chicken marinade recipes

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
triggerfish10

chicken marinade recipes

Post by triggerfish10 »

Hello all,

Today I am Mr. Mom. My wife is at work and I just put my daughter down for a nap, so now I've got a little time to kill. After the horrendous midwestern winter we just endured, I have plans to be outside and grill out as much as possible. For those who like to do the same, what sort of marinade do you use for chicken breasts? I know that store bought seasoning packets are pretty good and are certainly easy, but I am curious as to what homemade recipes folks around here like to use. For example, I have a fantastic smoked paprika chicken marinade recipe that I use, and the results are so good that it is certainly worth the extra work.
"A quiet and modest life brings more joy than a pursuit of success bound with constant unrest" - Albert Einstein
peppers

Re: chicken marinade recipes

Post by peppers »

My wife uses a chipotle rub.

Alas, the recipe is encrypted. But, I do know that jalapeno peppers are part of the mix. :)
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

Have you ever tried Cornell chicken? Here is a link:

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chicken_ ... icken.html

very crispy skin, but I'd add some sriracha and garlic to the mix to give it more flavor.
There are lots of other recipes on the Amazing Ribs site if you are looking for good bbq ideas.
gatorman
ks289

Post by ks289 »

Honey mustard chicken is fairly easy and tasty, but like most marinades/sauces leaves the grill messy.
I eyeball it, but here is a basic recipe.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sunn ... ecipe.html

When I am in no mood for cleaning up burnt marinade/sauce I favor simple olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder on the grill for both chicken and steak.
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

Basically, just get creative by using some oil, vinegar, and spices. IMHO that is the recipe for success. For example, italian dressing would work.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

I was pleasantly surprised with the results of marinating boneless chicken thighs in Stubbs SPICY bbq sauce for an hour or so before grilling.
The SPICY variant has habanero peppers in there, with very little corn syrup.
And while any sauce like that gets the grill "sticky" it all burns to a crisp and is easily scraped off during the pre-heat for the next grilling session...
Attempted new signature...
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

The Wizard wrote:I was pleasantly surprised with the results of marinating boneless chicken thighs in Stubbs SPICY bbq sauce for an hour or so before grilling.
The SPICY variant has habanero peppers in there, with very little corn syrup.
And while any sauce like that gets the grill "sticky" it all burns to a crisp and is easily scraped off during the pre-heat for the next grilling session...
Also, "watering down" BBQ sauce with vinegar should help.
matjen

Post by matjen »

Walkerswood Jamaican Jerk Seasoning - Hot & Spicy

http://www.amazon.com/Walkerswood-Tradi ... B0001CVDZI

Get a bunch of boneless chicken thighs. Dump them in a plastic bag with the jerk sauce mixed with some olive oil. Let sit for a few hours to overnight in the fridge.

Grill
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
sdaehelgob

Post by sdaehelgob »

MarkS

Post by MarkS »

triggerfish10 wrote:I have a fantastic smoked paprika chicken marinade recipe...
Can you share it? :D

Thanks.

MarkS
Skiffy

Post by Skiffy »

We like olive oil, lemon, lime or vinegar, chili powder, garlic, s & p. etc. then good leftovers for salads, sandwiches.
jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 »

Here is mine although it was originally for chicken thighs (my preference):

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

2 tablespoons soy sauce

2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1 teaspoon smoked paprika

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon pepper

2 teaspoons minced garlic

1/4 cup canola oil

8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs

Directions
Mix together Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, brown sugar, smoked paprika, garlic powder, pepper, minced garlic, and canola oil in a resealable plastic bag; mix well. Coat chicken thighs with the marinade, seal, and marinate for 4 hours in the refrigerator, redistributing the chicken in the marinade occasionally.
Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat.
Remove chicken from marinade and shake off excess. Grill on preheated grill until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F (75 degrees C), and is firm and opaque, about 12 minutes per side. Discard any remaining marinade.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

matjen wrote:Walkerswood Jamaican Jerk Seasoning - Hot & Spicy

http://www.amazon.com/Walkerswood-Tradi ... B0001CVDZI

Get a bunch of boneless chicken thighs. Dump them in a plastic bag with the jerk sauce mixed with some olive oil. Let sit for a few hours to overnight in the fridge.

