New Tires or New Car?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
justsomeguy2018

New Tires or New Car?

Post by justsomeguy2018 » Sun May 24, 2020 10:36 am

One single tire on 2013 68k mileage AWD vehicle has to be replaced, so really all 4 tires have to be replaced bc it is AWD. Estimated cost $1000-$1200? Tires have 7/32" tread, so maybe about 3 years of life left (don't drive it much). The tires need to be replaced for sure because the car is not safe to drive otherwise, particularly at high speeds on the highway (risk of blowout).

I understand it seems like a no-brainer to just get the new tires but a couple of thoughts:

(1) This car has been kind of a lemon so it is not a car I anticipate "driving til the wheels fall off"; a service provider once told me he would not keep this brand of car past 80,000 miles because they are so prone to problems.

(2) Have been interested in getting a bigger vehicle to accommodate growing family, but it definitely isn't a necessity at the moment (current car is a small/mid size SUV). Plus bc of past issues with this car also just eager to be rid of it.

(3) Purely emotional but it annoys me to have exchange 3 perfectly good tires just because 1 tire went bad (another reason this car annoys me - what if this same thing happens again to a single tire?)

(4) I know this will be the case even with a replacement vehicle, but the longer we keep current car the more it will continue to lose value, and as I mentioned I don't think it is a car that will last a long time like a Toyota or Nissan; I anticipate about $3k-$3.5k in depreciation over next 2 years.

Other considerations:
(1) in current pandemic, WFH will last til end of year; so not much driving will be done for the next 7 months or longer
(2) given current employment climate, new car note is another monthly expense/liability
(3) though a bigger vehicle would be useful and may eventually be needed, at the moment it isn't absolute necessary at the moment

notinuse

Re: New Tires or New Car?

Post by notinuse » Sun May 24, 2020 10:45 am

Another option would be to buy one tire of the same brand, model and size as the three good tires. Have a tire shop shave the tread so the new tire tread depth matches the other three. Spend a few hundred bucks instead of $1000+ to get the car back on the road. Then decide what you want to do with it.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sun May 24, 2020 10:56 am

What is the car model?

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sun May 24, 2020 10:56 am

Find cheaper tires. Check Walmart, etc.

Also, check for a tire shop that sells used tires. They may have 4 with similar tread depth.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun May 24, 2020 10:57 am

You were evasive about the type of car it is which often suggests that there is more to the story.

What type of car is it? That could be important.
notinuse wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:45 am
Another option would be to buy one tire of the same brand, model and size as the three good tires. Have a tire shop shave the tread so the new tire tread depth matches the other three. Spend a few hundred bucks instead of $1000+ to get the car back on the road. Then decide what you want to do with it.
+1

Trying to sell or trade in the car with a bad tire will cost you more.
justsomeguy2018 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:36 am
new car note is another monthly expense/liability
Save up to be able to pay cash for your next car.

Taking out a car loan to replace a seven year old car with less than 70k miles would be hard for me to do.
Last edited by Watty on Sun May 24, 2020 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sun May 24, 2020 10:57 am

Nate79 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:56 am
What is the car model?
I am going to take a wild guess that this is a BMW X5... Or maybe a Cayenne or Land Rover :)

Topic Author
justsomeguy2018

Post by justsomeguy2018 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:07 am

runner3081 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:57 am
Nate79 wrote:
What is the car model?
I am going to take a wild guess that this is a BMW X5... Or maybe a Cayenne or Land Rover :)
Bingo. Land Rover.

Topic Author
justsomeguy2018

Post by justsomeguy2018 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:08 am

Nate79 wrote:
What is the car model?
Land Rover

Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:11 am

Does the car have a full size spare?

If so leave the spare on the car and purchase a cheaper new spare, or get one used for the spare. Then get rid of the vehicle.

If it doesn't have a full size spare replace it with a cheap new or used tire and trade the car in.
Perhaps try to trade it in as is with the space saver on it.

In any case, sounds like you don't want to keep the vehicle, fix by the cheapest avenue, and get rid of it.

Topic Author
justsomeguy2018

Post by justsomeguy2018 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:12 am

Watty wrote:
You were evasive about the type of car it is which often suggests that there is more to the story.

