To what Broadband Speeds do you Subscribe and Why?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Cruise

To what Broadband Speeds do you Subscribe and Why?

Post by Cruise »

I currently have a 60 down/5 up plan, which is the basic plan that Spectrum offers in my area. I am considering raising my throughput since my wife and I are at home together and often we simultaneously Zoom. Additionally, we have three security cameras constantly uploading to the cloud. However, I'm planning on installing at least two more cameras.

So, if you would be so kind: What are the broadband speeds to which you subscribe, are they beyond your provider's minimum, and if so, what applications are causing you to increase your base-level subscription services?

Many thanks!
Jags4186

Re: To what Broadband Speeds do you Subscribe and Why?

Post by Jags4186 »

We have 100/100 which is the lowest tier Verizon offers in my area. There are also 300/300 and 1000/1000 tiers.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I get 9/1 on a good day. I think the provider has better service now and one of these days I'll probably call them up and harass them to upgrade us. Never seems to rise to the top of the list of things to do. So far, the rate we have is adequate for what we do.

Every once in a long while I need to upload something large so I drop by the library and beam it up.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

I have 1000/1000, which is my provider's only option (fiber to the home). I pay $65/month.

Working from home full-time now and I can't imagine going below this.
rob

Post by rob »

Jags4186 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:48 pm We have 100/100 which is the lowest tier Verizon offers in my area. There are also 300/300 and 1000/1000 tiers.
Same here... 100/100 is enough most of the time - lots of usage with several games/netflix etc etc going concurrently..... Just the odd upload to new cloud backup provider or somehing where I notice.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I went from 150/10 to 500/25 mid Covid. It did require a DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem upgrade. I purchased my own from Best Buy.

I also re-configured the placement of my Google Wifi 3 ports and where my cable modem is so I can be hard wired for work.

While everyone is streaming TV or doing video streaming for school, I am hard wired. I do find my work VPN is a bottleneck at peak busy times. Not much I can do about that part.

$70/month for cable internet. Not cheap, but worth every penny. I might drop back to 150/10 when this is all over. We will see. It is $10/month less.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

100/10 Mbps, which is the most basic package offered by my ISP. I have no need for any higher bandwidth.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

rob wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:27 pm
Jags4186 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:48 pm We have 100/100 which is the lowest tier Verizon offers in my area. There are also 300/300 and 1000/1000 tiers.
Same here... 100/100 is enough most of the time - lots of usage with several games/netflix etc etc going concurrently..... Just the odd upload to new cloud backup provider or somehing where I notice.
I'm curious what folks are doing where they think they need so much more bandwidth. I suppose if you are regularly downloading or uploading very large files 1000/1000 is good, but we regularly have two 4k streams going, plus other various internet things going on and never notice a blip.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

30 mbps, but the ISP "upgraded" that to 50 mbps for free during the pandemic. You will not see a significant benefit from going above 60 mbps - for one thing, higher tiers often have the same upload speed. And Zoom doesn't use that much bandwidth - I think it's well under 10 mbps per session even with the max number of participants on video at the same time.

I wrote this in another thread but applies here: Most people way overestimate how much internet bandwidth they need, spurred by misinformation from the ISPs that tell you 30-50 Mbps is only good enough for "basic browsing for 1-2 devices" or some such nonsense. We had 30 mbps before (now 50, free upgrade) and that was enough to stream a 4K movie, or 5 simultaneous streams of full HD Netflix. And, any data caps generally apply regardless of your speed. In most cases when people complain about their internet, the real problem is the wi-fi.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Funny - you asked what broadband "Speed" everyone has - what you really meant, and what everyone is answering with is the "Bandwidth" :)

Of course all the ISPs say "Speed" too even though they aren't changing the speed (typically) - the latency stays the same - only the bandwidth is increased (which only helps if you are over-running the lower tiers of bandwidth causing congestion).

We have 1Gbps/1Gbps of bandwidth. Speed is about the same as when I had 100Mbps/100Mbps. I expense it through my company so went for the gusto (been a WFH employee for several years now). Would drop down to 100/100 if paying myself (although I currently have a special deal whereby the 1Gbps is actually cheaper).

