New laptop/desktop for [Work From Home]?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
unstoppable

New laptop/desktop for [Work From Home]?

Post by unstoppable » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:31 am

As I’m now working from home (WFH) for the last weeks and potentially more to come, I’m looking for a new setup.

I’m currently using an Acer C270 chromebook (11.6 in) that I got a while back for $100 refurbed. It’s fine for emails and some Zoom calls, but in week 4 of using it I’m just finding it a bit less than what I need as I need to work with Excel and PowerPoint. The substitutes it has just take too long and finding the 2GB lagging when I have a ton of web tabs open. I’m finding it’s now hurting my overall productivity, as I also have a harder time typing fast on it.

To be honest my home setup hasn’t mattered in a while as I have a great work desktop with dual screens, and after 10 hours there I usually just transition to my iPhone for any further browsing or things I need to check/look up.

I’ve been out of the PC (not an apple guy other than phone) game for a while.

I’m not sure what’s considered good or not good but I’ve noticed that not many are buying desktops anymore. It seems a lot of people buy laptops and then plug in a second monitor, keyboard and mouse. Not really sure the benefit or not.

Does anyone have any laptops or desktops they recommend? Or specific specs for chip/ram/screen size? Not sure what the ideal size is for a laptop or even a regular monitor. I have a 40% off coupon code for Dell, so looking on their site now.

Thanks in advance.

gabbar

Re: New laptop/desktop for WFH?

Post by gabbar » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:05 am

In the same boat as you. I would like to know how you got the 40% off coupon :mrgreen:

I was looking at a thinkpad but 40% off can change my mind to a Dell XPS 13/15.

mancich

Post by mancich » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:24 am

Google Dell Refurbished (not Dell Outlet). These are computers coming off business lease, and include well-built tanks like the Latitude laptop. Sometimes you can get them for as little as $250, with 8gig RAM or more and a core i5 or i7 processor.

teCh0010

Re: New laptop/desktop for [Work From Home]?

Post by teCh0010 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:18 am

I used to work for Dell, my company laptop was an XPS13. It’s a great laptop (one of the best windows laptops on the market), but I would definitely need an external monitor for full time use at home. 13in monitor just isn’t enough screen real estate.

I have a 34in curved widescreen Dell monitor that I plug my current work laptop (MacBook Pro touchbar) into. I keep a keyboard and mouse plugged into the monitor, so the one usb-c cable from the monitor to my laptop does everything. Charges laptop, carries usb, carries video. If you get a laptop with USB-C I highly recommend a USB-C monitor that effectively has a docking station built in.

ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:22 am

unstoppable wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:31 am
As I’m now working from home (WFH) for the last weeks and potentially more to come, I’m looking for a new setup.

I’m currently using an Acer C270 chromebook (11.6 in) that I got a while back for $100 refurbed. It’s fine for emails and some Zoom calls, but in week 4 of using it I’m just finding it a bit less than what I need as I need to work with Excel and PowerPoint. The substitutes it has just take too long and finding the 2GB lagging when I have a ton of web tabs open. I’m finding it’s now hurting my overall productivity, as I also have a harder time typing fast on it.

To be honest my home setup hasn’t mattered in a while as I have a great work desktop with dual screens, and after 10 hours there I usually just transition to my iPhone for any further browsing or things I need to check/look up.

I’ve been out of the PC (not an apple guy other than phone) game for a while.

I’m not sure what’s considered good or not good but I’ve noticed that not many are buying desktops anymore. It seems a lot of people buy laptops and then plug in a second monitor, keyboard and mouse. Not really sure the benefit or not.

Does anyone have any laptops or desktops they recommend? Or specific specs for chip/ram/screen size? Not sure what the ideal size is for a laptop or even a regular monitor. I have a 40% off coupon code for Dell, so looking on their site now.

Thanks in advance.
Does your employer allow you to access work systems from a personal laptop? If so that seems unusual.

Would your employer provide you with a work-issued laptop?

