Coins

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
manatee2005

Coins

Post by manatee2005 »

I bought a coin from El Cazador shipwreck, it’s great. Minted in Mexico City in 1783 and sank on a voyage from Vera Cruz to New Orleans in 1784.

I’m looking now to buy a Bohemond III (1163-1201) Antioch coin.

Any other interesting ancient of medieval coins that others are looking at?
Sconie

Re: Coins

Post by Sconie »

No suggestions. I sure hope you're purchasing these for "fun" and enjoyment, and not as an investment.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

manatee2005 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:46 am I bought a coin from El Cazador shipwreck, it’s great. Minted in Mexico City in 1783 and sank on a voyage from Vera Cruz to New Orleans in 1784.

There’s probably a forum somewhere for coin collectors.

It’s just not this Forum.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

I used to collect coins. Then I had an epiphany: since they aren't investments, they just stay in a secure location until I die, and whoever cleans out my house will have to deal with them. Pointless.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

samsoes wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:21 am I used to collect coins. Then I had an epiphany: since they aren't investments, they just stay in a secure location until I die, and whoever cleans out my house will have to deal with them. Pointless.
Why aren't they an investment? My understanding is that US coin prices have risen considerably over the years.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Silver prices are up lately. Have been selling my remaining rolls of silver coins in the last month - a relative had hoarded many rolls of the coins 50 years ago. Investing turn the cash into a 2050 target date retirement fund for the kids.
jfn111

Post by jfn111 »

I enjoy collecting coins. Not everything in life has to be a financial investment with a 4% return. There are many coin forums out there. One to possibly start with- https://www.cointalk.com/forums/coin-chat/
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

One thing I never understood about coins and collecting is people paying millions for coins with errors. Two headed coins, upside down coins, etc. If the government had any brains, it would make more of those. Deficit solved.
chw

Post by chw »

samsoes wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:21 am I used to collect coins. Then I had an epiphany: since they aren't investments, they just stay in a secure location until I die, and whoever cleans out my house will have to deal with them. Pointless.
So true. Doing this for my Dad’s modest collection. Several interesting items, but most coins barely worth over face value. Not worth the trouble to sell on line or thru an agent due to commissions and transaction fees.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

We used to collect coins until we had a robbery with a large safe taken, but coins remain interesting and a good way to entertain and educate children about history, finance, etc. We moved from coin collecting to bullion purchase and immediate sale. There are many who have a small or large cache of bullion coins ranging from silver dimes, quarters, halves, silver dollars to small or large ingots. Setting up at flea markets, determining the daily price of dealers is simple, and purchasing for a lesser amount and selling is fun and pays for the hobby. When a larger seller appears, there can be a significant profit, but the fun for a coin collector is looking at the coins received since they vary in age and condition while having no more than bullion value except in rare cases.

Tim
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

jabberwockOG wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:23 am Silver prices are up lately. Have been selling my remaining rolls of silver coins in the last month - a relative had hoarded many rolls of the coins 50 years ago. Investing turn the cash into a 2050 target date retirement fund for the kids.
I didn’t realize prices had recovered on silver. How did you unload your coins? Please share best practices if you are familiar with the process.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/

Best coin forum out there in my opinion.
planetmike

Post by planetmike »

Coin collecting is a lot of fun. And fairly/kind of easy to do while locked at home the past few months. eBay purchases have kept me quite busy.Don't knock anyone's hobbies, we are all different and relax in different ways.

I second the vote for https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/ .
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

StevieG72 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:22 am
jabberwockOG wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:23 am Silver prices are up lately. Have been selling my remaining rolls of silver coins in the last month - a relative had hoarded many rolls of the coins 50 years ago. Investing turn the cash into a 2050 target date retirement fund for the kids.
I didn’t realize prices had recovered on silver. How did you unload your coins? Please share best practices if you are familiar with the process.
I sold them on ebay in one roll lots, buyer pays flat rate shipping. Some buyers bought multiple rolls. Packaged and shipped in small flat rate USPS box for $7.65 per box (ebay printing label at home cost). Very easy and quick if you are ebay capable. Even deducting ebay and paypal commissions the effort produced better payout than selling to wholesalers or local coin/pawn shop buyers.
Topic Author
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

Stinky wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:16 am
manatee2005 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:46 am I bought a coin from El Cazador shipwreck, it’s great. Minted in Mexico City in 1783 and sank on a voyage from Vera Cruz to New Orleans in 1784.

