when i was at Costco the other day, a couple jokers in the next checkout line had two of the big flatbed carts stacked with a full pallet-load each of those good hair clippers that Costco sells. Must been nearly a thousand clippers they were buying. Presumably planning to re-sell on ebay or some such, for a hefty markup soon.
People doing things like this are why I refuse to pay surge pricing for something unless it's absolutely necessary. And it's also why I wish more retailers had item limits. I try to keep all my purchases at no more than 2 of each item unless it's something small like individual servings of yogurt.

ddurrett896
Posts: 1277
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by ddurrett896 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:15 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:09 pm
People doing things like this are why I refuse to pay surge pricing for something unless it's absolutely necessary. And it's also why I wish more retailers had item limits. I try to keep all my purchases at no more than 2 of each item unless it's something small like individual servings of yogurt.
The good news it that when people surge the price, the people who actually need them has access to them.

I live in an area that gets hit by hurricanes. The week before, somebody goes and buys all the generators to mark up. If he didn't do that, every other person would buy a generator and sit on it thru the storm, never posting it up for sale.

Those who actually need one (medical device that require power, mother with a ton of frozen break milk, etc.) don't have access since everyone purchased a single unit.

The guy that bought a bunch will gouge you, but at least you can actually get one. In a perfect world, only those people who really need them (medical devices, etc.) would purchase them but that's not that case and will never be.

PS I would never bulk buy stuff like that but it's a necessary evil.

iamlucky13
Posts: 1934
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:28 pm
Location: Western Washington

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:26 pm

The local home improvement store was out of pressure treated 4x4's and bagged gravel last weekend, and low or out of stock on quite a few other building items that are normally no trouble to find.

For the first time I can ever remember, there also was no culled lumber set aside at a discount.

I'm guessing stay-at-home vacation projects, combined with shipping issues and some industries working at a slower pace due to measures to reduce workplace transmission will continue to drive similar shortages for a while.

I will be calling the lumber yard this week for my main order for my next project, but was hoping to grab a handful to get my project started on this past Sunday, when the lumber yard was closed.

c1over8
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:15 am

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by c1over8 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:41 pm

campy2010 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:42 pm
sailaway wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:22 pm
campy2010 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:19 pm
ddurrett896 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:25 am
Large container of taco seasoning.
Penzys is my all time favorite place to get spices. They're probably slightly more expensive than the average bottle from Costco or wherever, but the quality is much, much higher.

https://www.penzeys.com/
How do you determine that?
Mostly taste. Much stronger/nicer flavor than standard store-bought bottled spices. That said, their spices aren't organic but they tend to not contain fillers/stabilizers/anti-caking agents (always check the label if you want filler-free/gluten-free spices).
I agree that Penzeys is generally higher quality. I base this assessment on using Penzeys and then switching to whatever they had at kroger and immediately regretting it. I specifically call to mind separate instances of using cumin, garlic, and cayenne pepper as a dominant ingredient and immediately noticing the dish didn't taste as good. The kroger cumin was so bad I threw it away after the first use. I have a Penzeys nearby and usually only buy their spices when they have a coupon or freebie deal which usually make my purchases not much more expensive than the grocery store and sometimes cheaper.

6bquick
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:56 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by 6bquick » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:56 pm

ddurrett896 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:15 pm
Mudpuppy wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:09 pm
People doing things like this are why I refuse to pay surge pricing for something unless it's absolutely necessary. And it's also why I wish more retailers had item limits. I try to keep all my purchases at no more than 2 of each item unless it's something small like individual servings of yogurt.
The good news it that when people surge the price, the people who actually need them has access to them.

I live in an area that gets hit by hurricanes. The week before, somebody goes and buys all the generators to mark up. If he didn't do that, every other person would buy a generator and sit on it thru the storm, never posting it up for sale.

Those who actually need one (medical device that require power, mother with a ton of frozen break milk, etc.) don't have access since everyone purchased a single unit.

The guy that bought a bunch will gouge you, but at least you can actually get one. In a perfect world, only those people who really need them (medical devices, etc.) would purchase them but that's not that case and will never be.

PS I would never bulk buy stuff like that but it's a necessary evil.

I feel that gougers are scumbag troglodytes by-and-large, but that is an unusually optimistic outlook on price gouging and an angle I'd honestly never considered. I appreciate the different perspective. Thanks.

Mudpuppy
Posts: 6318
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:26 am
Location: Sunny California

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by Mudpuppy » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:12 pm

ddurrett896 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:15 pm
The good news it that when people surge the price, the people who actually need them has access to them.

I live in an area that gets hit by hurricanes. The week before, somebody goes and buys all the generators to mark up. If he didn't do that, every other person would buy a generator and sit on it thru the storm, never posting it up for sale.

Those who actually need one (medical device that require power, mother with a ton of frozen break milk, etc.) don't have access since everyone purchased a single unit.
Perhaps I'm showing my Californian side too much, but in California, the scenario of price gouging you gave is illegal when a disaster has been declared: https://oag.ca.gov/consumers/pricegougi ... gdisasters

The problem is finding and fining everyone who engaged in prohibited price gouging. There was talk of investigations being started early on in the pandemic, but I never saw follow-up on those investigations.

User avatar
Clever_Username
Posts: 1698
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:24 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by Clever_Username » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:32 pm

Clever_Username wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:42 pm
Still haven't found PowerAde Zero White Cherry ... or even the nonzero variety. Possibly since early March, and my supplies are running low.

