Mail receiving/Scanning services in March 2019?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
vu8

Mail receiving/Scanning services in March 2019?

Post by vu8 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:44 pm

Hi, what is the cheapest or very legit, mail receiving/scanning services as of March 2019? I'm trying to find a service that offers legitimate street address, not like "xxxx commercial drive, box 20"... And Earth class mail is a rip off, i'm looking for maybe 5-15 a month?

cap396

Re: Mail receiving/Scanning services in March 2019?

Post by cap396 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:21 pm

We use Escapee's mail service. It's probably not the cheapest, but we have been happy with it. You can call anytime and talk to a real person.

Topic Author
vu8

Post by vu8 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:26 pm

cap396 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:21 pm
We use Escapee's mail service. It's probably not the cheapest, but we have been happy with it. You can call anytime and talk to a real person.
The issue is that with escapee you get a mailbox, not a real street address, when you put it on your brokerage accounts they might ask you for a physical address?

cap396

Post by cap396 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:39 pm

Yeah, there is an issue with the Patriot Act requiring a physical address for financial institutions. But I believe Escapee's went to court and won the right for their address to be considered a physical address and not just a mailing address. The address you are given looks like a real address with an apartment number:

254 Rainbow Drive No. XXXXX

We have been using it for our Schwab account, Ally account, and our credit cards without a problem, although when we used this address with Ally they did request that we call them to verify our identity.

dcop

Post by dcop » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:41 pm

Even if you find one that will fool the brokerages, banks etc. they will figure it out eventually. There aren't many left they don't know about.

Topic Author
vu8

Post by vu8 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:44 pm

dcop wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:41 pm
Even if you find one that will fool the brokerages, banks etc. they will figure it out eventually. There aren't many left they don't know about.
Okay so if I would stay in Thailand for maybe a couple of years, what can I do to maintain a US address so my account won't be closed?

dcop

Post by dcop » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:54 pm

Fortunately I have a friend in Texas that lets me use his home address and it's a no state tax state so its a big win. That's one option if you're able to use a friend or relatives. Otherwise there are brokerages that have accounts for ex-pats, Schwab and Fidelity I believe do. It's all about if they are willing to do the paper work and procedures for the 'know you customer' law. Wells Fargo is one that wont. And For Credit Cards there are some CU's that offer them for Ex-Pats. Capital One didn't a last year but they might now. Best way to know is just contact the FI's and find out.

RMD3819

Post by RMD3819 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:48 pm

Don't overthink this.

We live and travel in our RV full time and use a mail forwarder in South Dakota called America's Mailbox. It provides a service similar to Escapees mentioned above.

There are thousands and thousands of folks using these services-RVvers, military, folks that live overseas or work on ships etc.

I have accounts with several of the well known institutions and the only one to flag this is was Ally. I just gave the address of a friend. They don't mail anything there if you have all your communications set for online delivery.

palanzo

Post by palanzo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:11 am

RMD3819 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:48 pm
Don't overthink this.

We live and travel in our RV full time and use a mail forwarder in South Dakota called America's Mailbox. It provides a service similar to Escapees mentioned above.

There are thousands and thousands of folks using these services-RVvers, military, folks that live overseas or work on ships etc.

I have accounts with several of the well known institutions and the only one to flag this is was Ally. I just gave the address of a friend. They don't mail anything there if you have all your communications set for online delivery.
Did you have any issues with Vanguard at America's Mailbox?

RMD3819

Post by RMD3819 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:48 am

palanzo wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:11 am
RMD3819 wrote:
Don't overthink this.

No problem with Vanguard or anyone else. Not a single piece of mail has been sent to the friend’s address.

Since this thread was made a few other institutions have asked about this. I can’t remember if Vanguard was one of them but if they asked I gave the friend’s address and that was the end of it.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:19 am

RMD3819 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:48 am
palanzo wrote:
RMD3819 wrote:
Don't overthink this.

No problem with Vanguard or anyone else. Not a single piece of mail has been sent to the friend’s address.

Since this thread was made a few other institutions have asked about this. I can’t remember if Vanguard was one of them but if they asked I gave the friend’s address and that was the end of it.
So to clarify, the bottom line is: no service works, you need an actual person with a physical address to cooperate.

dcop

Post by dcop » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:54 am

tibbitts wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:19 am

So to clarify, the bottom line is: no service works, you need an actual person with a physical address to cooperate.
Yes, per the 'know your customer' law.

palanzo

Post by palanzo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:03 pm

RMD3819 wrote:
palanzo wrote:
RMD3819 wrote:
Don't overthink this.

I agree that Ally does not mail anything. However Vanguard is different as they do mail various items and that causes problems.

palanzo

Post by palanzo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:05 pm

tibbitts wrote:
RMD3819 wrote:
palanzo wrote:
RMD3819 wrote:
Don't overthink this.

I think the various threads have shown that several services work very well. RVers use them all the time.

RMD3819

Post by RMD3819 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:08 pm

tibbitts wrote:
RMD3819 wrote:
palanzo wrote:
RMD3819 wrote:
Don't overthink this.

Yes that is the bottom line. The mail forwarders are flagged as “bulk addresses” or something like that and are rejected thus the need for a workaround.

I cannot remember the last I got paper mail from Vanguard.

palanzo

Post by palanzo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:00 pm

RMD3819 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:08 pm
tibbitts wrote:
RMD3819 wrote:
palanzo wrote:
RMD3819 wrote:
Don't overthink this.

