E-Bike recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
retired recently

Re: E-Bike recommendations

Post by retired recently » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:55 am

I am interested in getting an ebike and have seen some "good deals" on Alibaba/Aliexpress that I am thinking of buying.

My son and I are trying to build a solar power system for an off-grid camper and I took the plunge to buy the fuel cells from Alibaba...I do not have them yet but hopefully they arrive safely and are in good condition, if so I might buy the ebike...

finfire

Post by finfire » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:08 am

I installed a 750W ebike kit from bafang. Worked out well but it was a lot of work...I learned a lot about bikes tho.....fun project!!

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:27 am

gubernaculum wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:49 am
I purchased Riese and Muller supercharger2, high speed(cuts off at 28 mph). Love it. It has TWO 500 Kw batteries and my range is 100 miles. Love riding it. It works well in the hills of San Francisco.
Yikes!!
$ 7,500
Incredible bike.
Here's a link to the website for more info on it:
https://propelbikes.com/product/riese-m ... rcharger2/

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:29 am

finfire wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:08 am
I installed a 750W ebike kit from bafang. Worked out well but it was a lot of work...I learned a lot about bikes tho.....fun project!!
My son installed that same kit on both he and his wife's "manual" bicycles and it transformed thier riding experiences.
They live in a hilly neighborhood.

finfire

Post by finfire » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:33 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:29 am
finfire wrote:
My son installed that same kit on both he and his wife's "manual" bicycles and it transformed thier riding experiences.
They live in a hilly neighborhood.

Yeah, I live in a very hot area. I've started to leave the car at home a lot more. I plan on getting a trailer for the bike soon to broaden the opportunities.

batpot

Post by batpot » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:53 pm

converted mine, and my wife's bike with ebikeling front hub kits.

Pull a Burley and a cargo trailer with them. Older kid now big enough for a half bike.
It's a big load (>=300 pounds total when both kids are in the Burley). Melted one of the connectors going up a ~16 degree grade.
Watching the amp draw closely now.

We rarely take the car out on the weekends anymore.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:36 pm

corn18 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:05 pm
Sandtrap, check this hitch out:

https://youtu.be/QxYSNMtlAyg

https://motowus.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwoaz3 ... FLEALw_wcB

Even old farts like us could load a bike on that.
Very cool. Even I could use oneof those.

Jason95357

Post by Jason95357 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:05 pm

I highly recommend you save your pennies and subscribe to Crazy Lenny's E-Bikes mailing list. He has the largest ebike retail business in the US. A number of times a year he will have sales, often as much as 50% off of "older" models. Not to mention he has a huge selection of ebikes. Just factor the shipping delivery into the cost, and you'll still come out well ahead of buying local at MSRP.

https://www.crazylennysebikes.com/specials/ - click on the "Receive Email Updates" so you can know whenever they add specials or have specific sales.

One consideration is how you'll get it serviced. I've had my ebike for 4 years now and two years needed some major work done under warranty. I needed the head unit replaced (don't recall the bug), the disc brakes replaced and a good tune-up as I ride it to-from work daily and had over 2,000 miles on it. I found the disc brakes and ordered them ahead of time, but had to go 90 miles to San Jose to get service. They did a great job, and I had another reason to go to San Jose twice, so it was a wash, but it did cause a considerably delay in getting service completed.

A word of caution: right now is probably the worst time to buy. Everyone's stock is low, folks really don't have an incentive to have sales because everything bike-related is flying off the shelf due to COVID-19 and folks wanting something to do for exercise. I've been looking for a bit, as I also want to get a cruiser for my wife. I'm kicking myself that I didn't get one last December when the sales were on and he wanted to clear out his inventory.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:52 pm

gubernaculum wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:49 am
I purchased Riese and Muller supercharger2, high speed(cuts off at 28 mph). Love it. It has TWO 500 Kw batteries and my range is 100 miles. Love riding it. It works well in the hills of San Francisco.
Darn nice bike! :beer
One cannot enlighten the unconscious.

