Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Post Reply
Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 22625
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:54 pm

OCWhale wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:40 pm
Kind of a small milestone, but I made a goal earlier this year to really get my budget tight to focus on growing my savings/retirement funds.

This marks the third month in a row that I've been able to live off of 50% of my take home (i.e. saving 50%)! I'm at $230K net worth today and hoping to hit $300K within the next two years when I turn 30!
There is nothing small about 50 percent savings rate or the amount you’ve accumulated! Congratulations!
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

OCWhale
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:59 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by OCWhale » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:31 pm

Thanks y'all, means a lot!

I came out of college with basically zero savings and spent the first couple years out of school struggling to save money living in NYC despite working on Wall St because I was so focused on getting my career off the ground and not missing out on any networking opportunities.

Now I'm a little further a long in my career and relocated to Texas so it's been nice to be able to finally play some catch up on the savings front!

Random Poster
Posts: 2202
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:17 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Random Poster » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:05 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:16 pm
Also remember the market can take away from those milestones periodically, as we have recently witnessed. Do not become discouraged. There will be lots of zigs and zags in the market and life along the way.
No kidding.

My milestone: Investments crossed $4 million today.

The zig-zag milestone: Investments were at $3,290,427 in the darker early days of the pandemic in March.

Portfolio has been roughly 50/50 for at least a year. I haven’t contributed anything to it since the $3.29M balance day (no dividend or interest reinvestment either) or done any rebalancing (back in March, the allocation was roughly 42/57, but I left it alone and let it ride and now it is back to the target).

modest_man
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 10:37 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by modest_man » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:59 pm

Once my 401K contribution clears, I will officially exceed $500,000 in total investments.

novemberrain
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed May 09, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by novemberrain » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:08 pm

Hit 1M in stocks (taxable + retirement) this month. Feels great to be in 2 comma investments club.

I had crossed the 1M in NW a few years back; but that was including home equity. Next milestone is aiming for both 1M in retirement alone and 1M in taxable stock alone.

:sharebeer

nepats
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:56 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by nepats » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:24 pm

nepats wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:49 am
I hit the 2 comma club in my 401K today :sharebeer Hope the current rally continues... 8-)
Lol but I hit the two c club today again! Let’s hope not again anytime soon

novemberrain
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed May 09, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by novemberrain » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:20 pm

nepats wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:24 pm
nepats wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:49 am
I hit the 2 comma club in my 401K today :sharebeer Hope the current rally continues... 8-)
Lol but I hit the two c club today again! Let’s hope not again anytime soon
Great. :sharebeer

Curious to know how much you allocate for taxable investments (stock) and how much they are.

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 8606
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm
Location: outside the echo chamber

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by whodidntante » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:04 pm

This gambler paid off the mortgage yesterday. I expected a brief moment of elation but it was anticlimactic. I've felt more excitement walking away from a poker table with a couple grand more than I came with. Maybe one of y'all can feel the excitement for me. :beer

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 18776
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:14 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:04 pm
This gambler paid off the mortgage yesterday. I expected a brief moment of elation but it was anticlimactic. I've felt more excitement walking away from a poker table with a couple grand more than I came with. Maybe one of y'all can feel the excitement for me. :beer
Congratulations anyway :D .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

OhBoyUhoh
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:16 pm
Location: SW Ohio

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by OhBoyUhoh » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:28 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:04 pm
This gambler paid off the mortgage yesterday. I expected a brief moment of elation but it was anticlimactic. I've felt more excitement walking away from a poker table with a couple grand more than I came with. Maybe one of y'all can feel the excitement for me. :beer
Probably anti-climatic because you knew it was going to happen. When you sit down at the table unless you're really over confident you don't know that you're going to come away a winner for sure. Whodidntante you're a winner in my book. congrats on paying off the mortgage 49k for me and chipping away.

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 20403
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by abuss368 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:35 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:04 pm
This gambler paid off the mortgage yesterday. I expected a brief moment of elation but it was anticlimactic. I've felt more excitement walking away from a poker table with a couple grand more than I came with. Maybe one of y'all can feel the excitement for me. :beer
Nonetheless - congrats on that milestone!
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 20403
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by abuss368 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:36 pm

Random Poster wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:05 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:16 pm
Also remember the market can take away from those milestones periodically, as we have recently witnessed. Do not become discouraged. There will be lots of zigs and zags in the market and life along the way.
No kidding.

My milestone: Investments crossed $4 million today.

The zig-zag milestone: Investments were at $3,290,427 in the darker early days of the pandemic in March.

