Markets back near all time highs - how are you feeling and path forward ?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
skor99

Markets back near all time highs - how are you feeling and path forward ?

Post by skor99 »

So the market is back up to all-time highs and I’m guessing pretty much everybody’s portfolio is as well. I am feeling relieved for sure, but not sure if there is a lot of happiness at this time with all the uncertainty still around. Covid is still spreading and millions are still without jobs .
What are folks feeling and what should be the path forward ?
sailaway

Re: Markets back near all time highs - how are you feeling and path forward ?

Post by sailaway »

I am bewildered, and still sticking to my IPS.
windaar

Post by windaar »

At least following the philosophy of this particular financial board, the path is to stay the course. Not being a smart alek; that's what J.B. taught.
Nobody knows nothing.
whereskyle

Post by whereskyle »

skor99 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:48 pm So the market is back up to all-time highs and I’m guessing pretty much everybody’s portfolio is as well. I am feeling relieved for sure, but not sure if there is a lot of happiness at this time with all the uncertainty still around. Covid is still spreading and millions are still without jobs .
Felt much more confident about the future when the market was down. Now, I'm prepared to see my portfolio get cut in half any day now, so not quite so confident.

That said, I stay the course knowing I have the ideal portfolio: the market portfolio.
"I am better off than he is – for he knows nothing and thinks that he knows. I neither know nor think that I know." - Socrates. "Nobody knows nothing." - Jack Bogle
Livelife2fullest

Post by Livelife2fullest »

I’ve been feeling bullish on equities the past several weeks and that feeling remains. I’ve learned the market is irrational. Equities have more upside in the near term, IMO. Staying the course, all contributions are still 100% equities for me.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Valuation are ridiculous right now. Q2 is going to be horrible. I'll follow my plan again: sell if it breaks below the 300 day moving average, and buy either at 20x ttm PE or when it breaks above the 300 day moving average again.

I'm more worried about where to deploy new money than my existing investments. My current plan is to accelerate paying down my home.
Last edited by rockstar on Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Definitely time to check asset allocation and rebalance if needed.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
skor99

Post by skor99 »

I feel another wild swing downwards of 40% would be very harmful to the investor sentiment. I think the Fed might be actively engaging in ‘managing’ the market till Covid is under control and unemployment is down around 7-8 %.
rascott

Post by rascott »

Thr constant bear sentiment makes me feel SPX 3600 by year end is the most likely outcome.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

Rebalancing with my fixed AA of 60/40 works perfectly. I sell bonds to buy the stock in March. Now, I sell the stock to buy the bonds. The volatility has been very good for my portfolio. I expect more swings along the way.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Feeling - take away the punch bowl and the party will fizzle out.

Path forward - follow my IPS, ignore euphoria, ignore the crowd.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

KlangFool wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:08 pm OP,

Rebalancing with my fixed AA of 60/40 works perfectly. I sell bonds to buy the stock in March. Now, I sell the stock to buy the bonds. The volatility has been very good for my portfolio. I expect more swings along the way.

KlangFool
The only thing I could change there is my own personal AA. The rest of those words are exactly what I'd say.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Topic Author
skor99

Post by skor99 »

rascott wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:04 pm Thr constant bear sentiment makes me feel SPX 3600 by year end is the most likely outcome.
Wouldn’t 3600 cross all bounds of irrational-ity ? The fall after would be even more severe than March

I always like my portfolio going up in value, but sorta hoping it doesn’t come to 3600 unless conditions really improve just to preserve everyone’s sanity.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

skor99 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:12 pm
rascott wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:04 pm Thr constant bear sentiment makes me feel SPX 3600 by year end is the most likely outcome.
Wouldn’t 3600 cross all bounds of irrational-ity ? The fall after would be even more severe than March

I always like my portfolio going up in value, but sorta hoping it doesn’t come to 3600 unless conditions really improve just to preserve everyone’s sanity.
skor99,

Do you not rebalance based on your AA? If you do, you will be jumping on joy between March and now. And, you will be selling your stock now and buy the bond. What is the problem?

Is your AA = 100/0?

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
Topic Author
skor99

Post by skor99 »

KlangFool wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:17 pm

skor99,

Do you not rebalance based on your AA? If you do, you will be jumping on joy between March and now. And, you will be selling your stock now and buy the bond. What is the problem?

Is your AA = 100/0?