Arlington2019

Post by Arlington2019 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:53 pm

I never thought I would say this, but I have joined the electric bicycle club. I am going to Orthopedics later this week to see what they have to say about my bilateral hip pain and reduced range of motion. I have dug out the PT exercises from my bout of trochanteric bursitis a few years back, and have been doing them for about 2.5 weeks. I have not noticed a change in the pain level or range of motion, which does not fill me with optimism.

I was casting about for what I could do to stay on a bicycle, if I could not throw a leg over my road/MTB bikes. Some people in my informal riding club have gone over to the electric side, and they seem pretty happy about it. I was looking to see if I could find an electric bike with a low stand over height so I could mount and dismount it, and one made with quality components that I could work on myself, at least the mechanical components.

So to make a long story short, I have just came back from the electric bike shop, where I ordered a Tern HSD 8si: https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/bikes/471/hsd-s8i It has a Shimano Nexus 8 internal hub, A Gates carbon belt, Magura hydraulic brakes, a Bosch Active Line Plus mid-drive motor and 400 watt Bosch power pack. It can carry an impressive amount of cargo, which bodes well for riding to the local microbreweries and coming home with a crate of beer. I took a test ride and was amazed how the motor even on the low setting made the hills so much easier. And I was pleased to discover that I could turn off the power altogether and just pedal normally. On the flat in top gear and power off, I was easily cruising at 20 mph plus. Years ago, I had a Dahon Mu XL with a Nexus 8 internal hub, and I loved that bike. The fact that the Tern is a cousin of the Dahon with a similar layout sealed the deal. The price is the same as a decent used car, but it should last me for a long time.

So come what may, I will have at least one bicycle I can ride. I will be diligent with any recommendations for treatment, etc., but if I still can't get on the motorcycle by this time next year, I might as well sell it.

White Oak

Post by White Oak » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:37 pm

finfire wrote:
Do you mind me asking where you bought it and about how much you paid for the kit?

I've been thinking about buying a BBSHD, but have been dragging my feet as it is certainly not inexpensive.

ThreeBears

Post by ThreeBears » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:41 pm

WhyNotUs wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:33 pm
Really comes down to what battery you bought for your S. My wife goes 40 miles and still has charge left on hers.
ThreeBears wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:53 pm
I bought a Juiced CrossCurrent S2. My only regret is not getting the CrossCurrent X.... mainly for the bigger battery (but it would have been around $700 more... not trivial).

I'd like to average around 20 MPH for 20 miles (10 miles each way). I'm fine with pedaling.

However, with the CCS2, the battery gets pretty low towards the way back home. The bigger battery likely would have solved that.

Anyways, it's still a solid bike.
Also comes down to which level you ride the bike on eco, 1, 2, or 3. On level 3, the battery drains pretty quickly.

fsrph

Re: For Trails?? E-Bike recommendations

Post by fsrph » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:16 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:16 am
corn18 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:14 pm
Will you be riding while she is hiking? If so, I don't think an ebike will work for that. Not sure how you could go slow enough to stay upright at walking speed.

Or did you mean that you would both be riding?
Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:51 pm
Both riding.
Easy forest trails, National Park, Federal Land, State, BLM. Open country. No rocks.
Lighter the better Ebike so it's not hard to transport.
Small fat tires are okay.
corn18 wrote:
Gotcha. I am really new to the ebike scene, so can't make a recommendation from what I have been researching. The beach cruisers I looked at would all do what you want, but they are really heavy. 55+ lbs with the battery. Unless you run out of battery, the weight isn't really a factor for riding. But it is if you have to push them around or lift them. Then they are beasts. And I would NOT get the beach cruiser format for trails. Just not as maneuverable as I would want for a real trail.

Both of our local bike shops have a LOT of ebikes to look at. Maybe you could see if your local bike shop has them and they can at least give you an idea of what is available. Also, check and see if a Pedego dealer is nearby. The reason I chose Pedego is the 5 year warranty and they have a pretty strong dealer network. That means I can get things fixed pretty easily. They aren't the cheapest ebikes, though.

