U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
TheDDC

Re: U.S. stocks continue to soar!

Post by TheDDC »

Robot Monster wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:47 am Someone here is gonna be an epic Boglehead-by-day, market-timer-by-night masked villian. I'm sure of it. :wink:
They're not really masked around here, though... Some are proud of ignorance!

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 75-80% VTSAX piled high and deep, 20-25% VTIAX, 0% given away to banks.
Schlabba

Post by Schlabba »

TheDDC wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:43 pm
Robot Monster wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:47 am Someone here is gonna be an epic Boglehead-by-day, market-timer-by-night masked villian. I'm sure of it. :wink:

-TheDDC
I like it. Sometimes this forum feels too much like an echochamber of endlessly repeating boglehead principles. We wouldn't need a forum if we all agreed to a 3 fund and be done with it.

To each his own! See my signature to see where I had (endless) discussions.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

Robot Monster wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:26 am
Okay, fair point, though you have to wonder how people are actually investing vs how they publicly present themselves here. People might not go ahead and admit when they stray from the course.
I think 100% of us are above average.
This time is the same
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

TheDDC wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:43 pm

-TheDDC
Assuming people who make different decisions than you are ignorant of the facts disregards the possibility they just made a different decision when presented with those facts. Everyone is to some extent unique as is their financial situation and responsibilities.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

firebirdparts wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:55 pm
Robot Monster wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:26 am
Okay, fair point, though you have to wonder how people are actually investing vs how they publicly present themselves here. People might not go ahead and admit when they stray from the course.
I think 100% of us are above average.
Given the sorry state of financial savvy in the general population, that might literally be true.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:56 pm Everyone is to some extent unique as is their financial situation and responsibilities.
So true, I have several annuities that provide me more than I need to live. I'm retired but still in the accumulation phase. It's not my fault I was borne in the first half of the last century when defined benefit plans were the norm.
Last edited by J G Bankerton on Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Corsair wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:05 am FANGMAN has a market cap equal to the combined GDP of Germany and the UK.

They seem to be too big to fail.

It's too big to fail, but not too big to underperform the market. Nothing is that big. :beer
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

I'm playing catch the falling knife again, my buy bot executed VOO at 288, I like even numbers. There were a few others playing the game at the close.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

Schlabba wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:29 am ...I think you took "history repeats" too literal. Nobody claimed native Americans are going to launch an attach on the NYSE...

However, bubbles in prices date back many centuries. We're still exactly the same in terms of greed, fear, fear of missing out, herd mentality, and so on...
I think you took my examples of changes too literally, although foreign extremists (not Native Americans) did launch an attack on the World Trade Center less than 20 years ago, which shut down the NYSE for a week.

To take it out of the financial world, we are biologically exactly the same as the citizens of the Roman Empire. But, when I need medical treatment I seek out a hospital that treats me with 21st century medicine, not 1st century.

And, I don't even need to go back 2000 years to give examples of huge change. In 1924, less than a century ago, President Calvin Coolidge's 16 year old son died of an infected blister he got while playing tennis. That kind of thing doesn't happen any more.

Similarly, in financial matters we have the same "greed, fear, fear of missing out, herd mentality, and so on" as in past centuries, but our financial tools, and understanding, are much more sophisticated. We have tools that previous centuries didn't even dream of, such as computers, the SEC and the Fed. Our financial improvements are certainly in a field widely different from medicine, but they are impressive enough that a rational man can seriously ask "are we relying too much on the lessons of the past?"

I am not contending that bubbles won't happen, because they have and they will continue, but I think we need to re-examine the lessons of the past in light of the tremendous progress made.

Maybe this time is different enough that different strategies will be useful.
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

J G Bankerton wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:02 pm ...executed VOO at 288, I like even numbers.
I'm gonna pick up on your theme, and buy at 300, because I like that movie. Shiller PE Ratio is at 29.72 currently. If only I could buy at 30 concurrently.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Robot Monster wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:14 am
J G Bankerton wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:02 pm ...executed VOO at 288, I like even numbers.
I'm gonna pick up on your theme, and buy at 300, because I like that movie. Shiller PE Ratio is at 29.72 currently. If only I could buy at 30 concurrently.
Thank you for getting this thread started again today.

It's high time that we start talking about soaring stocks again! :D
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

Robot Monster wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:30 am Funny we talking about China, because while it was +3.35% Friday, it's +6.27% as of the moment today!
China, China, China, it's China that has been soaring lately.
MCHI (China ETF) is +2.81% vs S&P +0.55%.

And gold cracked beyond $1,800.
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

I hope VOO stays above 285 until August. That is my next buy limit but I will have borrow from myself to do that. I just paid myself back from the buying I did I the first quarter. I will settle for sideways moves until them.

