Best watch for $5,000+

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Hefph

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by Hefph » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:25 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:26 pm
sp0704 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:54 pm
With regard to holding value and overall robustness, nothing in that range will likely do better than a Rolex.
Oh I know, I love my Submariner. This won't be much of a thread if we just talk about Rolex though.

For me, aside from the three brands I mentioned, I'd love a Cartier Santos or JLC Reverso.
Completely Agree. I have always admired JLC, and should be acquiring a Cartier Santos large blue dial within the next year, to celebrate my daughters birth.

apex84

Post by apex84 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:17 pm

Yes. The ascendancy of Grand Seiko has been impressive. I remember when you had to order them from Japan. All of mine are still branded Seiko at the 12 and Grand Seiko at 6. I prefer that to the newer branding. I am looking forward to affordable pieces with the new movements (cal. 9SA5 and cal. 9RA5).
Independent George wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:53 pm
apex84 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:27 pm
mak1277 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:41 pm
Hopefully this gives the thread new life! Thanks.

Anyone have good recommendations for the $5k - 10k price range besides the usual suspects (Rolex, Omega, Grand Seiko)?
It's funny that Grand Seiko is considered one of the usual suspects. Traditionally that would have been Breitling, IWC, and Tag Heuer.
I've actually long preferred Grand Seiko to all of those brands; in terms of pure aesthetics, the only other comparable brand for me is JLC, and I still give Grand Seiko a slight edge. My only issue with them has been the lack of sub-40mm watches, and that finally seems to be changing.

Sadly, I'm holding off on any major purchases for the near future, but I'm really glad the industry seems to be moving away from the oversized watch trend of recent years.
Last edited by apex84 on Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Schlabba

Post by Schlabba » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:27 pm

I was considering the blue dial and black dial Omega Aqua Terra. I decided I like the blue more because with the order in for the Rolex Explorer 1 I shouldn't get a 2nd black dial watch.

But then I found out there is an Omega Aqua Terra with a green dial!

I don't even have my Explorer yet and I am already considering my 2nd watch :D
Secretly a dividend investor. Feel free to ask why.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:11 am

Schlabba wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:27 pm
I was considering the blue dial and black dial Omega Aqua Terra. I decided I like the blue more because with the order in for the Rolex Explorer 1 I shouldn't get a 2nd black dial watch.

But then I found out there is an Omega Aqua Terra with a green dial!

I don't even have my Explorer yet and I am already considering my 2nd watch :D
I have the previous generation blue dial, which I like. I have seen the green dial in a store and it's nice too!

cowdogman

Post by cowdogman » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:44 pm

I had a Rolex GMT II and Explorer. Never wore them. I'm pretty active and I found they just got in the way. The guy that bought them from me was very happy because they were essentially new.

My daily watch is the classic Timex Ironman, but I still have a couple nice watches--both are Sinns.

Sinns are made in Germany and I have heard Sinn watches referred to as the daily watches that watch collectors wear. You can spend $5,000+ on a Sinn but I have the Sinn 856 UTC Black Tegimented on Bracelet (which is my favorite watch of all time) and the Sinn 556 I on Strap--about $2,500 and $1,100 respectively.

bowtie

Post by bowtie » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:37 pm

I have a question.
First, I have looked at the Nomos Glasshute (but I think I forgot how to spell that, perhaps...) and I've looked at JLC just for fun (the former would be much less expensive, a selling point for me, and I like them). And, I like some Hamilton and Seiko, but they're usually quartz.
But when you are thinking of watches like you have mentioned here, are they always mechanical or automatic movement? Nomos G. is all mechanical, I believe, where you wind it yourself. There are some quartz in JLC, but do people who look at these watches pass over the quartz battery option as not being part of the skilled watch making? Is it only automatic or mechanical for these?
I can't tell from the posts themselves.
As for price, I think even a quartz JLC is about 5K if I recall correctly.

