What money saving apps do you use that are worth your time?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
manlymatt83

What money saving apps do you use that are worth your time?

Post by manlymatt83 »

Bogleheads tend to go for simplicity and passiveness, which I love. There are so many apps out there that let you save a dollar here or there. For example:

Pei
Freebird
eBates/Rakuten
Level Up
Seated
Ibotta
Raise
Bumped
Dosh
Drop

... and more.

Given that some of these apps require effort (even if it's opening it first before going to the website, or at least maintaining a linked list of cards), curious to know which apps Bogleheads prioritize, if any? And where do you draw the line on if the context switching is worth it for you?
Last edited by manlymatt83 on Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flobes

Re: What apps do you use that are worth your time?

Post by Flobes »

mjuszczak wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:28 am For example...
How about telling us what these are, what they do, and how they work? Otherwise, it's just another useless list.
Bogle7

Re: Money saving apps

Post by Bogle7 »

I use none of these.
I don't see the point for me.
1. All our money is at Fidelity.
2. All our groceries are being delivered so obviously I don't care about saving a few pennies here and there.
3. Daily market gains/losses are orders of magnitude larger than any numbers with these apps.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I don't offer up my personal data (including my email address or mobile phone number) in order to save a dollar here or there. I'm not familiar with most of these apps but I would not want to give them my location history, browser history, or any other personal data.
Topic Author
manlymatt83

Post by manlymatt83 »

Flobes wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:32 am
mjuszczak wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:28 am For example...
How about telling us what these are, what they do, and how they work? Otherwise, it's just another useless list.
Will do! Will update the OP.
Ping Pong

Post by Ping Pong »

Chrome
RocketShipTech

Re: Money saving apps

Post by RocketShipTech »

Bogle7 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:41 am I use none of these.
I don't see the point for me.
1. All our money is at Fidelity.
2. All our groceries are being delivered so obviously I don't care about saving a few pennies here and there.
3. Daily market gains/losses are orders of magnitude larger than any numbers with these apps.
A few pennies would not be worth it but how about 15%+ back?

5% back using BoA Cash Rewards credit card to purchase Raise gift card
5-10% off face value gift cards bought through Raise
2-3% back buying through Rakuten through Chrome plug-in
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

deleted since reply is no longer relevant with title change
Last edited by climber2020 on Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

Load all those apps, then complain about Windows XP,7,10 this version that version...good god.
stoptothink

Re: What money saving apps do you use that are worth your time?

Post by stoptothink »

mjuszczak wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:28 am
eBates/Rakuten
I've gotten a few thousand dollars in cash back using ebates/rakuten. When they have a triple cash back or 3x day, I load up on things I would normally be buying. 15% cash back (or more, +3% for using their CC and various coupon codes) for tapping the Rakuten icon in the corner of my screen before I purchase something is worth it to me.
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

mjuszczak wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:28 am Bogleheads tend to go for simplicity and passiveness, which I love. There are so many apps out there that let you save a dollar here or there. For example:

Pei
Freebird
eBates/Rakuten
Level Up
Seated
Ibotta
Raise
Bumped
Dosh
Drop

... and more.

Given that some of these apps require effort (even if it's opening it first before going to the website, or at least maintaining a linked list of cards), curious to know which apps Bogleheads prioritize, if any? And where do you draw the line on if the context switching is worth it for you?
I registered for Dosh perhaps a year ago when I read a review for it. I was curious how their business model works. App says I have $36 in rewards so far. I am not very impressed since we spend a lot of money on credit cards. I think these apps are only worth it if you shop based on the rewards they offer - they are not really passive.

If someone made an aggregator of all these apps, register my cards, track and cash out rewards for me .....that would be a cool app!
batpot

Post by batpot »

slickdeals.net (has an app)
activejunky.com (does not have an app)
EverydayWallSt

Post by EverydayWallSt »

mjuszczak wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:28 am Bogleheads tend to go for simplicity and passiveness, which I love. There are so many apps out there that let you save a dollar here or there. For example:

Pei
Freebird
eBates/Rakuten
I have used Rakuten (used to be eBates) for years and it’s saved me a lot of money. Basically, anytime I want to buy something outside of Amazon (e.g., Chewy, 800flowers, Lowe’s, etc.), I load stuff into my shopping cart online and then check Rakuten before checking out. It gives you cash back on the purchase for clicking on their affiliate link (I used to run a small affiliate site a long time ago - basically, they get 2-3-10% commission for “referring” your purchase to Chewy, in this example, and then share the proceeds with you. Rakuten sends you cash back via PayPal a month or two after your purchase automatically). It’s pretty easy. They even have a browser plugin if you want it to remind you automatically if you’re on a website with cash back available. My wife uses that plugin but I like keeping it clean and clicking through on my own. They also have a decent referral program if you have a friend who uses it (I referred my mom and got $25 and she got $10 for signing up).

I sometimes use retailmenot too. They have some different sites, but I like Rakuten best generally. Good luck!
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Local grocery store app if they offer digital coupons.
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

I use a couple of the ones you listed. I have my Paypal account linked to them.

I also use my local grocery store app for digital coupons and Receipt Hog which just requires a photo of receipts (only certain stores are eligible) and you get cash back based on the amount of the receipt. Rewards accrue slowly but it’s cash back for purchases I’d make regardless and takes minimal time.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I run very few apps on my phone. No need to add their junk on my phone when I can visit their website.
CycloRista

Post by CycloRista »

I do not use any money saving browser plug-ins.

Over the years, I've saved a good bit of money with what is now called Rakuten.

I keep track at take advantage when eBay sends limited-time purchase discount messages to my account.

My wife and I keep tabs on grocery cash discount offers- some of which require "registering them" on their web site or app (Giant Food, Harris Teeter, Safeway all offer decent discounts on specific items and 10% off or $20 off on $100 purchases with regularity).
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

For a few minutes work, if that...
Rakuten, especially for big ticket items on sale and/or with increased bonus level.
Ibotta, plenty of stores but the product selection at grocery stores isn't the best, IMHO.
Local grocery in-app coupons and specials. We get some great deals here, twofers and freebies.
bigb

Post by bigb »

When shopping online I use cashbackmonitor to find the cash back website that has the highest reward for the website I am shopping and then use that site to navigate to my purchasing website. cashbackmonitor is also very useful because it gives you the history of the website you are looking to shop on so you can possibly delay your purchase until the rewards are at their highest.
anoop

Post by anoop »

If an app is giving you money/rebates, then you are the product. I try to avoid downloading any apps to my phone. Even essential stuff is done through the browser on my phone. Recently it turns out that many iOS apps are reading the clipboard, so anything that was copied to the clipboard, including passwords is readable by them. Be wary of what you put on your phone.
https://thenextweb.com/plugged/2020/07/ ... -analysis/

I just deleted the LinkedIn app from my phone because of this.

My privacy is worth, to me, more than a few bucks.
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

I use My Points and Fetch.
“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” —Will Rogers