The buy at 201 on March 23 is up a sweet 44.13% :greedy
dogagility

Post by dogagility »

Stinky wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:28 am

Agree. This thread makes me happy. I don't glean anything worthwhile from it... other than a good feeling... which is nice. :D
Last edited by dogagility on Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make sure you check out my list of certifications. The list is short, and there aren't any. - Eric 0. from SMA
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

J G Bankerton wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:46 am The buy at 201 on March 23 is up a sweet 44.13% :greedy
I bought Disney shares on that day. That makes Disney my good luck stock.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

dogagility wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:30 pm
Stinky wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:28 am

Agree. This thread makes me happy. I don't glean anything worthwhile from it... other than good feelings... which is nice. :D
For a while many years ago the Sharper Image or Hammacher Schlemmer was selling a light that would glow either green or red depending on the market, and the light could sit on your desk at the office or whatnot and cast off the vibes.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

Robot Monster wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:36 pm
...For a while many years ago the Sharper Image or Hammacher Schlemmer was selling a light that would glow either green or red depending on the market, and the light could sit on your desk at the office or whatnot and cast off the vibes.
Does it work in reverse?

If I shine enough green light on the device does it cause the market to go up through some kind of electronic voodoo?

I can see this as the plot for a bad movie. Some evil mastermind tries to control the stock market with light rays.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

Well, premarket action is soaring again today.

Curly family portfolio is again at new highs. Almost getting boring, but only almost.
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

Just need to rename thread to US NASDAQ Stocks continue to soar! :greedy
"In the short run, the stock market is a voting machine; in the long run, it is a weighing machine" ~Benjamin Graham
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

CurlyDave wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:58 pm
Robot Monster wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:36 pm
...For a while many years ago the Sharper Image or Hammacher Schlemmer was selling a light that would glow either green or red depending on the market, and the light could sit on your desk at the office or whatnot and cast off the vibes.
Does it work in reverse?

If I shine enough green light on the device does it cause the market to go up through some kind of electronic voodoo?

I can see this as the plot for a bad movie. Some evil mastermind tries to control the stock market with light rays.
First we need to make "Bogleheads: The Movie" in order to illustrate the epic and timeless battle against the evil market-timing hordes.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

CurlyDave wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:24 am Well, premarket action is soaring again today.

Curly family portfolio is again at new highs. Almost getting boring, but only almost.
How do I get in on this Curly family portfolio, already? Please adopt me immediately.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

I am confused, is the market soaring or free falling right now? The tale of 2 markets continues.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:06 pm I am confused, is the market soaring or free falling right now? The tale of 2 markets continues.
Both soaring and free falling.

Nasdaq up, S&P down.
vv19

Post by vv19 »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:06 pm I am confused, is the market soaring or free falling right now? The tale of 2 markets continues.
Falling, but tech is trying to make it soar.
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

jay22 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:13 pm
Large cap growth makes me happy. :greedy
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Stinky wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:12 pm
Both soaring and free falling.

Nasdaq up, S&P down.
So 1/3 of the haystack is up and the other 2/3 down?
TechGuy365

Post by TechGuy365 »

J G Bankerton wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:14 pm
jay22 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:13 pm
Large cap growth makes me happy. :greedy
Another solid day today. Amazon up 3%, Google 1%, others up about 0.5%. I like it when it goes sideways or up very slightly, setting a solid base leading up to Q2 earning announcements. It has been a great year so far for large cap growth this year.

Any guesses on earnings?
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

TheTimeLord wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:18 pm So 1/3 of the haystack is up and the other 2/3 down?
I have to wait until 6 PM EDT to find out how my 1/3 of the stack did; come on Larry, baby needs a new pair of shoes. I feel good about it. I must resist the urge to chase and keep my holdings 90% VOO; only down .51% :? .
Semantics

Post by Semantics »

Corsair wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:05 am FANGMAN has a market cap equal to the combined GDP of Germany and the UK.
Is that a lot? The future earnings of a company (as estimated by the market) vs. the current year's revenue of two countries is a comparison I can't quite wrap my head around. :P

If we take the Buffet Indicator to be truth and assume it also applies everywhere in the world, then the above fact is equivalent to FANGMAN being worth 25% more than all of the public companies in Germany and the UK combined. Doesn't seem terribly out of bounds.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

Well, lets get back to soaring.

Dow is up nicely, S&P up a little, but NASDAQ is languishing.

No records today -- YET. But I am only 0.15% short.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

Semantics wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:03 pm
Is that a lot? The future earnings of a company (as estimated by the market) vs. the current year's revenue of two countries is a comparison I can't quite wrap my head around. :P

If we take the Buffet Indicator to be truth and assume it also applies everywhere in the world, then the above fact is equivalent to FANGMAN being worth 25% more than all of the public companies in Germany and the UK combined. Doesn't seem terribly out of bounds.
What's cool about it is that F, one A, and G don't sell a product, and then N just sells old TV shows. I'm an N customer, but honestly I never look at it anymore (which admittedly is a good business model). One of the A's is a retailer with profit margin of 1% and and PE of a million. M that clunky monopoly we all love to hate. That just leaves 2 that actually make a product you'd want. Tesla seems like a value stock in comparison.
This time is the same
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

firebirdparts wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:49 am
...What's cool about it is that F, one A, and G don't sell a product, and then N just sells old TV shows. I'm an N customer, but honestly I never look at it anymore (which admittedly is a good business model). One of the A's is a retailer with profit margin of 1% and and PE of a million. M that clunky monopoly we all love to hate. That just leaves 2 that actually make a product you'd want. Tesla seems like a value stock in comparison.
Which A doesn't sell a product?