Ralph Furley

Post by Ralph Furley » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:53 pm

eye.surgeon wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:53 pm
I'd suggest a classic Casio G-Shock 5600 and $4950 in your pocket. And this coming from a guy wearing a submariner that I wish I'd never bought.
I love my G-Shock. And I never seem to wear my nice watch.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:22 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:41 pm
Can you really get a new Breguet Type XX for under $10k? I don't like buying other people's used stuff, so I'm only interested in new watches.
Ugh, paying retail for any of these watches doesn't make sense to me. The markup is ridiculous... on an already ridiculously expensive watch!

I'm all about maintaining value and the only way to do this would be through the pre-owned route.

Watches that I like (non-Rolex):
Cartier: Tank Louis Cartier in gold
Omega: Speedmaster
Patek Phillipe: Calatrava (with or without complication) and any Nautilus in steel (hah, good luck finding one for < $30k)
A. Lange Sohne: Lange 1 and 1815.
Panerai: Just pick one.
JLC: Any Reverso

Its funny, but the pre-owned market also includes the most expensive and most sought after watches on the planet. Case-in-point: Paul Newman's Rolex Daytona which was auctioned off for $17.8 Million. A watch so famous that every other Daytona with a similar dial regularly auctions off for way way over $100k

Schlabba

Post by Schlabba » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:56 am

cowdogman wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:44 pm
I had a Rolex GMT II and Explorer. Never wore them. I'm pretty active and I found they just got in the way. The guy that bought them from me was very happy because they were essentially new.

My daily watch is the classic Timex Ironman, but I still have a couple nice watches--both are Sinns.

Sinns are made in Germany and I have heard Sinn watches referred to as the daily watches that watch collectors wear. You can spend $5,000+ on a Sinn but I have the Sinn 856 UTC Black Tegimented on Bracelet (which is my favorite watch of all time) and the Sinn 556 I on Strap--about $2,500 and $1,100 respectively.
I am planning on wearing my Explorer every day (With the exception of traveling to certain places). There is even a term for not wearing your watches, you would call them ‘Safequeen’. I don’t want any safequeens in my collection.

sean.mcgrath

Post by sean.mcgrath » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:01 am

Oddibe McDowell wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:54 am
Not sure how closely you look at this stuff - but assuming your Sub is a stainless steel one (either 5 digit for 6 digit) - chances are you can sell it now for at least as much if not more than you paid for it. Might be an option if you are wanting to unload it / get your money back. That's one nice thing about a Rolex - they tend to hold their value.
Slightly off-topic, but any suggestions on the most efficient way to sell one?

corn18

Post by corn18 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:32 am

sean.mcgrath wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:01 am
Oddibe McDowell wrote:
Not sure how closely you look at this stuff - but assuming your Sub is a stainless steel one (either 5 digit for 6 digit) - chances are you can sell it now for at least as much if not more than you paid for it. Might be an option if you are wanting to unload it / get your money back. That's one nice thing about a Rolex - they tend to hold their value.
Ebay. They know what they are looking for and in this market, get the best price. But you pay some to Ebay.

The best place to get a fair price from buyers who know what they are looking at, try TRF (rolexforums.com). You can also post up a couple of pics and they will help you get an idea of what it's worth. Be prepared for candor, though. They are sticklers for condition.
Don't do something, just stand there!

sean.mcgrath

Post by sean.mcgrath » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:58 am

corn18 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:32 am
Ebay. They know what they are looking for and in this market, get the best price. But you pay some to Ebay.

The best place to get a fair price from buyers who know what they are looking at, try TRF (rolexforums.com). You can also post up a couple of pics and they will help you get an idea of what it's worth. Be prepared for candor, though. They are sticklers for condition.
Thank you, that is good to know. My Submariner has never been out of the box, band has not even been adjusted. Only condition issue I guess would be engraving on the back. No plans to sell ATM, but it seems like something I should do eventually. I am pretty much the antithesis of a watch person -- really dislike wearing bands/rings/necklaces. Before my Garmin last Christmas, I hadn't worn a watch in thirty years. :mrgreen:

cowdogman

Post by cowdogman » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:58 am

Schlabba wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:56 am
cowdogman wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:44 pm

I am planning on wearing my Explorer every day (With the exception of traveling to certain places). There is even a term for not wearing your watches, you would call them ‘Safequeen’. I don’t want any safequeens in my collection.
Yes, the guy I sold them to called them "desk queens". I agree with you, which is why I sold them. It felt silly having $12,000 of watches sitting in my desk, which is in fact where I kept them.

