Fire HD 8 Tablet - pricing, model confusion

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
rjbraun

Fire HD 8 Tablet - pricing, model confusion

Post by rjbraun » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:20 am

In the market for a possible Fire HD 8 Tablet. Picked up a Fire 7 a couple of years ago for little money ($20?, with various promotions), mainly just to check it out.

Satisfied with Fire 7 as an extra tablet to surf and to read Kindle books where color or "stretching" illustrations is desired, as this doesn't seem an option on my Kindle Paperwhite. Have an iPad for more frequent and intensive tablet usage, which I'm very happy with. Motivation for possible Fire 8 would be for slightly larger screen size and to provide for a potential second user.

I'm confused by the Fire 8 pricing. Amazon seems to charge $89.99 for the current Fire 8 with 32 GB storage and advertising.

https://www.amazon.com/pantalla-pulgada ... 600&sr=8-3

But, those same parameters with a previous generation seems to cost more: $109.99. Is the earlier generation considered a better model?

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-HD-8-Previo ... 0cnVl&th=1

And then there's a "certified refurbished", previous generation Fire 8 offered for $69.99 "limited time deal", regular list price of $99.99. Again, why is the $99.99 list price greater than the current model's $89.99 price?

https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Tablet-H ... 158&sr=8-2

I don't think I need anything fancy. Should I just go for the refurbished model for $69.99? Then again, an additional 20 bucks isn't going to break the bank. Also, is there any reason to pay up for the (non-refurbished) previous generation Fire HD 8? :confused

Thank you

02nz

Re: Fire HD 8 Tablet - pricing, model confusion

Post by 02nz » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:24 am

There are sometimes quirks with pricing due to third-party sellers, but don't buy the previous model. The Fire tablets are all pretty slow; the new HD 8 is a good bit faster than the previous model, so definitely get the new one. But don't pay regular price for Fire tablets; Amazon puts them on sale very often, I'd be shocked if you had to wait more than a month until the next sale.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:30 am

I'd take a closer look at iPad 10.2 inch model that is on sale at Bestbuy right now. $249 (normally $329) for 32GB, 128GB is $329 (normally $429). Not sure which version you currently own. The current generation iPad
Wirecutter - iPad is the best tablet for 2020:
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... st-tablet/

I have iPads and kindle fires in my family and we all greatly prefer the iPads. You couldn't pay me to use a kindle fire if there's an iPad available.
Last edited by DSInvestor on Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki

jpelder

Post by jpelder » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:34 am

I second the iPad recommendation. If you're going to buy an iPad anyway, there doesn't seem to be much need for another tablet, especially since the Kindle app is so feature-rich.

But take this with a grain of salt, as I've never found the desire to have a tablet of any kind.

purpleKatz

Post by purpleKatz » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:38 am

If you can afford to wait, the Fire tablets always go on sale during Amazon Prime Day or Black Friday. You can also trade-in your Fire 7 tablet for a 20% discount on a new Fire tablet on top of the discounts. https://www.amazon.com/Tablet-Trade-In/ ... 0825011011

Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:45 am

02nz wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:24 am
There are sometimes quirks with pricing due to third-party sellers, but don't buy the previous model. The Fire tablets are all pretty slow; the new HD 8 is a good bit faster than the previous model, so definitely get the new one. But don't pay regular price for Fire tablets; Amazon puts them on sale very often, I'd be shocked if you had to wait more than a month until the next sale.
Good point, thank you. For a while I had the Fire 8 in my Amazon shopping gcart so that I could monitor pricing changes. I think I've seen it go as low as $49.99. I'd like to try to pay no more than that. After all, isn't the Fire, at least in part, a means to channel more potential purchases to Amazon? In any case, I definitely need to wait till next month for any purchase when I can pay with my Chase Freedom card and earn 5X UR points!

vasaver

Post by vasaver » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:54 am

I would second getting an Ipad 32 or Mini.

We have used Fire Tablets for years. They are slow and have a short battery life - I look back at the time I wasted looking at the dim screens, slow charging, inferior apps, installing the google play store and dealing with memory issues. Now we are moving to ipads and I wish I had never purchased Fire Tablets over the years. I also prefer Toyota/Honda cars - even though I could save a few bucks buying something else.

Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:03 am

DSInvestor wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:30 am
I'd take a closer look at iPad 10.2 inch model that is on sale at Bestbuy right now. $249 (normally $329) for 32GB, 128GB is $329 (normally $429). Not sure which version you currently own. The current generation iPad

I have iPads and kindle fires in my family and we all greatly prefer the iPads. You couldn't pay me to use a kindle fire if there's an iPad available.
jpelder wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:34 am
I second the iPad recommendation. If you're going to buy an iPad anyway, there doesn't seem to be much need for another tablet, especially since the Kindle app is so feature-rich.

