Snow bird

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
piazano

Snow bird

Post by piazano » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:04 pm

Hello, i’m looking to do the snow bird thing next year. I live in Pa and want a warmer climate for the winter preferably on the east coast. We would like to be near water, ocean or lake. Both of us in early 60’s. The wife likes the beach and I like to go fishing. We are not into the party scene, maybe have dinner out once or twice a week. Time frame somewhere around early Dec. to March. Any good suggestions and or realtors would be appreciated.

LuckyGuy

Re: Snow bird

Post by LuckyGuy » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:10 pm

I know you said East coast, but we love going to Clearwater beach so I can fish and wife beaches. There’s a place called east shore resort that has its own fishing pier on the bay and a short walk to the beach. One of my favorites.

https://www.eastshoreresort.com/

Gill

Post by Gill » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:44 pm

Not sure where to begin. Florida is a huge state and the East coast runs 500 miles from Key West to Jacksonville. You need to narrow it down a bit.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:48 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (where to live).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

John Z

Post by John Z » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:55 pm

Maybe I can help you narrow it down. Northern East Coast north of Melbourne has cool winters with warmth starting in April. Fairly constant northeast winds can be brutal right along the coast. Prices are lower here. South of Melbourne winters are much more mild to warm but pricing and population density go up.

ram

Post by ram » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:30 pm

piazano wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:04 pm
want a warmer climate for the winter preferably on the east coast.
Please clarify if you are referring to east coast of USA or east coast of Florida.
Ram

Gill

Post by Gill » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:37 pm

ram wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:30 pm
piazano wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:04 pm
want a warmer climate for the winter preferably on the east coast.
Please clarify if you are referring to east coast of USA or east coast of Florida.
Good point. I was assuming he meant Florida, but a warmer climate to someone in PA could be Baltimore to Key West.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal

Topic Author
piazano

Post by piazano » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:06 pm

Sorry everyone, what I should have said was somewhere from say S Carolina and south. I am also not opposed to the gulf side of Florida. Northeast Pa gets too much snow and it seems like the winter goes on forever, I wouldn’t mind a little snow but if I never saw it again thats ok with me. If I want to see it then I will go to it.

Topic Author
piazano

Post by piazano » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:10 pm

Luckyguy,
I checked out East Shore Resort and there are no dates open for the time frame we are looking at, it’s a little pricy also but thanks for the recommendation

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:15 pm

Sanibel Island, Marco Island, Captiva or Naples all on the Gulf Coast. Probably everything will be pricey since you are not alone in your desire to avoid snow and cold.

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:17 pm

Fernandina Beach, FL is a great area just inside Florida. Kind of overlooked up there near the Georgia border. Would cut a few hours off the drive from Pennsylvania. Right off I-95. Atlantic Ocean & St. Marys River.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.

FireHorse

Post by FireHorse » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:39 pm

Dec to March? hope we have vaccine for corvid-19 by then. Florida is a hot spot and don't see it gets better any time soon.

Our plan for next winter in Florida has been on hold until further notice on corvid-19.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:55 am

Covid 19 notwithstanding, the gulf coast of FL has some nice spots. We snowbirded here for the winter for a few years and really liked it. Eventually we sold our home in NY and moved here permanently. I think snowbirding is great to get away for the winter and you get to see if you want to move. Check Airbnb, VRBO and local realtors for ideas.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.