Global Entry Interview conditional approval (365 day clock)...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
cheapskate

Global Entry Interview conditional approval (365 day clock)...

Post by cheapskate »

Has anyone who has conditional approval for Global Entry (with a requirement to complete the interview within 365 days) have any info on whether the 365 day deadline will be extended because of Covid-19 ? I am conditionally approved and am required to complete the interview before long, but obviously won't be able to do the interview since all their offices will remain closed and international travel (with interview on return) won't be possible for several months. There is nothing in the FAQs that I can see about a possible extension.

Embarassed to ask about a trivial matter such as this in the midst of a pandemic, but curious if anyone managed to contact DHS to ask about this. It would be a hassle to apply all over again (the conditional approval takes many months).
davegreen10

Re: Global Entry Interview conditional approval (365 day clock)...

Post by davegreen10 »

I can't speak specifically to the 365 situation. But they automatically extended my expiration when they were backlogged on the renewal process. I'm guessing they will lean towards being flexible as opposed to being hard nose bureaucrats.
BoomerM3

Post by BoomerM3 »

It seems that the enrollment centers are again open and accepting appointments. I checked TPA (closest to me) and they have openings in July. So, you could complete your approval. I opted not to do that! I don't see any international travel for me in the near future.

I don't know about extensions.
pcsrini

Post by pcsrini »

According to this link, its now 485 days, and all offices are now closed till Aug 10th. If you had an appt prior to that date, it will need to be rescheduled. I have an appt in about a week, and have not received a cancellation email yet.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-m ... nt-centers

"CBP reminds the public that the agency took measures earlier this year to minimize the impact of the temporary enrollment centers closure on Trusted Traveler Program applicants. Each applicant now has 485 days from the date that CBP conditionally approves his or her application to complete the enrollment process. In addition, CBP will extend for up to 18 months the Trusted Traveler Program benefits of members who apply for renewal before their current membership expires."
Topic Author
cheapskate

Post by cheapskate »

pcsrini wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:28 pm According to this link, its now 485 days, and all offices are now closed till Aug 10th. If you had an appt prior to that date, it will need to be rescheduled. I have an appt in about a week, and have not received a cancellation email yet.

"CBP reminds the public that the agency took measures earlier this year to minimize the impact of the temporary enrollment centers closure on Trusted Traveler Program applicants. Each applicant now has 485 days from the date that CBP conditionally approves his or her application to complete the enrollment process. In addition, CBP will extend for up to 18 months the Trusted Traveler Program benefits of members who apply for renewal before their current membership expires."
Great. Thanks for the info. I will make a note on my calendar to call them after Aug 10 and see if I can make an appointment then. I just called my local enrollment office and they aren't accepting appointments (until after they reopen in August).
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

pcsrini wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:28 pm According to this link, its now 485 days, and all offices are now closed till Aug 10th. If you had an appt prior to that date, it will need to be rescheduled. I have an appt in about a week, and have not received a cancellation email yet.
This is correct. My Father-In-Law had an appointment on July 18th, and he no longer does. There are no appointments available at any of our local testing centers, but this doesn't surprise me since they were only doing them <1 month out when we scheduled before.
sco

Post by sco »

You can make appointments online now, not necessarily local to you.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

When they canceled my reservation due to the "emergency" at our southern border, they did not extend or refund my fee.
cheapskate wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:29 pm Has anyone who has conditional approval for Global Entry (with a requirement to complete the interview within 365 days) have any info on whether the 365 day deadline will be extended because of Covid-19 ? I am conditionally approved and am required to complete the interview before long, but obviously won't be able to do the interview since all their offices will remain closed and international travel (with interview on return) won't be possible for several months. There is nothing in the FAQs that I can see about a possible extension.

Embarassed to ask about a trivial matter such as this in the midst of a pandemic, but curious if anyone managed to contact DHS to ask about this. It would be a hassle to apply all over again (the conditional approval takes many months).
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
pcsrini

Post by pcsrini »

They are backlogged in processing the applications. My conditional approval for renewal took approx 6 months.
Topic Author
cheapskate

Post by cheapskate »

sco wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:32 pm You can make appointments online now, not necessarily local to you.
When I try to schedule it through the portal, no appointments are available at my nearest enrollment center (SFO Intl) through 2021. I will try and call them after Aug 10 (after they reopen) and find out what is going on. Maybe they have just blocked off all appointment dates until they reopen...
sco

Post by sco »

cheapskate wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:27 am
sco wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:32 pm You can make appointments online now, not necessarily local to you.
When I try to schedule it through the portal, no appointments are available at my nearest enrollment center (SFO Intl) through 2021. I will try and call them after Aug 10 (after they reopen) and find out what is going on. Maybe they have just blocked off all appointment dates until they reopen...
I don't know why you expect an appointment near you, no one else can get one anywhere near them. Check Florida and New York right now :)

This is the Government, they aren't happy until you aren't happy.
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

They cancelled me for the second time last week. I had had an appointment for the 3rd of August. First available near me [Los Angeles] was made for the 7th of December. Nice to learn they have extended the one year waiting period; the first I heard of that was right now in this thread.
Topic Author
cheapskate

Post by cheapskate »

sco wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:59 pm
cheapskate wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:27 am
I don't know why you expect an appointment near you, no one else can get one anywhere near them. Check Florida and New York right now :)

This is the Government, they aren't happy until you aren't happy.
Hahaha...

