Bicycle Recommendation?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bhwabeck3533

Bicycle Recommendation?

Post by bhwabeck3533 »

I bought inexpensive hybrid bikes for my wife and I at Costco (Diamondback) about ten years ago. We have enjoyed them and they need to be replaced. Can anyone recommend a bicycle (brand) for everyday use? Maybe 4-6 miles a day in the neighborhood when the weather permits. We have 10-speed bikes now, which we need due to the hills around here. Price range: $250 - $500 per bike.
mgensler

Re: Bicycle Recommendation?

Post by mgensler »

Any bike you can get your hands on right now. Bike shops are nearly sold out across the country.
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

Any name brand hybrid bike (e.g., Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Giant, Scott, Kona, Marin, Jamis, etc.) from a bike shop will be fine as long as it fits you. With the exception of REI, I would avoid big box places. A good store will get you on the right fitting bike.

The more you spend, the better the brakes and components, although for casual, short rides it may not matter too much.

That said, what's wrong with the current bikes? Unless you've got a cracked frame, there's nothing that can be repaired or replaced.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

I would find a good local bike shop and buy whatever brands they carry and support. For me, that ended up being Trek.
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

caffeperfavore wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:06 pm Any name brand hybrid bike (e.g., Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Giant, Scott, Kona, Marin, Jamis, etc.) from a bike shop will be fine as long as it fits you. With the exception of REI, I would avoid big box places. A good store will get you on the right fitting bike.

The more you spend, the better the brakes and components, although for casual, short rides it may not matter too much.

That said, what's wrong with the current bikes? Unless you've got a cracked frame, there's nothing that can be repaired or replaced.
Agree based on 4-6 mile rides.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I saw a Pee Wee Herman bike for sale on eBay not to long ago. Surprised how much it was going for!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
bhwabeck3533

Post by bhwabeck3533 »

caffeperfavore....you may have inspired me ... a DIY repair. My wife's bike is fine. Mine has a noticeable "knock" which I am guessing is a bearing failure in the crankset. I am a tinkerer.

Our local bike shop is positioned nicely on the "demand vs supply" equation for new bikes, parts, and repairs (very pricey). So, if a repair is out of the question I'll be looking at Amazon for a new one. Thanks for recommendations.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Diamondback? We had one of those and it was totally superb for running around town ... until it was stolen. I would not see any reason to replace bikes that are only 10 years young unless they were stolen or perhaps backed over by car. What happened to them? If you still have them, are you selling them?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

bhwabeck3533 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:19 pm caffeperfavore....you may have inspired me ... a DIY repair. My wife's bike is fine. Mine has a noticeable "knock" which I am guessing is a bearing failure in the crankset. I am a tinkerer.

Our local bike shop is positioned nicely on the "demand vs supply" equation for new bikes, parts, and repairs (very pricey). So, if a repair is out of the question I'll be looking at Amazon for a new one. Thanks for recommendations.
Bottom bracket replacement is pretty easy. You need the correct tool and make sure you order the correct size.
CascadiaSoonish

Post by CascadiaSoonish »

They probably won't be in that price range, but definitely try some e-bikes before making a decision. Especially with hills it makes riding a super-fun experience. I bought a high-powered electric last year and love it.
sk2101

Post by sk2101 »

CascadiaSoonish wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:38 pm They probably won't be in that price range, but definitely try some e-bikes before making a decision. Especially with hills it makes riding a super-fun experience. I bought a high-powered electric last year and love it.
The whole purpose of biking is to excercise. Unless someone has a disability or use the bike for commuting, ebikes should not be considered.
terran

Post by terran »

mgensler wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:48 am Any bike you can get your hands on right now. Bike shops are nearly sold out across the country.
That seems like an indication that there will soon be a glut of used bikes available as people have to go back to work.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

sk2101 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:49 pm
CascadiaSoonish wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:38 pm They probably won't be in that price range, but definitely try some e-bikes before making a decision. Especially with hills it makes riding a super-fun experience. I bought a high-powered electric last year and love it.
The whole purpose of biking is to excercise. Unless someone has a disability or use the bike for commuting, ebikes should not be considered.
Counter-intuitively e-bike users get more exercise supposedly!
They certainly do if the battery runs out.
https://electrek.co/2019/08/11/electric ... -cyclists/
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

I would second the REI recommendation and they are currently offering 20% off on their summer sale that ends Monday evening.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

hicabob wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:19 pm
Counter-intuitively e-bike users get more exercise supposedly!
They certainly do if the battery runs out.
https://electrek.co/2019/08/11/electric ... -cyclists/
That's a little like saying professional athletes get more exercise, so couch potatoes should register as athletes to get more exercise.

