41 hrs old looking for education tools

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
jen25w

41 hrs old looking for education tools

Post by jen25w » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:11 pm

My husband and I are 41 and want to begin investing after spending a couple of years trying to get rid of some debt.

We bought books and online learning programs to help teach me the basics of investing but I cannot seem to focus and retain the information. We listened to some short online YouTube videos by Pareet B. and I was able to understand what I was learning Without a problem, but the series stopped after teaching the BASICS of stocks, bonds and sub assets. They didn’t go into dividends, how to chose stocks and bonds, what’s ETF were etc.

Does anyone recommend a good video series I can watch? I’m a very visual person so audiobooks are difficult for me as well. Thank you.

random_walker_77

Re: 41 hrs old looking for education tools

Post by random_walker_77 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:19 pm

So here's the thing, just about everything you need to know about investing can fit on a 3x5 index card.

Just buy a target 2045 retirement fund, make sure you have an emergency fund, and ignore the financial news. Be ok w/ not trying to beat the market.

The details of trading stocks/ETFs/options etc can be interesting, but they aren't what you need to know. Investing is actually pretty simple... it's just not easy to ignore the noise and fear to invest consistently.

mortfree

Post by mortfree » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:24 pm

Last edited by mortfree on Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

L82GAME

Post by L82GAME » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:24 pm

Hello jen25w:

The Target Date Fund (TDF) is a fine suggestion. Regarding good video resources, I strongly recommend Rick Van Ness’ site. If not a TDF, then a simple three fund portfolio: https://financinglife.org/learn-how-to- ... portfolio/

And check out his investing video series here: https://financinglife.org/learn-how-to-invest/

Chris001122

Post by Chris001122 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:29 pm

this might be good.

you tube videos
"It's always been a mistake to bet against the United States since 1776." - Warren Buffett

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:22 am

Or... let the forum walk you through your options.

Read library book, The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing. It'll provide the background information for you to understand your forum replies.

Then go into the first forum section, "Personal Investing", and post your information in the format requested in the sticky "Asking Portfolio Questions". Be certain to include all of your information---omitted information = missed options for improvements. (Copy the sticky to your PC and edit it over a few days as you gather your information. Post your information into a new topic when complete.)

Forum videos: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Video:B ... philosophy

Disclosure. I did some research before beginning to index invest. (How hard can it be?) I copied a top-performing "lazy portfolio" (recency bias) and was surprised when I had problems a few years later.

Long-story short. My forum review told me what I'd done wrong and offered several (sometimes conflicting) suggestions to correct my problems. I implemented the safest suggestions. But they didn't exactly fit me, so tweaked my investments a few years later for a better fit. I now pass the SWAN (sleep well at night) test.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.