Norton 360 and Macbook

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Skeeter1

Norton 360 and Macbook

Post by Skeeter1 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:55 am

I am an old school PC user that always loved Norton. I have recently switched over to the Apple family including iphone, ipad and macbook air.
My Norton subscription includes LifeLock protection as well. Norton has offered me a free upgrade now to Norton 360, until my renewal in November. I believe the renewal price, with LifeLock will be $129/year. My question. Do Apple products need this software? I know that Microsoft Windows, etc. certainly benefited by it, but I get the feeling that it may be totally unnecesary and is useless clutter, not worth the HD space or high price.
I would appreciate any input. Thank you.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Norton 360 and Macbook

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:04 am

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (software).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

9liner

Post by 9liner » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:12 am

1. I’ve been a Mac user for over 15 years and have never used any type of anti-virus program and have yet to suffer any negative consequences.

2. In reference to Windows PCs: Windows defender has become robust to the point that most of the recent articles I’ve read state that third-party anti-virus software is no longer necessary.

BLUF: you’re wasting money if paying for anti-virus on either platform.

nullisland

Post by nullisland » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:25 am

9liner wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:12 am
1. I’ve been a Mac user for over 15 years and have never used any type of anti-virus program and have yet to suffer any negative consequences.

2. In reference to Windows PCs: Windows defender has become robust to the point that most of the recent articles I’ve read state that third-party anti-virus software is no longer necessary.

BLUF: you’re wasting money if paying for anti-virus on either platform.
Agreed, I would not recommend using any third-party anti-virus software, on either Mac or Windows (Windows Defender is fine).

Beyond being a waste of money, anti-virus software requires such elevated privileges to work that they can introduce their own security vulnerabilities. Here's a recent example of a remote code execution vulnerability found in Avast, one of the big commercial anti-virus services: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zer ... il?id=2018

Things you should do:

1. Keep your software up to date. Turn on automatic updates for your web browser and operating system.
2. Don't reuse passwords, use unique ones for each login and store them in a password manager.
3. Use multi-factor authentication when possible.

This is a good general-purpose guide to security: https://techsolidarity.org/resources/basic_security.htm

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:40 am

Norton is a joke among cyber security professionals. Even on Windows, I would steer well clear of any of their products.

illumination

Post by illumination » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:41 am

No, you don't need it. I would also argue LifeLock is not needed also.

I've been a Mac User for something like 20+ years and I've had only one incident in my life and it was some sort of spyware that was sort of in a "gray" area of something I installed. I've never had one "real" virus on a Mac, I've had all sorts of nonsense on PCs.

Malwarebytes is a free, reputable way you can scan your mac, or you can pay for a subscription for more options.

Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:37 pm

Save the $129.
Mac user since 1989.

Topic Author
Skeeter1

Post by Skeeter1 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:27 am

Thanks all. I appreciate your advise and will not renew my existing Norton protection. Great to know. :sharebeer

trinc

Post by trinc » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:37 am

Norton tools (DOS) and utilities ( early windows ) were some of the best around, those days have long passed. once sold, early 90's iirc, things went down hill.

Tim

Topic Author
Skeeter1

Post by Skeeter1 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:28 pm

trinc wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:37 am
Norton tools (DOS) and utilities ( early windows ) were some of the best around, those days have long passed. once sold, early 90's iirc, things went down hill.

Tim
Thanks for the update.

Topic Author
Skeeter1

Post by Skeeter1 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:33 pm

illumination wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:41 am

I've been a Mac User for something like 20+ years and I've had only one incident in my life and it was some sort of spyware that was sort of in a "gray" area of something I installed. I've never had one "real" virus on a Mac, I've had all sorts of nonsense on PCs.

Malwarebytes is a free, reputable way you can scan your mac, or you can pay for a subscription for more options.
Tell me why you think Lifelock is not necessary. True that I have for many years, frozen my credit with the 3 major agencies, but I do (did :oops: ), travel domestically and overseas a lot, so I felt that it was an extra layer for real time fraud. I would not mind being wrong about that and save the money.
I am looking forward to your response, or anyone else with lnowledge in this area.
Thanks

illumination

Post by illumination » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:18 pm

Skeeter1 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:33 pm
illumination wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:41 am

Tell me why you think Lifelock is not necessary. True that I have for many years, frozen my credit with the 3 major agencies, but I do (did :oops: ), travel domestically and overseas a lot, so I felt that it was an extra layer for real time fraud. I would not mind being wrong about that and save the money.
I am looking forward to your response, or anyone else with lnowledge in this area.
Thanks
I just think you can freeze your credit for free and accomplish the same thing.

Topic Author
Skeeter1

Post by Skeeter1 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:25 am

Ok, I understand that and have been freezing my credit that for years. I will revisit Lifelock going forward.
Thanks for the quick reply.