How do you avoid being lazy with 3-fund portfolio?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
luckybamboo

How do you avoid being lazy with 3-fund portfolio?

Post by luckybamboo » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:54 pm

Seven years back we discovered the beauty and simplicity of three fund portfolio and converted 97% our investments to the 3-fund portfolio. I and my DH did our risk tolerance analysis and decided that our asset allocation should be 70/30.
This investment strategy has let us sleep with ease during the current volatile market and we were able to stay the course.
But, the one of the side effect of this is that it has made me very lazy and except for rebalancing twice a year, I don't bother to read up on news, watch CNBC etc that i used to incessantly do in the past.
My fear is that I might miss out on important news, changes to the laws, change of strategies that are necessary based on changes in government rules and regulations.
So, my question is, how do you keep up with the most current important news that are not 'fluff/flawed advice' but important enough to take actions on. For e.g. the recent Secure ACT involving the inheritance of Roth IRA. I completely missed this news and found out about it 4-5 months later. It doesn't affect me right now but it will certainly have impact on how I plan my investments.

So, what resources are good to read/follow without spending significant amount of time on learning about such important news? Any websites/podcasts etc that you regularly read or listen to?
Any other tips?

AerialWombat

Re: How do you avoid being lazy with 3-fund portfolio?

Post by AerialWombat » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:01 pm

Do nothing. Just let it be. Lazy is OK. That’s the entire point of a simple portfolio.

kimura king

Post by kimura king » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:07 pm

It's ok to be lazy in that regard. Just don't be lazy with your income and savings rate.

geerhardusvos

Post by geerhardusvos » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:23 pm

luckybamboo wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:54 pm
Seven years back we discovered the beauty and simplicity of three fund portfolio and converted 97% our investments to the 3-fund portfolio. I and my DH did our risk tolerance analysis and decided that our asset allocation should be 70/30.
This investment strategy has let us sleep with ease during the current volatile market and we were able to stay the course.
But, the one of the side effect of this is that it has made me very lazy and except for rebalancing twice a year, I don't bother to read up on news, watch CNBC etc that i used to incessantly do in the past.
My fear is that I might miss out on important news, changes to the laws, change of strategies that are necessary based on changes in government rules and regulations.
So, my question is, how do you keep up with the most current important news that are not 'fluff/flawed advice' but important enough to take actions on. For e.g. the recent Secure ACT involving the inheritance of Roth IRA. I completely missed this news and found out about it 4-5 months later. It doesn't affect me right now but it will certainly have impact on how I plan my investments.

So, what resources are good to read/follow without spending significant amount of time on learning about such important news? Any websites/podcasts etc that you regularly read or listen to?
Any other tips?
The media is poison. Ignore the news. Put it all in VTSAX (or a three fund portfolio) and chill. No kidding. Have a plan, and stick to it no matter what.

You can avoid being lazy with the three fund portfolio by contributing as much of your paychecks to it each month
Last edited by geerhardusvos on Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VTSAX and chill

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:32 pm

I think you need to distinguish between the "noise" and what you do need to pay attention to. The 3-fund portfolio (or 2-fund, or 1-fund) is about how you construct a portfolio. The SECURE Act, CARES Act, and whatnot really had no impact on anyone's portfolio construction, e.g., allocation between bonds and stocks, or between domestic and international. The whole point of the Bogleheads philosophy on investing is to make a plan that you can stick to through thick and thin. So yes you can and should tune out the noise of the CNBC talking heads and Marketwatch clickbait.

On the tax side, though, there are definitely things that are relevant, including for retirement planning. So yes, you do need to keep up with changes to rules on inherited IRAs and RMDs, for example. But that has little to do with portfolio construction.

