Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
RJC

Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by RJC »

Dear friends,

After months of staying in and working out at home, we decided to get a Peloton bike.

For those that have one, do you still enjoy using it? Have you used it more during the shutdowns?

I have a road bike w/ Shimano 105 pedals. Will I be able to use the same shoes?

Any recommendations for a 1st time user would be greatly appreciated.
livesoft

Re: Just Ordered Peloton Bike

Post by livesoft »

I didn't think these things came with pedals: You buy your own pedals that fit your shoes. My recommendation is to not tell any of your friends or family that you bought one of these things.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

They have standard pedal threads so you can most likely take the pedals off your old bike and swap onto the Peloton.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

I used one regularly at the gym. I think it is a great piece of exercise equipment. Having said that, after about a year I started getting a little tired of the "sameness" of it but I still went back to it periodically.

Here is my #1 tip: Emma Lovewell.
buyholdforever

Post by buyholdforever »

Our family enjoys using the Peloton, and yes it's even more useful during the shut downs. It is a good workout that you can do on your own schedule.

I have a road bike with Shimano DuraAce pedals and I was surprised the cleats did not work. I then just bought shoes/cleats directly from Peloton when they delivered it even though they were expensive. Double check the cleats are on tight enough, ours were very loose on both sets of shoes.

I would also recommend Emma Lovewell after trying an introduction ride or two from anyone who does those... You'll probably need the intro ride to understand how everything works.

I tried a live ride or two but I found I preferred the pre-recorded ones.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

My neighbor has an expensive clothes rack now. Doesn't really use it.
Barcelonasteve

Post by Barcelonasteve »

After about a year, I grew to despise mine because of the din of the instructors and went back to using a NordicTrack ski machine that I had been using for decades. I pick what I listen to when exercising. It’s so much better for me.
econprof

Post by econprof »

livesoft wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:02 am I didn't think these things came with pedals: You buy your own pedals that fit your shoes. My recommendation is to not tell any of your friends or family that you bought one of these things.
A $2000+ bike that doesn't come with pedals?

You know, jogging is free and dumbbells are cheap. A decent yoga mat is $40. Why pay for the Peloton?
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

econprof wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:34 am A $2000+ bike that doesn't come with pedals?

You know, jogging is free and dumbbells are cheap. A decent yoga mat is $40. Why pay for the Peloton?
Have you tried to buy dumbbells lately? They've been sold out everywhere since early March.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

econprof wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:34 amA $2000+ bike that doesn't come with pedals?
Most $2000+ bikes nowadays do not come with pedals unless one specifically orders them because pedals are so personal because shoes and cleats are so personal.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

livesoft wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:02 am My recommendation is to not tell any of your friends or family that you bought one of these things.
Isn't that one of the main reasons to buy this thing, so by not telling you sort of defeat the purpose :wink:
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

RJC wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:27 am Dear friends,

After months of staying in and working out at home, we decided to get a Peloton bike.

For those that have one, do you still enjoy using it? Have you used it more during the shutdowns?

You should have just paired your road bike with 105 onto a Wahoo trainer for half the price of Peleton then get Zwift for $15 a month instead of $50 or whatever Peleton is charging. Then upgrade your road bike to Ultegra :wink:

The added benefit is when your other bike goes for repair or gets a flat just before you want to go out, you can take out the bike from trainer and put it on the road. Then you have two road bikes, peleton can't do a thing other than just sit there. But, it is a good thing I hear for those who like spin classes.
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

buyholdforever wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:26 am Our family enjoys using the Peloton, and yes it's even more useful during the shut downs. It is a good workout that you can do on your own schedule.

I have a road bike with Shimano DuraAce pedals and I was surprised the cleats did not work. I then just bought shoes/cleats directly from Peloton when they delivered it even though they were expensive. Double check the cleats are on tight enough, ours were very loose on both sets of shoes.

I would also recommend Emma Lovewell after trying an introduction ride or two from anyone who does those... You'll probably need the intro ride to understand how everything works.