Without the battery, riding an ebike takes more energy to move the extra weight (battery pack, sturdier frame for added weight and less weight optimization because motor doesn't care as much). Have fun going up big hills without power once you're used to it.

I'm wondering if the safety of ebikes, not from the bikes themselves, but the exposure to more miles at higher speeds is proportional. Does it matter if I exercise 1 hour at 10 MPH vs 20 MPH? Is the accident rate more dependent on the time spent, distance traveled or speed of travel? Exercise is time fixed.

From a commuting standpoint, it's distance dependent, so if time is halved, ebikes could turn out to be safer.

OP, for more casual bikes, I've frequently seen 50% off bikes at Dicks Sporting Goods that's a step up from Walmart in your price range. Look for closeouts, end of season, pre-season and Holiday sales (though only 30% off some for Memorial Day).
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

My neighbor just bought this— https://www.specialized.com/us/en/rouba ... s/p/171045

He is very happy.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

REI has a sale going on right now.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
Living Free

Post by Living Free »

Bogle7 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:32 pm My neighbor just bought this— https://www.specialized.com/us/en/rouba ... s/p/171045

He is very happy.
Looks like that’s a bit out of OP’s stated $250-500 price range
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

10 yeard old bike, if the frame is in shape, should not be ready for the trash. Especially with your very limited use, if the bike fits well, no reason to buy new. If you cannot or do not want to do the repair a good bike shop is your friend.

In my locale, there is a bike cooperative, all set with tools and sometimes decent used parts, no charge to use the space and tools. There are some experts around who will guide you through the repair, all very useful. I think they are shut right now but they are always on my springtime tune-up list.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
Newbogel

Post by Newbogel »

I picked up a bike someone was throwing away and promptly sold on Craigslist for 100 bucks.
FitnFin

Post by FitnFin »

Best price/value for a bike you will likely find, though it requires you to assemble.

http://www.bikesdirect.com

Lunacycle has some great bike converter kits if you ever wanted to create a powerful e-bike at a fraction of the cost. I
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

greg24 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:10 pm I would find a good local bike shop and buy whatever brands they carry and support. For me, that ended up being Trek.
This. Our local shop (and our previous one) is a Giant dealership, so I have a Seek 3 Disc (closest current model is the Escape 2 Disc), and my 12-year old upgraded a couple of years ago to a Roam 2. They've been great. But any of the bike-shop brands should be solid, and more importantly you can get a good fit.
Topic Author
bhwabeck3533

Post by bhwabeck3533 »

First thanks to all the content-laden responses, good stuff.

Update, my local bike shop has ordered a "Square Taper Bottom Bracket Remover" for me. Going to repair and keep the ten-year old bike based on your feedback!
chuppi

Post by chuppi »

I have always bought my bikes used but in new condition. Let the first owners new year resolution pay for the initial depreciation.
I look for good components/brand and buy them almost new. I setup alerts on eBay and craigslist and act quickly when I find one. Prefer eBay but eBay is adding tax on used goods.
Know what you want and wait for one to come sale. If you don’t like them for any reason, you won’t lose much selling it right away.
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

If u have noise coming from the crank it may just be a loose bottom bracket. A lot of thing can make clicking noises tho when pedalling.

If u can isolate the noise, u can fix the problem.

The last time I thought it was the bb, replaced the bb, then found out it was just my horizontal drop out that needed to be tightened.

I'm a fan of fixing the old vs getting something new, not for the money but for the sake of not being wasteful.

It was kinda fun replacing a perfectly good bottom bracket and wasting a couple hours on my baby
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

bhwabeck3533 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:29 am First thanks to all the content-laden responses, good stuff.

Update, my local bike shop has ordered a "Square Taper Bottom Bracket Remover" for me. Going to repair and keep the ten-year old bike based on your feedback!
That's the spirit! Bikes are simple machines. Yours have plenty of life left in them.
Juice3

Post by Juice3 »

bhwabeck3533 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:19 pm caffeperfavore....you may have inspired me ... a DIY repair. My wife's bike is fine. Mine has a noticeable "knock" which I am guessing is a bearing failure in the crankset. I am a tinkerer.
Many clicks and knocks are bikes make can fixed by cleaning, lubing, and tightening everything.