Ebikes are bicycles up to Class 2, which 99% of ebikes are. Class 1 is assist only, so you have to pedal to make it go. Class 2 means it has pedal assist, but also has a throttle which means you don't have to pedal to make it go and the max speed is 20.4 mph. Both of ours have throttles and we wouldn't be without them. They work great for getting going and going up hills. As for parks letting them in as bikes, it varies by park, from what I have been told. We can turn off the throttle to go class 1 and we can turn off the battery to turn it into a bike. But it's a beast of a bike.
Huge thanks.
This is great information and advice.
DW and I recently "handed down" our bikes to our son and his family. They were still fairly new with a lot of extras but I was no longer able to pedal for too far. Bummers because we enjoyed that.

Trail Rules and Regulations for E-Bikes?

This E-Bike thing would allow us to enjoy biking again.
I would think that most folks would not complain if a couple of white hair seniors were chugging along some wide open trails with compact E-bikes. But, nowadays, who knows. My son converted both of our "hand me down" bikes to E-bikes and uses them everywhere with his family.

Types of E-Bike Class 1 VS Class 2?

Given your description, they would have to be a Class 2.
Will DW be able to pedal to her athletic heart's content on a Class 2?
Will I be able to throttle to my hearts content on a Class 2 without pedaling?

Transporting an E-Bike?

We used to have a very nice receiver hitch mounted double bike rack that we used in the back of my pickup truck. I imagine since the E-bike is so heavy that there might be other ways of transporting them. It's not like I can chuck them into the back of the truck like the "Hulk".
Any ideas?

This is a great thread for E-Bike Newbies.

Super Thanks!
mahalo
Duplicate
Last edited by fsrph on Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:20 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:16 am
corn18 wrote:
Will you be riding while she is hiking? If so, I don't think an ebike will work for that. Not sure how you could go slow enough to stay upright at walking speed.

Or did you mean that you would both be riding?
Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:51 pm
Both riding.
Easy forest trails, National Park, Federal Land, State, BLM. Open country. No rocks.
Lighter the better Ebike so it's not hard to transport.
Small fat tires are okay.
corn18 wrote:
Gotcha. I am really new to the ebike scene, so can't make a recommendation from what I have been researching. The beach cruisers I looked at would all do what you want, but they are really heavy. 55+ lbs with the battery. Unless you run out of battery, the weight isn't really a factor for riding. But it is if you have to push them around or lift them. Then they are beasts. And I would NOT get the beach cruiser format for trails. Just not as maneuverable as I would want for a real trail.

Both of our local bike shops have a LOT of ebikes to look at. Maybe you could see if your local bike shop has them and they can at least give you an idea of what is available. Also, check and see if a Pedego dealer is nearby. The reason I chose Pedego is the 5 year warranty and they have a pretty strong dealer network. That means I can get things fixed pretty easily. They aren't the cheapest ebikes, though.

Ebikes are bicycles up to Class 2, which 99% of ebikes are. Class 1 is assist only, so you have to pedal to make it go. Class 2 means it has pedal assist, but also has a throttle which means you don't have to pedal to make it go and the max speed is 20.4 mph. Both of ours have throttles and we wouldn't be without them. They work great for getting going and going up hills. As for parks letting them in as bikes, it varies by park, from what I have been told. We can turn off the throttle to go class 1 and we can turn off the battery to turn it into a bike. But it's a beast of a bike.
Huge thanks.
This is great information and advice.
DW and I recently "handed down" our bikes to our son and his family. They were still fairly new with a lot of extras but I was no longer able to pedal for too far. Bummers because we enjoyed that.

Trail Rules and Regulations for E-Bikes?

This E-Bike thing would allow us to enjoy biking again.
I would think that most folks would not complain if a couple of white hair seniors were chugging along some wide open trails with compact E-bikes. But, nowadays, who knows. My son converted both of our "hand me down" bikes to E-bikes and uses them everywhere with his family.

Types of E-Bike Class 1 VS Class 2?

Given your description, they would have to be a Class 2.
Will DW be able to pedal to her athletic heart's content on a Class 2?
Will I be able to throttle to my hearts content on a Class 2 without pedaling?

Transporting an E-Bike?

We used to have a very nice receiver hitch mounted double bike rack that we used in the back of my pickup truck. I imagine since the E-bike is so heavy that there might be other ways of transporting them. It's not like I can chuck them into the back of the truck like the "Hulk".
Any ideas?

