Flaunt Your High-Mileage Car

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Monsterflockster

Re: Flaunt Your High-Mileage Car

Post by Monsterflockster » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:57 pm

uconn97 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:35 pm
2007 Sienna XLE--247,000. Just can not kill the thing....awesome car, I feel I got my $30K out of it.

I used it to take my son to preschool and will use it to drop him off at college.
People on here be putting on some serious mileage!

We recently lamented that our 2004 Acura TSX hit 100k. No issues, just oil & tires.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:06 pm

That's a lot CO2 emitted to the air. Money burned and the worst: Pollution.

Knglou

Post by Knglou » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:14 pm

2001 Honda Accord just died last year with 362,000 miles was a great car

SmallCityDave

Post by SmallCityDave » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:51 am

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:06 pm
Do you walk or ride a bicycle everywhere?

marcwd

Post by marcwd » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:41 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:17 am
marcwd wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:52 pm
treadingwater wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:15 pm
2007 Honda Accord. 203,000 miles. 1 broken axel repair approx 250$. Multiple airbag recalls. Otherwise just routine maintainance. Still purrs like a kitten.
I also have a 2007 Accord, 208,000 miles. One of the axles recently broke in two underneath the rubber vibration damper. I had both axles replaced as a precaution. The axles were new, not rebuilt, but not OEM (and no dampers on the replacement axles, fwiw).

Disappointingly, since the repair, the car hasn’t driven as smoothly as before. There’s a brief, but noticeable shudder soon after accelerating from a stop. And I feel a slight “buzzing” vibration at highway speeds.

I had planned to keep the car another year or two, but the diminished smoothness bugs me. I’m on the fence as to whether it’s time to replace it.

Any comments appreciated.
I have a suggestion. Have the CV axles replaced with OEM Honda ones. I know they're much more expensive parts, but they'll work as the originals did. Cheaper than buying a new car. I've done Honda CV axles many times and know that the OEM ones can be 3 to 4 times the price of remanufactured ones. I've had good luck with the reman'd ones but obviously, you have not.
Thank you, but I believe the sensible thing to do at this point is to live with the shudder and get some value back out of the repair cost by continuing to use the car for now.
It’s a 12 year old car with 210,000 miles. If I had been quoted the repair price using Honda OEM axles originally and not an aftermarket option, I would have abandoned the car at that point and purchased a new one.

jsh

Post by jsh » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:51 pm

218k 2011 Subaru Outback 4 cyl. $600 in repairs since new (excludes tires, brakes, maintenance). My mechanic bought a 2016 Outback and 2016 Forester.

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:42 pm

For those over 200k, I’d love to know what kind of maintenance and replacement you have done, and how much you think that was a factor. Does the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” motto work? Or were you very diligent on replacing parts as they aged?

Our old Camry drives well at 150,000 miles, but the thing sounds like it will fall apart every bump we go over. It’s always what made me feel like my car is old. Wondering if there is a way to keep a car feeling ‘solid’ like when you first drive it off the lot.

honduranhurricane

Post by honduranhurricane » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:02 am

150k on 2013 explorer bought in early 2012. regular oil changes, synthetic. no major repairs, only wear/tear..tires, brake pads etc. ideally lasts another 150k!

czeckers

Post by czeckers » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:52 am

2009 Subaru Legacy, got to 163K and then it burned down after my son hit a deer.

2013 Nissan NV3500, 170K
The Espresso portfolio: | | 20% US Total Mkt, 20% Small Cap Value, 10% US REIT, 10% Developed Int'l, 10% EM, 30% Inter-term US Treas | | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:28 am

angelescrest wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:42 pm
For those over 200k, I’d love to know what kind of maintenance and replacement you have done, and how much you think that was a factor. Does the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” motto work? Or were you very diligent on replacing parts as they aged?

Our old Camry drives well at 150,000 miles, but the thing sounds like it will fall apart every bump we go over. It’s always what made me feel like my car is old. Wondering if there is a way to keep a car feeling ‘solid’ like when you first drive it off the lot.
What maintenance have you done?