I'd say one of the advantages of the simplicity of the Bogleheads investing approach is that it frees up time to focus on tax planning. There is considerable room there for optimization precisely because of the complexity of the tax system. And this forum is a great place to learn about that, too. Actually I hardly ever read or write here about portfolio construction - there is just not that much to it once you've made a plan, and the ups and downs of the market really don't (shouldn't) change that.
Last edited by 02nz on Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:38 pm

I would argue that laziness is one of the biggest benefits of this portfolio. The less often you look at market movements, the less tempted you will be to deviate from your IPS.

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:58 pm

You may sign up for a free Ed. Slott's web site: https://www.irahelp.com/ They track major changes related to investment and retirement. They are more than enough.

jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:59 am

I use this forum as a filter as to what might be important news for me. It's not a perfect filter but a pretty good one I feel. Lazy is usually good when it comes to your investments once you have constructed good plan.

delamer

Post by delamer » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:10 am

The SECURE Act’s details were widely reported on in the general news, not just in financial news sources.

So hopefully, you’re continuing to keep up “ current events” even if you are avoiding specific financial news site?

Maybe you need to check a site like CNN Business once a week to make sure you don’t miss anything of importance: https://www.cnn.com/business

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:23 am

Wait? Is something wrong with being a lazy investor? I thought that was the goal.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:33 am

I don’t see how a lazy portfolio has anything to do with keeping up with the news. I read the news, financial and otherwise, every day.

Ferdinand2014

Post by Ferdinand2014 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:39 pm

“Lethargy bordering on sloth should remain the cornerstone of investment style.“

Warren Buffett

You are in good company.
“You only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out.“ — Warren Buffett

Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:13 pm

I met the author of The Three Fund Portolio at a sailing school south of Miami. I knew of Taylor the Sailor a few years before ever learning about Bogleheads. I would wonder how he and the other retired sailors figured out how to have such fun in their golden years, and not spend so much time stressing too much over money. So follow his advice from his book, which is to check your statements once a year. Learn to break the mental accounting habit. Enjoy life!

If you do need a habit to feel up to date with the financial world, read Bogleheads everyday.

During this current crisis, I’ve been grateful for my adequate emergency fund and for the fact that I really don’t need to change anything with my investments. I haven’t lost a moment’s sleep over what the stock market may or may not be doing. I put on CNBC for a few minutes just to get a feeling for the mood in the States, then I turn on Spotify and go about my day.

Topic Author
luckybamboo

Post by luckybamboo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:54 pm

Kitty Telltales wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:13 pm
I met the author of The Three Fund Portolio at a sailing school south of Miami. I knew of Taylor the Sailor a few years before ever learning about Bogleheads. I would wonder how he and the other retired sailors figured out how to have such fun in their golden years, and not spend so much time stressing too much over money. So follow his advice from his book, which is to check your statements once a year. Learn to break the mental accounting habit. Enjoy life!

If you do need a habit to feel up to date with the financial world, read Bogleheads everyday.

During this current crisis, I’ve been grateful for my adequate emergency fund and for the fact that I really don’t need to change anything with my investments. I haven’t lost a moment’s sleep over what the stock market may or may not be doing. I put on CNBC for a few minutes just to get a feeling for the mood in the States, then I turn on Spotify and go about my day.
Nice

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:11 pm

Lazy is a feature; not a bug.

Emilyjane

Post by Emilyjane » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:27 pm

I like the Oblivious Investor website. You can sign up for emails that come every other Monday and Friday, with the posts of that day, or just look at the website periodically. Short and sweet, I think it would cover anything important to know.
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance", Confucius

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:32 pm

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:39 pm

The only financial news that's important for me is each year's tax changes. That's why I use an accountant, so I won't make stupid tax mistakes or waste time trying to find and understand the changes. I always did taxes by hand while working, but it's no way to spend retirement.
18% cash 44% stock 38% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:40 pm

luckybamboo wrote:
Can you name a single "important news" that isn't changes to tax laws?

Because it seems like your question is just "how do I learn about changes to tax law?" And it seems pretty ridiculous to think that you need to read the news or a blog or a podcast on a regular basis to learn to about those..... After all the IRS tells you what the changes are every year.