But take this with a grain of salt, as I've never found the desire to have a tablet of any kind.
Thanks for the BestBuy iPad lead. We may be in the market for another iPad, but that could be in addition to a Fire 8.

While it may seem like I have a lot of tech devices, I don't really think I do. Moreover, I really try to be discerning in my purchases. :)

I like my current iPad a lot and use it regularly, but I guess with the glass screen it requires more careful handling (even with a protective case). It's also heavier and larger to handle. I'm less worried about the Fire 7.

In any case, the possible second iPad (actually, I guess it would be a third as I also have an old, no-longer-supported iPad mini) would be for H who may turn out to need one for work. And the potential Fire 8 would also be intended for H, mainly, to use to read select Kindle books that don't present as well on the Paperwhite.

How well does the Kindle app work on an iPad? is it seamless once it's loaded on the iPad? For example, do Kindle books automatically download once connected to wifi, the way they do with a Fire or Kindle device?

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:06 am

rjbraun wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:03 am
How well does the Kindle app work on an iPad? is it seamless once it's loaded on the iPad? For example, do Kindle books automatically download once connected to wifi, the way they do with a Fire or Kindle device?
Works well, downloads automatically. The big limitation is that you can't buy ebooks from either the Amazon app or Kindle app, because Apple would get a cut, but of course you can just use the browser to make ebook purchases.

Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:19 am

purpleKatz wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:38 am
If you can afford to wait, the Fire tablets always go on sale during Amazon Prime Day or Black Friday. You can also trade-in your Fire 7 tablet for a 20% discount on a new Fire tablet on top of the discounts. https://www.amazon.com/Tablet-Trade-In/ ... 0825011011
Thanks. Will keep that in mind. So far, I haven't been so big on trade-ins. The one exception has been to trade-in a Kindle to upgrade to a Paperwhite. That worked out well, but for now I would be interested to keep my Fire 7 (assuming negligible trade-in value). That said, all the negative talk on this thread about Fire tablets is making me reconsider whether I actually want to acquire a second one!

As for trading in Apple products, which you were not suggesting but that does seem to be an option with the Amazon link you provided, I guess I've not only been reluctant for reasons related to security / confidentiality of personal information but also because I've been pleasantly surprised at how much productivity I continue to get from Apple devices, even if I've had to replace them, in some cases.

The two examples that I would point to are an iPhone 4s(?) and a MacBook Pro, which is now probably approaching its 9-year anniversary and is what I am typing on now.

While I have a new iPhone for everyday use, I still use the old one for a particular app. It's basically a sleep monitor and alarm clock, so the old phone just stays by my bed; if it fails, it's no big deal. In the case of the MacBook Pro, when the touch pad gave out I just bought a separate mouse for $6. Good as new. Of course, if i find that I need the portability of a laptop I might need to buy one, though, at this point, I think my iPad might well be adequate in most instances.

BL

Post by BL » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:46 pm

I got the Fire 10 a couple years ago at Prime day for about $100. Picture is amazing! Light to carry around. Use it on occasion.

Can't figure out password to get into my older I-Pad 3?? so not so sure about that. I didn't use it for a long time and battery ran down; it was the first time I recall needing password. Guess I should try some more.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:44 pm

We're also a mixed iPad and Fire Tablet family. No question the iPads are worth the money. But with small children, I am much more comfortable with the $50 & $100 price points of Fire Tablets. My eldest actually cracked not one but two iPads. Back then, iPads were $500 each. :oops: Our current 2019 10.2" iPad was $239 bought earlier this year. It lives in a heavy ugly padded case. They now use an Fire HD 10 with a crack in it. It cost $100 2 years ago on Prime Day. Battery life is bad now and I am comfortable waiting for Prime Day this year that is delayed until September to pick up another HD10 for $100 or an HD8 for $50. The HD8+ with wireless charging and 1 more gb of ram for a total of 3 gb sounds intriguing as well. They never had this model before so I don't know what it will cost on Prime Day. I definitely would not buy a previous model HD8. The current HD8 is already slow to begin with.

Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:16 pm

02nz wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:06 am
rjbraun wrote:
Works well, downloads automatically. The big limitation is that you can't buy ebooks from either the Amazon app or Kindle app, because Apple would get a cut, but of course you can just use the browser to make ebook purchases.
I don't currently use either of those apps to buy e-books, but I sometimes borrow Kindle books from the public library. In those instances, I think the setup is that I just download to my Kindle Paperwhite from Amazon via the browser. In that case, I am guessing that I might not be able to download a Kindle e-book from the library to an iPad. Does that sound right? Not a dealbreaker, just curious.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:48 pm

rjbraun wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:16 pm
02nz wrote:
rjbraun wrote:
I don't currently use either of those apps to buy e-books, but I sometimes borrow Kindle books from the public library. In those instances, I think the setup is that I just download to my Kindle Paperwhite from Amazon via the browser. In that case, I am guessing that I might not be able to download a Kindle e-book from the library to an iPad. Does that sound right? Not a dealbreaker, just curious.
You can download kindle books to the iPad if you handle the purchases or borrows from the amazon web site. If you use overdrive app, and borrow a kindle book from your library, that should open up amazon web site on your iPad which will then allow you to direct the download of the kindle book to any kindle device/app registered to your account.
Wiki

Arlington2019

Post by Arlington2019 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:56 pm

I bought my first Kindle Fire back in 2012, and have owned six altogether. In recent years, I always did the jailbreak and installed Google Play on them for a wider variety of apps. My most recent Fires (8 inch and 10 inch) were bought in 2017. I have within the last week bought the Fire HD 8 Plus at $ 110. It was free to me by using points from my Amazon credit card. There is a substantial difference in speed and ease of use over the older Fires from 2017. I upgraded to the 8 plus for the faster processor, more memory and wireless charging. I installed Google Play on it and have my usual Android apps installed on it. For my perspective, the 8 plus clearly offers improved performance and it is now a reasonable Android tablet with Google Play on it. I may very well get another on Prime day, depending on pricing.

jpelder

Post by jpelder » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:36 am

rjbraun wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:16 pm
02nz wrote:
rjbraun wrote:
I can't speak to the iPad version specifically, but my whole Kindle library downloads and syncs to the app on my Android smartphone. This includes Overdrive books (the main reason I bought a Kindle back in March). I'm sure the iOS version works the same.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:34 am

rjbraun wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:20 am
In the market for a possible Fire HD 8 Tablet. Picked up a Fire 7 a couple of years ago for little money ($20?, with various promotions), mainly just to check it out.

Satisfied with Fire 7 as an extra tablet to surf and to read Kindle books where color or "stretching" illustrations is desired, as this doesn't seem an option on my Kindle Paperwhite. Have an iPad for more frequent and intensive tablet usage, which I'm very happy with. Motivation for possible Fire 8 would be for slightly larger screen size and to provide for a potential second user.

I'm confused by the Fire 8 pricing. Amazon seems to charge $89.99 for the current Fire 8 with 32 GB storage and advertising.

https://www.amazon.com/pantalla-pulgada ... 600&sr=8-3

But, those same parameters with a previous generation seems to cost more: $109.99. Is the earlier generation considered a better model?

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-HD-8-Previo ... 0cnVl&th=1

And then there's a "certified refurbished", previous generation Fire 8 offered for $69.99 "limited time deal", regular list price of $99.99. Again, why is the $99.99 list price greater than the current model's $89.99 price?

https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Tablet-H ... 158&sr=8-2

I don't think I need anything fancy. Should I just go for the refurbished model for $69.99? Then again, an additional 20 bucks isn't going to break the bank. Also, is there any reason to pay up for the (non-refurbished) previous generation Fire HD 8? :confused

Thank you
Fire tablets are on sale today.

https://smile.amazon.com/All-New-Fire-H ... B07TMJ1R3X
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:56 am

Freefun wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:34 am

Thank you, just saw that on Amazon myself and was about to post here as well!

Ten bucks more than the $49.99 I was targeting in my mind, though I'm still on the fence about whether to get another Fire tablet at all.

Guess I'll mull it over in my head some today

Dottie57

Re: Fire HD 8 Tablet - pricing, model confusi

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:30 am

DSInvestor wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:30 am

+1. I have become an iPad addict. When I first bought one I thought - Meh. I have traveled with mine and loaded it up with movies when traveling. Very convenient. Cookbooks. Kindle app. Etc.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:32 am

rjbraun wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:56 am
Freefun wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:34 am

Thank you, just saw that on Amazon myself and was about to post here as well!

Ten bucks more than the $49.99 I was targeting in my mind, though I'm still on the fence about whether to get another Fire tablet at all.

Guess I'll mull it over in my head some today
Same here. $60 and $80 :confused I really want the plus version but at $80, it's just $20 away from the HD10 on sale which is way faster. I'll be trading in my old 2017 HD10 that nets me a further 20% off. By all accounts this new 2020 HD8 is slower than my old HD10 but I want the smaller form factor. What to do ...