What type of car is it? That could be important.
notinuse wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:45 am
+1

Trying to sell or trade in the car with a bad tire will cost you more.
justsomeguy2018 wrote:
new car note is another monthly expense/liability
Save up to be able to pay cash for your next car.

Taking out a car loan to replace a seven year old car with less than 70k miles would be hard for me to do.
Nah there isn't anything more to the story. It is a Land Rover.

I have the cash to pay for a new car but I would rather hold onto the cash or invest it. Counting trade in value I would probably put about $18,000 towards the vehicle and finance the rest. Rates are super low right now, why would I want to tie all my cash up into a vehicle. Yes there would be an interest expense but I would probably pay the car off early anyway.

Topic Author
justsomeguy2018

Post by justsomeguy2018 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:16 am

Chuck107 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:11 am

If so leave the spare on the car and purchase a cheaper new spare, or get one used for the spare. Then get rid of the vehicle.

If it doesn't have a full size spare replace it with a cheap new or used tire and trade the car in.

In any case, sounds like you don't want to keep the vehicle, fix by the cheapest avenue, and get rid of it.
I don't think it does.

The tire guys told me I could just replace the single tire but eventually it could screw up the transmission so they wouldn't recommend driving it for more than 2,000 miles.

Shaving the tread is an interesting option, are there any downsides to that?

Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:22 am

justsomeguy2018 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:16 am
Chuck107 wrote:

I don't think it does.

The tire guys told me I could just replace the single tire but eventually it could screw up the transmission so they wouldn't recommend driving it for more than 2,000 miles.

I have no experience with the shaving of tires, I don't even know who to ask about that.

What about just trading it in as is now?

Edit
Tire rack, apparently will do it for about 30 bucks plus the cost of the tire. https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Tire%20Shaving

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Sun May 24, 2020 11:26 am

I would just replace them all for $1k. Tires are probably the most important aspect of your vehicle, followed by the driver and then vehicle itself.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

galawdawg

Post by galawdawg » Sun May 24, 2020 11:30 am

It's hardly a "new tires or new car" decision. You've got to buy at least one tire anyway. So either buy one of the same brand and model as the other three and have the tread shaved as previously suggested. (https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Shaving)

Or, a quick online search on Discount Tire and Tire Rack shows you should be able to purchase a set of four for under $800 installed.

Then you can decide if you want to get rid of the Land Rover and purchase a different vehicle. But either way, you've got to get your Land Rover roadworthy.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun May 24, 2020 11:39 am

justsomeguy2018 wrote:
(1) This car has been kind of a lemon so it is not a car I anticipate "driving til the wheels fall off"; a service provider once told me he would not keep this brand of car past 80,000 miles because they are so prone to problems.
justsomeguy2018 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:07 am
runner3081 wrote:
Nate79 wrote:
What is the car model?
Bingo. Land Rover.
With a Land Rover I would replace all the tires since you only have 7/32" left, that should help some on the resale.

You sound pretty fed up with it so it would be good to wait a few months to calm down then watch to see what car deals there are in the late summer. It is hard to guess what will happen with the car market and the pandemic but there could be some good deals then.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Sun May 24, 2020 11:41 am

Buy a new set of tires,it is an expected cost of ownership.

Keep one of the old tires if you expect the same problem will happen again.

notinuse

Post by notinuse » Sun May 24, 2020 11:49 am

justsomeguy2018 wrote:
Chuck107 wrote:

I don't think it does.

The only downside I'm aware of is a reduced number of miles left in the tire due to less tread being available. If you're trading it in, it's the cheapest option I can think of. The dealer accepting the car only cares if the tires are good, and 7/32" tread depth is fine. If you plan to keep the car long term, buying four new tires is a reasonable consideration.

galawdawg

Post by galawdawg » Sun May 24, 2020 11:54 am

You may also want to look at what the new tread depth is for the brand and model of tire that is currently on your vehicle. It appears that you can replace a single tire of an AWD vehicle if the tread depth difference is no more than 3/32" between the existing tires and the new tire. New tires are usually 10/32" or 11/32" tread depth. So if your tire brand and model has a 10/32" tread depth when new, you may be okay just to replace one if the existing tires are 7/32" remaining.

I'm not suggesting that is the best approach, just something you can consider.