So my advice to you is the read Publication 17 once a year and read the "What's New" and "Impact of New Legislation" sections.

If, for reason, you think that isn't enough, then go check the news section on IRS.gov every few days/weeks/months at whatever interval helps you sleep at night.

xxd091

Post by xxd091 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:10 am

I think your use of the word lazy is a mistake
It implies poor behaviour sloth and idleness
To be able to set an Investment Plan-written down
Set an Asset Allocation and stick with it through thick and thin is the very opposite of laziness
It is very counterintuitive for humans not to meddle
Not meddling is basic to the Bogleheads philosophy
This takes self discipline and knowledge -difficult for humans never mind investors
I run a 3 fund portfolio and do not fiddle-now 74-17 years retired -it worked for me
I do enjoy reading financial blogs and keep up with financial news but under no money pressure
Things do change over time-tax laws, how you manage withdrawals etc
To be able to approach all things financial with a calm head is really satisfying
There are some great writers out there-I only listen to the best-I enjoy the financial scandals from a safe distance
Investing is like the human condition -there is alway something new to learn
Enjoy your peace of mind but stay financially alert-nothing is forever!
xxd091

Topic Author
luckybamboo

Post by luckybamboo » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:28 pm

xxd091 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:10 am
I think your use of the word lazy is a mistake
It implies poor behaviour sloth and idleness
To be able to set an Investment Plan-written down
Set an Asset Allocation and stick with it through thick and thin is the very opposite of laziness
It is very counterintuitive for humans not to meddle
Not meddling is basic to the Bogleheads philosophy
This takes self discipline and knowledge -difficult for humans never mind investors
I run a 3 fund portfolio and do not fiddle-now 74-17 years retired -it worked for me
I do enjoy reading financial blogs and keep up with financial news but under no money pressure
Things do change over time-tax laws, how you manage withdrawals etc
To be able to approach all things financial with a calm head is really satisfying
There are some great writers out there-I only listen to the best-I enjoy the financial scandals from a safe distance
Investing is like the human condition -there is alway something new to learn
Enjoy your peace of mind but stay financially alert-nothing is forever!
xxd091
Could you share the names of the great writers that you mentioned?

xxd091

Post by xxd091 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:44 pm

John Bogle, Jonathan Clements,Larry Swedroe, Rick Ferri,Alan Roth,the two Bernstein’s ,Howard Marks
The blog writers of Bogleheads forum-Taylor et al,Monevator.com(UK),Lars Kroijer (UK)
Two particular Bogleheads posters helped me a lot-Ozark 42(no longer posts) and Sheepdog
etc etc
xxd091

retired@50

Post by retired@50 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:09 pm

luckybamboo wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:28 pm

Could you share the names of the great writers that you mentioned?
I have a list too... See below.
Try some of these authors, in addition to Burton G. Malkiel.
Charles D. Ellis
William J. Bernstein
Gregory Arthur Baer
Jack Brennan
Jeremy J. Siegel
Richard A. Ferri
Larry E. Swedroe
Ben Carlson
John C. Bogle
Richard H. Thaler
Gary Belsky
Jason Zweig
Taylor Larimore
Andrew Tobias
Bill Schultheis
Fred Schwed Jr.
Roger C. Gibson
David F. Swensen
Jonathan Clements
Lawrence J. Kotlikoff
Daniel Kahneman

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.

SB1234

Post by SB1234 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:41 pm

Keep scanning bh from time to time. Alternately loook at the free fall and the soaring threads. You will get all the news you will ever need. :beer

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:05 pm

luckybamboo wrote:

Any other tips?
Lazy with a portfolio? You want lazy, I'll give you lazy (of which the Three Fund Portfolio is just one of many)... :D

150 Portfolios Better Than Yours

https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/150-p ... han-yours/

If that's not enough, here are 235 Portfolios Better Than Yours

https://www.portfolioeinstein.com/235-p ... han-yours/
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:08 pm

luckybamboo wrote:
Someone on this site will find and deliver the relevant news.

