Repair Refrigerator?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
DB2

Re: Repair Refrigerator?

Post by DB2 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:46 pm

vineviz wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:02 pm
DB2 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:00 pm

I bought a digital thermometer now paired with the mercury thermometer (both read about the same). But this digital thermometer captures the min and max temps. I have this in the freezer and fridge section (this is a side door fridge).

I added more items; my fridge temperature has been perfectly ranging from 32-39 F. No problems here.

However, the freezer section fluctuates widely! Anywhere from -10 to 30 F! When I look, most of the time it seems at zero or below. But still,I will see these higher temps.

I talked to the service tech and he said make sure the setting for the temp freezer is in the middle setting (which it is), but but dial down the coolness one notch on the fridge part. He said this unit has one thermostat with a linkage.

I don't see how it's a thermostat issue or condenser given how cold the unit gets and how stable the fridge is. He agreed and thinks it's just with settings. I am skeptical, but moved the refrigerator one a notch warmer as he advised.

Any thoughts on the freezer?
Hmm. I have no solid ideas, but I’m not sure how much more s worry about the temperature swings. The thermometer is obviously measuring air temperature, which naturally will go up dramatically when the door is opened. But it should also go down quickly, so unless you have melting food or ice formation, so a spike up to 30 degrees isn’t necessarily alarming if it’s only for a few minutes.

What happens if you reset the history on the digital thermometer and put it inside a sealed coffee can or Tupperware container and put that in the freezer? That should buffer the air movement a bit, giving you a better long-term average range?
Would a ziplock bag sealed be better since it would represent the frozen fruits and vegs I eat?

bluesky50

Post by bluesky50 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:21 am

We are having the refrigerator problem too!

Last week one morning we found that it stopped cooling. My husband started wiggling defrost knobs and the refrigerator started running again. We have had it over 20 years without any issues until now.

We immediately started ordering one online. Like others, we found out that most of refrigerators from all big stores are back-ordered or won't deliver until late August. We finally ordered one on Costco but they are the same, they will deliver it late in August.

We are praying to god that the current refrigerator will last that long. We are constantly monitoring the temperature in the refrigerator. If it stops working before the new one comes we will have to go to the Costco warehouse to get the smaller refrigerator.

mancich

Post by mancich » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:03 am

Nowizard wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:32 am
Not sure that something only seven years old would qualify, but we had a compressor repair maybe 12 years ago. The repair man strongly recommended a repair over a new purchase but not due to the cost difference. He said there are many fridges that are 20 years old or more chugging along and that the overall quality was just much better in the past in terms of parts, not just the compressor. By the way, it is still chugging along as a second fridge.

Tim
So true. They don't make 'em like they used to. Hopefully I don't jinx us, but we have a 2nd fridge in the basement that is 20 years old. Simple Kenmore with no ice maker, and we've never had a problem with it. I know it uses extra energy but I don't really care; it has been reliable.

BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:22 am

Compound wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:45 pm
mbres60 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:24 pm
UPDATE - Repair guy came. He took off a panel in the back and looked around. Said a sealed unit with condenser and something else that refrigerant is in needs to be replaced. Said to buy a new refrigerator because cost to repair would be between $900-1200! Yikes. Our fridge is a Kenmore. It is made by LG. He said to call LG as he has heard that they have replaced some peoples parts and even paid for the lost food. A neighbor had a Kenmore by LG and they helped him. So I called LG. Nope. The model number is not theirs so call Kenmore. They gave me the number. I called and they said that because it wasn't under warranty I would have to pay for repair. Asked for manager. I explained situation. This is a known defect, class action lawsuits, etc ( I found this out by googling). Nope, I would have to pay for a tech to come to my house as my machine is no longer under warranty. Too stressful.

We went this afternoon to Home Depot, Lowes, and Best Buy. Most of the machines at Home Depot had post its saying back order til ___. We don't want one with water dispenser. Not many of those, actually practically none. Best Buy can get us one probably middle of August. In early part of pandemic they were not allowed to go into people's homes so left machines outside for homeowner!! Now they can go inside but if things get worse it could revert back to that. He said all companies were doing that at the beginning.

We will have to buy a small refrigerator at Costco for $100 to tide us over til we get the one we will probably order tomorrow. It is so exhausting and stressful! If only our repair was as inexpensive as someone previously in this thread said (about $500).
Have you considered joining the class action lawsuit?