I have lots of stuff with one name or the other on it. And I buy from both companies regularly.

With F and G the revenue comes from advertising, and the users (and data about them) are the product.
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

QQQ -.35%
VOO +.13%

Any questions?
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

What's cool about it is that F, one A, and G don't sell a product, and then N just sells old TV shows. I'm an N customer, but honestly I never look at it anymore (which admittedly is a good business model). One of the A's is a retailer with profit margin of 1% and and PE of a million. M that clunky monopoly we all love to hate. That just leaves 2 that actually make a product you'd want. Tesla seems like a value stock in comparison.
https://fortune.com/2020/01/16/netflix- ... 7-billion/
Netflix has no plans to be outspent as the streaming wars get more intense.

A new forecast from BMO Capital Markets estimates the company will lay out $17.3 billion in cash for original content this year, a $2 billion increase from 2019. By 2028, the analyst firm predicts, Netflix will spend $26 billion per year on content.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

J G Bankerton wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:06 am QQQ -.35%
VOO +.13%

Any questions?
You selling VOO to buy QQQ?
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

VOO +.13%

Any questions?
Are we having a "this is your brain on QQQ" moment?
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

Robot Monster wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:15 am
VOO +.13%

Any questions?
Why is VOO up and QQQ and VUG down?
I'm so confused. :?
as9

Post by as9 »

This is not a good description of any of these companies.
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

J G Bankerton wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:21 am
VOO +.13%

Any questions?
Cuz the Russell 2000 is up, and beating both the S&P and Dow, so clearly it's Opposite Day.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

Robot Monster wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:31 am
VOO +.13%

Any questions?
Cuz the Russell 2000 is up, and beating both the S&P and Dow, so clearly it's Opposite Day.
It is easier if I just think of it as "perversity of financial markets."
Robot Monster

Post by Robot Monster »

CurlyDave wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:44 am
VOO +.13%

Any questions?
It is easier if I just think of it as "perversity of financial markets."
I don't like the word "perversity". Has too many unseemly connotations.
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

J G Bankerton wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:21 am Why is VOO up and QQQ and VUG down?
My VZ is kicking butt, that is as opposite as one can get. Verizon is my former employer, I hold it for semantical reasons. Sadly I can't eat sentiment. :(
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

J G Bankerton wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:14 pm I hold it for semantical reasons. Sadly I can't eat sentiment. :(
But can you eat semantics?
Gufomel

Post by Gufomel »

So is Tesla going to pass up FAANG here in a couple weeks? Joking. But this is crazy. Approaching $300B valuation.
cj2018

Post by cj2018 »

Gufomel wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:32 pm So is Tesla going to pass up FAANG here in a couple weeks? Joking. But this is crazy. Approaching $300B valuation.
Up 10% in today's session - insanity!

Has to be short squeeze tho I'm guessing? Feel bad for all the short sellers....Musk is also selling short shorts if anyone's interested...
Gufomel

Post by Gufomel »

I bought Tesla a few weeks ago just for the fun of it (a fractional share equal to about 0.03% of my portfolio haha). It’s my only individual stock I’ve ever bought. It’s up 120% since I bought. It’d probably be better if Musk announces bankruptcy tomorrow so I don’t get the idea that I have any idea what I’m doing picking stocks, because I don’t.

Post by 1789 »

Gufomel wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:43 pm I bought Tesla a few weeks ago just for the fun of it (a fractional share equal to about 0.03% of my portfolio haha). It’s my only individual stock I’ve ever bought. It’s up 120% since I bought. It’d probably be better if Musk announces bankruptcy tomorrow so I don’t get the idea that I have any idea what I’m doing picking stocks, because I don’t.
That's awesome :) . Wait, i hear TSLA share price will pass AMZN price ahahaja. :sharebeer
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)
jason2459

Post by jason2459 »

Gufomel wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:43 pm I bought Tesla a few weeks ago just for the fun of it (a fractional share equal to about 0.03% of my portfolio haha). It’s my only individual stock I’ve ever bought. It’s up 120% since I bought. It’d probably be better if Musk announces bankruptcy tomorrow so I don’t get the idea that I have any idea what I’m doing picking stocks, because I don’t.
In this market right now, if anyone declares bankruptcy their stock will triple by the end of the day.
"In the short run, the stock market is a voting machine; in the long run, it is a weighing machine" ~Benjamin Graham
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Melting up toward the close.

It’s a good way to end the week.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

Now, that's soaring.

TSLA earnings will be 7/22 and I think there is wide speculation that they'll make a profit and be admitted to the S&P 500, causing some significant buying pressure. I am staying out of it personally. The day of reckoning here is only 12 days away, but of course if valuations are divorced from reality, 12 days could be a long time. 11 days from now you'd be concerned that if it's $100,000 a share, it might have to go to $101,000 a share if it gets into the S&P 500.
This time is the same