Ralph's (local Kroger affiliate) website says they have it at one 20 minutes away and I am seriously considering driving over there to find out.

Edit Wait, I found Zero White Cherry ... at a Circle K. On tap. For 99cents + tax (but not CRV) got a 44 oz. I think that's cheaper than I usually paid for the 28 oz bottles.
Success. I went to the Ralph's 20 minutes away, passing like five other grocery stores in the meantime, and got five of the 28oz White Cherry Powerade. Not zero, but I'll water it down and it'll work similar enough.

And on the way home, I stopped at a Total Wine and found a Radler that might be like the Trader Joe's one that they don't seem to have this year (sadness!), hopefully it tastes like my memory, we'll find out tonight.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.

User avatar
telemark
Posts: 2681
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:35 am

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by telemark » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:47 pm

You can add pivot cups for Penny skateboards to the list. Out of stock everywhere, including the manufacturer's site. Guess I'll have to do like the guy on YouTube and cut the fingertips off rubber gloves.

Kennedy
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:47 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by Kennedy » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:39 pm

CO2 refill cartridges for Sodastream (fizzy water maker). Bed Bath and Beyond sells out of them as soon as they come in, per the customer service agent. Walmart and Target no longer carry them in my area.

Bed Bath and Beyond also has many empty shelves... especially in the sheets department. Out-of-stock online as well.

User avatar
Elsebet
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:28 pm
Location: Erie, PA

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by Elsebet » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:52 pm

c1over8 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:41 pm
I agree that Penzeys is generally higher quality. I base this assessment on using Penzeys and then switching to whatever they had at kroger and immediately regretting it. I specifically call to mind separate instances of using cumin, garlic, and cayenne pepper as a dominant ingredient and immediately noticing the dish didn't taste as good. The kroger cumin was so bad I threw it away after the first use. I have a Penzeys nearby and usually only buy their spices when they have a coupon or freebie deal which usually make my purchases not much more expensive than the grocery store and sometimes cheaper.
I love Penzey's too but for cumin I buy whole cumin seeds and grind a small amount at a time, I find that is superior to any ground bottled cumin.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

Leesbro63
Posts: 6645
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by Leesbro63 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:16 pm

Has “the real” Lysol come back to being available? I still
cant find it in Pittsburgh. I’m referring to the big can aerosol Lysol. Not the messy “spritz” version.

Mudpuppy
Posts: 6318
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:26 am
Location: Sunny California

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by Mudpuppy » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:59 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:16 pm
Has “the real” Lysol come back to being available? I still
cant find it in Pittsburgh. I’m referring to the big can aerosol Lysol. Not the messy “spritz” version.
I wouldn't count on there being a steady supply of specific types of household disinfectants for a while. Demand is high and production lines might be focusing on different products than what you're wanting to purchase. Some production capacity might also be dedicated to medical facility disinfectants, which is certainly understandable in these times. So you might have to just live with the spritz version for a while, or even make your own spray out of diluted bleach.

Leesbro63
Posts: 6645
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by Leesbro63 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:23 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:59 pm
Leesbro63 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:16 pm
Has “the real” Lysol come back to being available? I still
cant find it in Pittsburgh. I’m referring to the big can aerosol Lysol. Not the messy “spritz” version.
I wouldn't count on there being a steady supply of specific types of household disinfectants for a while. Demand is high and production lines might be focusing on different products than what you're wanting to purchase. Some production capacity might also be dedicated to medical facility disinfectants, which is certainly understandable in these times. So you might have to just live with the spritz version for a while, or even make your own spray out of diluted bleach.
Aw man. But yeah.

jebmke
Posts: 11040
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm
Location: Delmarva Peninsula

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by jebmke » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:25 pm

Kennedy wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:39 pm
CO2 refill cartridges for Sodastream (fizzy water maker). Bed Bath and Beyond sells out of them as soon as they come in, per the customer service agent. Walmart and Target no longer carry them in my area.

Bed Bath and Beyond also has many empty shelves... especially in the sheets department. Out-of-stock online as well.
had same problem. Ordered them direct from Sodastream.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

batpot
Posts: 991
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:48 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by batpot » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:29 pm

ddurrett896 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:25 am
Large container of taco seasoning.
have had no problem finding chili powder at Costco.
Take 2 minutes to whip up a batch for a pound of ground meat with other spices from the cabinet:
1 tablespoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon paprika
1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
1 ½ teaspoons of Montreal steak seasoning
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or something else to spice it up)

Kuna_Papa_Wengi
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:55 pm
Location: Rocinante

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by Kuna_Papa_Wengi » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:48 pm

Chest freezers.

User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 10380
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:00 pm

Kuna_Papa_Wengi wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:48 pm
Chest freezers.
Any freezers, for a while at least.

Appliance stores nearby were taking names/contact info for waiting lists.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

retired recently
Posts: 445
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Oddly Difficult to Find Items During the Pandemic

Post by retired recently » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:54 pm

We also could not find the sodastream replacements so I looked online to see options. Apparently you take off the top of the cartridge without too much effort and purchase pelletized dry ice to insert into the container. You have to keep weighing the canister to ensure you do not overfill but it is not a difficult process. I used chopsticks as the pellets I found were somewhat large, online it seemed they had very fine pellets but I could not locate those near me.

The dry ice we found was food grade apparently. We have been using for a few months now and like it very much. I think it cost about one and one-half dollars per cartridge to do it this way....a small fraction of what we were paying...

Post Reply