Falcon 9 Launch to the International Space Station

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Falcon 9 Launch to the International Space Station

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 31, 2020 10:11 am

In preparation for hatch opening, instructions for the Dragon crew to collect their trash and clean up their food were given.

To anyone with kids - this is a great incentive to get some chores done. "Do you want to be like the astronauts? Take out the trash..." :D
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 31, 2020 11:27 am

For the upcoming media coverage for the hatch opening - They're currently discussing what camera and microphone to use and how it's plugged into the communications system.

The world's highest technology is available, and it all boils down to making sure the right connector is plugged in. :)

IT support at it's finest.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 31, 2020 12:19 pm

Anyone notice the "zero-g indicator" floating in the Dragon capsule?

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Sun May 31, 2020 12:49 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:19 pm
Anyone notice the "zero-g indicator" floating in the Dragon capsule?
Oh Heck yeah!
Pale Blue Dot

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sun May 31, 2020 9:02 pm

I just got a notice that the ISS will be visible in my area starting at 10:37 PM! Skies are crystal clear; first visit since April!

[Edited to add @10:43]

Awesome! Watched it fade from view as it entered the Earth’s shadow over (approximately) North Carolina.

rongos

Post by rongos » Sun May 31, 2020 10:24 pm

Is there any video of the booster landing on the sea platform? That is my favorite part of a SpaceX launch but the video cut out at exactly that moment. Did a search but nothing came up, so wondering if it simply doesn't exist.

Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:59 am

I think we'll have to wait until the video from the ship gets processed. There's no live stream.

Here's why: Why does the SpaceX droneship camera cut out?

The satellite link drops out due to vibration from the Stage 1 rocket's exhaust at the time of landing.

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:59 pm

I've been wrapped up in the launch for days now. I never knew I'd be so interested.

I'm looking for information on how the Falcon has such a quick liftoff. But I can't word a google search well enough to find good results. How does the Falcon do this? I'm not learned enough about rockets to know this intrinsically, but I have in my head that the time between ignition & liftoff has historically been "long" compared to what I saw on Saturday. I blinked & the Falcon was off the ground.

Leads appreciated!
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓

Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:53 am

You're right, that's tough to search for.

Launching a manned rocket is actually slower than an unmanned rocket (satellite launch). Why? Humans can't take much more than earth's pull of gravity, so they lower the acceleration to stay within bounds (3 G's). See: What g-force do astronauts experience during a rocket launch?

Unmanned rocket launches don't have those constraints, so they launch very quickly - up to 9 G's as I remember (can't find it via a google search).

You may have thought it was quick because the launch tower seemed to be smaller (shorter) than those used on previous rockets. The rocket will clear a shorter tower sooner than a taller one.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:23 am

I also heard that past rockets were clamped to the pad for a few seconds so they can ramp up to full engine performance. This is not done with the newer rockets.
Last edited by SimonJester on Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

jm1495

Post by jm1495 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:52 am

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:42 pm
My understanding from NASA is the launch window today, for just a 19-hour transit, was only one second wide. Miss it and the astronauts would miss the ISS. Given the weather conditions they had no choice but to scrub at least until the next window on Saturday.

Mean old Mr. Newton.

PJW
The "instantaneous launch window" is due to the type of fuel and oxidizer that SpaceX uses for the launch. They use densified liquid oxygen and RP1 which is chilled colder than normal liquid oxygen. This colder fuel allows for more fuel to be stored because it takes up less space the more dense it is. The downside is that the super chilled (-327 F) wants to absorb heat from the Florida atmosphere. In doing so it immediately turns into a gas, builds pressure and needs to be vented. These are the clouds of "smoke" witnessed before launch. Because they can't afford to lose much fuel/oxidizer before launching is why there is an instantaneous window.

Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:38 am

^^^ Thanks for the explanation. Instantaneous launch windows are used to save fuel and work within the engine's performance. I didn't realize there was a constraint on the propellant itself.

I found your explanation here (simplified): Why a SpaceX rocket launch of astronauts can't wait out bad weather - Business Insider

Also, a brief overview of instantaneous launch windows: Explained: Why Atlas 5 will have longer windows for station flights, spaceflightnow.com, November 18, 2015

BTW - You made me go lookup launch window in my textbook - "Fundamentals of Astrodynamics and Applications", by David A. Vallado. In 2004, I attended an STK training course. The author signed my book.

Although I'm retired now, I've always kept my college and work-related textbooks.

Jeep4Life

Post by Jeep4Life » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:59 am

"Although I'm retired now, I've always kept my college and work-related textbooks."

Yup, same for me...

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:58 pm

Bringing Booster into Canaveral now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKSWxZoIbsY
Pale Blue Dot

Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:46 pm

Awesome, thanks! 8-)

I missed the actual entrance into the port, but all you have to do is move the YouTube slider to the left and it backs up to the start of the broadcast. I watched it that way.

Now watching live.

BTW: Love the name of the second droneship (currently deployed to the StarLink mission): "Just Read the Instructions"

Angst

Post by Angst » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:29 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:46 pm
Awesome, thanks! 8-)

I missed the actual entrance into the port, but all you have to do is move the YouTube slider to the left and it backs up to the start of the broadcast. I watched it that way.

