Moving Vanguard Total Stock fund shares

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
AlwaysaQ

Moving Vanguard Total Stock fund shares

Post by AlwaysaQ »

I am thinking of moving VTSAX shares from Vanguard to another brokerage. All are covered shares and I do have a list of dates, shares, and cost for each lot but I still worry that Vanguard might not send the correct information. Has anybody had that particular problem and how long did it take to fix? Also do I have to move all shares of the mutual fund or can I designate which shares to move? How do I start the process?
retired@50

Re: Moving Vanguard Total Stock fund shares

Post by retired@50 »

I would not do this.

I would convert whatever portion I wanted to move to the ETF equivalent known as VTI.
Then I would move the VTI shares elsewhere.

To convert VTSAX to VTI, call Vanguard.

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.
Topic Author
AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ »

I hate ETFs. I may have to use them some day but not today.
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

AlwaysaQ wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:06 am I hate ETFs. I may have to use them some day but not today.
Transacting VTSAX at any brokerage besides Vanguard will likely lead to fees per transaction. Sometimes large fees (e.g. $75). I'd suggest you investigate this before moving.

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.
Topic Author
AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ »

I understand what you are saying but I am not talking about buying VTSAX at other brokerages; only holding or selling. I would still buy the shares at Vanguard.

Post by 1789 »

Selling VTSAX on other brokerages might be free, at least it is so in Fidelity. Is there a particular reason why you are obsessed to hold VTSAX? For example you can sell it and then move money to Fidelity( using as an example) and buy FSKAX there.
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)
abracadabra11

Post by abracadabra11 »

1789 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:48 am Selling VTSAX on other brokerages might be free, at least it is so in Fidelity. Is there a particular reason why you are obsessed to hold VTSAX? For example you can sell it and then move money to Fidelity( using as an example) and buy FSKAX there.
Likely large capital gains in such a scenario.

Post by 1789 »

abracadabra11 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:56 am
1789 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:48 am Selling VTSAX on other brokerages might be free, at least it is so in Fidelity. Is there a particular reason why you are obsessed to hold VTSAX? For example you can sell it and then move money to Fidelity( using as an example) and buy FSKAX there.
Likely large capital gains in such a scenario.
Hmm, that would make sense if taxable. Tx
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I never had a problem moving mutual funds shares and having all the transaction information end up at the new place. As long as you don't move to a toy brokerage, I think you will be fine. Talk to the new firm and ask them about it. They should be the one making the request and they will be the one to screw it up.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ »

Thank you Livesoft. The only time I transferred shares recently they were in my IRA so cost basis didn't matter.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Responding only to the specific question, you can go to the section where purchases are listed and print it out by dates and amounts.

Tim
crefwatch

Post by crefwatch »

It doesn't answer the general case, but my main IRA provider is higher cost than, say, Vanguard. So when I buy or sell an Vanguard open-end fund there, I have to pay a transaction fee of $35. My purchases are large enough that the fee is a rounding error, compared to the ER of the comparable funds promoted by the other brokerage. My dividends and capital gains are reinvested without a fee, however.

I'm mainly talking about Wellington Admiral and Wellesley Admiral.