Four Fund Portfolio

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
bog72upCash

Four Fund Portfolio

Post by bog72upCash » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:56 pm

I am currently re-assessing my portfolio.

I am interested in doing a 4-fund approach where I will place 70% into Stocks (US/Int'l), 10% in US Bonds, 10% in REITs, and 10% in Gold.

I currently have two ETFs: VTEB & MUB. Should I dump the two and get a bond mutual fund (I currently hold VFORX which has about 16% in bonds mostly US)??

I also am planning on getting rid of the single stocks GOOGL & KO since I invest in mutual funds.

Would welcome some opinions. :)
:sharebeer :sharebeer

UPDATE:
Emergency funds: ~$5K

Debt: $11,500 (deferred interest; payable in about 1 year before interest kicks in)

Tax Filing Status: Single

Tax Rate: 22% Federal

State of Residence
FL:

Desired Asset allocation: 70% stocks / 10% bonds / 10% REIT / 10% GOLD
Desired International allocation: 35% of the 70% of stocks

Size of your current total portfolio: low five-figures

Show each fund or holding as a percentage of the entire portfolio, not as a percentage of the account that holding is in. If this instruction is not clear, see the example under the Key Points section below.
39.12% VFORX Roth IRA Vanguard Target Retirement 2040 Fund Investor
43.82% VFIAX Roth IRA Vanguard 500 Index Fund Admiral Shares
10.60% SWISX Roth IRA Schwab International Index Fund
0.32% VTEB Vanguard Tax Exempt Bond Index EFT
0.34% MUB iShares National Muni Bond ETF
1.52% SCHZ Roth IRA Schwab US Aggregate Bond
3.97% GOOGL
0.31% KO

Current retirement assets
Payout, @ current rate, company estimated retirement award per their chart, ~@$2070.00 per month (assuming early retirement @ age 56) and @62 $2800 per month. Social Security is not listed in this calculation.

Taxable None

Note: Total percentage of all the above accounts together (not each account individually) should equal 100%.

Contributions was doing $455/mo to the above listed Vanguard Funds. Recently added funds to SWISX Roth IRA Schwab International Index Fund after a total sale of a PRU Prudential stock
Last edited by bog72upCash on Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geerhardusvos

Re: Four Fund Portfolio

Post by geerhardusvos » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:59 pm

bog72upCash wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:56 pm

I am interested in doing a 4-fund approach where I will place 70% into Stocks (US/Int'l), 10% in US Bonds, 10% in REITs, and 10% in Gold.

I currently have two ETFs: VTEB & MUB. Should I dump the two and get a bond mutual fund (I currently hold VFORX which has about 16% in bonds mostly US)??

I also am planning on getting rid of the single stocks GOOGL & KO since I invest in mutual funds.

Please edit your post to give better information and you’ll get better answers: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6212
VTSAX and chill

Post by 123 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:50 am

bog72upCash wrote:
...I currently have two ETFs: VTEB & MUB. Should I dump the two and get a bond mutual fund (I currently hold VFORX which has about 16% in bonds mostly US)??...
VTEB and MUB are both municipal bond ETFs. They could be helpful to investors in high federal tax brackets who are also saddled with high state income tax rates. Investors subject to high federal (and state) taxes can benefit from the lower tax free yield of municipal bonds. If an investor is not in a high tax bracket they may get nothing from municipal bond investments other than a lower return.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

sycamore

Post by sycamore » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:14 pm

bog72upCash wrote:

As geerhardusvos noted in a previous post, you'll get better opinions if you provide us with basic info. Also suggest learning about and making your own Investment Policy Statement.

Regarding REITs and Gold, avoid investing in them at least until you can explain why you want to invest in them and how long you'll invest in them (short-term speculation versus long-term investing).

VTEB and MUB may be useful, depending on your specifics. In any case, they're redundant - no need for both.