What is the single best piece of exercise equipment you bought for your home?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
prairieman

Re: What is the single best piece of exercise equipment you bought for your home?

Post by prairieman » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:58 pm

Good headphones and a subscription to Audible. It makes long walks (2-3 hrs most days) and yard work something I can look forward to every day.

VictoriaF

Re: What is the single best piece of exercise equipment you bought for your home?

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:35 am

Books. The most helpful books are on yoga. Other books provide good advice on general principles of fitness, body-weight exercises, breathing, and other matters.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

RJC

Post by RJC » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:39 am

Adjustable dumbbells

finfire

Post by finfire » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:10 am

soccer ball.

jjbychko

Post by jjbychko » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:30 am

I bought exercise bands to use at home while my gym was closed. You can buy a set that is stackable. You can easily exercise biceps, triceps, shoulders and legs. That plus body weight exercises like pushups and squats are all you need. If you have a pull up bar even better. And nothing special is needed for abs. Even with the gym open I use the exercise bands and do body weight stuff.

NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:11 pm

corn18 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:31 pm
SmallSaver wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:58 pm
fatcoffeedrinker wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:50 pm
simplesimon wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:00 pm
Another vote for power rack + barbell.
+1. No better exercise than squats.
Deadlifts?
If I had to choose which one is better, I would say squats. Just because Rippetoe told me that. I like to deadlift way more than squat, though. And straight bar bench press should be banned. Shoulders aren't meant to do that.
While I agree it's #3 behind the squat and deadlift, there is nothing wrong with the bench press. However owing to it's undeserved ascension to the throne of faux masculinity (aka bro-lifting aka what do you bench bro?) it is seldom done correctly by your average user, including myself by the way for about the first 10 years of my lifting career. Most people lay down flat on a bench and bounce a bar repeatedly off their chest with a wide grip, flared elbows and a touch point at the upper chest. That will tear up the shoulders eventually. Done properly as explained by a typical powerlifting tutorial, with a modest lower back arch, retracted scapula/tight lats, tucked elbows, a touch point in the lower chest or upper sternum, avoiding overextension on the lockout, and it is among the best movements for upper body strength.

Also regarding the post about a chin/pull up bar being more ideal then weights as we age...the compound lifts will load the body in natural human movements (and the squat and hip hinge are each as natural a human movement that there is, whereas the pull up is less natural for us and more natural for our primate relatives) that will best preserve both muscle mass and bone density as we age. It's also worth mentioning lower back problems tend to be prevalent with age driven by weakness in the posterior chain, and the pull up does nothing to address this yet the squat and deadlift do.

BroIceCream

Post by BroIceCream » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:57 am

exercise wheel. cheap. effective

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:20 am

BroIceCream wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:57 am
exercise wheel. cheap. effective
Those things don't do anything for you that can't be done just as well without equipment.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:28 am

NHRATA01 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:11 pm
corn18 wrote:
SmallSaver wrote:
fatcoffeedrinker wrote:
simplesimon wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:00 pm
Another vote for power rack + barbell.
Deadlifts?
If I had to choose which one is better, I would say squats. Just because Rippetoe told me that. I like to deadlift way more than squat, though. And straight bar bench press should be banned. Shoulders aren't meant to do that.
While I agree it's #3 behind the squat and deadlift, there is nothing wrong with the bench press. However owing to it's undeserved ascension to the throne of faux masculinity (aka bro-lifting aka what do you bench bro?) it is seldom done correctly by your average user, including myself by the way for about the first 10 years of my lifting career. Most people lay down flat on a bench and bounce a bar repeatedly off their chest with a wide grip, flared elbows and a touch point at the upper chest. That will tear up the shoulders eventually. Done properly as explained by a typical powerlifting tutorial, with a modest lower back arch, retracted scapula/tight lats, tucked elbows, a touch point in the lower chest or upper sternum, avoiding overextension on the lockout, and it is among the best movements for upper body strength.

Also regarding the post about a chin/pull up bar being more ideal then weights as we age...the compound lifts will load the body in natural human movements (and the squat and hip hinge are each as natural a human movement that there is, whereas the pull up is less natural for us and more natural for our primate relatives) that will best preserve both muscle mass and bone density as we age. It's also worth mentioning lower back problems tend to be prevalent with age driven by weakness in the posterior chain, and the pull up does nothing to address this yet the squat and deadlift do.
I don't think you can really say any of the "big 3" are more important/better than the others. They all have different benefits.

I've always thought you need the yin and the yang for each exercise. Don't just do squats without deadlifting or your hamstrings will be underdeveloped. Don't bench without a pullup or row or your lats will be underdeveloped. A push should be balanced with a pull to prevent imbalances. I think one reason people advocate for squats as "king" is because it's probably the most physiologically difficult major exercise. A squat day is almost always the most taxing day in the gym. Deadlifts are a close second, but I definitely feel squats the next day much more.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:43 am

I removed an interchange discussing medical advice (longevity vs. overdoing it with muscle development). As a reminder, see: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.
Please stay on-topic, which is about the equipment.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

corn18

Post by corn18 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:03 pm

alfaspider wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:28 am
NHRATA01 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:11 pm
corn18 wrote:
SmallSaver wrote:
fatcoffeedrinker wrote:

Deadlifts?