I think with the 4 month extension, I will be able to do the interview on a return from an international trip. The 4 month extension takes me well into 2021.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

sco wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:59 pm I don't know why you expect an appointment near you, no one else can get one anywhere near them. Check Florida and New York right now :)
I would expect the New York offices wouldn't be open anyway, since none of their residents are eligible for Global Entry.

Edit: how wrong I am. If you search the site for all locations with available appointments, you get 3 in New York (JFK, Niagra Falls, and Champlaign), and Port Huron, MI.
sco

Post by sco »

JFK is always available, of course it is hard to comply with local laws and actually get a flight there.

Florida has been open some too, just check every day.

If you have any international travel coming up, you can also do the interview upon re-entry at a lot of airports.
Savermom

Post by Savermom »

Thank you for asking this question!!! I have the same issue! I had an appointment in March that was canceled and then my late July appointment was also canceled. My deadline is October 31. I was able to sign up for December, so I was hoping it was extended.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

OLD THREAD

I applied to renew my Global Entry today. I was granted a conditional approval but it shows I must have a interview. The website states a current extension of 365 days.

I saw a small note that interviews may be in person or "virtual" with no further explanation. Anyone had a virtual interview? How did it go? Easy to schedule?

The renewal application itself was dog, taking well over 90 minutes. They populated the renewal form with information, then they flagged 7 errors. They had my correct birth date, but put a wrong date into the renewal application. Same for passport: the populated data were flagged as in conflict with my passport information that they had; number, expiration date etc. They had no drivers license information for me. Edits were tedious; do one edit to correct mis-data; go back to overall review to go to edit 2. Repeat. Finished? Then forced to review all again. The smoothest part was paying.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

It’s interesting that there is an option to do a virtual. When I went last year (preCOVID) for an in-person interview, I was fingerprinted.

Please update if you find out more as another family member is interested. Thanks.
Topic Author
cheapskate

Post by cheapskate »

The new posts here caused me to login to my account and take a look (so thanks for the reminder !). I had applied pre-Covid and was waiting for the interview.

1) The deadline has now been extended to 2 years post conditional approval being granted (730 days to finish the interview).
2) I went to see if I could schedule an interview, and surprise surprise! I was able to schedule the interview for tomorrow @ 10PM at SFO International Airport. Would be great to get this done !
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

cheapskate wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:23 pm The new posts here caused me to login to my account and take a look (so thanks for the reminder !). I had applied pre-Covid and was waiting for the interview.

1) The deadline has now been extended to 2 years post conditional approval being granted (730 days to finish the interview).
2) I went to see if I could schedule an interview, and surprise surprise! I was able to schedule the interview for tomorrow @ 10PM at SFO International Airport. Would be great to get this done !
curious, my mileage seems to vary from yours; my dashboard shows
"Due to a significant increase in application volume, we are extending the grace period from 6 months to 1 year for any submitted renewal application. This means you will continue to receive full benefits for 1 year while U.S. Customs and Border Protection is finalizing your renewal application."

looks like I have 1 yr not the 2 you mention? Or am I misreading the notice?

Good luck with your interview. Would you perhaps ask about virtual interviews and comment here?
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

just checked my wife's renewal from December. Her's is conditionally approved and shows a 730 day grace period.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

heartwood wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:28 pm
cheapskate wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:23 pm The new posts here caused me to login to my account and take a look (so thanks for the reminder !). I had applied pre-Covid and was waiting for the interview.

curious, my mileage seems to vary from yours; my dashboard shows
"Due to a significant increase in application volume, we are extending the grace period from 6 months to 1 year for any submitted renewal application. This means you will continue to receive full benefits for 1 year while U.S. Customs and Border Protection is finalizing your renewal application."

looks like I have 1 yr not the 2 you mention? Or am I misreading the notice?

Good luck with your interview. Would you perhaps ask about virtual interviews and comment here?
For those renewing, a 1 year grace period is provided so that you keep Trusted Travelers privileges provided you submit a renewal prior to membership expiration.

