How to Tell if a Flight is Operated by a Partner Airline

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
grettman
Posts: 569
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:47 pm

How to Tell if a Flight is Operated by a Partner Airline

Post by grettman » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:04 am

Sadly I am going to have to cancel my family's flights to Glacier National Park in August. I need to make a decision if I want a credit or a certificate. Credit gives me the most flexibility and I have up to 24 months to use it. However, it can only be used for "United" flights (not their partners). How can I tell if a flight is actually serviced by United and not a Partner? For instance, I simply want to know if my existing tickets are serviced by United but I can't seem to figure this out. Any ideas? I want to get a feel for whether or not most places that I am likely to go will be serviced by United themselves. Thanks!

OnceARunner
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:50 pm

Re: How to Tell if a Flight is Operated by a Partner Airline

Post by OnceARunner » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:28 am

It would say “operated by ________) under the flight details. At least that’s where it is on the app. Not sure on the website but it should be clearly listed.

This is mostly an issue with international tickets that may be operated by their codeshare partners Lufthansa, Air Canada, All Nippon Airways, etc.

Image

However, are you sure they can only be used on United flights? This website seems to indicate both types can be used on partner flights.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/bo ... edits.html

dukeblue219
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:40 pm

Re: How to Tell if a Flight is Operated by a Partner Airline

Post by dukeblue219 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:15 am

OnceARunner wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:28 am
It would say “operated by ________) under the flight details. At least that’s where it is on the app. Not sure on the website but it should be clearly listed.

This is mostly an issue with international tickets that may be operated by their codeshare partners Lufthansa, Air Canada, All Nippon Airways, etc.
You'd also see it a lot on the shorter regional hops - Operated By Air Wisconsin, Operated By PSA, Operated By ExpressJet, etc. However, I too would be surprised if you can't use your credit on those "United Express" carriers.

Edit - this page may help understand what you can do: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/bo ... ure-flight

HawkeyePierce
Posts: 1326
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:29 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: How to Tell if a Flight is Operated by a Partner Airline

Post by HawkeyePierce » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:11 am

dukeblue219 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:15 am
OnceARunner wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:28 am
It would say “operated by ________) under the flight details. At least that’s where it is on the app. Not sure on the website but it should be clearly listed.

This is mostly an issue with international tickets that may be operated by their codeshare partners Lufthansa, Air Canada, All Nippon Airways, etc.
You'd also see it a lot on the shorter regional hops - Operated By Air Wisconsin, Operated By PSA, Operated By ExpressJet, etc. However, I too would be surprised if you can't use your credit on those "United Express" carriers.

Edit - this page may help understand what you can do: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/bo ... ure-flight
Regional carriers like ExpressJet aren't partners, they're subcontractors. Those are still considered to be operated by United for ticketing purposes.

dukeblue219
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:40 pm

Re: How to Tell if a Flight is Operated by a Partner Airline

Post by dukeblue219 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:14 am

HawkeyePierce wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:11 am
dukeblue219 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:15 am
OnceARunner wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:28 am
It would say “operated by ________) under the flight details. At least that’s where it is on the app. Not sure on the website but it should be clearly listed.

This is mostly an issue with international tickets that may be operated by their codeshare partners Lufthansa, Air Canada, All Nippon Airways, etc.
You'd also see it a lot on the shorter regional hops - Operated By Air Wisconsin, Operated By PSA, Operated By ExpressJet, etc. However, I too would be surprised if you can't use your credit on those "United Express" carriers.

Edit - this page may help understand what you can do: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/bo ... ure-flight
Regional carriers like ExpressJet aren't partners, they're subcontractors. Those are still considered to be operated by United for ticketing purposes.
What I was really trying to say is that when you do a flight search those flights will say OPERATED BY as well, but it almost certainly doesn't mean you can't use the credit there.

02nz
Posts: 4942
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: How to Tell if a Flight is Operated by a Partner Airline

Post by 02nz » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:19 am

grettman wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:04 am
Sadly I am going to have to cancel my family's flights to Glacier National Park in August. I need to make a decision if I want a credit or a certificate. Credit gives me the most flexibility and I have up to 24 months to use it. However, it can only be used for "United" flights (not their partners). How can I tell if a flight is actually serviced by United and not a Partner? For instance, I simply want to know if my existing tickets are serviced by United but I can't seem to figure this out. Any ideas? I want to get a feel for whether or not most places that I am likely to go will be serviced by United themselves. Thanks!
Your certificate should be good for United's own flights ("mainline") as well as United Express flights (operated by Republic Airways, etc.). It is not good for flights operated by Lufthansa, ANA, Air Canada, etc.

The "operated by" part is confusing because it can be either a carrier like Republic Airways, with which United contracts for flying United Express flights (can use voucher), or a partner like Air Canada or Lufthansa (cannot use voucher). So if you see "operated by" then whether it's "United Express" is the key. On some websites you'll see something like "operated by Republic Airways dba United Expresss" (dba = doing business as).
Last edited by 02nz on Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:54 am, edited 4 times in total.

jbmitt
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:00 am

Re: How to Tell if a Flight is Operated by a Partner Airline

Post by jbmitt » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:43 am

02nz wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:19 am
grettman wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:04 am
Sadly I am going to have to cancel my family's flights to Glacier National Park in August. I need to make a decision if I want a credit or a certificate. Credit gives me the most flexibility and I have up to 24 months to use it. However, it can only be used for "United" flights (not their partners). How can I tell if a flight is actually serviced by United and not a Partner? For instance, I simply want to know if my existing tickets are serviced by United but I can't seem to figure this out. Any ideas? I want to get a feel for whether or not most places that I am likely to go will be serviced by United themselves. Thanks!
Your certificate should be good for United's own flights ("mainline") as well as United Express flights (operated by Republic Airways, etc.). It is not good for flights operated by Lufthansa, ANA, Air Canada, etc.

If you see a United flight number but "operated by" an airline other than United for a domestic flight, it's almost certainly United Express (since United no longer has a major U.S. partner), and should be ok. For an international flight it's almost certainly a partner airline and thus excluded.
There are plenty of international flights operated by United Express. Think Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean.

02nz
Posts: 4942
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: How to Tell if a Flight is Operated by a Partner Airline

Post by 02nz » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:46 am

jbmitt wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:43 am
02nz wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:19 am
grettman wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:04 am
Sadly I am going to have to cancel my family's flights to Glacier National Park in August. I need to make a decision if I want a credit or a certificate. Credit gives me the most flexibility and I have up to 24 months to use it. However, it can only be used for "United" flights (not their partners). How can I tell if a flight is actually serviced by United and not a Partner? For instance, I simply want to know if my existing tickets are serviced by United but I can't seem to figure this out. Any ideas? I want to get a feel for whether or not most places that I am likely to go will be serviced by United themselves. Thanks!
Your certificate should be good for United's own flights ("mainline") as well as United Express flights (operated by Republic Airways, etc.). It is not good for flights operated by Lufthansa, ANA, Air Canada, etc.

If you see a United flight number but "operated by" an airline other than United for a domestic flight, it's almost certainly United Express (since United no longer has a major U.S. partner), and should be ok. For an international flight it's almost certainly a partner airline and thus excluded.
There are plenty of international flights operated by United Express. Think Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean.
Good point, edited my post to clarify.

Topic Author
grettman
Posts: 569
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:47 pm

Re: How to Tell if a Flight is Operated by a Partner Airline

Post by grettman » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:29 am

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE RESPONSES!

Post Reply