Our LG went down early in the pandemic. It’s only a couple of years old. We’ve been too phobic to ask a repair person over, but I strongly suspect it’s the linear compressor gone bad. Fortunately we’ve got a second fridge, so we’ve been eating out of that. Not sure how things will turn out with LG, but from the sound of this thread and what I’ve read online, I don’t like where this is headed.
Compound: re: class action, do you think we'll need a verified repair estimate to prove compressor failure if/when there's any settlement? Or just receipts of LG fridge and the new unit required to replace it? I hate to waste $125-150 on a service call fee I may never get back when I've already bought another fridge and am 99% sure it's the compressor (just from listening to it, emailing/phoning 2 diff techs who said the same thing and reading all the defective compressor posts.) Was thinking about recording the compressor sound with panel off as documentation, but that would raise voided warranty issues.
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:55 am

mbres60 wrote:
UPDATE - Repair guy came. He took off a panel in the back and looked around. Said a sealed unit with condenser and something else that refrigerant is in needs to be replaced. Said to buy a new refrigerator because cost to repair would be between $900-1200! Yikes. Our fridge is a Kenmore. It is made by LG. He said to call LG as he has heard that they have replaced some peoples parts and even paid for the lost food. A neighbor had a Kenmore by LG and they helped him. So I called LG. Nope. The model number is not theirs so call Kenmore. They gave me the number. I called and they said that because it wasn't under warranty I would have to pay for repair. Asked for manager. I explained situation. This is a known defect, class action lawsuits, etc ( I found this out by googling). Nope, I would have to pay for a tech to come to my house as my machine is no longer under warranty. Too stressful.

We went this afternoon to Home Depot, Lowes, and Best Buy. Most of the machines at Home Depot had post its saying back order til ___. We don't want one with water dispenser. Not many of those, actually practically none. Best Buy can get us one probably middle of August. In early part of pandemic they were not allowed to go into people's homes so left machines outside for homeowner!! Now they can go inside but if things get worse it could revert back to that. He said all companies were doing that at the beginning.

We will have to buy a small refrigerator at Costco for $100 to tide us over til we get the one we will probably order tomorrow. It is so exhausting and stressful! If only our repair was as inexpensive as someone previously in this thread said (about $500).
It's been three or four years ago but we lost our Kenmore (i.e. LG) refrigerator to a lightening strike electrical surge. To order parts from LG would have taken six months so repair guy totaled it out so we could so an insurance claim. Our insurance claim meant we had to get a like replacement and after looking, the only one that would fit, had all our requirements and meet the insurance requirements was another Kenmore but slightly newer model. But it was back ordered and would take three months for delivery. We did the $100 mini fridge while waiting. The day it arrived, it wouldn't fit through the door and we discovered they had ordered the wrong one. Another three months go by. Eventually we got the correct one and it is installed today and working. Those six months of living with just a mini fridge for a family of five were the longest months of my life. Last year we gutted our kitchen and redid it so that we can use a standard sized fridge made by many different manufacturers. Any problem at all and I'm chucking this one out the door and going with anything but LG made appliances. I feel your pain.

TexasPE

Post by TexasPE » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:08 am

bluesky50 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:21 am
We are having the refrigerator problem too!

Last week one morning we found that it stopped cooling. My husband started wiggling defrost knobs and the refrigerator started running again. We have had it over 20 years without any issues until now.

Based on all the comments (this and other posts) regarding the poor reliability of new refrigerators (and the fact that you could wiggle knobs to get it working) I would google the problem to diagnose it or call a technician if you aren't handy with repairs. Sounds like a simple switch replacement may be the Boglehead answer.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)

Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:59 am

As much as we hated to do it, we ordered an LG :shock: :shock: It was the only brand that fit our specifications (size, did not want water dispenser in the door and we also could get it within a week) So ridiculous that we spend a lot of money :moneybag but can only expect it to survive no more than 10 years. This machine is just over 2 cu ft bigger than the old one. Freezer is almost one cubic foot bigger. YET, it seems smaller! Veggie and fruit bins are not as long (front to back). Might not be as deep either but only minimally. Freezer does not hold as much. Old machine the freezer was not quite full. When we got our food from our dd the freezer was packed! We also now see a drawback of getting a freezer with two drawers instead of one... no light in the bottom drawer. Not a real big deal but an annoyance. I think having two drawers takes away space in the freezer but the specs say it is bigger than our old one. When empty we noticed that the bottom freezer drawer was slightly smaller (front to back) than our old machine.

All in all we don't really care for this machine but at least we have a refrigerator. Now, let's see how long it lasts :shock:

FL1234

Post by FL1234 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:24 pm

Just read the post - will add my 5 cents...
We have a Kitchenaid side by side that is 16years old and still looks okay. It had some issues over the years incl. a control board. The board was no longer available from the factory. I was able to repair it myself with help from youtube and google. We replaced the ice maker and resolved other issues (ice buildup). I clean the coils under the unit every few months. So what others do with their cars I do with appliances etc. I've repaired a washer (bad bearings) and dishwasher (bad board). My 9 year old Bosch dishwasher did have some other issues (leak) and we replaced it. Conclusion: I rather not throw out a decent appliance when the problem isn't major. Shopping for a new one isn't easy (for me) - too many things to consider (looks, reliability, noise etc.) I challenge myself to repair stuff and learn something at the same time. It is after all what I do at work (machine repair). My tip is to do some research online - many issues are quite simple/common and at least you will have some idea what the repair tech is talking about.
PS - We have a small backup unit (desk height) - so we don't panic too much if there's a problem with the one in the kitchen

beernutz

Post by beernutz » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:10 pm

Before you replace the compressor I suggest running the diagnostic code procedure. On my LG and likely on your Kenmore made by LG you uncover the control panel and press a button then the front display will show the error code which you can look up.

