cost of Mazda CX-5 Touring?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
michaeljc70

Re: cost of Mazda CX-5 Touring?

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:06 am

smitcat wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:18 pm
RomeoMustDie wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:48 pm
smitcat wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:16 am
RomeoMustDie wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:08 pm
Nice choice of car.

Keep in mind that the turbo version may add more stress and maintenance to the engine.

I would still go for the turbo version for fun factor though if given the choice.

Also these cars should have a decent resale value because they are popular track car platforms.

Good luck.
"I would still go for the turbo version for fun factor though if given the choice."
We have two 2019 CX5's and we did not get the turbo version as it is quick enough for what it is in standard form.

"Also these cars should have a decent resale value because they are popular track car platforms."
I think you will find that resale values are below average for these cars - that is not a good reason to choose this specific car.
According to my calculations, Mazda Miata 5 year depreciation rate was 44% vs an average of 50.2%

Edit: whoops, misread cx5 for mx5 :beer
Yes - the title was CX5 and that is what I was reporting back on when we researched on ours about a year back.
We do have CX5's but they do depreciate more than average so I wanted to point that out.
When you say "average" is that all cars? Crossovers? Mid size crossovers? Mazdas? I know they depreciate faster than Toyotas and Hondas but what about GM, Ford, Chrysler, BMW, etc? I am only bringing this up because when I thought about selling my 2015 CX-5 a couple years ago I was surprised at how high the KBB was.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:33 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:06 am
smitcat wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:18 pm
RomeoMustDie wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:48 pm
smitcat wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:16 am
RomeoMustDie wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:08 pm
Nice choice of car.

Keep in mind that the turbo version may add more stress and maintenance to the engine.

I would still go for the turbo version for fun factor though if given the choice.

Also these cars should have a decent resale value because they are popular track car platforms.

Good luck.
"I would still go for the turbo version for fun factor though if given the choice."
We have two 2019 CX5's and we did not get the turbo version as it is quick enough for what it is in standard form.

"Also these cars should have a decent resale value because they are popular track car platforms."
I think you will find that resale values are below average for these cars - that is not a good reason to choose this specific car.
According to my calculations, Mazda Miata 5 year depreciation rate was 44% vs an average of 50.2%

Edit: whoops, misread cx5 for mx5 :beer
Yes - the title was CX5 and that is what I was reporting back on when we researched on ours about a year back.
We do have CX5's but they do depreciate more than average so I wanted to point that out.
When you say "average" is that all cars? Crossovers? Mid size crossovers? Mazdas? I know they depreciate faster than Toyotas and Hondas but what about GM, Ford, Chrysler, BMW, etc? I am only bringing this up because when I thought about selling my 2015 CX-5 a couple years ago I was surprised at how high the KBB was.

You can use this site or others to compare to whichever other models you like...
https://caredge.com/mazda/cx-5/depreciation
I would not be comparing the Mazda to a BMW in any case.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:47 am

k2murray wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:43 pm
I have been car shopping for a Mazda CX-5 as well these last couple of weeks. If it helps in Southern California the best price I've found for a 2020 Grand Touring is $29,200 and a 2020 GT Reserve for $31,500.
Is this OTD pricing or is this before dealer fees and such? Also which incentives were used?

I'd be all over that GT Reserve at 10+% off the 35+k sticker. The two models are nearly 5k apart in sticker.

KBB has a fair price range starting at 32.9 on that one.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:54 am

RevFran wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:02 am
My hesitation is just that the lowest price (again, 10% lower than most of the other prices) is so much lower that I honestly just feel... suspicious and worried. When I’ve quoted the really low otd to some of the other dealers, they haven’t even tried to bargain // they’ve just said “if you have that offer, take it; we can’t match it.” So it seems — odd. I can’t figure out how this one place is coming in so low.

At any rate, thanks to everyone for your input!

Make sure you're getting OTD pricing that includes dealer fees and add-ons.