I tried a live ride or two but I found I preferred the pre-recorded ones.
Are you able to check these things and make changes when they are setting it up?
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

Elysium wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:46 am

You should have just paired your road bike with 105 onto a Wahoo trainer for half the price of Peleton then get Zwift for $15 a month instead of $50 or whatever Peleton is charging. Then upgrade your road bike to Ultegra :wink:

The added benefit is when your other bike goes for repair or gets a flat just before you want to go out, you can take out the bike from trainer and put it on the road. Then you have two road bikes, peleton can't do a thing other than just sit there. But, it is a good thing I hear for those who like spin classes.
I actually did that for a while (Zwift + Wahoo KICKR SNAP). This is more for my wife but I will be using it as well.
Last edited by RJC on Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
FootballFan5548

Post by FootballFan5548 »

We bought ours and had it shipped in mid-December last year. Luckily we got it right before the shutdown and have been using it a ton.
My wife was never a big cardio person, she loved barre classes and stretching stuff, but not as much cardio, and she loves it. (we're 37 for what it's worth)

I personally weighed 235 lbs (6'3'') on January 1st. I changed my diet, peloton a ton, use all of the other peloton services like strength training, and stretching, and even outdoor running which I've started to enjoy. I weighed in at 195 this morning.

I've never been a cyclist, I was an athlete growing up, but with young kids and the commute into NYC from NJ, I just never had time to exercise, and my weight really got out of control... highest i'd ever been.

The peloton (and the lifestyle change that came with it) has completely changed my life. People can knock it all they want, it's certainly expensive (although we did the 0% financing so barely notice the $60/month payment), I can't possibly vouch for it enough. It's the only workout system I've ever used and stuck to for this long and it's made massive changes for me and my wife.

Last thing... I loved the product so much I bought a decent amount of PTON stock in February/March in the 20's, and low 30's. It's trading in the low 60's now.

If you commit to it and use it, I think it can and will really pay off for you. Good Luck!
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

econprof wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:34 am
livesoft wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:02 am I didn't think these things came with pedals: You buy your own pedals that fit your shoes. My recommendation is to not tell any of your friends or family that you bought one of these things.

This is primarily for my wife but I enjoy cycling as well. She took some Soul Cycle classes before the lockdown and was hooked. I know there are cheaper alternatives; however, they have to motivate her.
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

FootballFan5548 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:09 am We bought ours and had it shipped in mid-December last year. Luckily we got it right before the shutdown and have been using it a ton.
My wife was never a big cardio person, she loved barre classes and stretching stuff, but not as much cardio, and she loves it. (we're 37 for what it's worth)

I personally weighed 235 lbs (6'3'') on January 1st. I changed my diet, peloton a ton, use all of the other peloton services like strength training, and stretching, and even outdoor running which I've started to enjoy. I weighed in at 195 this morning.

I've never been a cyclist, I was an athlete growing up, but with young kids and the commute into NYC from NJ, I just never had time to exercise, and my weight really got out of control... highest i'd ever been.

The peloton (and the lifestyle change that came with it) has completely changed my life. People can knock it all they want, it's certainly expensive (although we did the 0% financing so barely notice the $60/month payment), I can't possibly vouch for it enough. It's the only workout system I've ever used and stuck to for this long and it's made massive changes for me and my wife.

Last thing... I loved the product so much I bought a decent amount of PTON stock in February/March in the 20's, and low 30's. It's trading in the low 60's now.

If you commit to it and use it, I think it can and will really pay off for you. Good Luck!
Thank you! We are excited to try it out.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Congrats! I'm coming up on two years with mine, and using it as much as ever. I don't know that I'd say I've used it more during the shutdown, other than the fact that I use it every day except when I travel, and I haven't traveled since February. :) On that note though, I actually just did the math a few hours ago, and while I've driven my car 2,481 miles so far in 2020, I've ridden the Peloton 3,621 miles. :beer

The pedals it comes with are Look Delta, which is a very old 3-hole cleat. After using mine for a few months and getting used to clipless pedals, I went out for a ride on my road bike and was really unstable because my feet kept coming off the flat pedals. So I ordered two pairs of Shimano 105 SPD-SL pedals, and replaced the pedals on both bikes. So now I can use the same pair of shoes on both bikes, with one of the pairs of cleats that came with the pedals. SPD-SL is similar to Look Delta, but they are not compatible. I'm not sure whether your existing pedals are SPD or SPD-SL, but you would certainly have the option of buying a set for the Peloton that uses the same cleats.

