iTunes playlist duplicates

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
PoppyA

iTunes playlist duplicates

Post by PoppyA » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:35 pm

WHY??? Seems like every year or so I end up with a bunch of duplicates on my playlists. I use iTunes on my iMac, iPad, & iPhone. On the phone & iPad I use the music app that comes with them. I have all my devices turned on to auto sync. I don’t use the cloud. WHY?, WHY?, WHY?

Topic Author
PoppyA

Re: iTunes playlist duplicates

Post by PoppyA » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:06 am

No one?

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:25 am

How do you add songs to playlists?

I number my "Mix Tape" play lists. Mix Tape 001, Mix Tape 002. When I get to 25 to 30 songs in a playlist, I start a new one.

I don't know if we have any magic answers. Sometimes I add a song twice. If I notice it, I just remove the duplicate from that play list.

Do multiple people (not devices) use the same Apple ID?

I would call it a minor nuisance. Every now and then scroll through play lists and delete duplicates.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

N.Y.Cab

Post by N.Y.Cab » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:39 am

I use a PC as the hub and duplicate playlist usually occurs after the PC or a device was restored from a backup and somehow not able to recognize each other as being previously paired. After deleting duplicate playlists, I would turn off automatic synch, delete all the playlists on the device then add back the original one and do manually synch.

fabdog

Post by fabdog » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:28 am

No one?
You may have more success on a board focused on Apple products, or on the tech support section of the Apple website?

Mike

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:25 pm

PoppyA wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:35 pm
WHY??? Seems like every year or so I end up with a bunch of duplicates on my playlists. I use iTunes on my iMac, iPad, & iPhone. On the phone & iPad I use the music app that comes with them. I have all my devices turned on to auto sync. I don’t use the cloud. WHY?, WHY?, WHY?
This has never happened to me.

When Apple stores open up again take it to the Genius Bar.

ColoradoRick

Post by ColoradoRick » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:58 pm

PoppyA - I've had the same thing happen to me. I assumed it was because sometimes when in lousy WiFi and Cell Tower range I tell iTunes to play just downloaded songs. I think it is a duplication of downloaded songs that Apple also stores in the iCloud. I saw you said you don't use the iCloud, but this is just my guess.

I have it happen to about 30% of my songs. Don't know why and wasn't double billed so I then lacked the energy/interest to do anything about it as it might interfere with my nap time. Sorry I'm not a better techie, but my 2 cents.