For all non-investing news worth knowing about, watch TMZ, not CNBC.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:49 am

Ferdinand2014 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:39 pm
“Lethargy bordering on sloth should remain the cornerstone of investment style.“

Warren Buffett

You are in good company.
Huge advice. Investors would be wise to follow.
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

02nz

Post by 02nz » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:10 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:49 am
Ferdinand2014 wrote:

Warren Buffett

You are in good company.
Now about those airline stocks ... :P

jason2459

Post by jason2459 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:11 pm

02nz wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:10 pm
abuss368 wrote:
Ferdinand2014 wrote:

Warren Buffett

You are in good company.
The ultimate TLH.

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:52 pm

I would say an important side effect of being lazy with your portfolio is being able concentrate on other areas of your life.

For example, instead of trying to stay ahead of market news you could:

Concentrate on your career, leading to possibly higher pay and an even higher savings rate.

Concentrate on your family and friends, leading to more joy in your life.

Concentrate on health or fitness which could lead to reduced medical costs.

Even it it could be proved that in the future your investments could perform better by actively managing them, you may choose not to because of what you may lose.

xxd091

Post by xxd091 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:48 pm

Absolutely the point of a 3 fund portfolio !!!
Time to do the more important things in life!!
xxd091

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:05 pm

02nz wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:10 pm
abuss368 wrote:
Ferdinand2014 wrote:

Warren Buffett

You are in good company.
I believe Buffett sold out correct?
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

gr7070

Post by gr7070 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:39 pm

kimura king wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:07 pm
It's ok to be lazy in that regard. Just don't be lazy with your income
Agreed!
kimura king wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:07 pm
Just don't be lazy with your... savings rate.
Heck, we're even lazy there.

We've settled into a rate that works for us. It meets our retirement needs while also fulfilling our desires for short term enjoyment. It's also not a low percentage. So we've become plenty lazy there, as well.

In fact, we are spending more and more (total dollars, not rate) on things we never used to - doing less DIY than ever before.

We could certainly improve on saving, but to what end?

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:28 pm

luckybamboo wrote:
how do you keep up with the most current important news that are not 'fluff/flawed advice' but important enough to take actions on.
From time to time and only for entertainment purposes, I watch a talking head on a business channel. His favorite approach to analysis is to say "oh look the Dow is now at _____" about every ten minutes. Don't know what actionable advice you can get from that if you are in the buy, hold and rebalance crowd.

I'm beginning to like the own it all and rebalance once a year, if necessary, or so approach. If you like hands on involvement, LifeStrategy funds rebalances daily - or so it seems - and you don't have to do a thing. Best of both worlds.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

theTRA

Post by theTRA » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:46 pm

djpeteski wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:52 pm
I would say an important side effect of being lazy with your portfolio is being able concentrate on other areas of your life.

Concentrate on your career, leading to possibly higher pay and an even higher savings rate.

Even it it could be proved that in the future your investments could perform better by actively managing them, you may choose not to because of what you may lose.
:sharebeer

Topic Author
luckybamboo

Post by luckybamboo » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:52 pm

xxd091 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:44 pm
John Bogle, Jonathan Clements,Larry Swedroe, Rick Ferri,Alan Roth,the two Bernstein’s ,Howard Marks
The blog writers of Bogleheads forum-Taylor et al,Monevator.com(UK),Lars Kroijer (UK)
Two particular Bogleheads posters helped me a lot-Ozark 42(no longer posts) and Sheepdog
etc etc
xxd091
Thank you

Topic Author
luckybamboo

Post by luckybamboo » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:54 pm

djpeteski wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:52 pm

That's exactly what I discovered. I found many meaningful activities that bring me lot of joy and satisfaction because my portfolio and trying to keep up with the news don't give me anxiety any more.