As for training, I'm very much a fan of Power Zone training. It keys classes to your current fitness level, and then works at specific outputs that are matched to your exact capabilities. You then retest on a semi-regular basis (4-6 weeks at first, longer as time goes on) to adjust the levels as you progress. Has been huge for me.
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

Got it as Christmas gift for my wife last December.

Best purchase ever, I even lost weight. Benefit/cost ratio is excellent, not only has improved my physical health, also improves my mood, sleep and provides with great satisfaction after a particularly challenging ride.

Now I use it even more than my wife. Weekdays I use it a lunch time and in the mornings on the weekends. The flexibility of 20 or 60 minutes rides is great. As time has gone by I have began to make greater use of it, i.e. training programs, Yoga, strength, etc.

It is a great community and you will soon follow your favorite instructor. I personally prefer Denis Morton, he's low key, provides clear instruction, great sense of humor, excellent taste in music, doesn't overdue the inspirational. Each instructor has a particular personality, style and music that will fit your preference.

I received my free Century T-Shirt after my 100 ride and recently completed 200. My day ain't complete without my Peloton work out.

Enjoy.
djpeteski

Post by djpeteski »

Elysium wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:46 am You should have just paired your road bike with 105 onto a Wahoo trainer for half the price of Peleton then get Zwift for $15 a month instead of $50 or whatever Peleton is charging. Then upgrade your road bike to Ultegra :wink:

Just to nit pick, the OP said he had 105 pedals, not the group set. He might have DI2 or something else. All that said, I think the Ultegra jump is an essential one in the group set and love my Kickr as much as one can love to ride indoors.

My sister went the opposite direction. She used the Peleton and loved it for years and then it motivated her to buy a road bike.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

tm3 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:11 am I used one regularly at the gym. I think it is a great piece of exercise equipment. Having said that, after about a year I started getting a little tired of the "sameness" of it but I still went back to it periodically.
I've found this to be true with any one piece of equipment (which is one benefit of a gym).

When we set up a home gym many years ago we ended up with three pieces of equipment due partly to the boredom factor and partly to help strengthen different muscles and parts of our bodies. We then moved to a neighborhood with a community gym so got rid of the machines. Now we've purchased a new treadmill because our gym is closed and I wouldn't feel comfortable going at this point anyway. :oops:
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
h2osmosis

Post by h2osmosis »

My wife and I bought our first one in January 2017(Gen 1). Used the crap out of it. We just bought a new one(Gen 3). We bought both of our used but in brand new condition on Craigslist. We paid $1500 for our first one(and just sold it for $1400) and $1500 for our second one. There are deals to be had if you are patient on CL and FB Market Place. Just throwing that out there for those who dont want to pay full price.

I road ride all spring/summer/fall weather permitting and used to go to the YMCA in the winter to spin classes on THEIR schedule. Now I get to ride on MY schedule and when the weather sucks. Power Zone rides with Matt Wilpers or Dennis Morten are my personal favorite along with the Pro Cyclist rides.