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:22 am

If you want something lightweight, can turn on and off almost instantaneously, can run Office suites, and not a chromebook; you might consider a Microsoft Office Pro. Costco usually has the Pro7 with type cover and stylus on sale for about $800.

TravelforFun

Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:22 am

Another vote for Dell XPS 13.

It's not perfect (odd videocam position for the refurb model I bought), but it's simply awesome in function, form, aesthetics - you name it. Best laptop I've experienced, like it better than my Macbook Pro work/company laptop.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:42 am

Dell Windows xps, also see if you can get the Microsoft home use program. Can't go wrong with that setup.

hudson

Maybe this?

Post by hudson » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:25 am

I'd get a Dell with Win 10 Pro with a minimum of 8GB Memory, 500GB hard drive, and a good processor.
I'd buy a big monitor separately. This Dell has only one HDMI port for a monitor. It has some other monitor options...If you need two big monitors, let me know....and I'll check further.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/de ... 70-desktop

The one above would work for me....again, this doesn't have a monitor...is the price out of line?

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:43 am

unstoppable wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:31 am
Or specific specs for chip/ram/screen size? Not sure what the ideal size is for a laptop or even a regular monitor.
For things like spreadsheets and powerpoint the processor does not matter a lot if you are buying a new computer any of them should be fine. For things like Photoshop and games it does.

I would not go below 8 GB for the memory.

A solid state drive will make a lot of difference and would be pretty much a must for me if I was buying a new computer.

For a desktop I would not get a monitor smaller than 21 inches. If you get one that is too large then it might not fit on your desk well. Some are widescreen. The monitor will have a native or maximum resolution so check if you computer will support it. If you get some huge monitor or a widescreen monitor it is possible that your computer might not support that resolution without mapping pixels which would not look as good. Be sure that the type of connections the monitor has matches what your computer has. If you buy a bundle then all these should be OK.

barreg

Post by barreg » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:46 am

If you get a laptop with USB-C, this is a great little USB-C hub that I use, connected to 2 external monitors.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0841T9KC9

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:58 am

Bad news: pretty much all the affordable laptops are sold out or on backorder because of a combination of people needing them to work from home and supply disruptions. You may want to check Amazon (or set a Camelcamelcamel alert) for something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Display-Gra ... 07RF1XD36/. You would add 4 GB of RAM, ideally, but it has an SSD and a much better screen (in-plane switching or IPS) than most laptops in this price range. It has come back into stock occasionally but doesn't stay in stock for long.

An alternative, if you can work with a desktop, would be to buy a refurbished one off eBay or similar. I've had good experiences with the Lenovo ThinkCentre Tiny. These are very small but reasonably powerful, and good ones go for $200-$250 (I would recommend one with a 6th-gen Core i5, since that gets you a quad-core processor). Here's an example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LENOVO-ThinkCe ... 3847504630

BTW don't expect real big savings from that 40% off coupon. I'm guessing it's for Dell's business division. The coupons are for a percentage off the list price. They always have a sale for 35% off list without any coupon. You're not getting an XPS 13 for $600, in other words.

beastykato

Post by beastykato » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:11 am

The Dell Refurbished site is a great site to look. However, they are super overpriced unless you use the coupon. If you get the coupons you are getting an OK deal and you're getting it direct from Dell so there is a little comfort there, You can definitely find the same machines on eBay for less though, but you do have to find good sellers. So, it's often just worth the little bit extra to avoid the hassle of private sellers.

Regardless of what's bought I recommend buying a $20-30 120GB SSD to throw in as an operating system drive in addition to the hard drive that comes with them. It makes the system multiple times faster for general use.

Those Dell's you are looking at are all very good and business oriented as you said. I am personally on a Dell Precision M4800 right now and they are listed under the "workstation" section if they have any in stock. They are big honking laptops but they are as fast as a desktop. Mine personally is a i7 quad-core with hyperthreading, 16GB of RAM, and a dedicated GPU. The deals aren't quite as good as they were due to the current conditions though. You used to be able to get this laptop with a 50% coupon for $280, but if you don't mind the laptop being large and heavy these are great because they have proper cooling fans and rugged build quality. My 100lb dog frequently plops down on it when I sit it on the couch or floor and it survives him lol.