I know $2,000 (which is what paid for my Sinn 856 several years ago) is still a lot of money, but I don't worry about banging it up like I did the Rolexes. Plus it is a lot less clunky.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:00 am

sp0704 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:54 pm
With regard to holding value and overall robustness, nothing in that range will likely do better than a Rolex.
and methinks that after the every day Rolex a Patek is in order for dress up.

cowdogman

Post by cowdogman » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:03 am

corn18 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:32 am
sean.mcgrath wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:01 am
Oddibe McDowell wrote:

I used rolexforums.com to sell mine a few (more?) years ago--posted a lot of high quality photos. I think I got about what I paid for them. If you can't find a local buyer, the tricky part is determining who goes first. My buyer sent me the money before I sent him the watches. He was extremely happy when he got them.

sean.mcgrath

Post by sean.mcgrath » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:09 am

cowdogman wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:03 am
I used rolexforums.com to sell mine a few (more?) years ago--posted a lot of high quality photos. I think I got about what I paid for them. If you can't find a local buyer, the tricky part is determining who goes first. My buyer sent me the money before I sent him the watches. He was extremely happy when he got them.
Ah, that is indeed a good point.

No plans to sell ATM, but it is something I've had in the back of my mind.

cowdogman

Post by cowdogman » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:05 pm

Ralph Furley wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:53 pm
eye.surgeon wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:53 pm
I'd suggest a classic Casio G-Shock 5600 and $4950 in your pocket. And this coming from a guy wearing a submariner that I wish I'd never bought.
I love my G-Shock. And I never seem to wear my nice watch.
I feel the same about my Timex Ironman (about $40 on Amazon). I've replaced the battery twice and the band once and so I have about $60 into it so far. It's still going strong

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:15 am

StormShadow wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:22 pm
I'm all about maintaining value and the only way to do this would be through the pre-owned route.
Yeah, if you're interested in value retention I agree, grey market or pre-owned is key. For me, I only buy what I like and I don't care about value retention (because I am never going to sell my watches). I want pristine, new, no other owners.

Coburn

Post by Coburn » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:05 am

mak1277 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:15 am
For me, I only buy what I like and I don't care about value retention (because I am never going to sell my watches). I want pristine, new, no other owners.
Which is fine until your fancy turns to watches that aren't in production any longer...then you're in a bind.

I've a mechanical alarm watch which is a fave which of course, isn't available as new or even NOS now.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:50 am

Coburn wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:05 am
mak1277 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:15 am
For me, I only buy what I like and I don't care about value retention (because I am never going to sell my watches). I want pristine, new, no other owners.
Which is fine until your fancy turns to watches that aren't in production any longer...then you're in a bind.

I've a mechanical alarm watch which is a fave which of course, isn't available as new or even NOS now.
I've long ago accepted I'll never be able to own every watch that tickles my fancy, so it's actually pretty helpful to be able to ignore anything that isn't currently produced.

mayday23

Post by mayday23 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:06 am

I have a Rolex GMT 116710BLNR - aka batman. I don't think anyone's every said anything about it that wasn't a rolex wearer or a watch person.

Next on my list is the 'Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe.' Great history - "Blancpain has never made a quartz watch and never will."

peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:26 am

I'm not a stylish person so I'll say...

Apple Watch for $399 + $4601 of AAPL?

Unless you're really set up investmentwise.

desiderium

Post by desiderium » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:38 am

I am looking at a JLC master control date, steel. The older ones are 37mm, which I like (and now several under 5k). They seem stylish and elegant, while understated. Kind of a poorer version of, say a Vacheron Patrimony, which is outside my range.