Grill
I've done this as well. Equal amts of jerk paste and olive oil. But I've just spread it on both sides of pounded chicken breasts for a while before grilling...
Attempted new signature...
Topic Author
triggerfish10

Post by triggerfish10 »

This works for 1 package (1-1.5 lb) boneless skinless chicken thighs/breasts:

-1 T smoked paprika
-1 T (or more) olive oil
-juice of 1/2 lime
-2-3 cloves of garlic, smashed and minced
-1 t honey
-1/2 t dried epazote (you can also use dried oregano, it is more easily available, it tastes different, but good; majoram is also nice)

Mix everything together into a paste-like consistency. You can add a little more olive oil as necessary if it's too thick. Smear it on the chicken and put into a plastic bag; refrigerate. You can marinate the chicken for anywhere from 1 to 12 hrs, longer is better.
"A quiet and modest life brings more joy than a pursuit of success bound with constant unrest" - Albert Einstein
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Some great suggestions here, which I will try next time out.

Simple for me...marinate the chix breasts in Italian dressing and add Italian seasoning. My wife is much more created.

ed
mt

Post by mt »

Ranch dressing
JoinToday

Post by JoinToday »

Recipe #1: pesto + Italian dressing (both from Costco). I think about a 50:50 mix. Also works good as as a sauce for cooked chicken (mix new sauce for the cooked chicken, don't use the sauce that was used on the raw chicken). Really good, really simple. It doesn't get any easier than this.

recipe #2: I also rub chicken breast with vegetable oil, and sprinkle lemon pepper on it. Costco lemon pepper has an off flavor to me, I get it from a local market. The lemon pepper has salt in it.
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago
Topic Author
triggerfish10

Post by triggerfish10 »

Some folks have mentioned using chicken thighs instead of breasts. Why? Cost? Availability?
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

IMO chicken thighs have much better flavor. Breasts are also easy to dry out if you're not watching them closely.
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

I have had very good results with (1) marinating in Allegro marinade with some liquid smoke mixed in, and (2) brushing chicken with Stubb's BBQ sauce during cooking. This works in the oven, too.
surveyor

Post by surveyor »

Google "roadside chicken tvwbb"
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

I can make a number of marinades. However, I have been using Goya Mojo Cruillo for the last few years. It is a good mix of garlic and various citrus juices.
geocache

Post by geocache »

Goya Mojo Criollo marinade is excellent for chicken or pork. It can usually be found in the "Hispanic area" of your grocery store.
Topic Author
triggerfish10

Post by triggerfish10 »

Great ideas thus far - thanks for the suggestions!
SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

Plain yogurt is great to use as an overnight marinade.

Helps to tenderize the meat, and you can add flavors like dill or lemon to the yogurt to impart some great flavor.

I think many Indian recipes call for plain yogurt as a marinading agent.
gravlax

Post by gravlax »

triggerfish10 wrote:Hello all,

Today I am Mr. Mom. My wife is at work and I just put my daughter down for a nap, so now I've got a little time to kill. After the horrendous midwestern winter we just endured, I have plans to be outside and grill out as much as possible. For those who like to do the same, what sort of marinade do you use for chicken breasts? I know that store bought seasoning packets are pretty good and are certainly easy, but I am curious as to what homemade recipes folks around here like to use. For example, I have a fantastic smoked paprika chicken marinade recipe that I use, and the results are so good that it is certainly worth the extra work.
I'm a big fan of Mark Bittman's Chicken Adobo recipe. Not exactly a marinade, but it does involve using the grill. http://markbittman.com/6th-day-of-htce-chicken-adobo/

However, for health reasons you may want to stick with your natural diet of crabs, urchins, and mollusks.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

My favorite is a "bacon marinade"! :)

Sprinkle chicken (whole, halves, or parts) with black pepper. You can also use other spices you might like.

Wrap with bacon, fastening with toothpicks as needed. I prefer to use halves, and only cover the skin side, and also loop bacon around drumsticks.

Refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight. Some of the salt/cure will migrate from the bacon into the chicken during this time.

Grill over low/medium until chicken hits required temp. If needed, give a quick sear at higher heat to crisp up the bacon.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

bhsince87 wrote:My favorite is a "bacon marinade"! :)

Sprinkle chicken (whole, halves, or parts) with black pepper. You can also use other spices you might like.