Portfolio has been roughly 50/50 for at least a year. I haven’t contributed anything to it since the $3.29M balance day (no dividend or interest reinvestment either) or done any rebalancing (back in March, the allocation was roughly 42/57, but I left it alone and let it ride and now it is back to the target).
Incredible journey and that must feel great!
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Random Poster
Posts: 2202
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:17 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Random Poster » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:48 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:36 pm
Incredible journey and that must feel great!
Honestly, it doesn’t.

Or, at least, seeing $4M on paper isn’t at all what I thought that having such an amount would feel like.

I’ve written a few times about my financial anxiety issues, so I won’t go into that in this thread, but I will say that, as someone who is unemployed and extremely uncertain about the future (Do I try to get another job? Do I retire? Where do my wife and I go from here?), the current investment amount seems like it is not enough (even though objectively it likely is), confining (because that is all we’ve got to work with), and fleeting (because it could all go away tomorrow, so to speak) all at the same time.

It is just a number, but I am way too attached to it.

nepats
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:56 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by nepats » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:09 pm

novemberrain wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:20 pm
nepats wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:24 pm
nepats wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:49 am
I hit the 2 comma club in my 401K today :sharebeer Hope the current rally continues... 8-)
Lol but I hit the two c club today again! Let’s hope not again anytime soon
Great. :sharebeer

Curious to know how much you allocate for taxable investments (stock) and how much they are.
Currently, We save between 50-75% in taxable accounts as my retirement accounts. It will be a lot more going forward since we have super funded Kids college funds this year.

nepats
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:56 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by nepats » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:07 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:04 pm
This gambler paid off the mortgage yesterday. I expected a brief moment of elation but it was anticlimactic. I've felt more excitement walking away from a poker table with a couple grand more than I came with. Maybe one of y'all can feel the excitement for me. :beer
Congrats! As an amateur poker player and someone who has gone down the debt free phase, I can relate 100%!

RocketShipTech
Posts: 546
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:08 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by RocketShipTech » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:16 pm

Random Poster wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:48 pm
abuss368 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:36 pm
Incredible journey and that must feel great!
Honestly, it doesn’t.

Or, at least, seeing $4M on paper isn’t at all what I thought that having such an amount would feel like.

I’ve written a few times about my financial anxiety issues, so I won’t go into that in this thread, but I will say that, as someone who is unemployed and extremely uncertain about the future (Do I try to get another job? Do I retire? Where do my wife and I go from here?), the current investment amount seems like it is not enough (even though objectively it likely is), confining (because that is all we’ve got to work with), and fleeting (because it could all go away tomorrow, so to speak) all at the same time.

It is just a number, but I am way too attached to it.
“It could all go away tomorrow”?

If you feel that way just move to cash.

Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 22625
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:36 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:04 pm
This gambler paid off the mortgage yesterday. I expected a brief moment of elation but it was anticlimactic. I've felt more excitement walking away from a poker table with a couple grand more than I came with. Maybe one of y'all can feel the excitement for me. :beer
Congratulations. The elation will come when next months mortgage payment goes into your taxable account instead of the bank!
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

User avatar
Soul.in.Progress
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:24 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Soul.in.Progress » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:00 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:36 pm
whodidntante wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:04 pm
This gambler paid off the mortgage yesterday. I expected a brief moment of elation but it was anticlimactic. I've felt more excitement walking away from a poker table with a couple grand more than I came with. Maybe one of y'all can feel the excitement for me. :beer
Congratulations. The elation will come when next months mortgage payment goes into your taxable account instead of the bank!
Well said!! And congratulations, whodidntante!!
Start by doing what is necessary; | then do what is possible; | and suddenly you are doing the impossible. | -- Francis of Assisi

jasminetea
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun May 12, 2019 11:45 am
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by jasminetea » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:05 pm

29 and just shy of 200K.

Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 22625
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:42 pm

jasminetea wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:05 pm
29 and just shy of 200K.
Congratulations! :sharebeer
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

JimmyD
Posts: 858
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:03 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by JimmyD » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:11 am

Just realized this morning that we are able to comfortably live on my wife's salary alone. We are saving and investing over 100% of mine now.

Given our relative job stability (hers being high and mine being not so much, currently) - this particular milestone definitely feels good.

Thank you, Bogleheads!

student
Posts: 4960
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by student » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:05 am

Congratulations to all.

