Just read my first book cover to cover....thanks!!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Carguy85

Just read my first book cover to cover....thanks!!

Post by Carguy85 »

So I just read Dale Carnegie’s “How to Stop Worrying and Start Living” after it being recommended on this forum. This is the first book I’ve ever read cover to cover aside from bedtime stories to my kids. At first, when I had my wife get the book off Amazon, she laughed because she knows I hate reading more than an article or two and certainly wouldn't be reading a book just because. I had recently been feeling burnout and have been a constant worrier for a long time even though I have a tremendous amount to be thankful for. I’ve had the best work week in a long time keeping his words in mind. Coming from a guy that hates books, I highly recommend it! Ready for another...I think.
sycamore

Re: Just read my first book cover to cover....thanks!!

Post by sycamore »

Congrats on finding a book that helps & give needed perspective for you.

If you're looking for book recommendations, there's plenty over in the What Book Are YOU Currently Reading? mega thread :happy
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

Try reading The Millionaire Next Door
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

Carguy85 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:38 pm Ready for another...I think.
If you liked Dale Carnegie, you'll love this:
Enough: True Measures of Money, Business, and Life
by John Bogle

From Amazon blurbage:
Page by page, Bogle thoughtfully considers what "enough" actually means as it relates to money, business, and life.
• Reveals Bogle's unparalleled insights on money and what we should consider as the true treasures in our lives
• Details the values we should emulate in our business and professional callings
• Contains thought-provoking life lessons regarding our individual roles in society.
Topic Author
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

Thanks for the suggestions... will look into them
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

iamblessed wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:55 pm Try reading The Millionaire Next Door
Excellent book. I learned much.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Look at any book by Jack Bogle.

Also consider John Brennan "Straight Talk on Investing": https://www.amazon.com/Straight-Talk-In ... 278&sr=8-6

Any of the three Bogleheads books are excellent.

All deserve a place on your bookshelf.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

If you want to go "all in", read Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People".
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

"Do the thing you fear and the death of fear is certain" by Dale Carnegie

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Carguy85 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:38 pm So I just read Dale Carnegie’s “How to Stop Worrying and Start Living” after it being recommended on this forum. This is the first book I’ve ever read cover to cover aside from bedtime stories to my kids. At first, when I had my wife get the book off Amazon, she laughed because she knows I hate reading more than an article or two and certainly wouldn't be reading a book just because. I had recently been feeling burnout and have been a constant worrier for a long time even though I have a tremendous amount to be thankful for. I’ve had the best work week in a long time keeping his words in mind. Coming from a guy that hates books, I highly recommend it! Ready for another...I think.
Carguy85:

Thank you for your post.

I am one of the few adult students who flunked The Dale Carnegie Course in Miami which emphasised the importance of public speaking (which scared me). I took the Course a second time and managed to graduate. Afterwards, I spent 15 years teaching public speaking in the evening divisions of the Dade County School System and the American Banking Association--and loved doing it.

My second worst fear was the sport of boxing. Despite my fear, I took up the sport and eventually became captain of the Riverside Military Academy boxing team and later became light-heavyweight champion at the University of Miami.

Lesson learned: "Do the thing you fear and the death of fear is certain."

I highly recommend Dale Carnegie’s “How to Stop Worrying and Start Living” and "How to Win Friends and Influence People." These two books changed my life.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: “The courage to press on regardless–regardless of whether we face calm seas or rough seas, and especially when the market storms howl around us–is the quintessential attribute of the successful investor.”
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
abuss368

Re: "Do the thing you fear and the death of fear is certain" by Dale Carnegie

Post by abuss368 »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:56 pm
Lesson learned: "Do the thing you fear and the death of fear is certain."
Thank you Taylor for the excellent wisdom and advice in life!

I have learned much from you and will always be thankful.
egrets

Post by egrets »

I don't think I would take up boxing. Sometimes fear is telling you something, like avoid things that can damage brain cells.
Topic Author
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

Taylor,
I feel a bit of an honor for you to respond to this thread! "How to Win Friends and Influence People” I think is one of my next books...I saw where someone posted (maybe you) the 30 bullet points of what I think was this book and the expansion of such points looks like an interesting and helpful read no doubt. I took a screenshot of the points but it doesn’t show what thread or who posted it. Thanks to all that responded. Several great suggestions that I will be looking further in to....giving up TV over a year ago has been one of my smarter life changes...about that time I also found this website!
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Carguy85 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:10 pm Taylor,
I feel a bit of an honor for you to respond to this thread! "How to Win Friends and Influence People” I think is one of my next books...I saw where someone posted (maybe you) the 30 bullet points of what I think was this book and the expansion of such points looks like an interesting and helpful read no doubt. I took a screenshot of the points but it doesn’t show what thread or who posted it. Thanks to all that responded. Several great suggestions that I will be looking further in to....giving up TV over a year ago has been one of my smarter life changes...about that time I also found this website!
Is this it?
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=280892&p=4540723#p4540723
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Topic Author
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

Yes! Thanks
AAA

Post by AAA »

I read How to Stop Worrying and Start Living many years ago and vaguely remember even then that Carnegie had some outdated notions about things. But putting that aside, I did find the book helpful.
Topic Author
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

Given it came out in 1948 there are a few things outdated but overall very relevant. I was disappointed when I first realized it was written so long ago (when I opened the book) but started reading and was pleasantly surprised... so much of it is timeless accounts/advice.