Yes that is the bottom line. The mail forwarders are flagged as “bulk addresses” or something like that and are rejected thus the need for a workaround.

You would get paper mail from Vanguard any time you make an account change, for example.

palanzo

Post by palanzo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:05 pm

RMD3819 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:08 pm
tibbitts wrote:
RMD3819 wrote:
palanzo wrote:
RMD3819 wrote:
Don't overthink this.

The reputable mail handling companies are USPS Commercial Mail Receiving Agents. Bulk addresses sounds like a spammer. Even Vanguard is now using a Mail Handling Company.

https://www.swisspostsolutions.com/en/home

It's a bit rich of Vanguard to cause problems if one chooses to use a USPS Commercial Mail Receiving Agent when they themselves are doing the same thing.
Last edited by palanzo on Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

palanzo

Post by palanzo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:08 pm

Does anybody who uses a Mailing Handling service not encountered problems with Vanguard? I need to set this up in the next few months. Any tips would be appreciated.

RMD3819

Post by RMD3819 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:26 pm

palanzo wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:08 pm
Does anybody who uses a Mailing Handling service not encountered problems with Vanguard? I need to set this up in the next few months. Any tips would be appreciated.
I just looked at my Vanguard account.

They have two addresses: mailing and home. Both are set to my mail forwarding address. If they contact me about this I’ll use the friend’s address as my home so even if there is mail it will be sent to the (different) mailing address.

This has been around for awhile and debated in the RV forums and the collective solution is the one posted above.

What is your concern?

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:01 pm

RMD3819 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:26 pm
palanzo wrote:

They have two addresses: mailing and home. Both are set to my mail forwarding address. If they contact me about this I’ll use the friend’s address as my home so even if there is mail it will be sent to the (different) mailing address.

This has been around for awhile and debated in the RV forums and the collective solution is the one posted above.

What is your concern?
I think the issue is how to do this "collective solution"' without a friend.

palanzo

Post by palanzo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:05 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:01 pm
RMD3819 wrote:
palanzo wrote:

What is your concern?
I think the issue is how to do this "collective solution"' without a friend.
Exactly.

palanzo

Post by palanzo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:08 pm

RMD3819 wrote:
palanzo wrote:

What is your concern?
My concern is that if "no service works, you need an actual person with a physical address to cooperate." then why bother to use a mail service. In other threads people have posted that a mail service works well but you seem to think that "no service works".

RMD3819

Post by RMD3819 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:39 pm

palanzo wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:08 pm
RMD3819 wrote:
palanzo wrote:

What is your concern?
My concern is that if "no service works, you need an actual person with a physical address to cooperate." then why bother to use a mail service. In other threads people have posted that a mail service works well but you seem to think that "no service works".
The mail forwarding services work to receive and forward your mail. If Vanguard sends me mail it goes to the forwarding service who will send it to me when I request it.

The Patriot Act has some sort of compliance issue with financial accounts requiring an actual physical address listed on your account-this is NOT your mailing address. For this purpose the address of a forwarding service does not work so we have the workaround of using a friend’s address simply to gain compliance and make Vanguard or whomever happy. Any paper mail goes to your mailing address which is NOT your physical address.

If you do not have anyone’s address to use I really don’t see why ANY legitimate physical address would not work.

A couple of side stories involving creative use of addresses:
-When XM radio first came out they were not licensed in Canada yet so Canadians bought gift cards or US prepaid credit cards and used the address of
XM’s headquarters which I think was Washington DC as their “home” address. Since all the transactions were done online no one cared. There was story after story on the XM forum of Canadians who did this.

-DirecTV allows you to receive east or west coast feeds nationwide of the major networks if you live in certain areas. Folks simply use the address in one of those area (like an RV park), they then get those channels which work nationwide. No mail gets sent there.

palanzo

Post by palanzo » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:37 pm

RMD3819 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:39 pm
palanzo wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:08 pm
RMD3819 wrote:
palanzo wrote:

What is your concern?
The mail forwarding services work to receive and forward your mail. If Vanguard sends me mail it goes to the forwarding service who will send it to me when I request it.

The Patriot Act has some sort of compliance issue with financial accounts requiring an actual physical address listed on your account-this is NOT your mailing address. For this purpose the address of a forwarding service does not work so we have the workaround of using a friend’s address simply to gain compliance and make Vanguard or whomever happy. Any paper mail goes to your mailing address which is NOT your physical address.

If you do not have anyone’s address to use I really don’t see why ANY legitimate physical address would not work.

A couple of side stories involving creative use of addresses:
-When XM radio first came out they were not licensed in Canada yet so Canadians bought gift cards or US prepaid credit cards and used the address of
XM’s headquarters which I think was Washington DC as their “home” address. Since all the transactions were done online no one cared. There was story after story on the XM forum of Canadians who did this.

-DirecTV allows you to receive east or west coast feeds nationwide of the major networks if you live in certain areas. Folks simply use the address in one of those area (like an RV park), they then get those channels which work nationwide. No mail gets sent there.
Thank you for explaining. I did not see your distinction between the mailing and "home" address earlier. When you said "no service" works I read that as no mailing service works for the mailing address. I should be able to find someone to use as a "home" address. I want to be careful that the state for the home address does not try to claim that I am resident and then tax me. The person I am thinking of does not live in a zero tax state. Also I need to establish residency in a zero tax state but that is a separate issue.

RMD3819

Post by RMD3819 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:44 pm

Palanzo if you wish to DM me with your situation I may be able to give more targeted advice.

I researched this extensively before going on the road full time.