When to replace the Weber grille

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
PoultryMan

When to replace the Weber grille

Post by PoultryMan » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:57 am

Well, my 2005 grill is making me think it could be time to lay her to rest. Its been great but it seems replacement parts are harder to get. Has anyone gone more than 15 with a Weber? When did you decide it was time?

galawdawg

Re: When to replace the WEBER grille

Post by galawdawg » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:45 am

I've got about thirty years on my Weber Genesis and still going strong. I've replaced each of these parts once in that time: the igniter, the porcelain grates (with stainless steel), the flavorizer bars (again with stainless steel), the warming rack and basket and the wood on the shelf and handle. Other than that, all original. It will probably outlast me.

You may want to check eBay for replacement parts if you haven't already.

Topic Author
PoultryMan

Post by PoultryMan » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:48 am

Ebay is a great idea, thanks!

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: When to replace the Weber grille

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:50 am

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (grill). I also fixed the capitalization "WEBER" to "Weber".
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:53 am

My Weber from 1997 is still going strong. Had to replace grates and flavorizer bars a couple of times. Perhaps a few other small parts as well. Still has the quick release propane connection, which makes it harder to find places that can fill the tank. I've been thinking of replacing the regulator for that reason (plus I suspect a slow leak in the line, but we turn off the gas between grilling sessions). It will not be joining us on our next move.

zlandar

Post by zlandar » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:06 am

I have a Genesis from 2011 and have replaced the burners, flavorizer bars (aftermarket), and ignition assembly. Replaced the porcelain enabled grill plates with stainless steel. Still works.

it's a big metal box with replaceable parts. Unless you need a bigger/smaller grill or you can buy a new Weber at a steep discount I would stick with what you have.

Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:36 am

At my final gig before retiring, a local hardware store, we sold a crap-load of Webers every year.

The biggest reason given for replacing a Weber, was----- I just want a new one.
The second biggest reason was---- I am giving one of my kids who just got a house the old one.

These are also the reasons, the Weber reps said were found to be the biggest reason.

Which one is it?

galawdawg

Post by galawdawg » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:20 am

PoultryMan wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:48 am
If you look for stainless steel replacement parts for the grill, flavorizer bars and such, you'll get many, many more years from those than the porcelain-enameled versions.

And based upon your avatar, I thought you might enjoy seeing my hens...

...they are only for eggs, not for the Weber! :beer

SimplicityNow

Post by SimplicityNow » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:36 am

I owned a Genesis for over 12 years and can't remember why but I replaced it with a Summit. That was about 16 years ago.

Other than replacing the grates and the hose/regulator and the wheels it has been low maintenance and works well.

Now if the covers would last more then a few years.....

flarf

Post by flarf » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:29 pm

Not sure about the kettle grills, but the Genesis gas grills are substantially flimsier now than they were 15 years ago, with a lot more stamped metal parts in the frame. The country of origin for at least some models has also changed over that time as well.

I just bought a ~2005 Genesis for $150 that is in perfect shape -- saving money over a new model at $700 was nice, but my primary motivation was the quality. There are plenty of websites that carry the original Weber replacement parts (grillparts.com, etc.), as well as companies that make their own aftermarket parts -- things like Flavorizer bars are easy to replicate.

rxtra8

Post by rxtra8 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:10 pm

My Webber Genesis is from 2003. I just replaced the burner tubes, flavorizer bars and igniter...works great again. I only had two functional burner tubes for a couple of years ( the middle one had corroded too badly to use unless I wanted a bonfire) and now it is so efficient again that I have to relearn how to cook on the thing...really heats up!

I got replacement parts on Amazon...the real stuff.
“The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.” | — Robertson Davies

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:10 pm

flarf wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:29 pm
Not sure about the kettle grills, but the Genesis gas grills are substantially flimsier now than they were 15 years ago, with a lot more stamped metal parts in the frame. The country of origin for at least some models has also changed over that time as well.