Topic Author
justsomeguy2018

Post by justsomeguy2018 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:57 am

galawdawg wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:54 am
You may also want to look at what the new tread depth is for the brand and model of tire that is currently on your vehicle. It appears that you can replace a single tire of an AWD vehicle if the tread depth difference is no more than 3/32" between the existing tires and the new tire. New tires are usually 10/32" or 11/32" tread depth. So if your tire brand and model has a 10/32" tread depth when new, you may be okay just to replace one if the existing tires are 7/32" remaining.

I'm not suggesting that is the best approach, just something you can consider.
Yeah good point, I read with AWD the difference should be no more than 2/32". Also one of the tires is 6/32". The new tire tread would be 10/32".

Topic Author
justsomeguy2018

Post by justsomeguy2018 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:59 am

finite_difference wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:26 am
I would just replace them all for $1k. Tires are probably the most important aspect of your vehicle, followed by the driver and then vehicle itself.
Question: That price is for a good set of tires.

If I don't plan on keeping this car long anyway, does it make sense to get the budget tires instead? Would be maybe 60% of the cost.

jpelder

Post by jpelder » Sun May 24, 2020 12:04 pm

One option is to buy 4 new tires, but to keep the 3 old tires that are still good, either as spares or to sell to a used tire dealer. You won't recoup the whole price of the new tire replacements, but it'll soften the blow.

galawdawg

Post by galawdawg » Sun May 24, 2020 12:10 pm

justsomeguy2018 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:59 am
finite_difference wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:26 am
Question: That price is for a good set of tires.

If I don't plan on keeping this car long anyway, does it make sense to get the budget tires instead? Would be maybe 60% of the cost.
I'm seeing well-respected and well-rated brand name tires (UTQG A rated traction and A rated temperature, 600 or better treadwear) with excellent reviews for your year, make and model vehicle for about $175 (plus tax and installation).

Even if you are planning on selling the vehicle, I'd stick with known brands.

hudson

Post by hudson » Sun May 24, 2020 12:11 pm

justsomeguy2018

If I could fix it by adding just one tire, that's what I would do.
If I figured the solution was to add a new set of tires at $1100...not a huge deal.
I disregard all rules of thumb and advice from people at dealerships.
I would drive it until the wheels fall off....or 10 years minimum.
I usually follow the wheels fall off/10 year++ rule of thumb myself, but if I wanted to dump a vehicle and buy a new one, I don't need a reason except that I want to.
You aren't required to take out a loan to buy a new car unless you want to :) I don't buy into borrow low and invest the difference.

Bottom Line: It's your call...but you already knew that :)
Last edited by hudson on Sun May 24, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker » Sun May 24, 2020 12:14 pm

If you are not driving much, buying a new car will just lead to taking the steepest part of the depreciation while the car mostly is sitting.

If you want to replace the vehicle, I’d bet there may be some great deals late summer or early fall when 2021 models arrive and dealers have a logjam of unsold 2020 models. If the car will be sitting, let it sit at the dealer so they eat the depreciation in the meantime.

In this scenario, getting a shaved tire or a cheap set of tires like Laufenn tires (probably under $150 each) and trade/replace the vehicle in Sept/Oct.

Or decide you will keep the vehicle and just replace with 4 higher quality tires.
Risk is not a guarantor of return.

Afty

Post by Afty » Sun May 24, 2020 12:20 pm

This was a surprising thread to me until we found out the car is a Land Rover. :D

I still think you'd be better off waiting to sell. Used car prices are depressed right now, and as you said you're not driving much anyway, so a new car would just be sitting there. I like the idea of shaving a new tire, waiting out the coronavirus, then selling once the used car market is back to normal.

rallycobra

Post by rallycobra » Sun May 24, 2020 1:45 pm

Buy the same model and size tire on ebay used for less than $100. Maybe buy 2 and keep your low 6/32 one as a spare

Even if you buy a new tire the difference in tread is insignificant. When you go around a curve the outside tire spins a lot faster than the inside tire. If a 3/32" difference in radius of a 30" diameter tire made a difference, an awd car wouldn't be able to turn a corner without destroying the system. They let you drive on a space saver spare and that doesn't affect the drivetrain.

I have found that franchise/chain tire shops state these draconian things because their legal department tells them to or they just want to sell 4 new tires. Better off finding a small independent garage with a real mechanic. That will save you money in the long run and take better care of your vehicles as well.

