Picking the Right broker when Refinancing ... going from 3.75% to 2.75%

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
StevenNJ1

Picking the Right broker when Refinancing ... going from 3.75% to 2.75%

Post by StevenNJ1 »

I plan to pull the trigger today and refinance my 30yr mortgage (27 years left to pay) from 3.75% to a 2.75%. Most likely going with 25yr term.

After speaking with multiple brokers, it's interesting that their offers are somewhat similar. Best one I got was to go to 2.75% with $2,500 cost (title, credit report, notary, etc) and 4 months or so upfront escrow (taxes). Others came very close, all at 2.75% but $3,500 instead of $2,500 in closing costs.

My question is ... if they all are so similar, what else do you go by? One broker I already did mortgage with and all went fine but he is about $1,000 more than the other reputable broker.

What else is important that I should be asking when picking the right broker to go with?

Thank you.

P.S. Yes, I plan to be in this house for a long time. I already add extra $500/mo towards principal but feel uncomfortable going into 15yr term so will stick with 25 or 27yr.
anon_investor

Re: Picking the Right broker when Refinancing ... going from 3.75% to 2.75%

Post by anon_investor »

Maybe look at trying to get appraisal waived, maybe even escrow waived?

If you like your old broker, see if he can match the other broker's offer.
Goal33

Post by Goal33 »

I go by price. At the end of the day, your old broker isn’t paying your bills
desiderium

Post by desiderium »

The source of the capital the broker is accessing is one thing to ask about.

In the heyday of mortgage lending pre-2008, many brokers accessed capital pools expressly set up to originate loans and then sell them. It often happened almost immediately after funding, and there would be a period of confusion regarding who was handling the payments. Loan servicing was often low budget. This was pre-internet so much more difficult to track and verify that everything was being done correctly.

After 2008 I refinanced twice with a broker who worked directly with a medium-sized bank in New York that was acquiring highly creditworthy loans for its own portfolio. The bank contracted with a very reputable loan servicing firm that was easy to work with and reliable. It made a big difference in terms of comfort and confidence.
wootwoot

Post by wootwoot »

The best broker is the one with the lowest cost.