The ISPs were giving more download than upload for years figuring you needed more bandwidth for streaming TV/video/etc. BUT now with folks feeding out video (Zoom, cameras, etc.) that's not always the case and yet many ISPs haven't changed their models.
Last edited by SmileyFace on Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

More on Speed versus Bandwidth:

Speed is what they decided to market to you all. It's really the Bandwidth changes you are paying for. The Speed may only become a problem for you if you are using more bandwidth than you are paying for.

Think of the bandwidth decision this way (since we are all familiar with driving):
If you can only drive 55 Mph across the country - how can you get from the Point A and Point B any faster? Provided you have a CLEAR path between Point A and Point B you simply can't get there any faster - you are going 55 Mph - period. But if I am driving on a one-lane road the entire path and there are a lot of cars coming on and off I may get stuck in backups along the way such that I can no longer go 55 Mph. If this is the case I might be able to replace the one-lane road with a 10-lane highway such that everyone can travel 55 Mph again. The 10-lane highway might have been overkill - maybe a 3-lane highway, or a 2-lane highway may have been sufficient. But it's not the size of the road that provides me with additional speed - same way that the bandwidth you pay for does not either. You just need to make sure the bandwidth you are paying for is enough to carry your traffic without too much congestion (which then could slow you down). So if you aren't having any speed issues - don't think that increasing - and paying for more "bandwidth" (mislabeled Speed by your carriers/ISPs) will have things running any faster for you.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

I have 60/25 by MediaCom via cable (just internet, no TV). The datacap is 400 MBytes per month.

A new company to our area just announced that they will lay fiber in my neighborhood, and the initial cost
for 1Gbps up and down is less than my current 60/25. Even if it doubles after one year, I would likely go that route,
assuming I don't have a insanely low datacap.

I am at home during the pandemic, but am used to 1Gbps both up and down to my office, and 10, 40 and 100 Gbps
in the datacenter, so I have been spoiled.

There seems to be no end to the increasing need for bandwidth. 30 years ago I was at a research University which
had a single dedicated 56 Kbps line shared by the entire University.
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

I am at 350/12.5 with Comcast, no cap. If a FTTH service were available I'd take it due to lower latency over optical media versus copper media. Latency is time taken for data to transmit/receive. Bandwidth is a measurement of data volume (bits, megabits) over time (seconds usually).

I don't know if you will find any benefit to increasing above 60 Mbps. It seems like you could focus your efforts on cleaning up WiFi at your house. Have you run a speed test on a wired versus a wireless interface on your cable modem/router?

I have been at this tier since it was 200/12.5. Comcast upgraded my tier automatically. I rely on my connection pretty heavily for consulting and WFH.

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 90-100% VTSAX piled high and deep, 0-10% VIGAX tilt, 0% given away to banks, minimize amount given to medical-industrial complex
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

30 down, 5 up.

Multiple devices, streaming, video calls all at once. Have zero need for more speed. Handles everything we need.

$44.99 per month. Cheapest package offered.

Arizona COX
warner25

Post by warner25 »

HawkeyePierce wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:25 pm I have 1000/1000, which is my provider's only option (fiber to the home). I pay $65/month. Working from home full-time now and I can't imagine going below this.
02nz wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:43 pm...Most people way overestimate how much internet bandwidth they need...
Yeah... $65 for symmetric 1 Gbps is a fantastic deal, but it's hard for me to imagine a single household utilizing that. HawkeyePierce, you really think your work would be hampered by anything slower? As of a couple years ago, it was my understanding that the entire Georgetown University main campus was connected to the Internet through only a pair of 1 Gbps lines.
DaftInvestor wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:50 pmThe ISPs were giving more download than upload for years figuring you needed more bandwidth for streaming TV/video/etc. BUT now with folks feeding out video (Zoom, cameras, etc.) that's not always the case and yet many ISPs haven't changed their models.
This is unfortunate, and it means I'm really paying for upload bandwidth. My current ISP offers a very lopsided max of only 35 Mbps up with 1 Gbps down (for $299 per month... so I only pay $50 for 200/10). I have happily streamed SD Netflix at 3 Mbps, but backing up a few hundred photos and videos to the cloud at that bandwidth can be painful.
FrankTheViking