Slickdeals.net is also a great place to look for sales on electronics, although many options there are more consumer grade and easier to break.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:13 am

squirm wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:42 am
Dell Windows xps, also see if you can get the Microsoft home use program. Can't go wrong with that setup.
I'm not sure what "Dell Windows xps" means. Dell PCs pretty much all run Windows, and they have several desktop and laptop models under the XPS brand. And the Home Use program is pretty worthless now, instead of a permanent Office Professional license for $10 you get 30% off Office 365 subscription. You can do better than that at Costco or (when on sale) Amazon.
Last edited by 02nz on Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:14 am

gabbar wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:05 am
In the same boat as you. I would like to know how you got the 40% off coupon :mrgreen:

See my comment above about the coupon.

Topic Author
unstoppable

Post by unstoppable » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:36 pm

gabbar wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:05 am

It’s actually for the DellRefurbished products. Here’s the link with codes:

https://m.bensbargains.com/bargain/45-o ... 99-694047/

Topic Author
unstoppable

Post by unstoppable » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:03 pm

I have an old Dell Inspiron 1750 at my parent’s house. Anyone have any experience with that laptop? Might pick it up tomorrow.

swordandscales

Post by swordandscales » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:13 pm

There is no better value laptop than a refurbished MacBook Air for general productivity work. It will last you so many years compared to nearly any other laptop.

If you’re open to a desktop, then I’d say there are innumerable options.
Discipline is freedom. | -Jocko Willink

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:33 pm

I literally just got this yesterday:

Dell Latitude 12 7000 Series (E7250) $409.00
Subtotal $409.00
Shipping & Handling $0.00
Discount (45% off Dell Laptops /Desktops (excl. Clearance) - 45TECHBAR4U) -$184.05
Total $224.95

It's a refurbished 2015 ultrabook with an i5, 8gb ram and 128 SSD. It's the minimum requirements I would recommend anyone buy except for the i5. I think an i3 processor will work just fine as well. I chose this model because it's a business laptop known to be a little more rugged than home use laptops which is important since it's 5 years old. It comes with Windows 8 but anything with windows XP and up can still be upgraded to windows 10 for free. It's also 12.5" and I really wanted a small laptop. The 14" and 15" can also be had for nearly the same price and same configuration.

My planned use for it is for my 3rd grade daughter for distance learning. Then it becomes DW's for general web browsing, Word, Excel, and Youtube. That's why I wanted it small and light. If my daughter complains, I'll just hook it up to an external monitor.

ubermax

Post by ubermax » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:28 am

We've had very good experience with 14" Lenovo ThinkPad laptops , have had three to date and are planning to get the T14s in May ( it's anticipated launch date ) .

dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:33 am

02nz wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:13 am
squirm wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:42 am
the Home Use program is pretty worthless now, instead of a permanent Office Professional license for $10 you get 30% off Office 365 subscription. You can do better than that at Costco or (when on sale) Amazon.
Yeah its a real shame what happened with HUP. Loved being able to get legit (and not like the "legit" licenses on eBay) copies of Office for $10.

LibreOffice isn't acceptable for some of us.

Topic Author
unstoppable

Post by unstoppable » Mon May 04, 2020 9:07 pm

With approval from our CEO, I took a nice getaway into the office today. Just the two of us with lots of social distancing. Maybe 50 ft between us. It was glorious change of pace. Might do it one more day this week. Never thought I’d be so happy to drive to the office and sit at my desk!

Anyways I was able to pull a screen grab of my computer there (2014 model) and performs very well for everything I do. Very quick at all tasks I use. It makes me think that many overbuy hardcore for their simple uses. I do email, spreadsheet, video calls, PowerPoint, and lots and lots of chrome browser tabs.

