LDC projector for outdoor use?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
texasdiver

LDC projector for outdoor use?

Post by texasdiver » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:34 pm

I'd like to buy some sort of LDC projector for infrequent outdoor use.

Apparently the musical Hamilton is coming to streaming in a week and my daughter wants to have an outdoor screening party with a few friends socially distanced on our patio with an outdoor screen. If it works we'll maybe do the same with some more movies this summer. Also we have some family reunions coming up (postponed from this year until next year) which will be held in outdoor tents and I'd like to do some digital family slide shows outdoors.

So looking for some recommendations of LCD projectors (and screens) that will lend themselves to that use. Doesn't have to be the latest and greatest, just something that will cast a nice clear bright picture and interface with digital sources like an Apple TV or Google Chromecast for content.

Preferably a projector designed for portable use with a carrying case, etc. As opposed to one that is designed more for permanent fixed-mount use.

Anyone here have any suggestions? My initial searches are turning up projectors like the Viewsonic PX700HD which is within the price range I'm comfortable with.

David Jay

Re: LDC projector for outdoor use?

Post by David Jay » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:39 pm

For use in the evening or are you hoping for daylight viewing?

Literally, anything will work at night. Daylight will be expensive and perhaps not LCD, maybe DLP.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

mw1739

Post by mw1739 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:01 pm

Posted similar topic recently:

viewtopic.php?t=316406

I was encouraged to pickup a refurbished Epson. I also posted the link to the projector and screen I picked up. Used them a few times with no complaints.

Topic Author
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:31 pm

David Jay wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:39 pm
For use in the evening or are you hoping for daylight viewing?

Literally, anything will work at night. Daylight will be expensive and perhaps not LCD, maybe DLP.
Nighttime only. We have a very dark back yard with no ambient streetlights or anything.

Topic Author
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:59 pm

mw1739 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:01 pm
Posted similar topic recently:

viewtopic.php?t=316406

I was encouraged to pickup a refurbished Epson. I also posted the link to the projector and screen I picked up. Used them a few times with no complaints.
Thanks for the link. I ordered the refurbished Epson 760HD which is in 720p resolution. Decided that I don't need the latest and greatest high definition picture for displaying on an outdoor screen. Just something bright. It's mostly going to be teenagers.

For the screen, all the fancy folding frame outdoor screens are all sold out and on back-order so I decided to buy one of these folding cloth screens https://www.amazon.com/120-Inch-Widescr ... 07DMKZW4G/ and then just build a PVC frame to suspend it within using bungee material. There are a ton of examples of DIY screens and frames made out of PVC online.

I figure I'll just drag the Apple TV outside to hook directly to the projector and the sound bar speaker which I can pair with the apple TV.