I had a click this spring, did everything to the bike, no help (did not pull the bottom bracket or crank). Finally found it was just a dirty (and worn) cleat on my shoe.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

bhwabeck3533 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:38 am I bought inexpensive hybrid bikes for my wife and I at Costco (Diamondback) about ten years ago. We have enjoyed them and they need to be replaced. Can anyone recommend a bicycle (brand) for everyday use? Maybe 4-6 miles a day in the neighborhood when the weather permits. We have 10-speed bikes now, which we need due to the hills around here. Price range: $250 - $500 per bike.
I definitely favor hybrids in the $400-600 (roughly) range for the general public who rides for exercise, commuting, etc (in other words, most riders). So does Wirecutter, for what it is worth. I have ridden $2000 plus bikes and don't think the additional cost justifies the additional expense...in fact many have disadvantages over a moderate priced hybrid for most people who are not racers and don't do hundred mile rides in a day.

I bought a Trek when it was Wirecutter's recommendation , I'd say maybe about 8 years ago, and I am happy with it. I bought my sweetie a Janis when it was Wirecutter's runner-up a couple of years back and she likes it...it looks like Wirecutter still recommends it. I like it better than my bike, but not by much. Wirecutter is a good place to start, and then just test-ride a bunch.

A couple of critical points:

-DON'T buy a bike from Costco, or Walmart, or a department store. Go to a dedicated bike shop that takes care of its bikes and will tweak it for you. It will be def. worth the little more that you pay for it.

-I replaced the handlebar grips and the saddle on my bike....total additional cost maybe around $150 ???....and it made all the difference in the world. I also bought paniers for shopping. So take the time and spend a little more money to tweak a moderately priced hybrid to meet your comfort needs rather than spending more and not getting much more practically speaking for your money, or spending less and getting stuck with a clunker. (I am assuming you can afford a decent hybrid). $500 will get you a very nice bike. $250 will not (unless you buy one used, then maybe). There is a HUGE diff. between the $250 bikes and the $500 bikes.

I ride about 100 miles per week spring through fall, mostly on bike trails but also just as a means of getting around, shopping, etc.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... uter-bike/
BruinBones

Post by BruinBones »

bhwabeck3533 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:29 am First thanks to all the content-laden responses, good stuff.

I’m glad to hear that you went this route. Probably less money spent than buying a new bike. And there’s nothing like the comfort and familiarity of a bike that you’ve ridden many miles for several years.
Bogle7

Just your first hit

Post by Bogle7 »

bhwabeck3533 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:29 amUpdate, my local bike shop has ordered a "Square Taper Bottom Bracket Remover" for me. Going to repair and keep the ten-year old bike
You have just taken the first step towards accumulating lots of bike tools.
Bike repair (improvements) is very addictive and no known cure exits.

When you replace the bearings, buy better ones.
https://www.endurobearings.com/technology/balls/ or https://wheelsmfg.com/sealed-bearing-grades
Buy a better bracket
https://phil-wood-co.myshopify.com/coll ... m-brackets
Buy better grease
https://phil-wood-co.myshopify.com/coll ... oof-grease
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

Glad to hear it! Replacing a hybrid with another hybrid wouldn't net you much besides new paint. Fix up the bikes and treat yourselves to nice saddles or grips if you want to splurge.
olliema

Post by olliema »

At the $250-500 price point you will be buying a pretty basic bike. You will likely get less bike than the one you own, assuming you buy new.

You could invest $250-500 into your bike and end up with a bike that is far better by upgrading the components. In fact you could pay a shop to do it all for you at the $500 mark.

Priority Bicycles is an interesting manufacturer. Aluminum frames, belt drives, internal gear hubs = lighter & less maintenance.
I bought one on Craigslist for $350 https://www.prioritybicycles.com/produc ... tyclassic2
You want a 10 speed so this sub $500 bike won't work for you
But, if you spent a bit more you could get one with a CVT: https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/continuumonyx

I just did my bottom bracket 2 days ago, my guess is you're getting a Park Tool BBT-22 https://www.parktool.com/product/bottom ... ool-bbt-22

I had a creak in the bottom bracket, and a simple grease job turned into a bottom bracket replacement because I let the tool walk and semi stripped the bracket cup so I chose to buy a new bracket for $20.