Here’s my setup: Image

Anyone know of any laptop models that meet/slightly exceed this? I’m guessing 14-15” inch would be the most ideal? I am using Win7 but I realize that might not be available.

Momus

Post by Momus » Tue May 05, 2020 3:48 am

unstoppable wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:07 pm
With approval from our CEO, I took a nice getaway into the office today. Just the two of us with lots of social distancing. Maybe 50 ft between us. It was glorious change of pace. Might do it one more day this week. Never thought I’d be so happy to drive to the office and sit at my desk!

Anyways I was able to pull a screen grab of my computer there (2014 model) and performs very well for everything I do. Very quick at all tasks I use. It makes me think that many overbuy hardcore for their simple uses. I do email, spreadsheet, video calls, PowerPoint, and lots and lots of chrome browser tabs.

Anyone know of any laptop models that meet/slightly exceed this? I’m guessing 14-15” inch would be the most ideal? I am using Win7 but I realize that might not be available.
This computer has no ssd drive with 4.9 score. Quite bad actually. Please switch to ssd. Get 3x more speed.

Any laptop $400 with 8GB RAM, plus SSD drive will be an upgrade for you.

tev9876

Post by tev9876 » Tue May 05, 2020 5:16 am

Will your company allow you to take your work desktop home? The dual monitors is probably the biggest component of the increased productivity.

I know our IT group was configuring desktops so that those users could work from home when this all started. I believe it just required installing VPN software and maybe a wireless card/dongle for those that didn't have wired access. We have gone to Google for most applications so any computer or Chromebook can be used for most things. Excel still beats Google Sheets in performance on complicated spreadsheets so that is one thing I have on my work laptop but not my personal computers.

mouses

Post by mouses » Tue May 05, 2020 7:25 am

ubermax wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:28 am
We've had very good experience with 14" Lenovo ThinkPad laptops , have had three to date and are planning to get the T14s in May ( it's anticipated launch date ) .
I used to use HP laptops, but the Lenovos I changed to are much more rugged and long lasting. I would not buy an HP again.

hudson

Post by hudson » Tue May 05, 2020 7:35 am

unstoppable wrote:

unstoppable,
How much do you want to spend?

nordsteve

Post by nordsteve » Tue May 05, 2020 7:52 am

We have the XPS that others have mentioned at home and I really like it.

Another option is a recent T series ThinkPad. Something like this is a tank and would handle your workload really well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223998209352

hdcd

Post by hdcd » Tue May 05, 2020 11:09 am

Not a Dell but have been using a Levono X1 Carbon ("14 ) for a couple of years and have been super happy. Keyboard is fantastic!

My work requires me to be on call 24x7 so I bought another laptop as a backup and decided I wanted a bigger screen. So checking the specs I got the LG Gram 17" and it also is a fantastic laptop. Super light.

Bought both at Costco because of the prices and return policies.

One thing I do not like about LG is you have to use a special function key to change the volume and it's a reach to do it with one hand. From what I've read, there is a workaround for other LG models but not this one.

Which one do I like better? Really can't say.. both work really well for me and I switch between the two daily.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue May 05, 2020 11:24 am

If I wanted a setup that I didn't have to pack in my backpack to move around, I'd do what my 2 kids have done. I'd build a tower and have a desktop machine.

Why?

Some background, my older son built his almost 9 years ago. An oversized tower with all initial components selected to be easily upgraded. He was building a gaming setup and has run a 3 monitor sim racing setup with wheel, pedals, shifter and even taken camera input using some facial recognition software to move what's on the screen to where your head is pointed. In any case, a lot has changed in near a decade and every need for an upgrade is easily and cheaply purchased. Whether a graphics card or new ECU, or going to an SSD, the changes are very easy and quick with this big, empty looking box. With a laptop, it's rocket science in my HP to change out a fan. So even now, 9 years later, with upgrades along the way, his setup does everything from games to running finite element analysis of buildings during an earthquake (his senior thesis). Monitors are dirt cheap. Heck....I scrap electronics and can't sell a decent flat screen for $5. Really....I've tried. Keyboards are worthless as are mice. So the tower is where the money is. Anyways, that's my take and what I'd do.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Tue May 05, 2020 11:29 am

Many of the lighter laptops may not include an ethernet port. If your work from home may require taking credit card numbers from clients/customers, be aware that for PCI compliance, there may be requirements to use an ethernet connection rather than WiFi.