The application (whether net new or a renewal) is valid for up to 2 years from time of conditional approval for a final interview to be conducted.
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

cheapskate wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:37 pm

Great. Thanks for the info. I will make a note on my calendar to call them after Aug 10 and see if I can make an appointment then. I just called my local enrollment office and they aren't accepting appointments (until after they reopen in August).
This said; obviously there are "local" offices as well as locations at the airports in many major cities. I started the process of renewal in late 2019 due to mine expiring in early 2020 and of course they extended the expiration date as a component of reduced staffing and then the pandemic. I took nearly 10 months to get to the interview process and 12 to finally get the interview scheduled at DT Metro after a couple of months of delays due to closures. Once the TSA office opened back up at DT Metro it was pretty easy to get it done the week after Thanksgiving. Seeing the airport empty was mind blowing of course but all in all it took over a year.
Topic Author
cheapskate

Post by cheapskate »

Posting experience of my Global Entry interview experience, in case useful. This was initial application, not renewal.

1) I applied pre-Covid, so long ago that I don’t remember. 18+ months ago.
2) My conditional approval came in Jan 2020 (I think). I thought that I would not be able to get interview because of Covid and would need to reapply. But the deadline was pushed out first a year and then 2, from conditional approval.
3) A post here a few days ago caused me to check for interview availability. I was able to get an interview for the next day at SFO international. Plenty of slots available.
4) I went in yesterday, was interviewed and approved. The interviews centered mostly around fingerprinting and some questioning re: criminal record, have I ever been stopped at agricultural inspections etc.
5) The interview has to be in person, is what the CBP officer told me, because of the fingerprinting.

Note that my experience is for Global Entry. TSA Pre is a completely different program. Different office, possibly different from process.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

As noted above I filed a renewal online on Friday. I got a Conditionally Approved email today, Sunday. I've got 2 years from today to complete. I looked and see that I can schedule a Zoom interview online now. Been having some audio issues with Zoom recently. I'll debug before I schedule.

Guess they don't need my fingerprints?
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

heartwood wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:20 pm As noted above I filed a renewal online on Friday. I got a Conditionally Approved email today, Sunday. I've got 2 years from today to complete. I looked and see that I can schedule a Zoom interview online now. Been having some audio issues with Zoom recently. I'll debug before I schedule.

Guess they don't need my fingerprints?
Fingerprints are not captured at a renewal interview unless your fingerprints have changed since initial enrollment.
lgs88

Post by lgs88 »

Thanks, Bogleheads -- seeing this thread on the forum reminded me to renew my Global Entry/PreCheck. It was expiring soon. I filled out the form online; let's see how long it takes to complete the process.
merely an interested amateur
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

seawolf21 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:29 pm Fingerprints are not captured at a renewal interview unless your fingerprints have changed since initial enrollment.
My fingerprints were captured at my renewal interview yesterday and they haven't changed as far as I know. My in-person renewal interview lasted all of three minutes. A couple of basic questions about my employment that seemed to have no bearing on my travel or suitability for GE and then they took my fingerprints and I was renewed.
Last edited by THY4373 on Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

THY4373 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:38 pm
seawolf21 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:29 pm Fingerprints are not captured at a renewal interview unless your fingerprints have changed since initial enrollment.
My fingerprints were captured at my renewal interview yesterday and they haven't changed as far as I know. My in-person renewal interview lasted all of three minutes. A couple of basic questions about my employment that seemed to have bearing on my travel or suitability for GE and then they took my fingerprints and I was renewed.
I'm guessing they are following a script? Plenty of renewals don't require an interview at all even pre-COVID.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

My wife submitted her renewal application last year in September. It was conditionally approved a few days after submission, but there were no interview appointments, so I haven’t bothered to deal with it. They have been emailing her every few weeks to remind her that she can use interview upon arrival, but we have currently no international travel planned where this would be an option.

I submitted my own renewal application a month later, and it has been “Under Review” ever since. At some point I will look into ways to find out why they haven’t made any progress on the application.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

seawolf21 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:25 pm I'm guessing they are following a script? Plenty of renewals don't require an interview at all even pre-COVID.
Quite possibly just saying in some circumstances they do seem to re-fingerprint. I honestly have no idea why they interviewed me on renewal given how perfunctory the whole thing was. It actually took me twice as long to get into the building than it did to get approved.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

THY4373 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:07 pm
seawolf21 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:25 pm I'm guessing they are following a script? Plenty of renewals don't require an interview at all even pre-COVID.
Quite possibly just saying in some circumstances they do seem to re-fingerprint. I honestly have no idea why they interviewed me on renewal given how perfunctory the whole thing was. It actually took me twice as long to get into the building than it did to get approved.
For my first renewal some five years ago they initially sent me a conditional approval notice with re-interview requirement. I scheduled an appointment for several months out, and then (a few weeks before the appointment) received another notice that they reconsidered their decision and fully approved me without another interview. Perhaps a way to clear their backlog? In any case, their processes are mysterious...
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

just tried to schedule an interview. I can get an in person interview on Wednesday (day after tomorrow) at the airport. Basically 45 min each way, park, wait, interview, etc. So at least 3 hrs.

There are no available Zoom interviews at all, going into 2023, in any time zone I checked. Guess they want you to come in.

I'll wait a bit and see if anything opens up online. I don't understand why an interview for a renewal at all. They have all the info and docs.