KlangFool
I am actually very conservative with high 50s % in stock, 29 in cash and 12-13 in bonds. I did some rebalancing but couldn’t quite muster up the courage to go 65% stocks when the freefall was on. And before you know it , market is back up to levels that bewilder the mind.
SpiritDitch

Post by SpiritDitch »

During the dip I rebalanced, but I wrote down a plan to lock in some gains after I got back to my current "magic number" or the S&P got to 3200. Today felt close enough so I executed on the plan. A weak form of market timing I guess.
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

I was asleep for a few months. What did I miss?
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon »

The market has a way of smelling BS that other more emotional or political metrics don’t, won’t or can’t.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett
Ferdinand2014

Post by Ferdinand2014 »

skor99 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:48 pm So the market is back up to all-time highs and I’m guessing pretty much everybody’s portfolio is as well. I am feeling relieved for sure, but not sure if there is a lot of happiness at this time with all the uncertainty still around. Covid is still spreading and millions are still without jobs .
There is always uncertainty. You can always come up with scenarios of doom. I do not have social media nor television. I have no interest in the opinions of fortune tellers. I stick to my plan and invest every week. Rain or shine. I feel fine and am very happy.
“You only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out.“ — Warren Buffett
LeslieSmiley

Post by LeslieSmiley »

now is a good time to re-examine your AA in regards to risk tolerance and then rebalance to that AA.

remember how you felt in march before this recovery started. did you wish you had a lower stock AA? did you contemplate selling to avoid the "falling knife"? if so, now is the time to consider shifting to an AA with less equity exposure.
yangtui

Post by yangtui »

skor99 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:48 pm What are folks feeling and what should be the path forward ?
For me as an individual? I am feeling nothing. All of the things that you have mentioned have zero influence on my investment plans. I did just eat some tasty homemade lasagna though. Now I am having my second glass of pinot noir. Things are good.
jibantik

Post by jibantik »

I don't time the market so my path is always the same. Buy the market, the whole market, and nothing but the market as soon as I have the funds to do so :mrgreen:

I am sure a lot of posters here got caught with their pants down and they were trying to time the market. My advice to them is that the best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago, otherwise the best time is today
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

skor99 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:34 pm And before you know it , market is back up to levels that bewilder the mind.
"Nobody knows nothing."
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

Market is up time to feel good and buy again :D ... actually I was lucky enough put a large sum from a real estate sale in on Wednesday....pure dumb luck...Sp500 and total bonds for my simpleton self...if only I were smarter .....nobody knows nothin
rob

Post by rob »

sailaway wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:49 pm I am bewildered, and still sticking to my IPS.
This is where I am... I don't understand it but then I don't need to..... I just have to keep rebalancing one way then the other....
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

If only I could do math I would extract every last dollar from my house through the bank and leverage my holdings
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Personally I appear to be entering into a relationship with TINA.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

gwe67 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:50 pm I was asleep for a few months. What did I miss?
Toilet paper shortage...... :D
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
pseudoiterative

Post by pseudoiterative »

I'm curious how much impact changes in the value of USD have on market indices. E.g. naively if one USD were to halve in value, then we might expect all market indices defined in terms of USD-denominated market caps to double. But there wouldn't really be any fundamental change in the economic situation, just a change in the unit we're using to measure value (assuming that all USD denomimated prices in the economy would double, etc).

It looks like the russell 3000 index is up 13% over the last month since the 6th of May. If we compare the exchange rate of USD against a basket of stock-market-cap-weighted currencies (EUR, JPY, GBP, CHF, CAD, AUD) it looks like the value of 1 USD has fallen by about 3.8% over the same 1 month period. So arguably the net gain of the Russell 3000 index is about 9.2% after adjusting for devaluation of USD in same period.
CardioMD

Post by CardioMD »

I leave my feelings out of investing. I just buy FXAIX as often as possible.
“The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing.” -Jack Bogle
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

How are the “this time it is different!” crowd from early March feeling?

To add: my path hasn’t changed one iota. I still have twice monthly paycheck deductions going to VTSAX and automatic monthly withdrawals going into VSMGX. The *only* interesting thing for me this year, it was the first time I have tax loss harvested.
LeslieSmiley

Post by LeslieSmiley »

Normchad wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:46 pm How are the “this time it is different!” crowd from early March feeling?

To add: my path hasn’t changed one iota. I still have twice monthly paycheck deductions going to VTSAX and automatic monthly withdrawals going into VSMGX. The *only* interesting thing for me this year, it was the first time I have tax loss harvested.
i didn't change anything except for a minor re-balancing from stock to bond this week. but "this time could still be different" so those folks' feeling and opinion could still be valid...
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

skor99 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:34 pm
KlangFool wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:17 pm

skor99,

Is your AA = 100/0?

KlangFool
I am actually very conservative with high 50s % in stock, 29 in cash and 12-13 in bonds. I did some rebalancing but couldn’t quite muster up the courage to go 65% stocks when the freefall was on. And before you know it , market is back up to levels that bewilder the mind.
skor99,

Rebalancing does not mean changing your AA. It means maintaining your AA.