If the ethernet connection is required and the laptop does not have a built-in ethernet port, there are USB ethernet adapters available to give your laptop an ethernet port.
Wiki

02nz

Post by 02nz » Tue May 05, 2020 11:44 am

Momus wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:48 am
unstoppable wrote:

This computer has no ssd drive with 4.9 score. Quite bad actually. Please switch to ssd. Get 3x more speed.

Not necessarily re: the work computer not having an SSD. The overall score is simply the lowest of the sub-scores. Most computers have integrated graphics, and that's usually the lowest-scoring component, which determines the overall score.

Because of the demand from WFH and supply disruptions, there are no decent $400 laptops right now that are consistently available.

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Tue May 05, 2020 12:10 pm

Laptops have not gotten significantly faster/better in the last several years. That means a 3-year old laptop coming off a lease is probably going to be fine. Others on BH have recommended the Dell Refurbished site: https://www.dellrefurbished.com/. I have not used it myself.

I do note that today on dellrefurbished you could buy a used Windows 8.1 laptop with 8 GB memory, an i5 processor, and a 256 GB SSD for $329.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Tue May 05, 2020 1:55 pm

gtd98765 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:10 pm
Laptops have not gotten significantly faster/better in the last several years. That means a 3-year old laptop coming off a lease is probably going to be fine. Others on BH have recommended the Dell Refurbished site: https://www.dellrefurbished.com/. I have not used it myself.

I do note that today on dellrefurbished you could buy a used Windows 8.1 laptop with 8 GB memory, an i5 processor, and a 256 GB SSD for $329.
No experience with Dell Refurbished, but it seems prices are high unless you use a 40% or higher coupon, which seem to come around pretty often. The good thing is they sell machines designed for businesses (e.g., Latitude laptops), which are generally better built than their consumer laptops. A downside is that these often have crappy screens (low-resolution and TN, instead of IPS), as the bean-counters simply order whatever is cheapest. The corporate laptops to be easily serviceable and upgrade, so even if they don't come with an SSD it should be relatively easy to upgrade yourself.

Windows 8.1 (or even 7 or 8) is not a problem, it can still be upgraded for free to Windows 10.

knightrider

Post by knightrider » Tue May 05, 2020 3:52 pm

My 2 cents is buy something that supports dual monitors. RAM can always be cheaply upgraded if needed. I use a "HP Stream Mini Desktop". You can find them on ebay for under $100. I upgraded the RAM from 2GB to 6GB.

Also the raspberry pi 4 supports dual monitors as well. I think that costs around $50.

Momus

Post by Momus » Tue May 05, 2020 6:45 pm

02nz wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:44 am
Momus wrote:
unstoppable wrote:

Not necessarily re: the work computer not having an SSD. The overall score is simply the lowest of the sub-scores. Most computers have integrated graphics, and that's usually the lowest-scoring component, which determines the overall score.

Because of the demand from WFH and supply disruptions, there are no decent $400 laptops right now that are consistently available.
100% no ssd. I have an old 2010 laptop with a score less than 5 and it went up to 6.2 after upgrading to SSD.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Tue May 05, 2020 7:14 pm

Momus wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:45 pm
02nz wrote:
Momus wrote:
unstoppable wrote:

100% no ssd. I have an old 2010 laptop with a score less than 5 and it went up to 6.2 after upgrading to SSD.
Not sure why you continue to insist on this when a simple Google search will tell you how the Windows Experience Index actually works. See for example: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/check-win ... indows-10/. ("Your Windows Experience Index value comes from your lowest performing piece of hardware." Or from the horse's mouth: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/exper ... verviewtab. ("The base score is equal to the lowest of the sub scores and is not an average of the sub scores.")