Few tips:
  • The drive side bracket cup (right side) has a reverse thread, meaning you turn left to tighten and right to loosen. Same with your right pedal.
  • You will want to grease the threads and mating surfaces well. I use Finish Line grease but there are several other good ones.
  • Be careful you do not strip the cups (the part with the splines that the tool sticks into).
  • Make sure you torque your bolts to spec, which means you need a torque wrench.
  • You will want to have a good leverage / work at a good angle especially if you don't have the below.
  • You can make a 'tool for the tool' by threading a M8 1.0 bolt thru the tool's socket hole to prevent it from walking (it's easy to strip the cup)
  • With the tool bolted to the bracket, you use a deep well socket and you are good to go.
  • YouTube has many good videos outlining the bottom bracket procedure.
remnant

Post by remnant »

Find a used, properly fitted Surly. All are made from steel frames that won't let you down. Long Haul Trucker, Cross-check, or Straggler are all suitable. Really, all their models are fantastic for their intended purposes! The key is finding a used frame - after their initial depreciation they hold onto their value like any other Boglehead durable good. You should be able to resell it when you're done with it for the same price if it has been properly maintained. Another thing, getting a properly fit bike is probably a very important aspect of long term satisfaction with your bicycle. Good luck.

R
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

2x over your price range but the REI co-op CTY 3.1 should be a solid bike. I have an older steel REI Novara bike before they changed their brand name to co-op and it has held up extremely well.

https://www.rei.com/product/121586/co-o ... ty-31-bike
jon63

Post by jon63 »

remnant wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:08 pm Find a used, properly fitted Surly. All are made from steel frames that won't let you down. Long Haul Trucker, Cross-check, or Straggler are all suitable. Really, all their models are fantastic for their intended purposes! The key is finding a used frame - after their initial depreciation they hold onto their value like any other Boglehead durable good. You should be able to resell it when you're done with it for the same price if it has been properly maintained. Another thing, getting a properly fit bike is probably a very important aspect of long term satisfaction with your bicycle. Good luck.

R
love the steel framed bikes they have a much smoother ride than aluminum bikes, the entire frame flexes like a spring.
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

good to see that you are repairing your current bike

I'm doing the final tweeks on my repair of my old road bike: a Trek which I had bought back in '79 (hand-built back then). (It would probably cost a lot for an equivalent now). I've ridden enough miles (including centuries, which I'm sure I couldn't do anymore at my age with "replacement parts" :shock: ). I've also got a Kona mountain bike, also not cheap at all, which alas I've not put through all the paces (due to the aforementioned issues, like knee replacement)... but it's a good bike (but well above the price range of the OP). There's good info on repairing your bike online nowadays, not like before where you needed a community of bike enthusiasts that could help.
Topic Author
bhwabeck3533

Post by bhwabeck3533 »

Circling back to my May 22 request for a bicycle recommendations. The responses came back as two themes: (1) Buy new (2) Repair old. Inspired by the DIY posters, I invested $16 in a crank pulling tool and $4 in new bearings for my bottom bracket. I can now report that my old Diamondback clunker which has served me so well for over 10 years is "clunk free". The new parts and a little grease have me pedaling smoothly again. Now my wife is asking for the same upgrade on her dinosaur!
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

bhwabeck3533 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:43 am Circling back to my May 22 request for a bicycle recommendations. The responses came back as two themes: (1) Buy new (2) Repair old. Inspired by the DIY posters, I invested $16 in a crank pulling tool and $4 in new bearings for my bottom bracket. I can now report that my old Diamondback clunker which has served me so well for over 10 years is "clunk free". The new parts and a little grease have me pedaling smoothly again. Now my wife is asking for the same upgrade on her dinosaur!
Thanks for the update! When I first read this thread, I went down the rabbit hole of bottom bracket youtube videos. :happy

Your experience and those videos give me comfort I can handle this repair when the time comes to deal with bearings on my 14 year old Giant. It is a fine budget bike. Years, moisture, dirt and miles (at least 5k) are showing stress points. I've had to replace the shift cables, brake pads and tires a few times. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to go deeper, but you inspired me I can do it!
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

bhwabeck3533 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:38 am I bought inexpensive hybrid bikes for my wife and I at Costco (Diamondback) about ten years ago. We have enjoyed them and they need to be replaced. Can anyone recommend a bicycle (brand) for everyday use? Maybe 4-6 miles a day in the neighborhood when the weather permits. We have 10-speed bikes now, which we need due to the hills around here. Price range: $250 - $500 per bike.
My wife and I have had Electra beach cruisers, the kind where you sit upright and not hunched over the front, for five years and love them. They have comfortable, wide seats and are great on hard surfaces. The ones we bought have seven speeds and are fine for all but very steep hills. I believe that we paid about $250 each.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