User avatar
Raymond
Posts: 1595
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:04 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Raymond » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:48 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:42 pm
jasminetea wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:05 pm
29 and just shy of 200K.
Congratulations! :sharebeer
Outstanding! At 29 (which was *several* years ago :D ), all I could say was that at least my net worth was > 0.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

jasminetea
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun May 12, 2019 11:45 am
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by jasminetea » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:55 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:42 pm
jasminetea wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:05 pm
29 and just shy of 200K.
Congratulations! :sharebeer
Thank you! :sharebeer

jasminetea
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun May 12, 2019 11:45 am
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by jasminetea » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:58 am

Raymond wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:48 am
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:42 pm
jasminetea wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:05 pm
29 and just shy of 200K.
Congratulations! :sharebeer
Outstanding! At 29 (which was *several* years ago :D ), all I could say was that at least my net worth was > 0.
Thanks Raymond! Thankful I found this group. Parents also instilled a more-extreme saving lifestyle and investing early mindset at a young age :mrgreen: ;-)

HootingSloth
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:38 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by HootingSloth » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:44 am

JimmyD wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:11 am
Just realized this morning that we are able to comfortably live on my wife's salary alone. We are saving and investing over 100% of mine now.

Given our relative job stability (hers being high and mine being not so much, currently) - this particular milestone definitely feels good.

Thank you, Bogleheads!
My wife and I are in a similar position regarding job stability and hit that milestone last year. A great place to be and a nice reduction in stress. Congratulations!

fortunefavored
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:18 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by fortunefavored » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:15 am

Somewhat pointless milestone but fun to see: 401k balance went over $1M for the first time.

(all previous 401ks and IRAs were rolled into this 401k to enable backdoor roth, so this is my only traditional IRA/401k account)

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 18776
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by ruralavalon » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:20 am

fortunefavored wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:15 am
Somewhat pointless milestone but fun to see: 401k balance went over $1M for the first time.

(all previous 401ks and IRAs were rolled into this 401k to enable backdoor roth, so this is my only traditional IRA/401k account)
I think that's fun to see. I don't believe it's pointless.

Congratulations :D .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

nepats
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:56 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by nepats » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:07 pm

fortunefavored wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:15 am
Somewhat pointless milestone but fun to see: 401k balance went over $1M for the first time.

(all previous 401ks and IRAs were rolled into this 401k to enable backdoor roth, so this is my only traditional IRA/401k account)
I think this is a big one since there aren’t many that hit this number because it’s pretty hard to hit. It requires consistent savings over a long time. So congrats! :sharebeer

User avatar
spdoublebass
Posts: 685
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:04 pm
Location: NY

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by spdoublebass » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:43 pm

Sometimes I feel like a very small fish swimming with sharks when I read this forum. I couldn’t be more grateful though. It’s been a fountain of knowledge and guidance.

I finally paid off my credit card. I still can’t really believe it.

My wife and I are both full time musicians. When Covid hit I planned ahead and started to stock up money, to bring my EF up to 7 months. Unbelievably, my orchestra continued to pay us. That money added to the stimulus we received I was able to pay off my credit card while still saving 20% for retirement and having 3 months in my EF.

I know high figures are tossed around on this forum a lot, but there is plenty of good stuff on here for people in the 12% tax brackets.
I'm trying to think, but nothing happens

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 64661
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:22 am

This forum tank has more than enough room for fish of all sizes, so don't be concerned about that. You've finally tackled a thorn in your side, which is a big deal. Have you thought about your next milestone? It doesn't matter how large, only that it's realistic and can be achieved.

You get extra points in my book for sticking to your plan. Congrats! :beer
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 18776
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:50 am

spdoublebass wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:43 pm
Sometimes I feel like a very small fish swimming with sharks when I read this forum. I couldn’t be more grateful though. It’s been a fountain of knowledge and guidance.

I finally paid off my credit card. I still can’t really believe it.

My wife and I are both full time musicians. When Covid hit I planned ahead and started to stock up money, to bring my EF up to 7 months. Unbelievably, my orchestra continued to pay us. That money added to the stimulus we received I was able to pay off my credit card while still saving 20% for retirement and having 3 months in my EF.

I know high figures are tossed around on this forum a lot, but there is plenty of good stuff on here for people in the 12% tax brackets.
Congratulations on paying off the credit card :D .

The 12% tax bracket is probably the most common tax bracket. With income about average for the U.S. you can still build a significant retirement portfolio using Bogleheads' principles and tax-advantaged accounts.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

User avatar
Raymond
Posts: 1595
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:04 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Raymond » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:03 am

spdoublebass wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:43 pm
...I finally paid off my credit card. I still can’t really believe it. ...
Excellent! :sharebeer

Per the Millionaire Next Door, playing defense (minimizing debt) is at least as important as playing offense (increasing income).