This is a great thread for E-Bike Newbies.

Super Thanks!
mahalo
Sandtrap,

I'm interested in e-bikes too but I'm far from an expert. I'm sure you'll find places to ride trails with a class 2 e-bike, but some areas do restrict them. It looks like Acadia National Park (Maine) is only allowing Class 1 e-bikes on their carriage roads. Still allow any class of e-bike wherever cars are allowed. If your going out of town to ride just check for any e-bike restrictions.

https://www.nps.gov/articles/ebikes-prohibited.htm

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:33 pm

fsrph wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:20 pm
Sandtrap,

I'm interested in e-bikes too but I'm far from an expert. I'm sure you'll find places to ride trails with a class 2 e-bike, but some areas do restrict them. It looks like Acadia National Park (Maine) is only allowing Class 1 e-bikes on their carriage roads. Still allow any class of e-bike wherever cars are allowed. If your going out of town to ride just check for any e-bike restrictions.

https://www.nps.gov/articles/ebikes-prohibited.htm

Francis
Huge thanks!

I wonder what the nature or "vibe" of the areas that strictly enforce these small distinctions. Are the differences that obvious given the plethora of eBikes? Perhaps places to avoid entirely anyway?

I guess as long as one is "pedaling" then all is okay.

Thanks again for the link and heads up.
Aloha

csm

Post by csm » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:21 pm

We bought e-bikes a couple of months ago and absolutely love them. We wanted them to take on the back of our small motorhome so we had transport at national and state parks or even to bike into a town to do grocery shopping if leaving the RV parked.

We bought the Rad Rover Step-Thru (fat tire) bikes for $1499 each and the Thule EasyFold XT hitch bike rack and could not be more pleased. While we have the ramp to roll the bikes up on the hitch, after doing it the first time, we don't use the ramp at all. Instead, my husband and I lift the bikes together (me at the front, him at the back). It is surprisingly simple and we've become very adept at the technique. (I'm a 63 year old wimp, not strong or athletic at all, and have no trouble lifting my end with him on the other side.) So for those riding together as a couple, rather than worry about one of you being able to lift a heavy bike and/or struggling with an awkward ramp, consider the method of lifting the bikes together. I highly recommend that specific Thule hitch as it is sturdy and can accommodate two heavy e-bikes.

We got the fat tire bikes so we could comfortably bike on gravel, sand and dirt trails as well as asphalt. We just returned from a six-week road trip where we biked along the Zion National Park Pa'rus trail and Scenic drive up to the Narrows (about 20 miles round trip biking from Watchman Campground + 2 mile hike); a 30 mile ride on a beautiful bike trail at Grand Teton NP to Jenny Lake and beyond; biked the entirety of the South Rim trail at sunset at Grand Canyon NP; biked from a campground in the hills of Monterey down to the Asilomar State beach and along the coast to the Monterey Aquarium and Cannery Row before returning uphill to the campground.

It was wonderful because we were better able to social distance as the trails took us further away from the congested scenic points (e.g. at Grand Canyon) and we did not need to try to park a vehicle at centralized parking lots nor share buses/shuttles with others (which weren't yet operating when we were there anyway). We took it slowly and carefully whenever we were near pedestrians and no one seemed to mind. On the contrary, we got a lot of positive comments and smiles and questions. At Zion, we saw others on Rad Power bikes with "rent me" stickers on them.

We've easily bicycled 30+ miles effortlessly and still had plenty of battery power remaining. They claim the battery is good for 25-45 miles depending on the amount of assist used. We always pedal but use the assist for hills or strong headwinds - Zion and Monterey were particularly hilly and windy and I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to climb steep hills. I totally identified with a previous poster who said he giggled like a girl - that was me as I raced straight uphill in Monterey - in first gear and assist 5 - afraid to stop or slow down lest I not be able to get started again. The throttle is brilliant for getting started when in a high gear or slightly uphill.

Ours are Class 2 and most national parks do allow them now wherever regular non-motorized bikes are permitted. I'm hoping Acadia may also allow them in future.