As far as owning a Land Rover, I would only own under warranty that includes free car rentals. Buy a used Highlander or something similar after checking on https://www.iihs.org/ with cash.

Have you checked kbb.com for the trade in value of a land rover? A 2013 with 68k miles is worth less than 15k. But as you know, every time the orange light lights up on the dashboard your write a check for $3k to the dealer for a repair.
26% Total Stock Market/20% Total International/13% Small Cap Value/6% Reit/35% Intermediate Bond Fund | 65/35 Stock Bond 2:1 Domestic/International + Reit

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Sun May 24, 2020 2:29 pm

I would definitely not by a new car right now if you aren't even driving to work right now. Replacing the one tire seems like the best option.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Sun May 24, 2020 2:56 pm

The tires are about 8 years old. Tires age, don't only wear out. Google for tires getting old. I would seriously consider buying a new set, but maybe at a somewhat lower cost if possible.

see update below. these are his second set!
Last edited by RudyS on Sun May 24, 2020 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sun May 24, 2020 3:35 pm

Sorry to let you know that it’s time to replace all tires based on age.

Your Land Rover is not a lemon. It is a Land Rover. Frequent repairs are an expected feature.

JT

galawdawg

Post by galawdawg » Sun May 24, 2020 3:46 pm

RudyS wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:56 pm
The tires are about 8 years old. Tires age, don't only wear out. Google for tires getting old. I would seriously consider buying a new set, but maybe at a somewhat lower cost if possible.
Did I miss the part where OP said the tires were eight years old or original to the vehicle? He has 68,000 miles on the vehicle and the current tires only have 3/32" of wear on the tread so far. :o

If those were original to the vehicle, i want to know the brand and model. At that rate, those tires will go 200,000 miles or so! :beer

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sun May 24, 2020 5:42 pm

Chuck107 wrote:

The market for cars with a spare wheel installed is pretty small. Nothing says "I haven't been taking care of this car because I'm poor" any better.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Sun May 24, 2020 5:52 pm

Going with the "buy the cheapest set of 4 tires you can, and get rid of the LR" option.

Topic Author
justsomeguy2018

Post by justsomeguy2018 » Sun May 24, 2020 5:54 pm

galawdawg wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:46 pm
RudyS wrote:
Did I miss the part where OP said the tires were eight years old or original to the vehicle? He has 68,000 miles on the vehicle and the current tires only have 3/32" of wear on the tread so far. :o

If those were original to the vehicle, i want to know the brand and model. At that rate, those tires will go 200,000 miles or so! :beer
Ha...new tires were bought a little under 4 years ago....

Topic Author
justsomeguy2018

Post by justsomeguy2018 » Sun May 24, 2020 5:55 pm

I think what I will likely do is replace all the tires with a low to mid-range priced tire set with the intention of only keeping the car maybe another 2 or 3 years...

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Sun May 24, 2020 5:59 pm

justsomeguy2018 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:55 pm
I think what I will likely do is replace all the tires with a low to mid-range priced tire set with the intention of only keeping the car maybe another 2 or 3 years...
Don’t go cheap on tires. Don’t need to go crazy either, but it’s the most important component of your vehicle, so buy a quality set.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

FrankTheViking

Post by FrankTheViking » Sun May 24, 2020 6:18 pm

Not recommending it but I've YOLO'd a single "different" tire on an AWD before. Worked out fine. Was like that for 10kish miles. Now everything is still a-ok years later.
No EF. 80% Total U.S. / 20% Total International. 100% equity. Is there a gun to your head? Is there a tiger in the room? No? What's the problem?

illumination

Post by illumination » Sun May 24, 2020 6:22 pm

This is one of those "small truths" that people who make money selling tires over emphasize with scare tactics in my opinion. There's so many variables anyway, if all 4 tires were not perfectly inflated, all 4 tires not being routinely rotated won't have exactly equal tread, roads aren't perfectly flat, weight distribution, when you make turns obviously the wheels are moving at different speeds, what if you off road, what if a tire is out of balance, what if there's a slight misalignment, etc. Somehow that's all fine.

I would shave a single tire if I had a few years left on the remaining 3 and run it.

But I would drop your Land Rover anyway as that's arguably the least reliable vehicle money can buy. Those are cars you lease imo.