Have you replaced the struts/shocks/dampeners? I would get the struts replaced and have an alignment done at a good place plus new rotors and brake pads if needed. Check your tires while at it, and always make sure they’re inflated properly. Struts probably need to be replaced every 100k-150k miles or so but check the recommended interval.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:13 am

angelescrest wrote:

I would bet a big portion of the "solid" feeling comes from the suspension. Around 200K miles, I replaced the upper and lower ball joints on my truck. For non car people, these are front suspension parts that wear out over time.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:20 pm

SmallCityDave wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:51 am
WhiteMaxima wrote:
I took public transportation whenever possible. I have car at home but would never be fun to accumulate high mileage.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:39 pm

finite_difference wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:28 am

Have you replaced the struts/shocks/dampeners? I would get the struts replaced and have an alignment done at a good place plus new rotors and brake pads if needed. Check your tires while at it, and always make sure they’re inflated properly. Struts probably need to be replaced every 100k-150k miles or so but check the recommended interval.
most shocks will not be good after 100k miles. It's not like brake pads where they either work or they don't. Rather, it's a slow and gradual decline as the hydraulic portion wears out.

Past 100k miles, you're really pushing it.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:40 pm

angelescrest wrote:

If I had to guess, most here think that changing the oil and keeping the fluids topped off is all that is needed for maintenance.

I can only hope that people are having their vehicles service somewhere, or electing to do the work themselves. But, I have a feeling I'm kidding myself, because people like these threads and say stuff like, "I've put all these hundreds of thousands of miles on this car and just have had to replace tires and the brake pads!!"

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:05 pm

Helo80 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:40 pm
angelescrest wrote:

If I had to guess, most here think that changing the oil and keeping the fluids topped off is all that is needed for maintenance.

I can only hope that people are having their vehicles service somewhere, or electing to do the work themselves. But, I have a feeling I'm kidding myself, because people like these threads and say stuff like, "I've put all these hundreds of thousands of miles on this car and just have had to replace tires and the brake pads!!"
My previous 2 cars ('97 nissan hardbody pickup and '09 hyundai accent) were totaled and given away at ~180k miles and ~130k miles. Between the two I changed the battery once (Nissan), brake pads once (Nissan), timing belt once (Hyundai), and a basic "tune-up" (changing plugs, wires, etc.) once each. Other than that they never spent a second at a shop (fluids/wipers/etc. done by me) other than for tires and inspection. The Hyundai was given to my FIL and he's driven it another 50k miles. I know he replaced the battery and the timing belt again, but I believe that is the extent. Neither car was ever in an accident in 9yrs and 8yrs of ownership (by me). I might still be driving the Nissan if it wasn't totaled in a hit-n-run (luckily it was parked). When cars get to the end of their life, unless it literally feels dangerous to drive or breaks down, I'm definitely in the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” crowd?

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:40 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:05 pm
My previous 2 cars ('97 nissan hardbody pickup and '09 hyundai accent) were totaled and given away at ~180k miles and ~130k miles. Between the two I changed the battery once (Nissan), brake pads once (Nissan), timing belt once (Hyundai), and a basic "tune-up" (changing plugs, wires, etc.) once each. Other than that they never spent a second at a shop (fluids/wipers/etc. done by me) other than for tires and inspection. The Hyundai was given to my FIL and he's driven it another 50k miles. I know he replaced the battery and the timing belt again, but I believe that is the extent. Neither car was ever in an accident in 9yrs and 8yrs of ownership (by me). I might still be driving the Nissan if it wasn't totaled in a hit-n-run (luckily it was parked). When cars get to the end of their life, unless it literally feels dangerous to drive or breaks down, I'm definitely in the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” crowd?

Sounds good... though there certain wear and tear parts (shock/struts, plugs, etc.) that don't necessarily lend themselves to obvious problems and far too many people let those slides because the shop labor can be $$$ on those, or it's the "if I don't see it broken, I won't fix it..." Brake pads... obviously start making a whiney noise and then stop working. Though over on reddit, on r/Justrolledintotheshop, people have worn their rotors (yes, the big metal things) to nothingness by never replacing their brake pads and now the caliper is stopping the rotor directly.

Unfortunately, dealerships and mechanics have done and still do dirty deeds on customers and hence why many in PF forums view spending any money beyond oil and fluids as writing checks for vehicles to Satan himself.

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:46 pm

Helo80 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:39 pm
finite_difference wrote:

most shocks will not be good after 100k miles. It's not like brake pads where they either work or they don't. Rather, it's a slow and gradual decline as the hydraulic portion wears out.

Makes sense. I totally agree that a car’s suspension is important for safety and needs to be properly maintained. For example, worn out struts will negatively impact your handling and braking, and can be the difference between life and death.