I don't think you can really say any of the "big 3" are more important/better than the others. They all have different benefits.

I've always thought you need the yin and the yang for each exercise. Don't just do squats without deadlifting or your hamstrings will be underdeveloped. Don't bench without a pullup or row or your lats will be underdeveloped. A push should be balanced with a pull to prevent imbalances. I think one reason people advocate for squats as "king" is because it's probably the most physiologically difficult major exercise. A squat day is almost always the most taxing day in the gym. Deadlifts are a close second, but I definitely feel squats the next day much more.
I agree. All three plus pull ups (both grips) are really good. I had a shoulder issue when I was competing. Went to see the PT and she recommended upper back pulling exercises. I thought she was nuts. But I did it and I'll be darned, the shoulder issues were cured and as long as I keep up with the upper back exercises, I am cured.

I will say that my shoulders will never allow me to do straight bar bench again. I use a Swiss bar now and it is sooooo much more comfortable.
Don't do something, just stand there!

Slapshot

Post by Slapshot » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:27 pm

Anyone have one of those pull up devices that are made to hang in a doorway? Do they work ok without wrecking the doorway?
This time, like all times, is the best of times if we but know what to do with it.

Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:51 pm

No question about it: Peloton. Thus far this year, I’ve exercised ~3,000 minutes (as measured by progress towards the Peloton annual challenge), and have completed 562 total workouts since 1/1/2019 (when I started). I’ve purchased other devices/equipment in the past but, for whatever reason, they just haven’t “clicked” with me. Since starting, my resting heart rate has dropped by about 20 BPM, and (counterintuitively) I’ve gained a little weight. That said, since Jan 1st of 2020, I’ve incorporated weight training on M-W-F-Su and have dialed back my aerobic (Peloton) workouts to 60 minute sessions on Tu-Th-Sa. So, I’ve lost a lot of fat and have gained muscle. Could something else work as well? Yes, but this worked best FOR ME and, if I had to do it all over again, I’d go with a Peloton.

BroIceCream

Post by BroIceCream » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:03 pm

Slapshot wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:27 pm
Anyone have one of those pull up devices that are made to hang in a doorway? Do they work ok without wrecking the doorway?
They work ok, as long as you have decent trim surrounding the door. One thing we've found on the model we have is that as the pullup bar ages, the rubber bumpers that rest against the frame may leave a black mark/smudge. Other than that it is fine.

StrawMan

Post by StrawMan » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:14 pm

Surprisingly, for me - it’s been a wooden plyo box. It’s come in handy for so many things outside of its intended purpose. I use it for a step to reach up for pull/chip up’s, dumbbell stand, landmine rest, etc. I use it everyday, paid $50 came in a flat pack ready to assemble.

3of10

Post by 3of10 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:48 pm

tvubpwcisla wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:49 am
I am looking at Dip Bar Stations as they look pretty versatile and you can do a lot of different exercises on them.

What is the single best piece of exercise equipment you bought for your home?

Also, maybe comment on what you would not buy?

Thanks!
For "Dip Bar Stations", you might be referring to a "power tower" which is a combination of (dip station, vertical knee raise, pull up bar,...). Some towers have accessories allowing you to do angled push-ups,... Combine that with some resistance bands with handles, and you'll have a nice set up workout equipment, especially if space is an issue.

dsb012

Post by dsb012 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:16 pm

If I had to only have one the rest of my life: Concept2 rower. If I could have 2 more: kettlebell and a sandbag (workout style). The next two would be my powerblock adjustable dumbbells and a slam ball. I have other gear but there is plenty of versatility with this small set.

z91

Post by z91 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:30 pm

I have two pieces of equipment that compete in our home. The first is a Peloton, which is great for daily cardio.

The second is a set of Ironmaster dumbbells with their "Super Bench". Combined with the Peloton, I get a great workout and spent less than $5k on all of it. This covers all the workouts I'd want to do at the gym, and it all takes up hardly any space.

Well worth the investment on your health.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:31 pm

I went off the deep end 25 years ago. Olympic weights. Full power rack with cable and stack of weights. Even had a leg press machine with 2,500 lb capacity!
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Barcelonasteve

Post by Barcelonasteve » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:50 pm

The best: A NordicTrack cross country ski machine that was $20 like new off of Craigslist a few years ago. I use it for 30 minutes every day. It replaced a NordicTrack cross country ski machine that was $80 at a thrift store and lasted 15 years with daily use. I love it so much I’d pay full price for one if I had to.

The worst: A Peloton bike that I bought (off of Craigslist) because my wife wanted one. I used it for a year (about 300 rides of 30 to 60 minutes), but grew to hate the constant din of the instructors and ended the subscription since my wife had lost interest.

With the NordicTrack, I listen to news, podcasts, language lessons, lose myself in thought, whatever. It also gives my arms a little workout.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:10 pm

Also have a treadmill.
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

JediMisty

Post by JediMisty » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:16 pm

Well, not technically bought for my home, but my fav exercise equipment is my scuba gear. Not as good a workout as some here can do, but wonderful...