One concern is that clothing styles, including my own professional dress, have moved away from suits and ties. I worry that the look is too formal for jeans and a polo or even a T-shirt.

Schlabba

Post by Schlabba » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:33 pm

desiderium wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:38 am
I am looking at a JLC master control date, steel. The older ones are 37mm, which I like (and now several under 5k). They seem stylish and elegant, while understated. Kind of a poorer version of, say a Vacheron Patrimony, which is outside my range.

One concern is that clothing styles, including my own professional dress, have moved away from suits and ties. I worry that the look is too formal for jeans and a polo or even a T-shirt.
I would say a JLC master control can work with a T-shirt. The "regular" master control with the numerals, maybe not the ultra thin perhaps.
Putting it on a (light)brown leather strap actually dresses it down as compared to blue or black leather. If you wear it with a brown belt and brown shoes you can absolutely make it work.

I am also think that a too formal watch is not as much of a problem compared to too formal clothing with a casual watch. Try it on some time!

Works just fine :happy https://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t ... 3766&rid=0

desiderium

Post by desiderium » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:40 pm

Schlabba wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:33 pm
desiderium wrote:

I would say a JLC master control can work with a T-shirt. The "regular" master control with the numerals, maybe not the ultra thin perhaps.
Putting it on a (light)brown leather strap actually dresses it down as compared to blue or black leather. If you wear it with a brown belt and brown shoes you can absolutely make it work.

I am also think that a too formal watch is not as much of a problem compared to too formal clothing with a casual watch. Try it on some time!

Works just fine :happy https://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t ... 3766&rid=0
Thanks, the linked picture is helpful, and I was also thinking the brown strap would dress it down. One can easily switch back and forth to change up the look. I have tried these on. It's the endless decision making that is half the fun. It drives my wife crazy.

tvubpwcisla

Post by tvubpwcisla » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:47 pm

The Rolex DateJust gets my vote. It is slightly higher than $5K but worth every penny!

- Launched in 1945 as first watch with an automatic date movement.
- Has a fantastic price point offering huge value for the money.
- Looks very similar to the most expensive and iconic Rolex ever sold in the Day-Date.
- Has a Date with Cyclops.
- Can be worn in all occasions.
- Slim profile is extremely comfortable.
- The 904L Stainless Steel is the strongest and most durable metal choice for a Rolex watch.
- It has one of the most reliable and accurate movements every produced by Rolex.
- The DJ movement is one of the more simple movements to work on and very easy to service.
- Adjustable Oysterclasp bracelet is strong and has an Easylink 5 mm comfort extension.
- Time and Date are easy to read.
- Low key.
- Great luminescence.
- Fantastic customization with many dial choices and colors available.
- Lots of polish on the watch including the band center links which gives it a beautiful shine and appearance.
- Will stand the test of time, last forever, and will always be in style.
- A Smooth Bezel and Oyster Bracelet configuration make it easy to remove light scratches with a Cap Cod Polishing cloth.
Stay invested my friends.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:56 pm

desiderium wrote:

I saw an older gentleman not too long ago with a yellow gold Patek calatrava (basically the platonic ideal of a dress watch) ... and he was wearing it with flip flops, shorts and a polo. Looks just fine.

canderson

Post by canderson » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:58 pm

A friend is into high-end watches and we went to the Jacob & Co store last year and while not many you can find a few there around $7k.

They get my vote. Jacob & Co is amazing.

desiderium

Post by desiderium » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:07 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:56 pm
desiderium wrote:

I saw an older gentleman not too long ago with a yellow gold Patek calatrava (basically the platonic ideal of a dress watch) ... and he was wearing it with flip flops, shorts and a polo. Looks just fine.
Haha, I agree, best not to be doctrinaire about fashion. People do cultivate their own statements. In my area you will see retired navy chiefs sporting submariners--a great look that probably would not extend to the gold Patek.

supalong52

Post by supalong52 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:12 pm

I feel like people should post more pictures in threads like these! Saves us plebs from having to Google watch models.