Wrap with bacon, fastening with toothpicks as needed. I prefer to use halves, and only cover the skin side, and also loop bacon around drumsticks.

Refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight. Some of the salt/cure will migrate from the bacon into the chicken during this time.

Grill over low/medium until chicken hits required temp. If needed, give a quick sear at higher heat to crisp up the bacon.
Mmmmm, bacon!!
Topic Author
triggerfish10

Post by triggerfish10 »

Plain yogurt is great to use as an overnight marinade
. If I tried this, should I try to scrape off as much of the yogurt as possible before I grill it? How well does the remaining yogurt do in that intense heat?
supertreat

Post by supertreat »

this sounds good- haven't tried it- but with that many ratings it must be good
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Rosemary-R ... sults_p1i6
Assets - Liabilities = Equity + (Income - Expenses)
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Triggerfish:

I used your recipe with paprika, lime juice, etc. and liked it. Not a strong over powering flavor, but very good.

Thanks,

Ed
Topic Author
triggerfish10

Post by triggerfish10 »

I used your recipe with paprika, lime juice, etc. and liked it. Not a strong over powering flavor, but very good.
Great! I feel like too much of a newbie to give any specific investing advice, but if something I contribute helps anyone in any other way then I am satisfied.

The following is a recipe that I have used on flank steak in the past with some success, and I don't see why it couldn't work for chicken as well:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spicy-lime ... ank-steak/
SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

triggerfish10 wrote:
Plain yogurt is great to use as an overnight marinade
. If I tried this, should I try to scrape off as much of the yogurt as possible before I grill it? How well does the remaining yogurt do in that intense heat?
Yes sir.
Just scrape off or rinse off any remaining yogurt prior to grilling.

You can leave it on, but it may char a bit over the intense grill heat.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

surveyor wrote: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:32 am Google "roadside chicken tvwbb"
Bumping this, in response to a current post on Weber Grill Grates. Got to searching to see if "Roadside Chicken" has ever been mentioned. Also similar is "Cornell Chicken". Both recipes remind me of the chicken you'd get at your local fire hall fundraiser. Best over charcoal, and I think bone-in thighs work as well as spatchcocked chicken. Very addicting.

ROADSIDE CHICKEN

1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup veg oil
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1 TBS Sea or Kosher salt
1 TBS white sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp celery salt
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
sss2009

Post by sss2009 »

peppers wrote: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:47 am My wife uses a chipotle rub.

Alas, the recipe is encrypted. But, I do know that jalapeno peppers are part of the mix. :)
your post was really helpful
smitty1515

Post by smitty1515 »

Italian dressing or Chipotle chicken hack https://www.culinaryhill.com/chipotle-chicken/
Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful. -Warren Buffett
windaar

Post by windaar »

For Chicken Thighs:
Marinade a few hours in a Ziplock bag with oil of choice, Kikkoman Soy Sauce, Lemon Juice, Garlic Powder, Honey, dash of Sesame Oil, Pepper.
Charcoal grill, coals on one side, drip pan on the other side.
Put some oil on the grill.
Sear over the coals for a minute or 2 each side, then transfer to the other side of the grill over drip pan, and cover. Grill vent on pan side.
20 -25 min
Serve with rice.
QED
Last edited by windaar on Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nobody knows nothing.
Strayshot

Post by Strayshot »

https://www.modernhoney.com/the-best-ch ... de-recipe/

Best chicken marinade ever. I use it for tenderloins and grill them, perfect!
mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy »

ALL great ideas that I will be trying. IF you can think far enough in advance next time, marinate overnight in buttermilk. It makes the chicken super tender and juicy. We add a little sirancha sauce to the buttermilk for a kick. Otherwise, chicken is just so boring most of the time.

But if you are putting a little one down for a nap, you are likely too exhausted to think too much in advance!

Mrs. Betsy
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

My go to marinade for chicken or pork is simple. Soy sauce, lemon juice and diced garlic. The salt from the soy sauce acts as a brine and thus increases moisture content in the meat making it juicier. Lemon juice breaks down the meat allowing more of the flavor to penetrate. The diced garlic is the flavor for me but about anything would work here.
El Greco

Post by El Greco »

Ok. I'll play.