I used to feel that way but last year we purchased a Trek ebike for my wife and for the first time in our 40 year marraige we can now enjoy riding together and we are riding far more than we ever have in the past (in excess of 100 miles per week). We are both seeing health benefits as you still exert effort on an ebike. As we ride more and more my wife has dialed back on the assist level. Her ebike has been a real blessing.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

bikechuck wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:36 pm
I used to feel that way but last year we purchased a Trek ebike for my wife and for the first time in our 40 year marraige we can now enjoy riding together and we are riding far more than we ever have in the past (in excess of 100 miles per week). We are both seeing health benefits as you still exert effort on an ebike. As we ride more and more my wife has dialed back on the assist level. Her ebike has been a real blessing.
Try telling the dozens and dozens and dozens of people I see with e-assist fat bikes every winter when I am snowshoeing that ebikes should not be considered unless they have a disability. You ever tried riding up a mountain, in the snow? E-bikes make a lot more things possible. I've cycled tens of thousands of miles over the past two decades and am very physically capable, but an e-assist fat bike is on my Christmas list.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

On the same principle you should ride a heavy rusty broken bike because it's more exercise. Maybe put a parachute on it? why waste grease if you don't have a disability?
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Starfish wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:56 pm On the same principle you should ride a heavy rusty broken bike because it's more exercise. Maybe put a parachute on it? why waste grease if you don't have a disability?
Now that I've learned how to handle the crank bearings on the bottom bracket, maybe I'll take them out and throw some sand in there. That should slow me down and help provide a little more drag, thus upping the exercise quotient. :D
FitnFin

Post by FitnFin »

Lunacycle by far produces the best ebikes and ebike conversion kits. Have been using for quite awhile.
jjbychko

Post by jjbychko »

If you are handy with some minor assembly consider bikesdirect.com. The bike is shipped 90% assembled. I've been considering a purchase from them. My son purchased from them. Reviews look decent. Prices are fantastic and they have every type of bike. The latest rage are gravel bikes.
cyclist

Post by cyclist »

As it usually it, it's the right horse for the right course...

I got plenty of exercise with e-assisted cycling as a commuter going to work. I'd never have ridden as frequently without the motor, and I'd have been a lot less likely to ride on muggy mornings without the motor. (I also got to work a heck of a lot faster.)

I've removed the motor from my ebike now because don't commute any more and don't need the added speed. I still get plenty of exercise.

The "best" ebike or "best" source for ebike parts is a matter much debated, but one of the places always mentioned is ebikes.ca, aka. Grin Technologies. In my option, they're the best place for hub motors, the accessory bits, and amazing online info that can make ebike conversions a joy.

Cyclist
xerxes101

Post by xerxes101 »

I absolutely adore the shape and design of this e-bike :happy :

https://www.vanmoof.com/en-US/test-rides

You can test drive it in San Francisco right now apparently...I can't wait for it to be available in my neck of the woods
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

jon63 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:27 pm
remnant wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:08 pm Find a used, properly fitted Surly. All are made from steel frames that won't let you down. Long Haul Trucker, Cross-check, or Straggler are all suitable. Really, all their models are fantastic for their intended purposes! The key is finding a used frame - after their initial depreciation they hold onto their value like any other Boglehead durable good. You should be able to resell it when you're done with it for the same price if it has been properly maintained. Another thing, getting a properly fit bike is probably a very important aspect of long term satisfaction with your bicycle. Good luck.

R
love the steel framed bikes they have a much smoother ride than aluminum bikes, the entire frame flexes like a spring.

The mild steel frames on older bikes are fantastic. My wife's loves her 50 year old Peugeot 10 speed and it rides like a dream. I agree the current aluminum frames ride like a brick...you get a slightly lighter more efficient pedaling bike, but not worth it for 95% of recreational riders.
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

The bottom bracket is the lupus of bike repair (House MD reference). It's never the bottom bracket. Something is loose or needs lube.