Topic Author
justsomeguy2018

Post by justsomeguy2018 » Sun May 24, 2020 6:35 pm

illumination wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 6:22 pm
This is one of those "small truths" that people who make money selling tires over emphasize with scare tactics in my opinion. There's so many variables anyway, if all 4 tires were not perfectly inflated, all 4 tires not being routinely rotated won't have exactly equal tread, roads aren't perfectly flat, weight distribution, when you make turns obviously the wheels are moving at different speeds, what if you off road, what if a tire is out of balance, what if there's a slight misalignment, etc. Somehow that's all fine.

I would shave a single tire if I had a few years left on the remaining 3 and run it.

But I would drop your Land Rover anyway as that's arguably the least reliable vehicle money can buy. Those are cars you lease imo.
Totally agree. This vehicle was a purchase by my wife before we met. :D

illumination

Post by illumination » Sun May 24, 2020 6:46 pm

justsomeguy2018 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 6:35 pm
illumination wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 6:22 pm

Totally agree. This vehicle was a purchase by my wife before we met. :D

I understand completely, I'm still arguing with my wife about the Land Rover I refused to buy. :sharebeer
It's a shame they can't seem to figure it out, they're beautiful cars. There seems to be a big male/female divide on whether they're good vehicles to buy.

We got a Lexus GX instead, our 2nd one. Really happy with them.

rockstar

Post by rockstar » Sun May 24, 2020 7:30 pm

I put all terrain tires on my vehicle less than a week ago for less than $800, and my vehicle is AWD. I could have gone to Costco and put cheaper tires on the vehicle. I expect to get 3-4 years out of these tires.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Sun May 24, 2020 7:49 pm

justsomeguy2018 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:54 pm
galawdawg wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:46 pm
RudyS wrote:

Ha...new tires were bought a little under 4 years ago....
OK, you guys got me. :oops:

TheDDC

Post by TheDDC » Sun May 24, 2020 8:10 pm

justsomeguy2018 wrote:
Chuck107 wrote:

I don't think it does.

My shop tells me it doesn't matter if the tread is within 2/32 of the others anyway. Don't screw up a perfectly good tire and shave it down.

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 90-100% VTSAX piled high and deep, 0-10% VIGAX tilt, 0% given away to banks, minimize amount given to medical-industrial complex

Topic Author
justsomeguy2018

Post by justsomeguy2018 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:05 pm

TheDDC wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:10 pm
justsomeguy2018 wrote:
Chuck107 wrote:

I don't think it does.

My shop tells me it doesn't matter if the tread is within 2/32 of the others anyway. Don't screw up a perfectly good tire and shave it down.

-TheDDC
Yeah but a new tire is going to be 3/32 of my tires (4/32 of 1 tire).

How does shaving it down screw it up?

central-pa

Post by central-pa » Sun May 24, 2020 11:18 pm

OP - I would (a) put the two best tires (most remaining tread) of the current set on the back, and (b) get two new tires and put them on the front. No shaving required, and you only pay for 2 tires instead of 4.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon May 25, 2020 3:05 pm

central-pa wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:18 pm
OP - I would (a) put the two best tires (most remaining tread) of the current set on the back, and (b) get two new tires and put them on the front. No shaving required, and you only pay for 2 tires instead of 4.
Would I be correct in assuming you're unfamiliar with AWD tire limitations?

multiham

Post by multiham » Mon May 25, 2020 6:33 pm

Quite simple - If you want to keep the car for a few more years, just buy good tires. Why would you want to ride around on lower quality tires. Match what your driving conditions are to the tire reviews on Tire Rack and buy the ones that best meet your needs. If you can afford a Land Rover, you can afford tires.

If you want to dump the car and get something new, invest in 1 tire of the same brand and make and sell it. Buy something you like. I'm not a drive the car into the ground person. I typically keep my cars about 7 years or until I see something that either catches my eye or I feel the new safety or other options makes it worthwhile to buy.