Zombies

Post by Zombies » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:28 pm

Steel anything can be worn with anything. There used to be a distinction on bezel size for what you’re doing, but the whole world is casual now so all steel sizes are really fine for dressed up or dressed down in shorts and flip flops. I wear my nautilus with both a rare suit or jeans and a T.

Rubber bands are great for casual wear, but are a bit odd with nice clothes.

Gold / rose gold with leather looks a little weird when super casual, but is fine with jeans and a “nice” shirt (which could extend to a high quality plain T-shirt in a work setting). I tend to wear these types of watches with collared shirts, generally.

Gold with a gold bracelet is more rare these days, and I think that would be pretty odd in anything more casual than jeans.

Then break all these rules because do whatever you want! 99.9% of people don’t even recognize when a watch is a nice watch, and the rest are usually appreciative and friendly regardless of how you wear it, so the number of people that are “watch fashion police” is exceedingly small.

15202guy

Post by 15202guy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:30 am

Late to the thread, but this topic is of great interest to me as a semi-serious collector (and see handle!)

Someone had asked if you can get a trinity watch (VC, AP, PP) for under $10K. You can certainly get a well-sorted Calatrava for (just) under $10K if you're flexible on style and just a tiny bit patient...several are listed on Chrono24 right now, in fact. And nothing wrong with a Calatrava as an only watch. It should pair OK with most anything, although you obviously can't (shouldn't) wear it for water sports.

Everyone has his preference, but as someone who currently has a ~20 watch collection (Rolex on up), and has bought new and pre-owned, I'd really recommend the pre-owned route for most models, as long as you're careful and you know what you're looking for.

Steel Rolex watches are pretty out of control price-wise right now, especially the modern variants. An older one might be an OK deal, and would certainly be iconic for an only watch. But it's a Rolex -- and that's both a pro (good watch, classic styling, recognizable to most people) and a con (common place, cliche, and known to most people). If you prefer to have something unique, you may like a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Similar styling to a Rolex Sub, but I think that for < $10K you'd need to get a model on the sailcloth strap instead of the bracelet. Personally, I love the strap, but I am not sure I'd want it on an only watch. Panerai also has plenty of interesting options for < $10K, and the ability to swap straps so easily (and a huge aftermarket supply of straps) lets you totally change up the watch from day to day depending on your mood and the occasion (rubber to distressed tan to formal alligator black, etc.). And there are certainly LOTS of IWC available for < $10K. At least one variant of pretty much every significant style can be had at that price point. Arguably, pre-owned IWC is your absolute best value for something unique and respected by WIS. Tons of other good options, as has been mentioned upthread.

Just my $.02. Hope it helps.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:47 am

supalong52 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:12 pm
I feel like people should post more pictures in threads like these! Saves us plebs from having to Google watch models.
Is there a way to attach a file on BH? I've never been able to figure out how.

Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:03 am

Sorry, the site owners don't allow attachments. You'll need to upload the image to a file sharing site.

The wiki has helpful information: Posting images in the Bogleheads forum
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Coburn

Post by Coburn » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:58 am

supalong52 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:12 pm
Just as PP has their model classics and Rolex with their famed 'triple-6' ie. 16660 has theirs...the erudite WIS can spot their others. :wink:

You others will just have to fumble along. :P :wink:

I imagine car-buffs are equally the same.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:19 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:03 am
Sorry, the site owners don't allow attachments. You'll need to upload the image to a file sharing site.

The wiki has helpful information: Posting images in the Bogleheads forum
Thanks. Not worth the trouble.

mroe800

Post by mroe800 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:26 am

Coburn wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:20 pm
Both the Santos & Reverso fit my wrist like a glove. One of them will likely be my next watch. Either that or a vintage Datejust. Either that or a ALS 1815 up/down. Either that or... ha
Speaking of the Santos! The Santos-Dumont special editions appear to be available now.