It does get to be like anything else at times where it takes will power to get on it and go. Will yourself through those days/weeks. On some of those days I just mute the instructor and pump my own music or watch TV.
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

lazydavid wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:58 am Congrats! I'm coming up on two years with mine, and using it as much as ever. I don't know that I'd say I've used it more during the shutdown, other than the fact that I use it every day except when I travel, and I haven't traveled since February. :) On that note though, I actually just did the math a few hours ago, and while I've driven my car 2,481 miles so far in 2020, I've ridden the Peloton 3,621 miles. :beer

The pedals it comes with are Look Delta, which is a very old 3-hole cleat. After using mine for a few months and getting used to clipless pedals, I went out for a ride on my road bike and was really unstable because my feet kept coming off the flat pedals. So I ordered two pairs of Shimano 105 SPD-SL pedals, and replaced the pedals on both bikes. So now I can use the same pair of shoes on both bikes, with one of the pairs of cleats that came with the pedals. SPD-SL is similar to Look Delta, but they are not compatible. I'm not sure whether your existing pedals are SPD or SPD-SL, but you would certainly have the option of buying a set for the Peloton that uses the same cleats.

As for training, I'm very much a fan of Power Zone training. It keys classes to your current fitness level, and then works at specific outputs that are matched to your exact capabilities. You then retest on a semi-regular basis (4-6 weeks at first, longer as time goes on) to adjust the levels as you progress. Has been huge for me.
Great to hear! I hope to be using it as often.
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:41 am
tm3 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:11 am I used one regularly at the gym. I think it is a great piece of exercise equipment. Having said that, after about a year I started getting a little tired of the "sameness" of it but I still went back to it periodically.
I've found this to be true with any one piece of equipment (which is one benefit of a gym).

When we set up a home gym many years ago we ended up with three pieces of equipment due partly to the boredom factor and partly to help strengthen different muscles and parts of our bodies. We then moved to a neighborhood with a community gym so got rid of the machines. Now we've purchased a new treadmill because our gym is closed and I wouldn't feel comfortable going at this point anyway. :oops:
I still have free weights at home so hopefully rotating will keep things fresh. I do enjoy cycling outdoors as well.
Osterix

Post by Osterix »

lazydavid wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:58 am Congrats! I'm coming up on two years with mine, and using it as much as ever. I don't know that I'd say I've used it more during the shutdown, other than the fact that I use it every day except when I travel, and I haven't traveled since February. :) On that note though, I actually just did the math a few hours ago, and while I've driven my car 2,481 miles so far in 2020, I've ridden the Peloton 3,621 miles. :beer

It may be time to change your username. :beer
MittensMoney

Post by MittensMoney »

We've had our Peloton for a little over 6 weeks now. I've got 22 rides in and my girlfriend is at 30, so I think we're getting great use out of it and we'll just need to focus on keeping those numbers up (which is easy because I actually enjoy it.) It's a great piece of equipment, albeit overpriced, but I'd compare it to the convenience & quality of owning an Apple product.

One of my favorite features has been the Scenic Rides. The classes are great to learn, hit different cadences and resistances, and for outside motivation when needed. But the Scenic Rides have me competing with myself on my own terms and I really enjoy hitting a Personal Record while "biking through the Swiss Alps."

The pedals that come with the Peloton have a specific cleat, and I don't think most road bikes use that type of cleat so I'd do some research into whether you need new cleats, or new pedals, to continue using your road shoes. Since I didn't have any shoes to begin with I bought a cheap pair of Shimano bike shoes ($80) which should last a number of years and are comfortable.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Osterix wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:27 pm It may be time to change your username. :beer
Touché :beer
MittensMoney

Post by MittensMoney »

h2osmosis wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:06 pm On some of those days I just mute the instructor and pump my own music or watch TV.
If you're not aware, there's a 'Scenic Rides' category where you ride to a recording of the Swiss Alps, etc.. There's music overlayed which is okay but I usually just pop on a scenic ride and then use Spotify from my phone for my own tunes.
knowledge

Post by knowledge »

We ordered one back in May, it should arrive next week. This is to replace my wife's monthly cycle gym membership, and I intend to use it as a replacement for one of my weekly runs. If we use it as intended, we should get payback on it in 18 months or so.
trinc

Post by trinc »

djpeteski wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:41 am
Just to nit pick, the OP said he had 105 pedals, not the group set. He might have DI2 or something else. All that said, I think the Ultegra jump is an essential one in the group set and love my Kickr as much as one can love to ride indoors.
nit pick your nit pick :wink: with the revision of the 105 R7000 in 2018 there is really no reason to jump to Ultegra imo, other than the typical elitism cyclist seem to have.