1) It means you would sell bonds/cash to buy the stock in March.

2) It means you would be selling the stock and buying the bond/cash now.

If you cannot do (1) and (2), you should not use the 3-funds portfolio.

<<I am actually very conservative >>

You are inconsistent. It is neither conservative or aggressive. You cannot keep a fixed AA.

<<And before you know it , market is back up to levels that bewilder the mind.>>

If you have an IPS and a fixed AA, you won't care a bit. You just buy and sell based on your IPS. If you cannot do it, you should use a target retirement fund and/or a life strategy fund.

KlangFool
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

pseudoiterative wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:43 pm I'm curious how much impact changes in the value of USD have on market indices. E.g. naively if one USD were to halve in value, then we might expect all market indices defined in terms of USD-denominated market caps to double. But there wouldn't really be any fundamental change in the economic situation, just a change in the unit we're using to measure value (assuming that all USD denomimated prices in the economy would double, etc).

It looks like the russell 3000 index is up 13% over the last month since the 6th of May. If we compare the exchange rate of USD against a basket of stock-market-cap-weighted currencies (EUR, JPY, GBP, CHF, CAD, AUD) it looks like the value of 1 USD has fallen by about 3.8% over the same 1 month period. So arguably the net gain of the Russell 3000 index is about 9.2% after adjusting for devaluation of USD in same period.
pseudoiterative,

Are you worried enough to be prepared?

I bought some Gold and Silver. I do not have to care. I am prepared.

KlangFool
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

LeslieSmiley wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:06 pm now is a good time to re-examine your AA in regards to risk tolerance and then rebalance to that AA.

remember how you felt in march before this recovery started. did you wish you had a lower stock AA? did you contemplate selling to avoid the "falling knife"? if so, now is the time to consider shifting to an AA with less equity exposure.
+1
Good points!

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Rosencrantz1

Post by Rosencrantz1 »

TheTimeLord wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:20 pm Personally I appear to be entering into a relationship with TINA.
Good that there is more than one TINA around - I find myself evaluating TINA more often lately too.

I bought on the way down and back up - - but, the market seems, to me, to be getting pretty pricey now. BUT, I really struggle with 'locking in' 1.xx% returns.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Rosencrantz1 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:31 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:20 pm Personally I appear to be entering into a relationship with TINA.
Good that there is more than one TINA around - I find myself evaluating TINA more often lately too.

I bought on the way down and back up - - but, the market seems, to me, to be getting pretty pricey now. BUT, I really struggle with 'locking in' 1.xx% returns.
Still 5.7% until we hit news highs, I am strapping in for the ride.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

Wouldn’t 3600 cross all bounds of irrational-ity ?
No.

Or, at least, no more so than the March lows.
clown

Post by clown »

I have 4 years expenses in cash, with the rest being 100% in S&P500. No fixed income. Outsize cash position allows me to sleep well, plus I don't have to worry about changes in interest rates (unknowable in advance) and how that will affect fixed income securities. As far as I am concerned, it is like being a spectator at a tennis match. You watch the ball go south-to-north and north-to-south. When equities go down, I can watch from the sidelines. When equities go up, there may be opportunities to replenish the cash fund. Ne result, don't sell equities in a down market.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Good Lord. There are about 10 of these threads a day. Each just as silly as the other.

I'm feeling fine. The market will do what it will do. The economy is getting ready for a roar back as jobs are already recovering significantly. Most of the economy stayed open throughout the crisis and most of the country is reopening now.
Patzer

Post by Patzer »

Normchad wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:46 pm How are the “this time it is different!” crowd from early March feeling?

The people I know in the "this time is different"/"we are doomed" crowd feels like they are getting robbed by misinformation and money printing.
Some gave up and bought back in, some are holding out for another crash.

For me, I thought there would be a bad crash, and there was. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, so I have lagged the market on the way up, but I outperformed it a ton on the way down. Consequently, excluding inflows, my portfolio is up 9.3% this year and sitting at 7% below my target allocation to equity.
I think the market is overpriced right now and is going to correct again by 10% before the end of the month, and I will buy more on that correction. Whether I sell prior to it is still up in the air and depends on how high we go.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

LeslieSmiley wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:06 pm now is a good time to re-examine your AA in regards to risk tolerance and then rebalance to that AA.

I was just thinking about this the other day, but on the other end.

For the dot com crash, I barely had any savings, having only started my 401k at Vanguard a few months earlier. So I did nothing but contribute every paycheck. Meanwhile, my IRA was in CDs at the time.

