Front Door Security Camera - Non-Wifi / Non-Smartphone Options

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DarkHelmetII

Front Door Security Camera - Non-Wifi / Non-Smartphone Options

Post by DarkHelmetII » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:17 am

Hello,

Looking for a basic front door security camera:

1) General idea is that if doorbell rings late at night and it may be a package, my wife can clearly see who or what is in front of the door
2) Recording not a requirement
3) Picture quality does not have to be great, enough to distinguish a human from a box
4) Interested in something that a) does not rely on wifi and b) does not utilize a smartphone hence there would be a separate video screen provided

Any suggestions?

margaritaville

Re: Front Door Security Camera - Non-Wifi / Non-Smartphone Options

Post by margaritaville » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:50 am

I think this is the only solution out there right now that meets your requirements (no wifi and an included monitor) at a reasonable price :

IP Villa Doorbell Station and Monitor Kit
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/review-ip ... kit.49853/

Topic Author
DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:33 am

margaritaville wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:50 am
I think this is the only solution out there right now that meets your requirements (no wifi and an included monitor) at a reasonable price :

wow, super helpful

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:51 pm

margaritaville wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:50 am

That device is POE (Power Over Ethernet), which means you will need to string a POE cable to the front door, string another Ethernet or POE cable (unclear from the review) to the monitor, and locate the POE switch somewhere near a power outlet so it can feed power to the POE cables and manage the network (Ethernet).

If you don't want to be stringing cables everywhere, Amazon has a few devices that attach to the front door peephole with a camera on the outside and a monitor on the inside, with SD card storage. Those are battery powered and you have to go to the door to view the monitor, but they also require no cables. Search for "front door peephole camera" to find them.

I've never personally tried any of those devices, but I do know they exist. Pay close attention to whether or not they include motion detection, as some only start recording video if the call button on the exterior unit is pressed. Some also do not have good IR support for night video. And look closely at the reviews with respects to battery life, since the battery has to run both the bell unit and the monitor unit.

margaritaville

Post by margaritaville » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:31 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:51 pm
That device is POE (Power Over Ethernet), which means you will need to string a POE cable to the front door, string another Ethernet or POE cable (unclear from the review) to the monitor, and locate the POE switch somewhere near a power outlet so it can feed power to the POE cables and manage the network (Ethernet).
Yes, it's power over ethernet (POE). The "no wifi" requirement necessitates running network cables, so you might as well supply power that way as well and avoid the additional wiring.

You can pick up a retired enterprise switch for a bargain on ebay and have everything you need to supply power over ethernet on 12 ports:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-ProCurve-J9 ... Swo69ez7d8

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:52 pm

margaritaville wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:31 pm
Yes, it's power over ethernet (POE). The "no wifi" requirement necessitates running network cables, so you might as well supply power that way as well and avoid the additional wiring.
Having no WiFi does not necessarily require running network cables. As I said in the post you quoted, there are front door peephole cameras which are entirely self-contained on the front door, with no network cables or WiFi required. The battery life with those units is the primary concern.

margaritaville

Post by margaritaville » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:35 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:52 pm
Having no WiFi does not necessarily require running network cables. As I said in the post you quoted, there are front door peephole cameras which are entirely self-contained on the front door, with no network cables or WiFi required. The battery life with those units is the primary concern.
Gotcha. I was reading into the OP's requirements (thinking he wanted to view the cam without going to the door). I was also thinking you wouldn't be able to see packages with a peephole cam.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:59 pm

margaritaville wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:35 pm
Gotcha. I was reading into the OP's requirements (thinking he wanted to view the cam without going to the door). I was also thinking you wouldn't be able to see packages with a peephole cam.
The packages angle is always a concern. I can see packages with my Ring doorbell camera if they put it on the opposite side of the door from the doorbell camera, but not if they put it directly under the doorbell. Kuna Maximus makes a doorbell camera with two cameras, one facing out and one facing down, but it's a WiFi camera, so it wouldn't meet that part of the OP's requirements.

And I personally went with Ring, despite the privacy concerns with that company, because of simplicity. It attached to my existing doorbell wiring with about 15 minutes of work and a little configuration of the WiFi settings. It's only failed to record once, when a package was delivered right when my cable modem was rebooting. If I go with more security cameras, I will go with a POE solution, but the Ring is "good enough" for now (I don't want to be in the attic at this time of year to run cables).