Next financial goal is net worth of two commas? :happy
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

User avatar
5th_Dimension
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:05 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by 5th_Dimension » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:51 am

spdoublebass wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:43 pm
Sometimes I feel like a very small fish swimming with sharks when I read this forum. I couldn’t be more grateful though. It’s been a fountain of knowledge and guidance.

I finally paid off my credit card. I still can’t really believe it.

My wife and I are both full time musicians. When Covid hit I planned ahead and started to stock up money, to bring my EF up to 7 months. Unbelievably, my orchestra continued to pay us. That money added to the stimulus we received I was able to pay off my credit card while still saving 20% for retirement and having 3 months in my EF.

I know high figures are tossed around on this forum a lot, but there is plenty of good stuff on here for people in the 12% tax brackets.
Even with the other financial milestones my wife and I have reached, paying off our credit card debt remains one of our proudest moments because I think it is one of the hardest things to do. Congratulations!
:sharebeer
Sometimes I feel like I'm waltzing in a 4/4 world.

User avatar
5th_Dimension
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:05 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by 5th_Dimension » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:44 pm

With todays close we finally hit the two comma club in net worth :happy. Many thanks to the community for helping us get here!
Sometimes I feel like I'm waltzing in a 4/4 world.

User avatar
ray.james
Posts: 1347
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:08 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by ray.james » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:20 pm

spdoublebass wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:43 pm
Sometimes I feel like a very small fish swimming with sharks when I read this forum. I couldn’t be more grateful though. It’s been a fountain of knowledge and guidance.

I finally paid off my credit card. I still can’t really believe it.

My wife and I are both full time musicians. When Covid hit I planned ahead and started to stock up money, to bring my EF up to 7 months. Unbelievably, my orchestra continued to pay us. That money added to the stimulus we received I was able to pay off my credit card while still saving 20% for retirement and having 3 months in my EF.

I know high figures are tossed around on this forum a lot, but there is plenty of good stuff on here for people in the 12% tax brackets.
Congrats, Of all the milestones, paying off my credit cards and student loans was the most cherished(Look up my first post). I chose to live like student so I can save more and pay it off. It made for many more good lessons for my financial life.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939

Minty
Posts: 331
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:19 pm
Location: NorCal

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Minty » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:48 pm

When I checked Mint this morning, I saw that we (mid-early 50s couple) reached a milestone I saw mentioned years ago on Bogleheads but now cannot find. It was something like: "two commas, with the first number not being a 1 or a 2." This $3 million counts Zillow's calculation of home equity, Mint's valuation of two cheap cars, and the cash-out value of a pension. Most of it is in pretax; I don't count as an offsetting liability the tax we will eventually, probably, pay. I expect to dip back under given the current volatility, and one of us has already had a promised raise cancelled and employer retirement contributions suspended, so who knows what the future holds. But still, we can't complain.

More important and better news: Our oldest child, who graduated from college in May, decided to move to another city. She figured out how to get there on her own, and got a job on her own, which she started last week. We paid for her college, but told her after that she should plan on supporting herself. That was a lie, we probably would have subsidized her indefinitely. The pride and relief at having an adult child blessed with a little initiative and energy is absolutely priceless. A toast to all other Boglehead parents and savers out there: Best of luck! :beer
Core Four w/ nominal bonds & TIPS. Refi Rampage: Purchase: 4.125% 30 -> R1 3% 20 -> R2 2.375% 15 -> R3 shopping

Normchad
Posts: 840
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:20 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Normchad » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:53 pm

ray.james wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:20 pm
spdoublebass wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:43 pm
Sometimes I feel like a very small fish swimming with sharks when I read this forum. I couldn’t be more grateful though. It’s been a fountain of knowledge and guidance.

I finally paid off my credit card. I still can’t really believe it.

My wife and I are both full time musicians. When Covid hit I planned ahead and started to stock up money, to bring my EF up to 7 months. Unbelievably, my orchestra continued to pay us. That money added to the stimulus we received I was able to pay off my credit card while still saving 20% for retirement and having 3 months in my EF.

I know high figures are tossed around on this forum a lot, but there is plenty of good stuff on here for people in the 12% tax brackets.
Congrats, Of all the milestones, paying off my credit cards and student loans was the most cherished(Look up my first post). I chose to live like student so I can save more and pay it off. It made for many more good lessons for my financial life.
+1. This is huge.

Honestly for us, hitting the bug numbers and paying off the mortgage were anticlimactic. But I definitely remember paying off the credit card way back when, and how great that felt. A lot of people never ever get there. It’s hard to do it.