I did this recently when my LG stopped cooling using this video for LG refridgerators https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70y61Sq_NU0
and got a code 22. This website explained the codes: https://itisfixed.com/lg-refrigerator-repair-atlanta/

I replaced the $20 starter relay in about 10 minutes, using a youtube video as a guide, and my fridge was back in business.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers

Compound

Post by Compound » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:58 pm

BogleFanGal wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:22 am
Compound wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:45 pm
mbres60 wrote:

Have you considered joining the class action lawsuit?

Our LG went down early in the pandemic. It’s only a couple of years old. We’ve been too phobic to ask a repair person over, but I strongly suspect it’s the linear compressor gone bad. Fortunately we’ve got a second fridge, so we’ve been eating out of that. Not sure how things will turn out with LG, but from the sound of this thread and what I’ve read online, I don’t like where this is headed.
Compound: re: class action, do you think we'll need a verified repair estimate to prove compressor failure if/when there's any settlement? Or just receipts of LG fridge and the new unit required to replace it? I hate to waste $125-150 on a service call fee I may never get back when I've already bought another fridge and am 99% sure it's the compressor (just from listening to it, emailing/phoning 2 diff techs who said the same thing and reading all the defective compressor posts.) Was thinking about recording the compressor sound with panel off as documentation, but that would raise voided warranty issues.
We are going to have a repair person over to diagnose the problem. Turns out we are still under warranty, so this shouldn’t be a risky move for us. We bought through Costco and they double the 1 year manufacturer warranty to 2 years. Costco VISA doubles that to 4 years. We bought ours just under 4 years ago, so VISA should cover the repair. Of course, my concern is they will repair our refrigerator by putting in a replacement linear compressor that is similarly prone to failure, which will then fail out of warranty. Can’t do anything about that though — sigh.

If we had been out of warranty, my plan was going to be to call the class action attorney offices to ask for guidance. It seems they are seeking compensation for uncovered repair expenses, so I suspect they would advise proceeding with having a technician over.

Good luck.

ncbill

Post by ncbill » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:32 pm

FL1234 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:24 pm
Just read the post - will add my 5 cents...
We have a Kitchenaid side by side that is 16years old and still looks okay. It had some issues over the years incl. a control board. The board was no longer available from the factory. I was able to repair it myself with help from youtube and google. We replaced the ice maker and resolved other issues (ice buildup). I clean the coils under the unit every few months. So what others do with their cars I do with appliances etc. I've repaired a washer (bad bearings) and dishwasher (bad board). My 9 year old Bosch dishwasher did have some other issues (leak) and we replaced it.Conclusion: I rather not throw out a decent appliance when the problem isn't major. Shopping for a new one isn't easy (for me) - too many things to consider (looks, reliability, noise etc.) I challenge myself to repair stuff and learn something at the same time. It is after all what I do at work (machine repair). My tip is to do some research online - many issues are quite simple/common and at least you will have some idea what the repair tech is talking about.
PS - We have a small backup unit (desk height) - so we don't panic too much if there's a problem with the one in the kitchen
Sure, but with a made-by-LG Kenmore (OP) or a Samsung fridge all-too-often it's the sealed system (compressor, etc.) not something as inexpensive & easy to fix as a bad relay or inverter board or even main control board.

DB2

Post by DB2 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:02 pm

DB2 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:46 pm
vineviz wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:02 pm
DB2 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:00 pm

I bought a digital thermometer now paired with the mercury thermometer (both read about the same). But this digital thermometer captures the min and max temps. I have this in the freezer and fridge section (this is a side door fridge).

I added more items; my fridge temperature has been perfectly ranging from 32-39 F. No problems here.

However, the freezer section fluctuates widely! Anywhere from -10 to 30 F! When I look, most of the time it seems at zero or below. But still,I will see these higher temps.

I talked to the service tech and he said make sure the setting for the temp freezer is in the middle setting (which it is), but but dial down the coolness one notch on the fridge part. He said this unit has one thermostat with a linkage.

I don't see how it's a thermostat issue or condenser given how cold the unit gets and how stable the fridge is. He agreed and thinks it's just with settings. I am skeptical, but moved the refrigerator one a notch warmer as he advised.

Any thoughts on the freezer?
Hmm. I have no solid ideas, but I’m not sure how much more s worry about the temperature swings. The thermometer is obviously measuring air temperature, which naturally will go up dramatically when the door is opened. But it should also go down quickly, so unless you have melting food or ice formation, so a spike up to 30 degrees isn’t necessarily alarming if it’s only for a few minutes.

What happens if you reset the history on the digital thermometer and put it inside a sealed coffee can or Tupperware container and put that in the freezer? That should buffer the air movement a bit, giving you a better long-term average range?
Would a ziplock bag sealed be better since it would represent the frozen fruits and vegs I eat?
Just to give an update on the temp fluctuations I was experiencing in my freezer. I noted -10 to 30 F prior in the open.

I since put the thermometer in the zip lock bag (which more closely imitates the temp reading say in my frozen fruits and vegs). It now only fluctuates between -15 and 15. Same location in the freezer. So it's staying colder and less variance inside of the bag which is good.