For the housing crash, I had a decent savings built up. I was maxing my 401k on a $35k income. It was hard eeking things out to contribute and I saw my account balance make a big jump down and then hover for years it felt like. But I never felt the need to stop contributing every paycheck and invested as planned. However, just before the crash I also sold my old house and had just started dollar cost averaging it into the market in a taxable account when the crash happened. So there was significant "buying on the cheap" with that.

For March's crash, I heard about it, updated my numbers once in a while and thought "aww shucks, I went below one of my milestones" and that was it. It didn't bother me IN THE SLIGHTEST that my (essentially) 3-fund portfolio was down. This was really the first time I think I could truly gauge how I would reach to a crash now that I have an upper 6-figure portfolio swinging vs. mid 5-figure one.

So I felt reassured that my AA (73/27) is set just right.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

gwe67 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:50 pm I was asleep for a few months. What did I miss?
Crick-ettes Sampler Gift Pack- Sour Cream and Onion, Bacon and Cheese, Salt and Vinegar-Pack of 3
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Same path as before. I was 45/55 before this crash, I'm 45/55 now that it recovered, and I will be 45/55 going forward, regardless if it crashes again or if it keeps going up.

"Buy and hold" and "stay the course" still apply.

If you discovered your Asset Allocation was too risky, and you couldn't sleep at night, make it more conservative now... But that's forever... Don't change it back later because you think "times are normal now".
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:18 pm

+1
Good points!

j🌺
Indeed, this is a good time to make a permanent change...

I was 66/33 in 2008... Bogleheads helped me "stay the course" during that crash... I never sold...

Once we had recovered, I changed to 50/50 because I recognized that 66/33 had been tough for me to stick with.

Every crash/correction since then at 50/50 has been pretty smooth sailing. So I now know that works for me.

Getting close to retirement so I switched to 45/55 in January (pure luck on the timing), and I plan to be 40/60 when I actually retire.
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Patzer wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:44 pmI think the market is overpriced right now and is going to correct again by 10% before the end of the month, and I will buy more on that correction. Whether I sell prior to it is still up in the air and depends on how high we go.
No one knows enough to accurately predict the market...

It's as simple as that... The sooner you recognize you cannot predict the future, the better.

The Bogleheads plan does not require one to predict the future accurately. Your plan does require you to predict the future accurately.

You might get lucky, but probably not.
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

I lucked out that my "time to rebalance" happened end of March. I feel lucky about that.

Going to stay the course. At some point I'll reexamine what I want my asset allocation to be, but that's appetite and need for risk, not what I think the market is going to do. For the past two months, when I've thought about what I might do on the other side, I'm torn about equally for "maybe I'll have more stocks" and "maybe I'll have fewer stocks" -- a pretty good sign that my allocation is pretty good I think.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.
KingRiggs

Post by KingRiggs »

This is precisely what I have chosen to do. Was at 70/30 when the market dropped. Didn’t sell, actually rebalanced to equities to maintain AA, but did not particularly sleep well. Had decided to re-evaluate my risk tolerance and AA at end of 2020, but the current rally has allowed me to recoup my losses AND move to an AA I think I’ll find more palatable (60/40). :sharebeer
Advice = noun | Advise = verb | | Roth, not ROTH | | "Remember, there's always money in the banana stand." - George Bluth, Sr.
Ari

Post by Ari »

I had to check just now, but it looks like I have some ways to go before recovering my portfolio, even with contributions and a tiny bit of leveraged market timing that earned me some extra money. So ahead of the index, but a fair bit to go before I'm back to my all-time high.

In general, I'm doing what I always doing: buying stocks when I have the money. My income has been slightly reduced due to the pandemic, but I'm still making enough to make decent contributions. Feeling good. It also feels good to know that I went through a bear market, albeit a quick one, with tons of people screaming "sell" without really being tempted to sell. In fact, I leveraged up a few percent, and would probably have leveraged more had the dip been longer. Slightly miffed that I didn't, but hey, nobody knows the future, and I did feel the anxiety a bit. I don't really follow the news, and didn't know anybody losing their jobs (layoffs are just starting to appear here), but I did look at Bogleheads and there was a lot of panic here. In the future, I might want to try to stay away from this site during a bear market, as it seems to generate a lot of negativity. Tune out the noise and all that.

All in all, though, I feel 100% stocks is more or less right for me. Sometimes I feel I ought to have more, and during this crash I did once or twice think about how it would have been to own bonds.

So all in all, my investments are doing fine, I'm doing fine, and I feel it was a good moment to learn from. More than anything, the big lesson of this period is "The market is random. Don't waste your time trying to understand it. Just accept it for what it is." I don't even think of it as a short-term voting machine anymore. That famous quote should be "In the short term the market is a random number generator, but in the long term it's positively skewed."
All in, all the time.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

deleted
Last edited by AerialWombat on Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.