So congratulations to you! This is where the really good stuff starts. You’re doing great!

Normchad
Posts: 840
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:20 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Normchad » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:54 pm

Minty wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:48 pm
When I checked Mint this morning, I saw that we (mid-early 50s couple) reached a milestone I saw mentioned years ago on Bogleheads but now cannot find. It was something like: "two commas, with the first number not being a 1 or a 2." This $3 million counts Zillow's calculation of home equity, Mint's valuation of two cheap cars, and the cash-out value of a pension. Most of it is in pretax; I don't count as an offsetting liability the tax we will eventually, probably, pay. I expect to dip back under given the current volatility, and one of us has already had a promised raise cancelled and employer retirement contributions suspended, so who knows what the future holds. But still, we can't complain.

More important and better news: Our oldest child, who graduated from college in May, decided to move to another city. She figured out how to get there on her own, and got a job on her own, which she started last week. We paid for her college, but told her after that she should plan on supporting herself. That was a lie, we probably would have subsidized her indefinitely. The pride and relief at having an adult child blessed with a little initiative and energy is absolutely priceless. A toast to all other Boglehead parents and savers out there: Best of luck! :beer
Congratulations, that’s awesome. Seeing your child grow into an independent adult is a fantastic accomplishment. Good job!

User avatar
marti038
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:45 pm
Location: Birmingham, AL

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by marti038 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:44 am

Yesterday, DW and I hit $1M net worth not including our home equity. It has been a goal of mine for the better part of the last decade to reach this milestone before I turn 40 in 2021. Now shooting for $3M or more by 50.

User avatar
Schlabba
Posts: 573
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 9:14 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Schlabba » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:02 am

marti038 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:44 am
Yesterday, DW and I hit $1M net worth not including our home equity. It has been a goal of mine for the better part of the last decade to reach this milestone before I turn 40 in 2021. Now shooting for $3M or more by 50.
Congratulations! I actually have the same goal of reaching 1M before 40, I think I might never reach 3M because I would simply retire at 2M.

good for you!
Secretly a dividend investor. Feel free to ask why.

Mr.Chlorine
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:17 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Mr.Chlorine » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:31 am

Just hit 6 figures! Mid 20s in LCOL area, shooting for 500k by 30 :sharebeer

OhBoyUhoh
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:16 pm
Location: SW Ohio

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by OhBoyUhoh » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:28 pm

^^^^ Good work, Mr. C!

Busdrvr
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:56 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Busdrvr » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:41 am

Joined the 2 comma club today. Not including home equity or cash. :D

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 18776
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:45 am

Busdrvr wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:41 am
Joined the 2 comma club today. Not including home equity or cash. :D
Congratulations :D .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

TravelforFun
Posts: 2122
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by TravelforFun » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:38 am

I had the best month ever in term of dollar-amount gain. Our asset jumped 11% in one month (July 2020) on the strength of Amazon and Tesla stocks, and Fidelity Select Technology Fund (FSPTX).

TravelforFun

dknightd
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:57 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by dknightd » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:44 am

I just realized, perhaps again, I had a financial milestone last year.
I stopped paying for life insurance in case I died young. Instead I bought SPIA in case I die old ! :) ;)
Wish me luck. This is one insurance policy I actually want to collect on !
If you value a bird in the hand, pay off the loan. If you are willing to risk getting two birds (or none) from the market, invest the funds.

CarpeDiem22
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 11:20 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by CarpeDiem22 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:34 pm

Household investments just crossed $100k for the first time. I'm 33 and DW's 32. Since I belong to the third world, just for reference, this is equivalent to about $400k in the US in PPP terms. Most of this has been accumulated in last 3 years since I started reading Bogleheads. Thanks for all the wisdom, folks. No other forum on the internet compares to this.

TravelforFun
Posts: 2122
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by TravelforFun » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:45 pm

dknightd wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:44 am
I just realized, perhaps again, I had a financial milestone last year.
I stopped paying for life insurance in case I died young. Instead I bought SPIA in case I die old ! :) ;)
Wish me luck. This is one insurance policy I actually want to collect on !
If you buy a life insurance policy, you want the insurance company to win. If you buy a SPIA, you want the insurance company to lose.

I want the insurance company to win all on policies I have purchased (homeowner, automobile, life, medical, long term care, umbrella, etc.) except for the annuity I purchased last year.

TravelforFun

livesoft
Posts: 72531
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by livesoft » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:41 pm

I am now a paying customer to a cable company for the first time in my life. Yep, the house is now getting cable internet, but not cable TV.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Post Reply