In your case the storage sub-score was the lowest component sub-score, and the upgrade to SSD raised that score. 6.2 is not a composite, average, or weighted score. It was simply the lowest sub-score. That's just how the Windows Experience Index works.

The OP's work computer may well have an SSD that scores 6.0, CPU 6.3, RAM 6.5, but a graphics card at 4.9, which would be perfectly normal for integrated graphics. Then the overall score will only be 4.9 regardless of how high the other components score.

Look, I totally agree that an SSD makes a huge difference for the responsiveness of a computer, it's much more important than CPU speed. But your understanding of how WEI works is incorrect, and for that matter Microsoft has largely gotten rid of this tool.

Topic Author
unstoppable

Post by unstoppable » Tue May 05, 2020 8:51 pm

hudson wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 7:35 am
unstoppable wrote:

unstoppable,
How much do you want to spend?
$300-500ish? I’d be willing to go a drop higher if needed, but seems there’s a ton in the $400-500 sweet spot. The machine I’m using at work still feels fast/adequate for me. 🤷🏻‍♂️

02nz

Post by 02nz » Tue May 05, 2020 11:22 pm

unstoppable wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:51 pm
$300-500ish? I’d be willing to go a drop higher if needed, but seems there’s a ton in the $400-500 sweet spot. The machine I’m using at work still feels fast/adequate for me. 🤷🏻‍♂️
3 months ago, sure. Now, not so much. As I wrote above, decent laptops under $500 are very hard to find right now, because there are many like you and the supply has also been disrupted by the pandemic.

I don't think you'll be able to find easily a laptop with SSD, 8GB RAM, and IPS display (what I consider the minimum acceptable specs) for much under $600 right now. If you do, grab it because it will go out of stock.

Momus

Post by Momus » Wed May 06, 2020 3:59 am

02nz wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 7:14 pm
Momus wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:45 pm
02nz wrote:
Momus wrote:
unstoppable wrote:

Not sure why you continue to insist on this when a simple Google search will tell you how the Windows Experience Index actually works. See for example: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/check-win ... indows-10/. ("Your Windows Experience Index value comes from your lowest performing piece of hardware." Or from the horse's mouth: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/exper ... verviewtab. ("The base score is equal to the lowest of the sub scores and is not an average of the sub scores.")

In your case the storage sub-score was the lowest component sub-score, and the upgrade to SSD raised that score. 6.2 is not a composite, average, or weighted score. It was simply the lowest sub-score. That's just how the Windows Experience Index works.

The OP's work computer may well have an SSD that scores 6.0, CPU 6.3, RAM 6.5, but a graphics card at 4.9, which would be perfectly normal for integrated graphics. Then the overall score will only be 4.9 regardless of how high the other components score.

Look, I totally agree that an SSD makes a huge difference for the responsiveness of a computer, it's much more important than CPU speed. But your understanding of how WEI works is incorrect, and for that matter Microsoft has largely gotten rid of this tool.
$10 bet. OP doesn't have SSD. I don't care much about your write up. OP can say it.

Momus

Post by Momus » Wed May 06, 2020 4:00 am

02nz wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:22 pm
unstoppable wrote:
3 months ago, sure. Now, not so much. As I wrote above, decent laptops under $500 are very hard to find right now, because there are many like you and the supply has also been disrupted by the pandemic.

I don't think you'll be able to find easily a laptop with SSD, 8GB RAM, and IPS display (what I consider the minimum acceptable specs) for much under $600 right now. If you do, grab it because it will go out of stock.
Decent laptop. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vega-HDMI-72 ... /909076408

hudson

Post by hudson » Wed May 06, 2020 5:44 am

unstoppable wrote:

Momus machines hit what looks to be the target. I doubt if you could go wrong with those.
I've bought hundreds of Dells through the years, so I like them. I like their service and support. Other companies are comparable. This one is over $500. Dell probably has a less expensive model.