Post by FrankTheViking »

100 down 10 up
$55 per month
I'm a filthy millennial so I got to have that speed. That being said I grew up with dial up, as a late teen parents got wifi and had less than 5 mbps down. Worked for me. Now having my own place, the 100/10 is INSANE. I probably take internet for granted but not the speed that's for sure. Actually tried to downgrade recently to 25/2.5 to save a little money but for the company I go through 100/10 is now considered a "Starter" package. Can't complain... very happily still paying.
No EF. 80% Total U.S. / 20% Total International. 100% equity. Is there a gun to your head? Is there a tiger in the room? No? What's the problem?
onourway

Post by onourway »

Switched recently from 100/10 to 400/20. We have 5 people in the home often on video calls, streaming media, etc all simultaneously. I monitor bandwidth usage pretty closely and honestly there isn’t much of any practical difference. We still peak out below 10Mbps upload the vast majority of the time even with 5 simultaneous video calls. Offsite backups are a bit faster, and some bursty downloads are faster, if the device can actually connect wirelessly faster than 100Mbps - many can - we get 200-500Mbps wireless throughout most of the home - but again, little practical difference.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

500 down, 30 up, which in practice is ~535/45. $54.95/mo, to the penny (no taxes or other crap). Why? It was only $10 more than 200/15, which was lower than the package I was paying $85 for at my previous provider.

It definitely comes in handy, as my son downloads a ton of games, so that happens ridiculously fast, and doesn't impact two people working from home and multiple streams happening at the same time. Have also had to download multiple terabytes of backups for work, and the job kept timing out if I ran it from the office over its 100Mbps fiber. No problem at home.
Topic Author
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Many thanks to all who have replied. What a great fount of knowledge.
DaftInvestor wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:58 pm Speed is what they decided to market to you all. It's really the Bandwidth changes you are paying for. The Speed may only become a problem for you if you are using more bandwidth than you are paying for.
Thanks for that. Are you defining "speed" as latency or ping? I've not heard of any company charging for different layers of that.

I'm assuming that that if I go from 5 Up to 10 or 20 up, what I am really paying for is a wide-open freeway where my multiple device uploads won't get into a bottleneck, or at least less likely. Would this be an appropriate expectation?

TheDDC wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:11 pm I am at 350/12.5 with Comcast, no cap. If a FTTH service were available I'd take it due to lower latency over optical media versus copper media. Latency is time taken for data to transmit/receive. Bandwidth is a measurement of data volume (bits, megabits) over time (seconds usually).

I don't know if you will find any benefit to increasing above 60 Mbps. It seems like you could focus your efforts on cleaning up WiFi at your house. Have you run a speed test on a wired versus a wireless interface on your cable modem/router?

I have been at this tier since it was 200/12.5. Comcast upgraded my tier automatically. I rely on my connection pretty heavily for consulting and WFH.

-TheDDC
Cleaned up my Wifi this past week by installing an Orbi mesh system. Blazing speeds/much more reliable compared to my older system. My Apple TV no longer buffers (YES!!)

I've since run the Speed Test on wired/wireless, and most of the time it is pretty similar (wireless right now is 65.1 mbps/5.01mbps/84ms)

Main concern right now is that I will be installing two more wireless security cameras, and I am assuming (let me know if that is ok) that increasing upload speeds will lead to better performance for my 5 camera system--and also allow me to record at high bandwidth settings per Nest--and allow smooth simultaneous Zoom conferences .

Many thanks.
MarkRoulo

Post by MarkRoulo »

onourway wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:27 pm Switched recently from 100/10 to 400/20. We have 5 people in the home often on video calls, streaming media, etc all simultaneously. I monitor bandwidth usage pretty closely and honestly there isn’t much of any practical difference. We still peak out below 10Mbps upload the vast majority of the time even with 5 simultaneous video calls. Offsite backups are a bit faster, and some bursty downloads are faster, if the device can actually connect wirelessly faster than 100Mbps - many can - we get 200-500Mbps wireless throughout most of the home - but again, little practical difference.
This.

I'll address bandwidth.

