Smell from kitchen sink?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
AussieDad

Smell from kitchen sink?

Post by AussieDad » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:51 pm

Hopefully this is allowed. My wife put some raw chicken chunks in the garbage disposal by accident. It been a week or so and my sink smells like a sewer. The sink seems to drain fine. We've tried some tablets she had and putting some lemon in the disposal. Nothing seems to help. I'd rather not have to tear this apart, and definitely do not want to call a plumber over this. I'm not sure if the raw chicken has gotten lodged somewhere and it's rotting away or what. I think we are going to try to find some affresh, but I have my doubts about that. Any suggestions? Thanks

retiredjg

Re: Smell from kitchen sink?

Post by retiredjg » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:56 pm

The best disposal cleaner I know of is ice. I'd buy a bag of ice cubes and grind them. It takes awhile because the little ice chips will leave the disposal and gouge out the gunk in the pipes on the way down - might form an "ice dam" as it pushes on through. Probably add a lemon peel as well.

Good luck!

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:57 pm

When you say you put some lemon in the disposal, do you mean a lemon scent or an actual lemon? I have had some luck with actual lemon - rind and pulp - grind it up good. Ice cubes also seem to clear things out - dump a couple big handfuls down with the disposal running.

Mr.Chlorine

Post by Mr.Chlorine » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:59 pm

I've done baking soda and vinegar on a smelly garbage disposal before. It seemed to work fine and you can find videos with instructions all over.

If you believe there is actual food stuck, then I second trying ice first. You will need to dislodge the particles before sanitizing.

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:06 pm

retiredjg wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:56 pm
The best disposal cleaner I know of is ice. I'd buy a bag of ice cubes and grind them. It takes awhile because the little ice chips will leave the disposal and gouge out the gunk in the pipes on the way down - might form an "ice dam" as it pushes on through. Probably add a lemon peel as well.

Good luck!
I've done this, cleaned gunk under the rubber splash-guard with a toothbrush, and afterwards plugged the hole and filled the entire sink with water and unplugged it to flush it out.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:07 pm

Have you tried bleach? I've found that pouring a little bit in the sink and letting it sit in the p trap for half an hour or so works well for the occasional odor.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:08 pm

Cherry pits with water running work well to clean disposers. They do make a lot of noise though! It's the recommended method I read in my garbage disposer manual years ago.

JLJL

Post by JLJL » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:55 pm

hicabob wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:08 pm
Cherry pits with water running work well to clean disposers. They do make a lot of noise though! It's the recommended method I read in my garbage disposer manual years ago.
This is interesting, I've never heard of this.

OP,

#1) I keep a stylish painted mason jar of baking soda next to the hand and dish soap pumps on my sink (buy the large cereal box size quantity for only like $1 more than the small boxes of Arm & Hammer). A couple times a week just before I go to bed, I pour 1/4 cup or so into both drains (disposal side and drain side) and let it sit. It can just rinse the next day when the sink is used. This does a truly remarkable job of absorbing odors. I'll swear by it over anything else I've tried including whole chunks of citrus fruit, bleach, or baking soda/vinegar combo. I have a sensitive nose and go nuts when the sink stinks, so I'm confident in my recommendation.

#2) Disposal cleaning packs that you stick the full bag in, run a stream of water and run the disposal. These smell nice and you can see the foam expand into both sides of the sink, so you know it's getting into the whole works. Not as effective long-term as #1, but this is really satisfying and for me I do it "for good measure".

https://www.amazon.com/Glisten-Garbage- ... 4887&psc=1

#3) Manually clean out your P-trap.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:03 pm

hicabob wrote:
I just googled it and many manufacturers advise against "hard pits" so YMMV. The one that recommended it was a 20 year old "Insinkerator" which is still alive and kicking so it works well for me.

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:01 pm

Ice should do the trick. Also add some dishwasher powder to the disposal margarita!

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:57 pm

In my experience, it is helpful to let the water continue to run into the disposer for somewhere between a half and a full minute after turning-off the unit. This will help to wash and/or clean-out the disposer unit, while flushing food particles out of the unit and past the "p" trap.