Tim
2009 Allez
R7000 groupset - Compact double
Fulcum Wheels / Ceramic bearings
:happy
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Dumbbells are cheap? Have you priced them lately? This set is $1000, and that's only 5-25 lbs. Imagine how much you'd drop if you wanted the 30s-100s too. In general I've found weights cost about a buck a lb, but if you can score a nice used set you could save a lot.

Jogging is only cheap until you start getting interested in traveling to races. I can't believe what some joggers drop on qualifying for and going to Boston every year!
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

White Coat Investor wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:05 pm

Dumbbells are cheap? Have you priced them lately? This set is $1000, and that's only 5-25 lbs. Imagine how much you'd drop if you wanted the 30s-100s too. In general I've found weights cost about a buck a lb, but if you can score a nice used set you could save a lot.

Jogging is only cheap until you start getting interested in traveling to races. I can't believe what some joggers drop on qualifying for and going to Boston every year!
If 2k+ motivates my wife and I to workout more regularly, then I think it's money well spent. I hope it still has appeal after years of use!
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

RJC wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:10 pm
White Coat Investor wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:05 pm

If 2k+ motivates my wife and I to workout more regularly, then I think it's money well spent. I hope it still has appeal after years of use!
I'm just saying a Peloton isn't dramatically more expensive than a nice set of weights. I agree it's money well spent.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose »

Congrats, I hope you like it! Mine has been easily my best purchase in years. I ride it 4-5 times a week, and it’s been a godsend during the pandemic.

For the cleats: the bike comes with pedals. They use LOOK Delta cleats. If you buy your shoes through Peloton, they should throw in a pair of cleats. Otherwise, they’re $15-20 on amazon or REI. If you use SPD or Keo LOOK, those won’t work. I road ride as well and just bought a second pair of shoes so I’m not changing cleats.

They’ll get you all set up and positioned when they install the bike. Have a username and password chosen, as they’ll put that in for you.

If you’re not already familiar with their programming, give the array of instructors a try, and I suspect you’ll settle into some you like more than others. As a road cyclists first, I found I much prefer the coaches who focus more on consistent cadence rather than constantly bouncing up and down on the pedals and such. If that describes you, check out the “Power Zone” instructors or their resident pro cyclist. Robyn Arzon has a personality I sometimes like but sometimes am too grouchy for, but her Tabata workouts are good.

Have fun, it’s a great purchase! I’ll be ahead over my cancelled gym membership in a few months, and I’ve already used this tons more than my gym.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.
Vihoo

Post by Vihoo »

I've never rode an exercise bike in my life, but I can say the Peloton is well worth the money.
Played basketball growing up, and played ball and lifted weights in college and afterwards. Eventually, got busy/lazy and didn't keep up.
We got our bike brand new from Peloton using the healthcare worker discount (one free pair of shoes, etc.)

Within the first week, I dropped 6 lbs (BMI is 27 so I'm overweight and needed the cardio). I used it so much I realized that Peloton had created the iPhone and Tesla of exercise. I bought Peloton stock and call options. I got in in the high $30s and we're now sitting in the $50-60s. So we've paid for the bike already. Once the cheaper machines (lower priced bike and treadmill) drop - it's gameover.

My brother, and sister-in-law use our bike as well - at least twice a week. We have no problem with them doing so.
We're blessed to be able to afford a Peloton - and to have one in our home during this COVID mess, and we are paying a lot for it already.

I'd rather share the ability for my own brother & sister-in-law to remain healthy and well for many years to come since they are active and looking to take care of themselves. I'm a physician so it goes with the territory. I encourage all family/friends to come by and try it out/use it.