Though speaking as a DJ36 owner, there's no reason to "practically" own much more than it. Though your proposition of an 1815 U/D is tantalizing.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:30 am

mroe800 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:26 am
Coburn wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:20 pm
Both the Santos & Reverso fit my wrist like a glove. One of them will likely be my next watch. Either that or a vintage Datejust. Either that or a ALS 1815 up/down. Either that or... ha
Speaking of the Santos! The Santos-Dumont special editions appear to be available now.

Though speaking as a DJ36 owner, there's no reason to "practically" own much more than it. Though your proposition of an 1815 U/D is tantalizing.
Hey that's my quote! :)

Personally I think the perfect two-watch collection would be a Sub or Explorer and an 1815 u/d. But I agree that a DJ is pretty tough to beat as an "only" watch.

mroe800

Post by mroe800 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:15 am

Bah, I knew I messed it up! Sorry about that.

I love the Explorer I, but for some reason I've passed on owning it. There's something about the current 39mm size of the 214270 that just doesn't work for me, even after they fixed the proportions of the hands and lumed the Arabic numeral. Actually, I ended up with a 16570 black dial in its stead for that spot in my collection.

apex84

Post by apex84 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:16 pm

It depends on the specific movement. JLC is mostly known for their mechanical movements. They made a Mecaquartz chronograph movement in the past that was excellent, it was a combination of a quartz movement with a mechanical chronograph. Outside of that, the quartz watches have the same design, case, dial, hand, and bracelet quality as their mechanical watches.

There are very high quality quartz movements that are thermocompensated (TC), making for greater accuracy than a standard quartz watch. These are widely available as Breitling Superquartz and Longines VHP. Grand Seiko makes a line of TC quartz movements as well. Citizen does too, but they're not generally sold in the US--you can buy them direct from Japan (these are found in the Chronomaster and "The Citizen" lines). The Certina DS-2 chronograph is another outstanding watch with a quartz movement (under $1k).
bowtie wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:37 pm
I have a question.
First, I have looked at the Nomos Glasshute (but I think I forgot how to spell that, perhaps...) and I've looked at JLC just for fun (the former would be much less expensive, a selling point for me, and I like them). And, I like some Hamilton and Seiko, but they're usually quartz.
But when you are thinking of watches like you have mentioned here, are they always mechanical or automatic movement? Nomos G. is all mechanical, I believe, where you wind it yourself. There are some quartz in JLC, but do people who look at these watches pass over the quartz battery option as not being part of the skilled watch making? Is it only automatic or mechanical for these?
I can't tell from the posts themselves.
As for price, I think even a quartz JLC is about 5K if I recall correctly.
Last edited by apex84 on Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apex84

Post by apex84 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:23 pm

The JLC can absolutely be worn with casual clothes. If you want a more casual looking watch from JLC, the Polaris line is their current offering. The Master Compressor line is available at great prices on the used market. You can find used VC for under $10k, especially if you look at the 15-25 year old pieces. Those models are currently bargain priced. They are smaller than new models and use excellent movements that pre-date the current in-house trend, but are new enough to offer reliable function and water resistance after a fresh service.
desiderium wrote:

Oddibe McDowell

Post by Oddibe McDowell » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:38 pm

mroe800 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:15 am

I love the Explorer I, but for some reason I've passed on owning it. There's something about the current 39mm size of the 214270 that just doesn't work for me, even after they fixed the proportions of the hands and lumed the Arabic numeral. Actually, I ended up with a 16570 black dial in its stead for that spot in my collection.
I love the Explorer I, but the 16570 black dial is a great choice. Very much under the radar.

bowtie

Post by bowtie » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:35 am

Thanks, Apex.

hunoraut

Post by hunoraut » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:39 am

apex84 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:17 pm
I've actually long preferred Grand Seiko to all of those brands; in terms of pure aesthetics, the only other comparable brand for me is JLC, and I still give Grand Seiko a slight edge. My only issue with them has been the lack of sub-40mm watches, and that finally seems to be changing.
I'm almost embarassed to recall the lengths I went to acquire a 39mm GS, limited edition and sold in Japan only. basically the watch flew around the world a few times, passed from stranger to stranger to old acquaintances to friends, with the money bouncing through a few intermediaries before the watch and I were both united.