A DVD holds up to about 4.7 GB of compressed video data (and no one sane sends uncompressed video over the internet).

And a DVD movie can come to 2 hours with no problems.

4.7 GB/7,200 sec = 4.7 MB/7.2 sec ~= 0.65 MB/sec ~= 5 Mbit/sec

You need about 5 Mbit/sec to stream video at DVD quality.

Zoom doesn't do that. I hope that the security cameras don't, either.

So 60 Mbit/sec down and 5 Mbit/sec up is probably fine for almost everything normal.

If you expect to download video game patches regularly and just can't wait, more bandwidth might be noticeable.

But Netflix and Zoom? I doubt it.

Now ... if the brochure *SAYS* 60/5 and you are really getting 3/0.2, then sure you might want to upgrade.

But a legit 60/5 should be fine for almost everything.
MarkRoulo

Post by MarkRoulo »

Cruise wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:04 pm Many thanks to all who have replied. What a great fount of knowledge.
DaftInvestor wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:58 pm Speed is what they decided to market to you all. It's really the Bandwidth changes you are paying for. The Speed may only become a problem for you if you are using more bandwidth than you are paying for.
Thanks for that. Are you defining "speed" as latency or ping? I've not heard of any company charging for different layers of that.

I'm assuming that that if I go from 5 Up to 10 or 20 up, what I am really paying for is a wide-open freeway where my multiple device uploads won't get into a bottleneck, or at least less likely. Would this be an appropriate expectation?
That is a bad assumption.

You are paying for more bandwidth to your ISP. You don't necessarily get more bandwidth to the sites you want to reach. So unless your ISP is also your provider for security cameras, no, you are not paying for a "wide-open freeway." You are paying for a clearer shot to get TO the freeway.
meebers

Post by meebers »

Jags4186 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:41 pm
I'm curious what folks are doing where they think they need so much more bandwidth. I suppose if you are regularly downloading or uploading very large files 1000/1000 is good, but we regularly have two 4k streams going, plus other various internet things going on and never notice a blip.
I have 60/5 but currently gives me 85/7. Bill for internet is 69.95 but switched to fiber 940/940 for $5.00 less. :shock:
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

We pay for Gigabit Fios, nominally 1Gbps up and 1 Gbps down. It was possibly overkill, but it doesn’t cost that much more than lower bandwidth.

My wife works from home and often has streaming video going, plus sending and receiving substantial files. I hope that next month our son and his GF will quaranteam with us, so 3 heavy WFH users. I’m glad we got gigabit.

ETA: PS, the house has 9 eero mesh nodes, the pool has one Apple AirPort Extreme, and the garage/office has an Orbi router with two satellites. Bring it on!
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
somber

Post by somber »

I pay $57 a month for 768 kbps DSL. Best I can get here. For a very limited amount of data (25 GB/ month) I can use my cell as hotspot and get nearly 8 Mbps down, but 25 GB cap isn't even enough to download Fallout 4 from Steam. So it took almost 4 days to download it on my DSL connection. I live in a very rural area.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

100/10, which is the lowest that Cox offers in our area.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

100/100 Fios. 200 is a free upgrade but requires a tech to come out for that change so I haven't bothered. It's enough to never notice unless I'm downloading 10+ GB files and that's super rare.

I'd definitely bump that upload speed you have, though. That's pretty low for simultaneous video feeds, photo uploads, cloud backups, etc.
jpelder

Post by jpelder »

I have 200 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload. This is the "standard" package with Spectrum in our area. They might offer a cheaper plan, but I'm not sure about that. Getting a mesh WiFi system (looks like you did this) has solved all usage needs. Wife and I can stream video or be on videoconferences at the same time with no lag, buffer, or other issues.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

200 / 10 Mbps. It's sufficient to browse Bogleheads and WSB at the same time.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

20/3 on a double-line DSL and 40/5 on the cable connection. These are the fastest speeds available here. I work entirely online, so need speed and backup.
Last edited by AerialWombat on Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DillPickleAvalanche

Post by DillPickleAvalanche »

I moved to a new home in March, and I subscribed to Comcast 100/5 mbps at $39.99 a month for the first 12 months. In April, I saw an ad for 200/5 mbps from Comcast at the same price. I called customer service, and a super helpful agent was able to apply that same deal to my account, doubling my download bandwidth at no cost.