I look forward to bringing up my stamina and eventually getting a road bike.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Vihoo wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:31 pm Once the cheaper machines (lower priced bike and treadmill) drop - it's gameover.
They're going to release a cheaper treadmill and a more expensive bike. They are pursuing a "Better, Best" strategy, and the models currently for sale are the "Better" bike and the "Best" treadmill.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

FootballFan5548 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:09 am I personally weighed 235 lbs (6'3'') on January 1st. I changed my diet, peloton a ton, use all of the other peloton services like strength training, and stretching, and even outdoor running which I've started to enjoy. I weighed in at 195 this morning.

The peloton (and the lifestyle change that came with it) has completely changed my life.
And this is the kind of story that more than justifies the cost of the equipment.

Last I heard, coronary artery bypass surgery (if you live to make it to the operating room) costs over $50k. And the Peloton is, what, $3k? Hmmmm ........
SB1234

Post by SB1234 »

Plus we don't need no advisors. Even of the muscular ilk.
anecdotes are not data
SB1234

Post by SB1234 »

tm3 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:02 am
FootballFan5548 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:09 am I personally weighed 235 lbs (6'3'') on January 1st. I changed my diet, peloton a ton, use all of the other peloton services like strength training, and stretching, and even outdoor running which I've started to enjoy. I weighed in at 195 this morning.

The peloton (and the lifestyle change that came with it) has completely changed my life.
And this is the kind of story that more than justifies the cost of the equipment.

Last I heard, coronary artery bypass surgery (if you live to make it to the operating room) costs over $50k. And the Peloton is, what, $3k? Hmmmm ........
I think this is the wrong way of thinking. One thing we learn here is that results don't justify the strategy.
It's obviously good that FootballFan5548 is on the healthy path and this bike probably helpedn get into the healthy routine. But losing weight is not rocket science just like earning market returns is not.
Staying at the healthy weight is also simple;(maybe not easy). Just eat less and exercise more.

I mean if anyone needs to buy this bike or anything expensive, just go ahead and do it if you can afford it.

No need to justify it.
anecdotes are not data
worthit

Post by worthit »

New Providence wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:29 am Got it as Christmas gift for my wife last December.

Best purchase ever, I even lost weight. Benefit/cost ratio is excellent, not only has improved my physical health, also improves my mood, sleep and provides with great satisfaction after a particularly challenging ride.

Now I use it even more than my wife. Weekdays I use it a lunch time and in the mornings on the weekends. The flexibility of 20 or 60 minutes rides is great. As time has gone by I have began to make greater use of it, i.e. training programs, Yoga, strength, etc.

It is a great community and you will soon follow your favorite instructor. I personally prefer Denis Morton, he's low key, provides clear instruction, great sense of humor, excellent taste in music, doesn't overdue the inspirational. Each instructor has a particular personality, style and music that will fit your preference.

I received my free Century T-Shirt after my 100 ride and recently completed 200. My day ain't complete without my Peloton work out.

Enjoy.
Hopefully you are not this guy mentioned in the article :mrgreen:
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... sy/603148/
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

Nearly A Moose wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:11 pm Congrats, I hope you like it! Mine has been easily my best purchase in years. I ride it 4-5 times a week, and it’s been a godsend during the pandemic.

For the cleats: the bike comes with pedals. They use LOOK Delta cleats. If you buy your shoes through Peloton, they should throw in a pair of cleats. Otherwise, they’re $15-20 on amazon or REI. If you use SPD or Keo LOOK, those won’t work. I road ride as well and just bought a second pair of shoes so I’m not changing cleats.

They’ll get you all set up and positioned when they install the bike. Have a username and password chosen, as they’ll put that in for you.

If you’re not already familiar with their programming, give the array of instructors a try, and I suspect you’ll settle into some you like more than others. As a road cyclists first, I found I much prefer the coaches who focus more on consistent cadence rather than constantly bouncing up and down on the pedals and such. If that describes you, check out the “Power Zone” instructors or their resident pro cyclist. Robyn Arzon has a personality I sometimes like but sometimes am too grouchy for, but her Tabata workouts are good.

