Starkey Hearing Aids

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Bigfish

Starkey Hearing Aids

Post by Bigfish »

I am replacing my seven year old hearing aids. I have tried Costco HA"s but after six months and several visits and remakes we could not get the fit right. So now I am trying a pair of Starkey Livio Edge in the canal aids with a different audiologist. Does anyone have experience with Starkey hearing aids?
Doom&Gloom

Re: Starkey Hearing Aids

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Bigfish wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:55 am I am replacing my seven year old hearing aids. I have tried Costco HA"s but after six months and several visits and remakes we could not get the fit right. So now I am trying a pair of Starkey Livio Edge in the canal aids with a different audiologist. Does anyone have experience with Starkey hearing aids?
I have had a pair of Starkey Muse (RIC) for two years (almost to the day) that were recommended by my audiologist at a university health center. This is my first pair of HAs so I have no comparison, but I really like them. I had some initial rough spots. One HA was defective and began blasting static after about 30 minutes of being on; it was sent back for repair. I had some trouble adapting as I kept hearing a "hissing" sound at various times. I wanted to send them back before the expiration of the return window, but my audiologist believed that this was the best pair for my needs so he told me he would extend my return period as he tried to get them adjusted to my satisfaction. The "hissing" turned out to be my over-sensitivity to a specific high frequency at the "optimal" indicated amplification. He finally hit on the right settings around the fifth month (IIRC), and I haven't had a single issue or appointment since.

I could not be happier with mine, but YMMV of course. Good luck!
GratefulJack

Post by GratefulJack »

I have worn HA's for a decade. Recently updated to Phonak Marvel https://www.phonak.com/us/en/hearing-ai ... arvel.html, and I highly recommend them.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I used an audiologist from EENT initially and kept that HA for about 5 years. I was only moderately satisfied and made numerous visits for adjustments.

When I needed a replacement i went to Costco. I used the only certified audiologist at the store. She was cranky but did a good job testing and fitting me. Did you use a HA tech or an audiologist at Costco? The variability between people can be substantial, so it may be worth trying another fitter at Costco. I hate to see you pay thru the nose and not get what you need.
barber

Post by barber »

I am wearing a pair of Starkey. They are my first hearing aids. I went to an audiologist thinking I would need some hand holding. I am currently in my third year and am quite pleased although they are not my birth replacement. The cost difference is about double of Costco.
birnhamwood

Post by birnhamwood »

After 10 years, I'm still wearing my $5K Starkeys, but will switch when they wear out to the much cheaper HAs available at Sam's. I understand that they're of equal quality.

I also understand that high quality HAs will soon be available at $200 or so per ear, but some laws cutting out the audiologists must come first.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

I started wearing Starkey Livio 2000 Hearing Aids in February -- I have mild hearing loss, mainly certain consonant blends are difficult for me to hear. In general, I'm pleased with this device along with its companion hearing AP for my I phone. I'm not sure the new Starkey Livio Edge technology would be of great benefit to me -- my health insurance covered most of the cost of the HAs but wouldn't cover HAs from Costco -- so that was the major factor in going to Starkey for me.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

birnhamwood wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:02 pm After 10 years, I'm still wearing my $5K Starkeys, but will switch when they wear out to the much cheaper HAs available at Sam's. I understand that they're of equal quality.

I also understand that high quality HAs will soon be available at $200 or so per ear, but some laws cutting out the audiologists must come first.
Wow! Mine were less than half that 8 years later. Probably different models, etc, so the comparison may well be apples and oranges.
reisner

Post by reisner »

Major advances in hearing air technology seem to occur about every three years. In my case I waitedover four years and the upgrade was remarkably better. Both sets were from Costco.
Topic Author
Bigfish

Post by Bigfish »

carolinaman wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:33 am I used an audiologist from EENT initially and kept that HA for about 5 years. I was only moderately satisfied and made numerous visits for adjustments.

When I needed a replacement i went to Costco. I used the only certified audiologist at the store. She was cranky but did a good job testing and fitting me. Did you use a HA tech or an audiologist at Costco? The variability between people can be substantial, so it may be worth trying another fitter at Costco. I hate to see you pay thru the nose and not get what you need.
I have been wearing HA for 20 years, when I was working my first set was Oticon and later Widex both costed about 6K but I thought it was money well spent. I've been retired for five years and it was time to replace the Widex that I bought while I was working. After reading about HA on this forum I decided to try Costco even though it was a 4 hour drive one way. Since they were about half the cost of a pair of Widex I figured 2-3 trips would be worth the travel. The person who did the fitting was a certified technician I believe not an audiologist. See was nice and had been working as a technician for about 15 years. The brand was Phonax in the canal and although the weren't as good as Widex they worked just fine but she could never get the fit right. It came loose a lot particularity when I was eating. Now it was 5-6 trips so when the six month trial ended I returned them.
So a few weeks ago I saw an audiologist who only sells two brands, Phonax and Starkey. He seems very knowledgeable much more so than the woman at Costco which is expected. He fitted me with the Starkey Livio Edge which I am currently evaluating but the cost is almost 7K! So this is why I am looking for others that have worn Starkey HAs.
OAG

Post by OAG »

I use Resound HA and have been for over 15 years. Coming up on my next replacement set and will go with the latest version of Resound. They work directly with an IPhone and I have a device which allows me to connect to TV Audio where the Audio goes to my HA's and high volume does not bother others. I understand the new ones will be rechargable and does away with the batteries. Don't know about that yet but will find out soon. I have a hearing disability from military service so I get my HA's from the VA.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.