I was already pretty happy with 100 mbps, and I find that I can sustain multiple high-def streams with no trouble at both 100 mbps and 200 mbps.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

3 Mbps down / 0.75 Mbps up - the fastest available where I am.

To answer some common questions:

Netflix plays fine on auto quality. The limits of resolution and occasional compression artifacts are subtly visible on a 51" screen at 10' if I look for it. I don't usually notice it if I'm not looking for it.

Youtube plays 720 content without buffering most of the time. It usually buffers intermittently for 1080.

FPS games play ok, but my ping is typically around 100ms, and if my wife is browsing on her phone while I'm playing, I get intermittent choke every time she loads a new page.

Large operating system updates can mostly saturate the connection for hours.

Working for home is difficult. I would not think the slow speed would cause VPN connection dropouts, but that happens to me sometimes. The more consistent problem is the time it takes to load files. Also, if I try to save anything larger than 2-3 MB to the network, it fails, probably due to an SMB timeout.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Cruise wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:04 pm Many thanks to all who have replied. What a great fount of knowledge.

It's not that they charge for "speed" but its the way they advertise "Bandwidth" I was trying to point out. If you look at all the junk you get in the mail and advertisements online many says things like "Upgrade to High Speed Internet" when what they are offering you is an increase in bandwidth.
Speed can be defined as how long it takes for a ping to come back and/or how short the latency is between data sent and data received - point I was trying to make is that they aren't (in general, there are some protocol tricks they play/etc.) changing the speed of light (or speed of signal along the wire) - those are physics - they are changing HOW much bandwidth you are getting. The more bandwidth you have the less likely you are to bottleneck but if you aren't bottlenecking today you simply might not need anymore. You might also have your own bottlenecks that are constraining your bandwidth as well (e.g. I talked to someone that upgraded to 1Gbps/1Gbps service and was expecting "Higher Speed" but they were using an older wifi router through which all their devices were connecting - the single slow wifi connection was their bottleneck not the 1Gbps service since it had less bandwidth).
ensign_lee

Post by ensign_lee »

1000/1000from ATT Fiber. Realistically, I get about 800/800

Why? It was the same price as the 300 down plan ($60/month) and now I no longer have a data cap. As a nice bonus, I got HBO Max included for free recently.

Realistically, as one person living in a house, I could never dream of saturating 1000 down. A 4k stream, the most bandwidth hungry thing I can think of, would take 25 mbps at most, so 2.5% of the 1000 down.

I have 5 Nest Cams and I suppose they use a lot of my upload, but even then, that's more about my data cap than about my bandwidth speeds. I also run a full bitcoin node, but again, that's really a constraint on my data cap, not my bandwidth for upload or download.

But as long as this promotion reigns, I am staying on 1000 down just to say I have it lol.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Jags4186 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:41 pm
I think in most cases because people have no understanding of what they are getting and are going by the "more must be better".

1000 Mbps (or 1GB/s) means you can stream roughly 40 4K video streams. Huge overkill for 99%+ of the people out there but like a lot of stuff you can't convince them they don't need it. Kind of like if one vitamin is good, more must be better.
Topic Author
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Thanks for all the great responses. I learn alot from this community!

I looked at the amount of information that each of my Nest cameras purport to transmit in their highest-fidelity band, which is 300GB per month. My math translates this as 1.157 mbps per camera. So if I have a five camera system, that would take 5.787 mbps bandwidth to handle the throughput. If my math and understanding of the upload speeds approaches reality, my current upload speed limit of 5.0 mbps should be upgraded, especially since we also have the multiple Zoom meetings occurring as well as other wireless applications.

Am I on track?

Many thanks!
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

It is very simple.

I always buy one level above the cheapest tier. Why? Everyone else is running at the lowest tier. If you are one level above, you get very good service (better than 90+% folks) with a slight increase in price. You have the best deal.

The service provider does not have a perfect system to prioritize one group of people above others. It costs them too much to be that granular. So, if you are one level above the cheapest tier, you probably running as well as the rest of the higher tier folks.