Have fun, it’s a great purchase! I’ll be ahead over my cancelled gym membership in a few months, and I’ve already used this tons more than my gym.
Thank you. This was very helpful.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

SB1234 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:32 am

I think this is the wrong way of thinking. One thing we learn here is that results don't justify the strategy.
It's obviously good that FootballFan5548 is on the healthy path and this bike probably helpedn get into the healthy routine. But losing weight is not rocket science just like earning market returns is not.
Staying at the healthy weight is also simple;(maybe not easy). Just eat less and exercise more.

I mean if anyone needs to buy this bike or anything expensive, just go ahead and do it if you can afford it.

No need to justify it.
If you are correct, and I believe that you are not, in your statement of "staying at healthy weight" is simple and not rocket science (why, just eat less and exercise more) then the USA would not have such an overwhelming incidence of obesity, cardiovascular disease, and all the associated negative results of sedentary lifestyles.

I applaud the OP's purchase and commitment and hope it works out well!
SB1234

Post by SB1234 »

tm3 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:02 am

No need to justify it.
If you are correct, and I believe that you are not, in your statement of "staying at healthy weight" is simple and not rocket science (why, just eat less and exercise more) then the USA would not have such an overwhelming incidence of obesity, cardiovascular disease, and all the associated negative results of sedentary lifestyles.

1. There is a difference between something being simple and something being easy.
2. There are many reasons for the obesity epidemic. You can find lots of research that attempts to find the reasons. But it was not always the case. Seehttps://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hestat/obesity_ad ... _09_10.htm
3. What is there to applaud an expensive purchase that 90% of families in the United States, let alone the entire world, can't even contemplate?
anecdotes are not data
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

tm3 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:02 am

No need to justify it.

Thank you. I'm in my mid 40s so health takes precedent in most cases.
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

Elysium wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:46 am

We used to hear about how the East German cycling coaches had their athletes ride the rollers while staring at a brick wall.
queso

Post by queso »

I have had one for 2.5 years and have several hundred rides on it. I generally use it 2-4x per week depending on what else I am doing (also a cyclist and MTB'er). I am using it a lot more during covid since my local cycling trail system is really clogged with everybody trying to get outside to escape lockdown and there isn't much social distancing going on. First, the bike does come with pedals. Someone upthread already mentioned the type of cleats you will need. I use Look Keo on my road bike so the cleats were a no go, but I dedicated a lower end set of shoes that I used to use at my gym in spin classes to the peloton that I already had lying around that had spds on them. The one thing to watch on the pedals is when they come to setup your bike make sure they do not cross thread them and install them correctly. If you have any experience with wrenching on bikes I would see if they will let you do it yourself. Back when I bought mine the delivery folks were top notch and arrived in a Peloton van and took their time putting it together (crew of 2). There are a lot of horror stories on Reddit about the current state of delivery and assembly since Peloton is struggling to keep up with covid demand. I think they have started contracting some of the delivery/assy out and that is causing a lot of post-delivery issues that are difficult/slow for Peloton to rectify since they also have customer service queues, parts delays, repair delays, etc., etc. I coupled mine with a Vornado fan that comes on a stand/arm that sits just under the screen and that works great for keeping you cooler during rides. I never tried the Peloton earbuds that came with it, but instead used a set of Plantronics backbeats I had lying around. Those eventually failed and I switched to Urban Ears Hellas. They are over the ear, but designed for working out and the sound quality/volume is lightyears ahead of the Plantronics. IMHO, you want something bluetooth and not corded - especially for out of the saddle work. I added a cheap handlebar mount phone holder so I can access my own music during rides (rant about this coming in 3....2...1...).

My only beef with it is the music. I am not a huge fan of current pop and a lot of the rides are heavy with that stuff. JJ used to do a lot of rock/90s rides, but since she left there aren't as many of those to choose from (Kendall, Emma and others seem to be cranking out more now though). Like someone posted upthread, if I start to get annoyed by the playlist or excessive instructor blathering I just pair my Hellas to my phone and fire up Spotify effectively muting the instructor/playlist. You can still follow along with the class if you want since the numbers are right on the screen (there is CC available too if you want to turn it on). A lot of the time I am looking more for a particular length than actually following the class though so sometimes I'll just turn on my own music and do my own thing.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

I remember when my wife had to have a treadmill.