Grilled 5 spice chicken tenderloins
1/3 cup light Soy sauce
1/4 cup Peanut Oil (or other light oil, like Canola)
2 tablespoons light teriyaki sauce
2 tablespoons Mirin
3 minced garlic cloves
1 tablespoon microplaned fresh ginger root
2 teaspoons chinese 5 spice powder

Marinate up to a dozen chicken tenderloins in this mixture for 3 or 4 days.

Grill tenderloins hot and fast, about 3 minutes per side
Dougiefresh

Post by Dougiefresh »

Strayshot wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:09 pm https://www.modernhoney.com/the-best-ch ... de-recipe/

Best chicken marinade ever. I use it for tenderloins and grill them, perfect!
I approve this message!
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

I keep a document of chicken marinades. I've copied (in my own words) most of the recipes & combinations. Looking forward to trying them all!
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Japanese/Korean/Hawaiian Island Style Pseudo Teriyaki Chicken

Large ziplock bag.
Chicken Thighs (Breasts are going to be dryer and not as juicy)
Chopped Green Onions
Kikkoman or Aloha Soyu (substitute Braggs if needed but will effect taste)
Chopped Onions
Chopped Garlic (more garlic is more Korean tasting, less is more Japanese)
Brown Sugar (sweeter is more Teriyaki Japanese tasting)
Sesame Oil (more is more Chinese tasting, less is less Chinese tasting)
Sesame Seeds
Red Pepper Flakes or just a pinch of Hawaiian Red Chilli Pippers (mega hot) (optional: more local/Korean style or leave it out)
Vinegar (some use and most don't, too tart too snappy for island tastes)
Salt (island shoyu is already salty, but add salt to taste if using healthy no salt shoyu types)
Grated Ginger and slices of Ginger (more is more korean local tasting, less is more Japanese Teriyaki Tasting)
Chinese 5 Spices (more is more Chinese tasting, leave out for more Japanese tasting)
Pepper to taste

Marinade the chicken and everything for at least 24 hours.
"Lomi" the chicken when you can. Roll around and rub it in the ziplock bag.
Put the ziplock bag on a large plate in the frig in case the bag leaks.
If marinade for longer than 2 days, it will get more salty and the chicken texture will be more like Chinese Chicken restaurant texture which may seem rubbery at times.

Don't add water because the moisture will come out of the chicken anyway and water it down and it will not be as tasty.
Island food is very very tasty and very juicy.

Best grilled over Kiawe/Mesquite wood Hibachi or grill.
But baked or fried is ok.

Best eaten with hot fresh cooked brown rice.
Optional sides: Korean Kim Chee, or Poi n Lomi Salmon, or ??

Have fun and watch out for weight gain.

j :happy
Last edited by Sandtrap on Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
daheld

Post by daheld »

I like to use the marinade from the website below, but I don't do them as kebabs. Just make a batch of the yogurt marinade, put it in a bag with chicken thighs, let it sit overnight. So, so good.

https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/m ... ebabs.html

1 cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (reduce to 1/2 teaspoon if you don't like heat)
Zest from one lemon
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, from one lemon
1-3/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
5 garlic cloves, minced
2-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of any excess fat and cut into large bite-sized pieces
1 large red onion, cut into wedges
Vegetable oil, for greasing the grill
JLJL

Post by JLJL »

Using fats are good. I like to do mayo, ranch, garlic and a chicken or pork rub seasoning overnight, then grill.

Really important to do a fatty marinade if you are grilling in terms of meat absorbing carcinogens. This comes out really tender and doesn't taste like mayo/ranch, just a great medium for managing the cook.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Didnt notice the original date of this...scrolling down I found my simple Italian dressing and Italian seasoning...way back in 2014.

We have had very good success with brining the chicken parts...water, salt, and possibly other items. Boil then cool to room temp and place chix parts in the brine for several hours. This insures the breast will be moist. We add seasoning based on our appetite.

Ed
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

We love chicken tandoori. It is a combination marinade and coating. Great on the grill or in the oven. Basically yogurt, garlic, lemon or lime juice, ginger and spices. Not spicy (unless you want it to be), but very aromatic. We tend to use a modified version of the America's Test Kitchen recipe.
MadHungarian

Post by MadHungarian »

You, uh, trying to turn the Bogleheads into the Beardstown Ladies here?