KlangFool
Topic Author
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

KlangFool wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:35 pm I always buy one level above the cheapest tier. Why? Everyone else is running at the lowest tier. If you are one level above, you get very good service (better than 90+% folks) with a slight increase in price. You have the best deal.

KlangFool
I like that philosophy and often practice it. Thanks for the reminder. :)
cacophony

Post by cacophony »

I have 80 Mbps down / 5 Mbps up and do the following without any issue:

- 4K HDR Netflix/Amazon/Youtube streaming
- Simultaneous video conference calls at the same time as using a remote desktop GUI

YMMV but most people probably don't benefit from more bandwidth. That said if I could get fiber for a small additional charge I certainly would. :D
Last edited by cacophony on Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

400 down in order to get unlimited data.
MarkRoulo

Post by MarkRoulo »

Cruise wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:21 pm Thanks for all the great responses. I learn alot from this community!

I looked at the amount of information that each of my Nest cameras purport to transmit in their highest-fidelity band, which is 300GB per month. My math translates this as 1.157 mbps per camera. So if I have a five camera system, that would take 5.787 mbps bandwidth to handle the throughput. If my math and understanding of the upload speeds approaches reality, my current upload speed limit of 5.0 mbps should be upgraded, especially since we also have the multiple Zoom meetings occurring as well as other wireless applications.

Am I on track?

Many thanks!
I think you are on track.

Nest claims to reduce the bandwidth it uses if other devices are contending for the bandwidth, though, so if you are okay with the Nest reducing the video fidelity when you are home Zooming then even 5 Mbps is probably enough (assuming you actually get the 5).

Can you try things out with your current setup and upgrade if you have Zoom issues?
_james

Post by _james »

Cruise wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:45 pm
KlangFool wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:35 pm I always buy one level above the cheapest tier. Why? Everyone else is running at the lowest tier. If you are one level above, you get very good service (better than 90+% folks) with a slight increase in price. You have the best deal.
KlangFool
I like that philosophy and often practice it. Thanks for the reminder. :)
Isn't buying one above the bottom (i.e. the middle) the goal of the most sales marketing? Present a customer with multiple choices to convince them choose the middle price. The lowest option appears too low and the highest option appears to expensive.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

KlangFool wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:35 pm The service provider does not have a perfect system to prioritize one group of people above others. It costs them too much to be that granular. So, if you are one level above the cheapest tier, you probably running as well as the rest of the higher tier folks.
I guess it depends on what you mean by prioritize.

My cable provider can absolutely provide upgrades to higher tiers of service that allow for faster download speeds during periods of average network traffic. However, what I can't buy is a package for is better reliability, better speeds during periods of network congestion, lower latency, better reliability, or better customer service. If their offering doesn't meet my needs in those categories, I have to move to another provider, if one is even available.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

whodidntante wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:07 pm
KlangFool wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:35 pm The service provider does not have a perfect system to prioritize one group of people above others. It costs them too much to be that granular. So, if you are one level above the cheapest tier, you probably running as well as the rest of the higher tier folks.

My cable provider can absolutely provide upgrades to higher tiers of service that allow for faster download speeds during periods of average network traffic. However, what I can't buy is a package for is better reliability, better speeds during periods of network congestion, lower latency, better reliability, or better customer service. If their offering doesn't meet my needs in those categories, I have to move to another provider, if one is even available.
whodidntante,

<<My cable provider >>

That answers most of your questions. I do not buy my Internet access from the cable provider. They are regulated and held to a different standard than a traditional Telecom provider. For example, they do not pay a penalty if your Internet service is down for more than 4 hours. I would not count on them if I need to work from home and/or running my business from home.

KlangFool
onourway

Post by onourway »

KlangFool wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:14 pm
whodidntante,

<<My cable provider >>

That answers most of your questions. I do not buy my Internet access from the cable provider. They are regulated and held to a different standard than a traditional Telecom provider. For example, they do not pay a penalty if your Internet service is down for more than 4 hours. I would not count on them if I need to work from home and/or running my business from home.