I’m sure there are some Bogleheads who love coins.
Topic Author
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

atikovi wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:27 am One thing I never understood about coins and collecting is people paying millions for coins with errors. Two headed coins, upside down coins, etc. If the government had any brains, it would make more of those. Deficit solved.
Haha I like how you think. But if they made more then they wouldn’t be valuable at all.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

manatee2005 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:01 pm
Stinky wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:16 am

I’m sure there are some Bogleheads who love coins.
There are a few collectors here but you will get a much richer audience on a dedicated coin forum - especially when you get into things like ancients or world coins. There are specific forums dedicated to ancients and others for world coins on Coin Community for example.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Kenkat wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:28 pm There are a few collectors here but you will get a much richer audience on a dedicated coin forum - especially when you get into things like ancients or world coins. There are specific forums dedicated to ancients and others for world coins on Coin Community for example.
You can say the same about cars and the thousands of internetting forums about each specific model, engine or specialty, but doesn't stop people from posting their questions here.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

atikovi wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:51 pm
Kenkat wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:28 pm There are a few collectors here but you will get a much richer audience on a dedicated coin forum - especially when you get into things like ancients or world coins. There are specific forums dedicated to ancients and others for world coins on Coin Community for example.
You can say the same about cars and the thousands of internetting forums about each specific model, engine or specialty, but doesn't stop people from posting their questions here.
A lot more of the general population buys and drives cars than collects coins. Of the people who collect coins, most in the US collect US coins, with a lot of those collecting fairly recent issues. The coins he is asking about are a very focused niche with relatively few but passionate collectors.

If I asked people here about a late 1800s Morgan silver dollar collection, I might get a few responses, but a “Bohemond III (1163-1201) Antioch“ is a stretch.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

+1

My brother who passed away in 1984 had small trove of coins and stamps, my late mother who would worry about its burglary, kept nagging me about his collection. I told her my stock portfolio is 1.8 million, stop nagging me about what to do with his collection.

Physical assets are risk to theft, fire, storage cost and do not necessarily keep up with inflation. Gold coins brought in the early 1980s could had been better invested in VOO/SP500, it would been a better investment.
Topic Author
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

retire2022 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:07 pm
+1

My brother who passed away in 1984 had small trove of coins and stamps, my late mother who would worry about its burglary, kept nagging me about his collection. I told her my stock portfolio is 1.8 million, stop nagging me about what to do with his collection.

Physical assets are risk to theft, fire, storage cost and do not necessarily keep up with inflation. Gold coins brought in the early 1980s could had been better invested in VOO/SP500, it would been a better investment.
But I can’t bathe in VOO. I posed in personal consumer issues forming, not the investments one.
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

You might get better response with a more descriptive title to your post.
Support this site with a purchase thru Amazon: | http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=aps&tag=bogleheads.org-20&field-keywords=Bogleheads
Watty

Post by Watty »

On eBay you can find things like old Roman coins that people found when they were metal detecting, often they sell them in lots of a couple of dozen coins for well less than $100 or even as low as $25(back then). I am sure they are total junk for coin collectors but we bought one of those when my son was in middle school and we had a fun time cleaning them up and on some of them you could still see outlines of people or bows and arrows.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

manatee2005 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:15 pm
But I can’t bathe in VOO. I posed in personal consumer issues forming, not the investments one.
VOO can be used to buy all the water for bathing.

You must been watching Slumdog Millionaire see link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOvpJs_v1u0

My late mother left me with 14K in cash hidden all over the apartment, good luck.
sport

Post by sport »

atikovi wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:27 am One thing I never understood about coins and collecting is people paying millions for coins with errors. Two headed coins, upside down coins, etc. If the government had any brains, it would make more of those. Deficit solved.
At one time, in the 1960's IIRC, the US produced one sheet of stamps with one of the colors printed upside down. The person who bought it bragged about it. The government did not want someone to profit from their mistake, so they purposely printed a lot more just like it. I have one of those sheets. It is not particularly valuable.
https://www.amazon.com/Hammarskjold-Inv ... B007P73H1U
Topic Author
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

retire2022 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:27 pm
manatee2005 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:15 pm
VOO can be used to buy all the water for bathing.

You must been watching Slumdog Millionaire see link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOvpJs_v1u0

My late mother left me with 14K in cash hidden all over the apartment, good luck.
Haha I didn’t see the movie but you are the third person this month who told me I should see it, I’ll probably watch it tonight.

I meant more like the legend of El Dorado where he would cover himself with gold dust in the morning and wash it away at night.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

manatee2005 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:06 pm
I meant more like the legend of El Dorado where he would cover himself with gold dust in the morning and wash it away at night.
Or Scrooge McDuck, who swims in his vault of gold coins every morning.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
Topic Author
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

samsoes wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:22 pm
manatee2005 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:06 pm
Or Scrooge McDuck, who swims in his vault of gold coins every morning.
That's the ultimate dream.
oldMiseryGuts

Post by oldMiseryGuts »

So what do you guys collect ? anything special you are interested in ?
I look for Slabbed coins (NGC, PCGS). I like history, so anything old is interesting - as long as it's in a slab...