IRS refund delay

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
cyborg

IRS refund delay

Post by cyborg » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:23 pm

Anyone else having long delays in their refund? Mine is now over 2 months since filing. I filed electronically and it still says “being processed” on the “where’s my refund” app on the irs website. It’s never taken this long before.

jebmke

Re: IRS refund delay

Post by jebmke » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:26 pm

This sounds like something flagged your return for a review and it may be sitting in a queue waiting for a human to come back to work and get caught up. This can happen even if it is later released back to the process and processed normally. It doesn't necessarily mean there is a defect in your return.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

celia

Post by celia » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:58 pm

Many federal agencies are working from home or not at all. The IRS still has the additional burden of distributing the stimulus checks before they can look at the tax returns. They have now moved on to folks for whom they don't have a bank account and thus have to send the check / debit cards in the mail.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:01 pm

Cyborg - Your situation is exactly why I set my withholding to owe the government rather than wait on the government to refund me. Also if any of the SSNs shown on the return were used fraudulently by someone else at least I would not have to wait for a refund.
Tom D.

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:06 pm

celia wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:58 pm
Many federal agencies are working from home or not at all. The IRS still has the additional burden of distributing the stimulus checks before they can look at the tax returns. They have now moved on to folks for whom they don't have a bank account and thus have to send the check / debit cards in the mail.
I just received a letter from the president about my stimulus money. It arrived weeks after my stimulus money was electronically deposited into my bank account. The IRS is quite busy.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:23 pm

And boy did they mess up a lot of people by sending out those debit cards in the mail. I am sure many letters containing them did not even get opened up and some of those that were opened might have gone in the trash. No word from the government ahead of time to be on the lookout for these cards. :? All advice prior to then was your "check" would be in the mail or direct deposited.

[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]
Tom D.

Jesa

Post by Jesa » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:25 pm

I had the same situation. Filed and accepted on April 3rd. Checked regluarly and it was still being processed. To my surprise, woke up this morning and it has a deposit date of June 10th.

Hang tight, I bet yours gets the green light any day.

the way

Post by the way » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:51 pm

tomd37 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:23 pm
And boy did they mess up a lot of people by sending out those debit cards in the mail. I am sure many letters containing them did not even get opened up and some of those that were opened might have gone in the trash. No word from the government ahead of time to be on the lookout for these cards. :? All advice prior to then was your "check" would be in the mail or direct deposited.

[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]
This seems to be more on the news media. The IRS and Mnuchin did publicize this multiple times, including in their press confs, but I never saw it reported in the news. Much of the press confs seemed to not get thru to the public because the news would focus on what they wanted to focus on (for example an argument between one of the reporters and person speaking).

Mnuchin mentioned multiple times they were using debit cards to get the money out quicker because some in Congress complained that sending out checks hurt people without bank accounts.

IceNine

Post by IceNine » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:47 am

My paper return was postmarked on April 14. It has now been about 2.5 months, and I am still waiting. I check on the where's my refund site and all I ever get is: "You may not have entered your information correctly. Please verify your personal tax data and try again." despite not making any errors.

Is this pretty common?

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:12 am

I'd be surprised if they have even started processing. They claim they will be processing these in the order received. Inasmuch as a lot of people may be ahead of you, I'd sit back for a few months and check again in the fall.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

M.Lee

Post by M.Lee » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:01 am

jebmke wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:12 am
I'd be surprised if they have even started processing. They claim they will be processing these in the order received. Inasmuch as a lot of people may be ahead of you, I'd sit back for a few months and check again in the fall.
I posted earlier that I filed a paper return in mid FEBRUARY. For several months, It has been stating that they have received the return and are processing it. This morning, the message changed to the following, and i am not sure if 'reviewing' is a stage up or down from 'processing'. At least they are doing something with my return. I don't need the refund, but I worry about having to deal with IRS on what could be a hassle because the return is for a deceased person.

Refund Status Results

We have received your tax return and it is being reviewed.
Please Note:
For refund information, please continue to check here, or use our free mobile app, IRS2Go. Updates to refund status are made no more than once a day.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:07 am

M.Lee wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:01 am
jebmke wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:12 am
I posted earlier that I filed a paper return in mid FEBRUARY. For several months, It has been stating that they have received the return and are processing it. This morning, the message changed to the following, and i am not sure if 'reviewing' is a stage up or down from 'processing'. At least they are doing something with my return. I don't need the refund, but I worry about having to deal with IRS on what could be a hassle because the return is for a deceased person.

Refund Status Results

We have received your tax return and it is being reviewed.
Please Note:
For refund information, please continue to check here, or use our free mobile app, IRS2Go. Updates to refund status are made no more than once a day.
Good to know. At least we now have a date marker for what appears to be the start of paper processing.

IceNine

Post by IceNine » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:24 am

I have yet to get a message that says that they have received my return. It was postmarked on April 15. All I get on Where's-My-Refund is:
You may not have entered your information correctly. Please verify your personal tax data and try again.
Please confirm your Social Security Number, Filing Status and Refund Amount shown below.
I guess I just have to be more patient.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:28 am

IceNine wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:24 am
Based on M Lee's post above, they are just digging into the February truckloads.

the way

Post by the way » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:20 pm

jebmke wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:28 am
IceNine wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:24 am
Based on M Lee's post above, they are just digging into the February truckloads.
I know someone who paper-filed this month with a paper check for amount owed, and it was cashed 7 days later.

I was tempted to file my own paper return with large refund to the same address, since once they opened it wouldn't they just go ahead and process it? But I chickened out and sent it to the proper address...with the expected wait time of several months (but hopefully some interest though).

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:22 pm

the way wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:20 pm
I know someone who paper-filed this month with a paper check for amount owed, and it was cashed 7 days later.
They have a dedicated destination for returns with payments. The payments were processed but the returns were set aside.

IceNine

Post by IceNine » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:35 pm

I was tempted to file my own paper return with large refund to the same address, since once they opened it wouldn't they just go ahead and process it? But I chickened out and sent it to the proper address...with the expected wait time of several months (but hopefully some interest though).
Don't hold your breath or count on any interest.