We went to Sears. I asked the salesman how long one typically lasts. He said "forever.... since no one really uses it after they buy it."

$750. We finally gave it to some friends when we moved. They have since given it to some of their friends.
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

kjvmartin wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:59 am I remember when my wife had to have a treadmill.

We went to Sears. I asked the salesman how long one typically lasts. He said "forever.... since no one really uses it after they buy it."

$750. We finally gave it to some friends when we moved. They have since given it to some of their friends.
The gift that keeps on giving!

We cancelled our somewhat pricey gym membership so if we use the bike for 10 months or so, it will be worth it.
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

queso wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:46 am I have had one for 2.5 years and have several hundred rides on it. I generally use it 2-4x per week depending on what else I am doing (also a cyclist and MTB'er). I am using it a lot more during covid since my local cycling trail system is really clogged with everybody trying to get outside to escape lockdown and there isn't much social distancing going on. First, the bike does come with pedals. Someone upthread already mentioned the type of cleats you will need. I use Look Keo on my road bike so the cleats were a no go, but I dedicated a lower end set of shoes that I used to use at my gym in spin classes to the peloton that I already had lying around that had spds on them. The one thing to watch on the pedals is when they come to setup your bike make sure they do not cross thread them and install them correctly. If you have any experience with wrenching on bikes I would see if they will let you do it yourself. Back when I bought mine the delivery folks were top notch and arrived in a Peloton van and took their time putting it together (crew of 2). There are a lot of horror stories on Reddit about the current state of delivery and assembly since Peloton is struggling to keep up with covid demand. I think they have started contracting some of the delivery/assy out and that is causing a lot of post-delivery issues that are difficult/slow for Peloton to rectify since they also have customer service queues, parts delays, repair delays, etc., etc. I coupled mine with a Vornado fan that comes on a stand/arm that sits just under the screen and that works great for keeping you cooler during rides. I never tried the Peloton earbuds that came with it, but instead used a set of Plantronics backbeats I had lying around. Those eventually failed and I switched to Urban Ears Hellas. They are over the ear, but designed for working out and the sound quality/volume is lightyears ahead of the Plantronics. IMHO, you want something bluetooth and not corded - especially for out of the saddle work. I added a cheap handlebar mount phone holder so I can access my own music during rides (rant about this coming in 3....2...1...).

My only beef with it is the music. I am not a huge fan of current pop and a lot of the rides are heavy with that stuff. JJ used to do a lot of rock/90s rides, but since she left there aren't as many of those to choose from (Kendall, Emma and others seem to be cranking out more now though). Like someone posted upthread, if I start to get annoyed by the playlist or excessive instructor blathering I just pair my Hellas to my phone and fire up Spotify effectively muting the instructor/playlist. You can still follow along with the class if you want since the numbers are right on the screen (there is CC available too if you want to turn it on). A lot of the time I am looking more for a particular length than actually following the class though so sometimes I'll just turn on my own music and do my own thing.
I'm picky about music as well so I'll keep that in mind. Good advice!
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

kjvmartin wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:59 am I remember when my wife had to have a treadmill.

This absolutely happens when there's not pre-existing commitment, and no solid method of engagement to create that commitment. Peloton has proven to be a completely different beast specifically on the engagement bit, with 94% of new customers still being active users 1 year after purchase.

I'm guessing your treadmill ownership worked out to about $250 per walk/run?

All in cost so far for my Peloton bike is $3,611.90. This includes the bike itself, tax, delivery, extended warranty, shoes, and 21 months of service. So substantially more than your treadmill. But my cost per ride is $5.43 and falling. If I include all classes I've taken on the platform, it's $2.86 per class. But that includes a lot of post-ride stretches, so cost per ride is the ROI metric I choose to focus on. This coming from someone who literally never exercised previously. Like I said up top, it's about engagement leading to commitment.