totally worth it, and with the current pricing of GS, i think my own watch has appreciated by a few thousand $ since then :sharebeer

apex84

Post by apex84 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:55 pm

Nice, I think two of my GS are from Japan, but it was a transaction from one of the well known sellers. I think the post you've quoted is from Independent George, but I agree. In addition to diameter, the mechanical GS movements have tended to be thick. The 9F quartz makes for a slim watch of reasonable diameter. That might be finally changing with the new direct impulse cal. 9SA5. I'm looking forward to seeing that in less expensive watches.

https://www.grand-seiko.com/us-en/news/ ... 0200305-12
hunoraut wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:39 am
Independent George wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:17 pm
I'm almost embarassed to recall the lengths I went to acquire a 39mm GS, limited edition and sold in Japan only. basically the watch flew around the world a few times, passed from stranger to stranger to old acquaintances to friends, with the money bouncing through a few intermediaries before the watch and I were both united.

totally worth it, and with the current pricing of GS, i think my own watch has appreciated by a few thousand $ since then :sharebeer

mroe800

Post by mroe800 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:44 am

Oddibe McDowell wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:38 pm
mroe800 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:15 am

I love the Explorer I, but the 16570 black dial is a great choice. Very much under the radar.
I sometimes think a Polar would have been the better move.

CascadiaSoonish

Post by CascadiaSoonish » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:01 am

Never thought I'd drop serious money on a watch, but yesterday I just picked up my first fancy-pants piece. I like the backstory on the Omega Speedmaster so I got the Hesalite Pro. I found that the local AD I worked with was eventually able to match grey-market pricing after some back and forth on price -- so technically it's a >$5K retail watch bought new for <$5K if that disqualifies it from this thread. 8-)

My Apple Watch will now be my workout watch as I found it was useful for tracking activity and controlling music but not so great for just telling time due to the screen saver keeping the display off more often than I needed.

Don't know that I'll go further into the hobby until I see how much I enjoy having the nicer watch and have exceeded our savings/investment goals, though I do like the idea of having a second nice piece so each of my sons could eventually have a 'dad' watch. Might also be an excuse to head to Switzerland in a few years, not that it saves money to buy a watch there but it's just such an amazing place to visit.

desiderium

Post by desiderium » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:07 pm

apex84 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:23 pm
The JLC can absolutely be worn with casual clothes. If you want a more casual looking watch from JLC, the Polaris line is their current offering. The Master Compressor line is available at great prices on the used market. You can find used VC for under $10k, especially if you look at the 15-25 year old pieces. Those models are currently bargain priced. They are smaller than new models and use excellent movements that pre-date the current in-house trend, but are new enough to offer reliable function and water resistance after a fresh service.
desiderium wrote:

I agree either the JLC or VP can fit a casual look--I am still on the hunt. I wear an explorer I which also fits a summer look, but the bracelet is now too loose and I am waiting for the opportunity to visit the place to have it resized. Because I was impatient with all my dithering I bought a Hamilton automatic to have an easy casual option.

desiderium

Post by desiderium » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:12 pm

Zombies wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:28 pm
Steel anything can be worn with anything. There used to be a distinction on bezel size for what you’re doing, but the whole world is casual now so all steel sizes are really fine for dressed up or dressed down in shorts and flip flops. I wear my nautilus with both a rare suit or jeans and a T.

Rubber bands are great for casual wear, but are a bit odd with nice clothes.

Gold / rose gold with leather looks a little weird when super casual, but is fine with jeans and a “nice” shirt (which could extend to a high quality plain T-shirt in a work setting). I tend to wear these types of watches with collared shirts, generally.

Gold with a gold bracelet is more rare these days, and I think that would be pretty odd in anything more casual than jeans.

Then break all these rules because do whatever you want! 99.9% of people don’t even recognize when a watch is a nice watch, and the rest are usually appreciative and friendly regardless of how you wear it, so the number of people that are “watch fashion police” is exceedingly small.
Nice comments. Not concerned with fashion police, just nailing down my own preference