refi or continue on current course

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
afr

refi or continue on current course

Post by afr »

I took out a 30 yr fixed mortgage in 2013 for 233k@4%. We've been paying an extra $500/mo. principal and the current payoff balance is $149,500. With rates for a 15 yr fixed in the 3% range would it be smart to refi? Or just wait to see if they dip to 2% or possibly lower?
delamer

Re: refi or continue on current course

Post by delamer »

Have you figured out your new payment with 15 years/3%?
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

If you can get a low/no-cost refi for either a 15 or 30 year loan around 3% or less, then YES, refi.
Topic Author
afr

Post by afr »

FWIW, if I stay with current note and extra 500/mo payment, it should be paid off in 8 yrs.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

afr wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:27 pm FWIW, if I stay with current note and extra 500/mo payment, it should be paid off in 8 yrs.
And if you get a no-cost refi and pay the same amount, you pay off even sooner. So I’m failing to see the point of this statement.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

Refinance. 4% is relatively high in this day and age.
Topic Author
afr

Post by afr »

Shouldn't I wait and see if I can get a no cost 15 yr note 1 1/2-2 % less than my current 4%? I always thought that was the rule to follow.
ChiKid24

Post by ChiKid24 »

afr wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:48 pm Shouldn't I wait and see if I can get a no cost 15 yr note 1 1/2-2 % less than my current 4%? I always thought that was the rule to follow.
If it's truly no cost then any drop from your current rate is helpful as you are paying less interest. I'd get pricing to do it now, and since it's no cost, you can always do it later if things continue to fall.
Topic Author
afr

Post by afr »

How can I verify with the potential lender that it will be a truly no cost event? I have as much trust in the banking industry as I do politicians and insurance sales people.
ChiKid24

Post by ChiKid24 »

afr wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:56 pm How can I verify with the potential lender that it will be a truly no cost event?
Any loan can be no cost if you are willing to take a higher rate to get a credit to cover the closing costs. Get a loan estimate and look at the costs in Sections A, B, C and E. Total those up and see what kind of credit the lender is offering. If it doesn't cover the costs, you can ask for a higher rate for a higher credit, or you can shop their estimate to someone else.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

afr wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:48 pm Shouldn't I wait and see if I can get a no cost 15 yr note 1 1/2-2 % less than my current 4%? I always thought that was the rule to follow.
Throw the old rules out the door. With a no-cost refinance, you ALWAYS come out ahead, even if you sell or refi in a month, as long as 1) your refi rate is lower than your current mortgage, even if it's just by 0.125%; and 2) you pay at least as much as you were with the old loan, i.e. extra to principal. If rates drop again, just do another no-cost refi.

Note: A true no-cost refi is one where the lender provides a credit to cover closing costs in exchange for a slightly higher rate (think of it as negative points), NOT where the costs are wrapped into the principal.
dandinsac

Post by dandinsac »

In February, I refinanced my loan balance of about $320,000 from 3.75% to 3.25% with a no cost refinance. My payment went up by about $60 since I did a 20-year term, which shortened the payoff by 2 years. The interest savings are substantial. For my next payment in July, I would have paid $990 in interest with my old loan. With the new loan having a lower rate, my payment in July will include have $862 of interest.

The process was straightforward and an appraisal wasn’t required. It probably took 8 hours or so of my time. I’m looking to do another no cost refinance in a few months if the rates drop a bit more.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

+1 on refinancing now if the payback, if any, makes sense. Try for a no-cost refi so you can refinance again if rates drop further.

The most recent posts from the BH refinancing mega thread may be helpful in identifying good online lenders, etc.:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=289559