KlangFool
LOL. Around us you are lucky to get an unreliable 10Mbps from Verizon or the other local telecoms whereas Spectrum offers up to 1Gbps and our total down time over 15 years in this house can be measured in hours!
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

whodidntante wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:07 pm

whodidntante,

<<My cable provider >>

KlangFool
Then you're pretty lucky to have options.

Well, I have options too. But none are really worth considering. Mobile data, pay a fortune for OC-3, or I construct an affront to nature on my lawn to gain LOS microwave radio access in my corner of America.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

onourway wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:20 pm
whodidntante,

<<My cable provider >>

KlangFool
LOL. Around us you are lucky to get an unreliable 10Mbps from Verizon or the other local telecoms whereas Spectrum offers up to 1Gbps and our total down time over 15 years in this house can be measured in hours!
onourway,

If you can measure your downtime in hours, you had proven my point. I cannot remember when my Verizon service (Fiber or DSL) was down.

KlangFool
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

DaftInvestor wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:50 pm Funny - you asked what broadband "Speed" everyone has - what you really meant, and what everyone is answering with is the "Bandwidth" :)

Of course all the ISPs say "Speed" too even though they aren't changing the speed (typically) - the latency stays the same - only the bandwidth is increased (which only helps if you are over-running the lower tiers of bandwidth causing congestion).

We have 1Gbps/1Gbps of bandwidth. Speed is about the same as when I had 100Mbps/100Mbps. I expense it through my company so went for the gusto (been a WFH employee for several years now). Would drop down to 100/100 if paying myself (although I currently have a special deal whereby the 1Gbps is actually cheaper).

The ISPs were giving more download than upload for years figuring you needed more bandwidth for streaming TV/video/etc. BUT now with folks feeding out video (Zoom, cameras, etc.) that's not always the case and yet many ISPs haven't changed their models.
Speed is bandwidth, not latency. At least that's how the term is used by the ISPs themselves and the most common CS textbook on networking in the US.
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

5/1mbps because of the low cost. Can do everything I want. Stream video, audio, surf.
onourway

Post by onourway »

KlangFool wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:58 pm
onourway wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:20 pm
whodidntante,

<<My cable provider >>

KlangFool
onourway,

If you can measure your downtime in hours, you had proven my point. I cannot remember when my Verizon service (Fiber or DSL) was down.

KlangFool
That’s great. The point is service quality is local. There is no one service provider that is the best everywhere. I have helped numerous neighbors, family members, co-workers, and friends deal with Verizon DSL in this area over the decades and speeds have always been low, inconsistent, with monthly, if not weekly outages. We have had Verizon in our office for decades as well, first multiple T1 lines, then fiber, and it has again, not been as reliable as my cable service at home, at approximately 20 times the cost.
beyou

Post by beyou »

I used to manage IT for a small company where I dealt with telecom (and all) vendors.
Verizon had MANY outages. Often on a Friday our internet service would go down, leaving my customers unable to access our online services. I would call for service, sometimes they would say "too late on a Friday, we'll take a look Monday". Occurred so many times, I setup a new primary service using fiber from the business side of our local cable co, leaving Verizon as a backup for redundancy. Cable company was FAR more reliable. I had to threaten to break a multi-year Verizon contract and stop paying monthly fees to Verizon to get their attention. In the end, they were so incompetent and unresponsive that even lack of payment and loss of business didn't get action. Yes I could have raised regulatory investigation but all I wanted was functioning internet service, not penalties for Verizon. If you have an alternative, best to try it. If not then regulation is your best option to get help.

In my home I have kept the consumer cable internet (not fiber) over Verizon FIOS, due to my bad service experience with Verizon, and the many FIOS billing complaints online. If my cable company can't provide good service at a competitive price I would possibly try FIOS, but have not been forced to yet.

Upload speed is slow compared to FIOS but my cable co is rolling out last mile fiber to the home so they should improve it at some point. Right now that is for new customers only. May have to go to Verizon if I want fiber, switch back later when available from cable, though as of now my coax service works almost all the time. Not enough outages to complain, and when they do occur, they don't tell me that they don't work weekends like Verizon did years ago.
For now my 10 meg upload is not hindering me from using zoom. 200 download is much more than I need. $42/mo