I just bought a ~2005 Genesis for $150 that is in perfect shape -- saving money over a new model at $700 was nice, but my primary motivation was the quality. There are plenty of websites that carry the original Weber replacement parts (grillparts.com, etc.), as well as companies that make their own aftermarket parts -- things like Flavorizer bars are easy to replicate.
Quality doesn't seem like it's as good as before, and changing out one part at a time isn't difficult, but if many parts need replacing, it can get expensive and time consuming. I'm probably approaching 10 years on my last generation Genesis with controls taking up space on the side table. The burners are getting uneven (I just cleaned them out and they're working better), so I'm hesitant to do a big overhaul vs just getting a new one. I'm leaning towards the latter, but I think I can get a few more seasons out of it.

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:22 pm

Shocking news, most made in China these days. Still have great customer service.

Topic Author
PoultryMan

Post by PoultryMan » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:14 pm

galawdawg wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:20 am
PoultryMan wrote:
If you look for stainless steel replacement parts for the grill, flavorizer bars and such, you'll get many, many more years from those than the porcelain-enameled versions.

Nice!

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:32 pm

galawdawg wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:20 am
PoultryMan wrote:

Beautiful color array. What coloreggs do you get?

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:56 pm

I used to live in the Pacific Northwest and my Webers typically lasted 7 years. I could have limped them along longer but they were getting pretty ratty looking and I had usually changed the grates out a couple of times.

I now live in the Desert Southwest and my 7-year-old Weber is not showing it's age at all. I really need to clean the inside and have replaced the grates once but otherwise it's in great shape.

I have always kept my Webers covered in both places but have found higher quality covers (classic accessories on Amazon) since being in our current location. I think had I used them in the PNW my grilles may have lasted longer there.
Have a plan, stay the course, and simplify. And while you're at it, ignore the noise!

galawdawg

Post by galawdawg » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:01 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:32 pm
Beautiful color array. What coloreggs do you get?
All brown. Five of the hens lay large eggs, one lays extra large.

galawdawg

Post by galawdawg » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:04 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:56 pm
I used to live in the Pacific Northwest and my Webers typically lasted 7 years. I could have limped them along longer but they were getting pretty ratty looking and I had usually changed the grates out a couple of times.

I now live in the Desert Southwest and my 7-year-old Weber is not showing it's age at all. I really need to clean the inside and have replaced the grates once but otherwise it's in great shape.

I have always kept my Webers covered in both places but have found higher quality covers (classic accessories on Amazon) since being in our current location. I think had I used them in the PNW my grilles may have lasted longer there.
I have read that covering your grill in locations with high humidity or rainfall is often not recommended as covers tend to trap moisture and condensation and result in rust and corrosion. I have never covered my grill and I am in Georgia. Lots of summer humidity.

poker27

Post by poker27 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:27 pm

I continually hear that Weber grills last and last. I’m 8+ years on a $300 grill in the Midwest (snow and heat, no cover) and I haven’t replaced a single part. I typically replace my propane 2-3x a year, so I use it often. I’m all about paying for quality, but Weber might not be worth the $. Just my .02

DarkNyte

Post by DarkNyte » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:36 pm

Have you looked at this website to see if they have the parts you need?

https://www.grillparts.com/weber/

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:46 pm

poker27 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:27 pm
I continually hear that Weber grills last and last. I’m 8+ years on a $300 grill in the Midwest (snow and heat, no cover) and I haven’t replaced a single part. I typically replace my propane 2-3x a year, so I use it often. I’m all about paying for quality, but Weber might not be worth the $. Just my .02
I have a Weber, and while it's the best grill I've ever had, all my other grills were bottom tier junk. I agree it's not necessary to have a Weber to get a middle tier grill. And really, that's all you need to have a decent ownership experience.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:26 pm

Dang I can't get more than 2 years out of a grill, Weber or otherwise. But my old lady won't ever clean it after she uses it so it just burns up hotter next time and wears out quicker. That's why we never spend more than a couple hundred bucks for each new grill.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:32 pm

toofache32 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:26 pm
Dang I can't get more than 2 years out of a grill, Weber or otherwise. But my old lady won't ever clean it after she uses it so it just burns up hotter next time and wears out quicker. That's why we never spend more than a couple hundred bucks for each new grill.
I burn mine off for about 20 minutes after each time I grill. It typically goes up to about 650 degrees. I pay for the propane, but the grill is basically self-cleaning.
Have a plan, stay the course, and simplify. And while you're at it, ignore the noise!