Calling around asking dealers for their "best price" is not exactly rocket science or unique. Dealerships get these types of calls a dozen times a day. It's really not you being a smart consumer or a BH. Less scrupulous dealerships will give you an attractive price on the car, and then charge all sorts of doc fees (e.g. $1000 on up) to make up the difference. Your Mazda dealerships are paying the same for the goods.

Do you know the invoice on the car you're buying?

azanon

Post by azanon » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:01 am

I think people worry too much about price. Just go to Truecar and pick a price ~ on the great/excellent line, offer that (they'll take it), and then call it a day (don't buy any extras). The real money on cars is saved by keeping them a very long time, not obsessing over how much you paid for it. Keep a car at least 10 years and hopefully much more, and whether you paid $32.8K vs 34K won't matter much because you buy the darn things so infrequently.

Also, buying the RIGHT car (a non-luxury, reliable one) will save you a lot of money. CX-5 qualifies.....

When I brag about my car purchases, I usually point out how little effort I made - one email to the general manager (then he accepts), and then maybe 45 minutes tops at the dealer (cause I pay cash). Don't worry, they're usually plenty displeased with me at great/excellent truecar price + NO extras (e.g. extended warranties, no car loan, and such).

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:08 am

Many of these responses may have gotten derailed by the turbo arguments and are missing the point that the OP is only getting OTD quotes that include a trade-in. The I doubt that all the dealers have driven the trade and any OTD offer will be contingent on that, so I can easily see the OTD price changing based on the dealer seeing the trade. Plus some dealers may simply want the trade more than others, accounting for the differences. This is not a typical situation where people are getting OTD prices for a new car.

Topic Author
RevFran

Post by RevFran » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:38 pm

Well, 1 made the purchase today: When I got my trade to the dealer they valued it somewhat lower than they had over email but still I saved about 1k compared to all other offers (who also had not seen my trade in person). So,$20,520 plus a 2013 Ford C-Max energi with 75k miles. Thanks to everyone for your input.

econprof

Post by econprof » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:50 am

JAZZISCOOL wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:00 pm
Following this thread as I test drove a couple CX-5's pre-pandemic.

econprof: curious about your comment re: white driving up the price. I know white is popular but haven't heard this before. Did a dealer tell you this or other? Any other light colors e.g. silver that have a higher price? I am considering a lighter color for heat reasons.
I saw it in the online listings and also the dealer confirmed. Not specific to the CX5— white cars are just popular and sell fast.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:16 am

econprof wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:50 am
JAZZISCOOL wrote:

econprof: curious about your comment re: white driving up the price. I know white is popular but haven't heard this before. Did a dealer tell you this or other? Any other light colors e.g. silver that have a higher price? I am considering a lighter color for heat reasons.
I saw it in the online listings and also the dealer confirmed. Not specific to the CX5— white cars are just popular and sell fast.

Silver first then white and then black but they do not dribe up price to purchase....
https://www.kbb.com/car-advice/what-are ... rs-to-buy/

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:56 am

smitcat wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:16 am
econprof wrote:
JAZZISCOOL wrote:

Silver first then white and then black but they do not dribe up price to purchase....
Thanks for the link! I've never had a black car but it seems they show more dirt; however that could be a preconceived bias. They look great when they're clean.

White cars/SUVs of all brands seem popular in my area. I had a silver Toyota once and the paint eventually peeled but I believe they have improved the paint formulas and processes since then.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:23 am

smitcat wrote:
econprof wrote:
JAZZISCOOL wrote:

I don't understand your comment. Sometimes the price of colors has nothing to do with what the color is or how popular it might be, it has to do with the complexity of the paint.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:30 am

tibbitts wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:23 am
smitcat wrote:
econprof wrote:
JAZZISCOOL wrote:

I don't understand your comment. Sometimes the price of colors has nothing to do with what the color is or how popular it might be, it has to do with the complexity of the paint.
We purchases 2 CX5's about a year ago - one had a premium price for the color and the other did not.
The exterior color 'white' does not call for a premium price on the CX5 nor any other car/truck we have seen.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:23 am

smitcat wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:30 am
tibbitts wrote:
smitcat wrote:
econprof wrote:
JAZZISCOOL wrote:

We purchases 2 CX5's about a year ago - one had a premium price for the color and the other did not.
The exterior color 'white' does not call for a premium price on the CX5 nor any other car/truck we have seen.
Snowflake White Pearl as well as Machine Gray and Soul Red are a $200 upcharge on the 2020 Mazda CX-5 because they are premium colors (I believe this has always been the case for these colors). This is the only white available for the 2020 CX-5.

See here:
https://www.hallmazdamilwaukee.com/blog ... 00)%3B%202.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:31 am

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:23 am
smitcat wrote:
tibbitts wrote:
smitcat wrote:
econprof wrote:

Snowflake White Pearl as well as Machine Gray and Soul Red are a $200 upcharge on the 2020 Mazda CX-5 because they are premium colors (I believe this has always been the case for these colors). This is the only white available for the 2020 CX-5.

See here:
https://www.hallmazdamilwaukee.com/blog ... 00)%3B%202.
I stand corrected on the Mazda 'snowflake pearl white' thank you. We did get one in Soul Red and I know we paid a premium...never looked at the white at Mazda.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:35 am

smitcat wrote:
tibbitts wrote:
smitcat wrote:
econprof wrote:
JAZZISCOOL wrote:

CX5 Color Options:

Machine Gray Metallic (extra $300)
Soul Red Crystal Metallic (extra $595)
Snowflake White Pearl Mica (extra $200)
Sonic Silver Metallic
Jet Black Mica
Deep Crystal Blue Mica
Eternal Blue Mica

I would not have guessed white as having an upcharge either.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:50 am

tibbitts wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:35 am
It's not a flat white, it has a very fine metal flake undertone that shows up in the sun.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:26 am

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:50 am
tibbitts wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:35 am
It's not a flat white, it has a very fine metal flake undertone that shows up in the sun.
Sounds like marketing genius.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:17 pm

azanon wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:01 am
I think people worry too much about price. Just go to Truecar and pick a price ~ on the great/excellent line, offer that (they'll take it), and then call it a day (don't buy any extras). The real money on cars is saved by keeping them a very long time, not obsessing over how much you paid for it. Keep a car at least 10 years and hopefully much more, and whether you paid $32.8K vs 34K won't matter much because you buy the darn things so infrequently.

Also, buying the RIGHT car (a non-luxury, reliable one) will save you a lot of money. CX-5 qualifies.....

When I brag about my car purchases, I usually point out how little effort I made - one email to the general manager (then he accepts), and then maybe 45 minutes tops at the dealer (cause I pay cash). Don't worry, they're usually plenty displeased with me at great/excellent truecar price + NO extras (e.g. extended warranties, no car loan, and such).
well. I also wrote 1 Email..but sent to 10 dealers. :D Very little effort to get the lowest price possible.

azanon

Post by azanon » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:41 am

theplayer11 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:17 pm
azanon wrote:

well. I also wrote 1 Email..but sent to 10 dealers. :D Very little effort to get the lowest price possible.
Yeah that works. This all came to me though personal experience - i had one car purchase I probably got as low as anyone, but then all the stress and hard negotiation i think might have taken more “years” off of me than simply raising that offer line high enough that i know they’ll take it. That extra up to 1k I pay is worth it, but i guess to each his/her own.

Also i make enough now in my real job where I’m not exactly cheap. Meaning i cant really afford me to waste too much time on it :)

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:52 am

theplayer11 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:17 pm
azanon wrote:

It might depend on region, but if you email 10 dealers and 7 won't give you a price but tell you they'll talk about it when you come in, how do you know you've gotten the best price?