Brazil: new Wiki page

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author
DJN

Brazil: new Wiki page

Post by DJN » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:53 am

Hi,
please see the attached draft of a new page in the Bogleheads Wiki on Investing from Brazil: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/User:DJ ... rom_Brazil
If you have any comments or additions please post a reply and I will amend the page.
Thanks in advance,
DJN
Yah shure. | Have a look at the Bogleheads Wiki in the first instance.

mcflybr

Re: Brazil: new Wiki page

Post by mcflybr » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:50 am

The page already have a good amount of content but I wonder what you want to achieve with it. Realistically, if a brazilian investor is in this forum they're way past the stage of asking "what's Tesouro Direto" and their questions are more sophisticated.

Maybe a better way of doing it is having a page with introductory content or even a link elsewhere as there's enough material around the web for the basics and focus on what a bogleheads-oriented strategy would look like. Listing some examples with no particular order:

* Explain that fees are way smaller if you have enough to invest abroad. USA is normally the easiest, especially with brokerages like Avenue that focus on Brazilians
* Explain that many options without investing abroad would be limited to "Investidores Qualificados" (qualified investors). There's still the ETFs as it's listed there which is good, though.
* Write that, while a 2% expense ratio is outrageous in this community, there might be situations where funds that look expensive elsewhere could be a good idea. Think of PGBL retirement funds that could be used in a similar way to a 401k from the US to have tax-deferred investments.
* Some pointers on how to invest abroad or to send money to a foreign brokerage could be useful.

All that said, cool to see fellow brazilians around here :happy

PS: also, may be useful to acknowledge in the page that, for Brazil, majority of content is in Portuguese and elsewhere. I guess this is a community that would cater to very sophisticate Brazilian investors, unfortunately. Content should reflect this or no one will find it relevant.

Topic Author
DJN

Re: Brazil: new Wiki page

Post by DJN » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:16 am

Hi mcflybr,
thanks for your comments.
The page follows more or less the style of the Bogleheads Wiki, and I feel that any new investor needs to have a broad introduction so as to satisfy the widest readership. You are right about the Portuguese language being important for most investors from Brazil but I wanted to do a page here first, and my Portuguese language skills are not good enough.
Thanks for the four points that you made these are very important and I will incorporate them.
Last thing is that the page is under construction and all relevant comments can be incorporated in due course (work in progress).
Thanks again,
DJN
p.s. I am not Brazilian but I have connections and interests there
Yah shure. | Have a look at the Bogleheads Wiki in the first instance.