It has a 30 day trial for Microsoft Office. Then, you'll have to buy it. I personally use Microsoft Office 365 home at $100 per year. That deal is no different than for any other laptop. Many are good at using the many available free office-like products; I never made the switch.

Here's the link; when you click on specifications, scroll up not down to see the specs. You can customize it.
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-la ... es_section.

I can spec out some other machines...

If I'm just browsing the internet, give me an IPAD. If I'm typing something or working on a "project" give me a desktop with a wireless keyboard and mouse.

Topic Author
unstoppable

Post by unstoppable » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:43 am

I’m somehow still using my 11” Chromebook on the couch since I’m going into the office a few days a week too but still want a real computer.

Any thoughts on this deal? I was only looking at Intel machines previously so not sure if this is a good one?

https://slickdeals.net/f/14106770-acer- ... =frontpage

hudson

Post by hudson » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:18 am

unstoppable wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:43 am
I’m somehow still using my 11” Chromebook on the couch since I’m going into the office a few days a week too but still want a real computer.

Any thoughts on this deal? I was only looking at Intel machines previously so not sure if this is a good one?

unstoppable,
It looks ok to me.
I usually buy Dell because of the support....but that would likely work.

johnny

Post by johnny » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:40 am

unstoppable wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:43 am

May I suggest an Asus? I recently purchased one for DW at a little over $500. I've owned Acer and Asus previously and I think the build quality of Asus is generally better. Try to find a model that a year or so old as it is likely to be discounted.

Topic Author
unstoppable

Post by unstoppable » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:05 pm

I think after a ton of paralysis in the analysis ...

I’ve found one I really like (love lightweight):

Acer Swift 3 Thin & Light Laptop, 14" Full HD IPS, AMD Ryzen 7 4700U Octa-Core Processor with Radeon Graphics, 8GB LPDDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, WiFi 6, Backlit Keyboard, Fingerprint Reader, SF314-42-R9YN https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086KKKT15/re ... -Eb5BGQ9N5

Thoughts on this one and price?

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:17 pm

unstoppable wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:05 pm

Acer Swift 3 Thin & Light Laptop, 14" Full HD IPS, AMD Ryzen 7 4700U Octa-Core Processor with Radeon Graphics, 8GB LPDDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, WiFi 6, Backlit Keyboard, Fingerprint Reader, SF314-42-R9YN https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086KKKT15/re ... -Eb5BGQ9N5

Seems like a good choice. But if you want a bigger screen (at the cost of a little bit more weight - 3.66 lbs), this Lenovo IdeaPad 5 is excellent. Using it now. https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/ ... 56-Screen/, $520. I think for WFH the bigger display is worthwhile; you need to decide how much you value the portability vs larger display.

Slightly slower processor (but still very fast six-core Ryzen 4500U; with typical WFH tasks you'll never notice any difference) and half the storage capacity. Outstanding battery life - I'm getting 8-12 hours.

I wrote up detailed impressions on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDLaptops/com ... eneraluse/
Last edited by 02nz on Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

hudson

Post by hudson » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:39 am

unstoppable,
Your choice looks good. 02NZ's Lenovo also looks good except that it's got a smaller SSD hard drive...and a larger monitor.
If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with 02NZ's lower priced Lenovo if I didn't need the hard drive space.

bryansmile

Post by bryansmile » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:52 am

unstoppable wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:05 pm

Folks, what about this one compared to the Acer above? Thanks.
https://www.costco.com/.product.100575638.html

Costco PCs come with additional warranty.

sixtoeight

Post by sixtoeight » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:52 am

When it comes to work laptops, Dell and Lenovo own the universe. I've used both Thinkpad and XPS for work and personal use. I have a Thinkpad T series that I bought back in 2012 and it's still running perfectly fine on the latest version of Windows 10. It's a little on the heavy/thick side but has lasted me 8 years and going strong. For work, I have the Dell Latitude. Fine computer but had to have parts replaced over time such as the battery.

For some reason, and maybe this is due to personal bias, I prefer Thinkpads. They are built to last and are very solid work laptops and desktop stations.