Occasionally, it is also helpful to fill the sink to the very top with very hot water and then release it all at once----this a wonderful way of giving the drain system from the disposer a good flush.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan

JLJL

Post by JLJL » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:22 am

Housedoc wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:01 pm
Ice should do the trick. Also add some dishwasher powder to the disposal margarita!
I've gotta try this - sans umbrella. Wonder if the pods will work

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:34 am

Maybe follow some of the other suggestions with a big pot of boiling water.

MindBogler

Post by MindBogler » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:09 am

hicabob wrote:
Interesting. I accidentally put a cherry pit down the disposal once and it punctured a hole in the side of the unit. I wouldn't recommend this.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:18 am

JLJL wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:55 pm
hicabob wrote:
This is interesting, I've never heard of this.

OP,

#1) I keep a stylish painted mason jar of baking soda next to the hand and dish soap pumps on my sink (buy the large cereal box size quantity for only like $1 more than the small boxes of Arm & Hammer). A couple times a week just before I go to bed, I pour 1/4 cup or so into both drains (disposal side and drain side) and let it sit. It can just rinse the next day when the sink is used. This does a truly remarkable job of absorbing odors. I'll swear by it over anything else I've tried including whole chunks of citrus fruit, bleach, or baking soda/vinegar combo. I have a sensitive nose and go nuts when the sink stinks, so I'm confident in my recommendation.

#2) Disposal cleaning packs that you stick the full bag in, run a stream of water and run the disposal. These smell nice and you can see the foam expand into both sides of the sink, so you know it's getting into the whole works. Not as effective long-term as #1, but this is really satisfying and for me I do it "for good measure".

https://www.amazon.com/Glisten-Garbage- ... 4887&psc=1

#3) Manually clean out your P-trap.
I have used the disposal cleaning bags to great success.

Crawdad

Post by Crawdad » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:22 am

This happened to me.
I couldn't eliminate the smell.
Finally, I got brave, and stuck my hand in the disposal. Even with it unplugged, it is unnerving.
Low and behold. I found what was left of a dish rag - very stinky.
Who knows what you will find.
Everything is a gift. Be thankful.

mroe800

Post by mroe800 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:29 am

Mr.Chlorine wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:59 pm
I've done baking soda and vinegar on a smelly garbage disposal before.
You are combining a base and an acid, effectively neutralizing one other. You want to use either baking soda or vinegar, but not both together.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:32 am

Fun fact ... garbage disposals are illegal in Germany and very unusual in most European kitchens. People are expected to compost.

JLJL

Post by JLJL » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:06 am

mroe800 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:29 am
Mr.Chlorine wrote:
You are combining a base and an acid, effectively neutralizing one other. You want to use either baking soda or vinegar, but not both together.
But the fizzing is awesome

DeskJumper

Post by DeskJumper » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:40 am

The brand Glisten makes a foaming disposal cleaner that comes in a paper packet. You put the whole packet in the disposal with a slight flow of water running and it will grind it up and fill the whole unit with disinfecting foam. Emptying half a can of scrubbing bubbles foam in there may work well instead, as it disinfects and dissolves buildup that causes odors.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:32 pm

hicabob wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:32 am
Fun fact ... garbage disposals are illegal in Germany and very unusual in most European kitchens. People are expected to compost.
:thumbsup

btenny

Post by btenny » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:18 pm

You need to clean both sink drains. I bet you got some stuff lodged in the non-disposer side of the sink. Many times this second sink drain is lower than the main sink and has standing water and slime. I use fresh grapefruit to clean out my disposer and my side sinks drain. I cut them in quarters and juice them down each sink drain. Then I run really hot water into both sinks and then I grind up the rind in the disposer.

Good Luck.

Barcelonasteve

Post by Barcelonasteve » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:37 pm

If you have a discharge hose from a dishwasher connected to the disposal, check so make sure there’s nothing rotting in the valve and that the hose is properly suspended to avoid sitting water.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:00 pm

Some really nasty stuff can grow in the disposer itself. I put straight bleach down into mine and let it sit for 5 minutes. Keeps the stink from occurring. The under sides of rubber molding can look nasty, as I've pulled it out and looked. That's where my smell was coming from.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.

Mr.Chlorine

Post by Mr.Chlorine » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:13 am

mroe800 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:29 am
Mr.Chlorine wrote:
Good to know! I will have to try other methods next time. Thanks!