MMiroir

Post by MMiroir » Mon May 25, 2020 9:30 pm

justsomeguy2018 wrote:
One single tire on 2013 68k mileage AWD vehicle has to be replaced, so really all 4 tires have to be replaced bc it is AWD. Estimated cost $1000-$1200? Tires have 7/32" tread, so maybe about 3 years of life left (don't drive it much). The tires need to be replaced for sure because the car is not safe to drive otherwise, particularly at high speeds on the highway (risk of blowout).
A financial forum is a terrible place to ask for car maintenance tips as most of the responses will be to buy a Toyota/Honda/Lexus. You will get much more intelligent responses at a Land Rover forum like:

https://www.landroversonly.com/

https://landroverforums.com/forum/

What is wrong with the tire and why does it need to be replaced?

Topic Author
justsomeguy2018

Post by justsomeguy2018 » Mon May 25, 2020 10:19 pm

MMiroir wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:30 pm
justsomeguy2018 wrote:
A financial forum is a terrible place to ask for car maintenance tips as most of the responses will be to buy a Toyota/Honda/Lexus. You will get much more intelligent responses at a Land Rover forum like:

https://www.landroversonly.com/

https://landroverforums.com/forum/

What is wrong with the tire and why does it need to be replaced?
2 nails side by side....cant be patched...drives ok but a safety hazard

helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone » Mon May 25, 2020 11:03 pm

justsomeguy2018 wrote:

I understand it seems like a no-brainer to just get the new tires but a couple of thoughts:

(2) Have been interested in getting a bigger vehicle to accommodate growing family, but it definitely isn't a necessity at the moment (current car is a small/mid size SUV). Plus bc of past issues with this car also just eager to be rid of it.

(3) Purely emotional but it annoys me to have exchange 3 perfectly good tires just because 1 tire went bad (another reason this car annoys me - what if this same thing happens again to a single tire?)

(4) I know this will be the case even with a replacement vehicle, but the longer we keep current car the more it will continue to lose value, and as I mentioned I don't think it is a car that will last a long time like a Toyota or Nissan; I anticipate about $3k-$3.5k in depreciation over next 2 years.

Other considerations:
(1) in current pandemic, WFH will last til end of year; so not much driving will be done for the next 7 months or longer
(2) given current employment climate, new car note is another monthly expense/liability
(3) though a bigger vehicle would be useful and may eventually be needed, at the moment it isn't absolute necessary at the moment

Another thought - buy 4 new tires.
List the old ones on craigslist for $40 each obo. Someone may buy them. I upgraded to all terrains for ~$800 and sold the old tires and got $160 for them.

ValuationsMatter

Post by ValuationsMatter » Tue May 26, 2020 11:14 am

I'm a very mechanically inclined "car guy", and I suggest that you replace the single tire and have it shaved to the same size as the others. Mis-matched sizes on the same drive axle can lead to premature wear of drivetrain components, as well as functional problems with the ABS or any system that depends on consistent wheel speed sensor information. I'm not familiar with land rover's drive train design, but without spending a good amount of time researching how inconsistent wheel speed data from one wheel to the rest affects stability control, cruise, abs, and mechanical wear in drivetrain itself, I would just prefer to play it safe. If you can match or find a very comparable almost-matching tire to the 3 good ones, and tire rack or another shop can shave it for you, that would be prudent approach. Don't predicate your decision to keep or sell your vehicle over a simple set of tires. That's just the tail wagging the dog.

On a tangent, I have never been a fan of run flat tires for the following reasons:
- heavier (hurts fuel economy & performance)
- stiffer sidewall (harsher ride, likelier to damage to suspension & wheels, compromises feel at traction limits)
- limits performance (non-run flat tires provide better traction, all else equal)
- Harder to find (may not leave you stranded at road side, but you may not be able to replace the tire on a longer trip)
- Costs more
- Not as fool proof as having a proper spare tire (sidewall failure still leaves one stranded at roadside)

I bring this up to you, because you might find a little relief if you run cheaper NRF tires with equal or better performance & quality.

So, in my 2014 BMW X5, which did not come with a spare, I purchased a space-saver spare and I will not purchase run-flats when the current ones wear down. In my performance cars that do not even have room for a spare, I plan accordingly and avoid long trips especially during non-business hours. I keep a plug kit in every vehicle, because they're small and a plug repair can sometimes even be easier than swapping to the spare. In the truck & SUV, I keep an air pump. In the sports cars where there's no room for a pump, I keep a can of fix a flat as a last-resort. I also have roadside assist with tow through USAA, presuming the phone works & service is available in the area I break down.
Last edited by ValuationsMatter on Tue May 26, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.