Now watching live.

BTW: Love the name of the second droneship (currently deployed to the StarLink mission): "Just Read the Instructions"
Thank you! I was getting tired of the present banter and so forth, wondering how I could see the start, and then re-read your post.
Perfect!

Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:39 pm

You're welcome. Check your video settings - It's even better in 1080p. They just stated that they'll keep going until 5 PM Eastern (20 minutes from now).

(Thanks to 4nursebee for finding the video.)

Angst

Post by Angst » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:48 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:39 pm
You're welcome. Check your video settings - It's even better in 1080p. They just stated that they'll keep going until 5 PM Eastern (20 minutes from now).

(Thanks to 4nursebee for finding the video.)
Oh yes! That IS better! :)

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:55 am

Thanks for the thoughts about time between ignition & liftoff. I have lots more youtube videos to watch now...

And for the video link of the most recent launch!
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓

Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:51 pm

Heads up! Dragon is returning home on Sunday. That's NASA's plan, as Hurricane Isaias has plans of his own - to plow over Florida on Sunday.

See: SpaceX - Launches
SpaceX and NASA are now targeting 7:34 p.m. EDT on Saturday, August 1 for Crew Dragon to autonomously undock from the Space Station, with the two astronauts aboard the spacecraft, and return to Earth.

Approximately 19 hours later, after jettisoning its trunk and re-entering Earth’s atmosphere, Dragon will splash down at one of seven targeted water landing sites off the coast of Florida at 2:42 p.m. EDT on Sunday, August 2.

5:45 p.m. Dragon hatch closure
7:34 p.m. Dragon autonomously undocks from the International Space Station
Live coverage starts August 1, 5:15 PM Eastern.

Update: The Dragon capsule is returning, not Falcon 9 (launch vehicle).

FlyLegacy500

Post by FlyLegacy500 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:35 pm

Yep, weather permitting splashdown at 11:42 am PDT Sunday. Go Bob and Doug! Looking forward to seeing you back at KSC soon.

Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:13 pm

Dragon crew's return home is now streaming live.

Direct link: Crew Demo-2 Departure

Tip: Adjust the video settings for 1080p 8-)

Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:39 pm

You can't make this stuff up. Astronauts have the same IT problems as everyone else.

Ground station: Use your iPads to get an activity update.
Crew (don't know which one): My iPad won't update. I'm getting an http error.
Ground station: Is Wi-fi or airplane mode on?
Crew: Airplane mode is on
Ground station: Is the problem on one iPad or both?
Crew: Just mine. The other one is OK
Ground station: Show us the display on one of the cameras
Crew: Here's my display
Ground station: Move a little closer to the camera so we can see it better
Ground station: OK, we can see the screen. We'll dig into it and get back to you.

Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:41 pm

The landing site is changing due to the weather. They have a lot of site options, so there was no concern about committing to return.

The final decision will be made tomorrow just before the deorbit burn. Looks like it will be somewhere in the Gulf of Mexico.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:59 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:41 pm
The landing site is changing due to the weather. They have a lot of site options, so there was no concern about committing to return.

The final decision will be made tomorrow just before the deorbit burn. Looks like it will be somewhere in the Gulf of Mexico.
I switched over to the local news after the separation from ISS and then saw the weather forecast. I had wondered if they would be changing the splash down point after seeing the forecast.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:42 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:39 pm
You can't make this stuff up. Astronauts have the same IT problems as everyone else.

Ground station: OK, we can see the screen. We'll dig into it and get back to you.

Dang, the Apple Stores in Houston are all currently closed due to covid, so no Genius Bar available :shock: :oops:

Surprised they didn’t delay the departure due to weather conditions. It seems the return date was pretty flexible when they originally launched. Did they need the parking spot at the ISS for another vehicle?

Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:28 am

^^^ :D

The announcers were very clear that they had enough landing locations regardless of where the Hurricane went. It was just a matter of timing the deorbit burn to land in the chosen spot. They'll make the decision when it's time to deorbit.

The stream just went live: Crew Demo-2 Splashdown
Dragon will splash down at one of seven targeted water landing sites off the coast of Florida at 2:42 p.m. EDT on Sunday, August 2.

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:16 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:39 pm

Um.... :oops:
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:06 pm

It's a "Go" for deorbit burn. Things start happening in about 40 minutes.

Live stream: Crew Demo-2 Splashdown

If your display can support it, adjust the video settings (the gear icon) to 1080p. 8-)

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:20 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:06 pm
It's a "Go" for deorbit burn. Things start happening in about 40 minutes.

Live stream: Crew Demo-2 Splashdown

If your display can support it, adjust the video settings (the gear icon) to 1080p. 8-)
It's also live on CSPAN now.

Pretty amazing stuff, for those of us who grew up with Space Flight type comic books :happy

And sometimes it's eery to focus on the idea that this is REAL... not some Disney/etc., production, as some of the claims were back in the very early days, especially with the moon landing.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.