Nothing wrong with driving a high mileage car — you can save a lot of money. But at least keep it well maintained and don’t put your life at risk to save a couple dollars if you can afford it.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

LegacyWealth2013

Post by LegacyWealth2013 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:06 am

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer. 140k miles.

offthetop

Post by offthetop » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:31 pm

Predecessors:
2006 chevy 2500 hd 6.0 vortec 415k miles.

Maintenance
K&N reuseable air filter
Oil changes every 4000 miles with mobile 5000 oil
Spark plugs and wires every 100k
Topped off fluids
Changed parts as needed.

Had a brush guard on it hit 3 deer no damage. Ran into 3 cars that cut me off while pulling a loaded trailer totaling 2 of them. Only had minor bumper damage.

1 guy ran in to me. Had a tri ball hitch on and it struck his frame totaling his car. I had a scratched bumper

Had a guy run a red light and side swipe me.

All in all I paid 7000 for the truck with 155k miles from a family friend who is meticulous and upgraded every 3 years or so. All in all insurance from accidents paid me about 5k ive the 12 years of owning it.

Just retired it this fall. Sold it for $1500 original transmission was starting to slip and had a small rear manifold leak.

1998 Chevy 2500 hd 5.7 vortex had 370k when I rolled it 6 times in a snow storm. Still ran strong

1996 honda accord died when frame rusted through at 350k motor still strong. Rusty but trusty

1991 toyota truck

Odometer quit working with 260k 8 years before I retired it as my daily driver. I figure it had around 450k on the 22re motor 5 speed manual. Best vehicle I ever owned sold it 5 years ago and still see it running around.

New vehicles:
(08 gmc 2500 hd slt) has 175k on it
07 Honda pilot 160k
2004 chevy silverado 268k
2010 altima 169k

I plan to do the same as all the previous vehicles I've owned. K&N air filter day 1, oil changes on a regular basis. I send in an oil sample every few years on all vehicles to see if there are any issues internally. I learned to drive and coast to stop lights never let my vehicles jump into overdrive.

Do my own maintenance have a blue driver scanner tool to diagnose. A makita 18v impact and mostly harbor freight tools to repair anything I might need to.

Drive safe!

churchie

Post by churchie » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:33 pm

Walleyewhacker wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:08 pm
I see my first entry on this post was in 2015 so an update is in order I guess. 2006 Corolla, my odometer broke at 299,999 in Sept of 2016 so doing a little math, the car should have just about 400,000 miles on it. Its starting to show its age and I use it back and forth to work but not much else. Great car, still gets good mileage. Has some rust starting. The interior is showing some age. Oh yeah, I had a deer-auto collision in the spring of 2018, had it bumped out enough to get the door to work but did not paint it, this was of course, about 2 months after i decided to go with PLPD insurence
Walleye I don't think your odometer broke ... it just stopped ... apparently Toyota got some flack for this ... Google that mileage plus Toyota ... there's even a guy with a YT video showing it stopped while he was driving ... so what kind of engine and transmission does it have ... still getting high 30s mpg?

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:50 pm

I just saw on social media that a colleague of mine went to a Christmas party and the white elephant gift she left with was a mid-90's corolla with 360k miles. Apparently she was able to drive it home.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:16 pm

czeckers wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:52 am
2009 Subaru Legacy, got to 163K and then it burned down after my son hit a deer.

...wait... you had an engine fire after a deer hit?

I'm not saying it's not impossible from an engineering perspective, but man... that's rotten luck. I've known someone that has hit a deer 3 or 4 times... in the same year in the same car.... so, some people have really rotten luck as well even if the car does not catch fire.

czeckers

Post by czeckers » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:11 pm

I think the fuel line ruptured in the engine bay. A clear liquid was noted under the engine immediately after the accident and the car was completely engulfed 10 minutes later.

I chuckle when people say you shouldn't get an electric car because the batteries might catch on fire.

-K
The Espresso portfolio: | | 20% US Total Mkt, 20% Small Cap Value, 10% US REIT, 10% Developed Int'l, 10% EM, 30% Inter-term US Treas | | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

SmallCityDave

Post by SmallCityDave » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:29 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:20 pm
SmallCityDave wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:51 am
WhiteMaxima wrote:
I took public transportation whenever possible. I have car at home but would never be fun to accumulate high mileage.
Public transportation is a lot less fun.

Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:50 pm

DH's 2001 Chevy Silverado. Chevy just sent him a coffee mug - hit 250,000 miles. Rarely drives now, car thefts are high in area.

ndpage

Post by ndpage » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:43 pm

My family's record was my dad driving a 77 Electra for over 180k in 14 years. The thing had painted duct tape at the end to cover the rust holes.

My current 2003 Equinox LTZ that I love (easily my favorite out of the seven cars I have owned or leased in the last 30 years) only has 93k on it. I just took it in, it needed new front rotors and a brake system flush. But otherwise it runs like a champ, it's getting new tires in two weeks, and the dealer gave me a list of about $1000 in suggested maintenance over the next 10k.

My question to you all is how do you go about finding a reputable non-dealer mechanic to keep cars chugging along? My Chevy dealership in suburban Chicago was low key in a working class neighborhood, prices were reasonable, and they were quick to say wait another year. The dealer here in NC is one of those six brand conglomerates and decidedly pushier. This was my second experience with them (a scheduled oil change in August and last week), and I'm leaning against a third. They don't seem very BH-ish.

I'm driving less now that I relocated, probably 11k/year of mostly suburban uncontested driving. So I figure even with a Chevy, 200k and keeping it another decade is feasible to get it to 18 years. The only question down the road is whether the annual unscheduled or rebuilding maintenance costs like an eventual new transmission start to exceed the cost allocation of buying a used fully loaded 2019 Suburu Outback with low mileage. (The Suburu is what i would buy today if my Equinox was totalled)

flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:29 am

My car has 1000 miles. That’s “high mileage” for my Lamborghini Aventador :twisted:
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat

docsolly

Post by docsolly » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:50 am

143K 1995 BMW M3

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:03 pm

bubbadog wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:13 am
angelescrest wrote:

I would bet a big portion of the "solid" feeling comes from the suspension. Around 200K miles, I replaced the upper and lower ball joints on my truck. For non car people, these are front suspension parts that wear out over time.
I had quickstruts placed in the front after one of the coils literally broke (terrible roads abound). I realize they’re not great as the original, but it was a bit of an emergency situation and I wasn’t sure whether or not I would keep the car for long. I would be willing to do the same for the back, but it seems like there’s more to the suspension that could be repaired.

I struggle with finding a middle ground between the dealer (or franchise repair house) that tells me to sink $5000 worth of repairs into the car, vs the small shop who tells me I don’t need to do anything. The latter saves me money as a Boglehead, but wish I could sit down and self diagnose what repairs or replacements would really make a difference.

Fomalhaut

Post by Fomalhaut » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:36 pm

This was originally my only car, but its become the family secondary car, and I haven't driven it much for the last 4 years.
Because of this, I have really cheap insurance, amounting to 19-20 dollars a month (based on mileage).
I put about 100,000 miles on it after 8 years, then had to double that amount in 4 years when I had to go back to college after losing a full time job during the last recession.

Saturn LW200 Wagon, Color: Pewter (typical road dirt color)
Purchased June 2003.
Mileage: 221,931

If I have the chance of travelling on some back roads for work, I'm more likely to use this car, rather than our nice new 2019 Prius (our, that I drive it, but I didn't pay for it---I drive the owner instead).

novillero

Post by novillero » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:56 am

2006 Prius, 252,500 miles. New battery and the dealer screwed up my engine at around 185,000 miles and it was replaced for free with a 90,000 mile engine. Still working well, gas mileage still averages around 45 MPG.

CoAndy

Post by CoAndy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:49 am

Time for this thread to be given life once again. 2012 Honda Accord 106k miles.

wallygator

Post by wallygator » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:10 am

Helo80 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:39 pm
finite_difference wrote:

My 1996 Lexus LS400 had 250K miles on it and everything was original except battery, brakes, rotors and the power steering pump. Drove like it was new....We Got a boat so had to get rid of it in 2016. Probably the best car ever made in my opinion.

FireSekr

Post by FireSekr » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:21 am

Not that high compared to some on here but:

1998 BMW M3 - 156k
2002 BMW M5 - 136k

Both great cars, and hope to keep them to at least 300k miles and beyond. They've been reliable, aside from having to refresh the suspensions in both around 120k miles, and a few other minor items (I've become an expert at replacing lock actuators, but I buy from FCP Euro which gives a lifetime warranty so all it costs me is the 45 minutes it takes me to pull the door apart and replace the part)