What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Sandtrap

Re: What is your most luxury/expensive hobby.

Post by Sandtrap » Fri May 22, 2020 7:54 pm

DW and I are both professional photographers.
So, 2 full frame bodies for each of us on locations, "L" zooms and prime lenses, and all the other stuff. Also, a full size photo studio with lighting, etc. We have our portfolio's at various stock sites online, Getty, Adobe, Shutterstock, etc. Also do location and product and commercial photography when we can. It's been a good part time pastime when retired. I doubt that we've ever made enough to pay for the toys, computers, and software. But, immensely rewarding.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Fri May 22, 2020 8:17 pm

Vacationing, I have dropped some cash on some amazing vacations.

Boating is easily affordable in comparison.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

cabfranc

Post by cabfranc » Fri May 22, 2020 8:50 pm

I used to be really into model railroading which is surprisingly expensive. I had to dismantle my layout to make room for the kids' stuff in the basement. It was probably for the best as I was becoming concerned that all the fumes from glues and soldering were not good for my health.

Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 » Fri May 22, 2020 9:33 pm

junejune0605 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:54 pm
jimmyq wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:27 am
Flying. I retired last year, and have decided to become a private pilot. I'm attending ground school now, and will start taking flying lessons soon. Not a cheap hobby by any means, but it is great to finally have the time (and funds) to pursue this.
I just got my private pilot license. Best decision ever!

My flying habit is moderate but I'm trying to get my wife to allow me to purchase a plane.

Got my ppl 4 years ago...really run the numbers and know the money risk before you buy...the initial cost can be deceiving...a $25k Cessna 150 could have a $1000 annual or a $20k annual (engine rebuild) ...$100-120 an hour to rent starts to seem like a great deal.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Fri May 22, 2020 9:47 pm

Carguy85 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:33 pm
junejune0605 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:54 pm
jimmyq wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:27 am
Flying. I retired last year, and have decided to become a private pilot. I'm attending ground school now, and will start taking flying lessons soon. Not a cheap hobby by any means, but it is great to finally have the time (and funds) to pursue this.
I just got my private pilot license. Best decision ever!

My flying habit is moderate but I'm trying to get my wife to allow me to purchase a plane.

Got my ppl 4 years ago...really run the numbers and know the money risk before you buy...the initial cost can be deceiving...a $25k Cessna 150 could have a $1000 annual or a $20k annual (engine rebuild) ...$100-120 an hour to rent starts to seem like a great deal.
Renting is a great deal only if you don’t fly anywhere overnight or for a couple weeks. And an engine rebuild is maintenance separate from the annual.

If you want an economical aircraft look at a vintage Mooney. Cruise at 140k at under 10 gph.

Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 » Sat May 23, 2020 6:19 am

Was almost certain you were talking about a Mooney in your previous post :) ....I don’t know of any other 4 place older factory built plane that offers those numbers. It depends a lot on rental options/availability no doubt...my local airport schedule is usually very open and the stipulations for overnight travel are minimal. As much as I love airplanes and flying I can’t rationalize taking the family on vacation in a small plane...simply isn’t practical, so many more variables and much greater risk of death (at least 10x greater risk than driving). If you are retired and have several days flexibility in when you can leave and return on an overnight trip and your significant other enjoys flying in small aircraft it becomes more favorable no doubt.

vested1

Post by vested1 » Sat May 23, 2020 7:38 am

Fishing and the boats/gear needed to enjoy it. 70k on two boats and dock refurbishing since last August, with a new pontoon and bass boat, new boat lift and PVC decking for 636 sq ft covered dock with one slip. Just ordered and will install myself a Yakport addition ($1,200) to one side of the dock to easily launch our two kayaks and the canoe. I won't even get into the fishing gear, but three rod racks still don't hold them all, not to mention the reels and several tackle bags/boxes, mostly for trout.

Just wish our friends and family could visit right now to enjoy it all. Next summer should be great, and in the meantime my wife and I will have to learn how to catch the bass and stripers better for future bragging rights. Oh well!

smalliebigs

Post by smalliebigs » Sat May 23, 2020 7:40 am

I like vacations and watches. Bought and flipped a few. Now pared my collection down only a couple (for now)

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Sat May 23, 2020 8:13 am

ponyboy wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:52 am
Are vacations really considered a hobby?
A passive hobby like window shopping.

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Sat May 23, 2020 8:13 am

Duplicate

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sat May 23, 2020 8:16 am

I haven't indulged in a couple of decades, but I'd have to say that the most expensive "hobby" (if you will) I've ever indulged in was flying. I spent several thousand dollars on flying lessons, then several more on instrument training. Then I bought a house, and all that came to an end. :(

Nowadays, I suppose the most expensive hobby I have is photography.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

bog007

Post by bog007 » Sat May 23, 2020 8:24 am

Kayak. One time fee . 500 to 1000. No motor to worry about. Launch from about anywhere. Fish or leisure

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat May 23, 2020 8:44 am

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:16 am
I haven't indulged in a couple of decades, but I'd have to say that the most expensive "hobby" (if you will) I've ever indulged in was flying. I spent several thousand dollars on flying lessons, then several more on instrument training. Then I bought a house, and all that came to an end. :(

Nowadays, I suppose the most expensive hobby I have is photography.
Back in the early 70s, after getting my license, I was relocated from upstate NY to northern NJ. My house cost 4-5x what I sold my NY house for, so I decided to cut expenses. I planned to stop flying for just a few months.

It was 13 years until I finally decided to get back into the pilot's seat, and have flown 2500 hours since then. So if you're still interested, consider getting back into flying. Gas prices are down now!

Unwinder

Post by Unwinder » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:50 pm

Carpenterant wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:40 pm
Guns and hunting. Not just the guns but the ammo and optics. 2-3k per year and it’s probably going to get worse because I’m starting to look at hunting out of state
I love shooting guns but it's crazy how expensive it is. Just to go to the range and have fun for an hour or two costs a fair amount just in bullets. And the more fun the gun, the more expensive the bullets. And that's not including the price of the gun. And I've never bought a gun that I didn't buy a bunch of accessories for. When I think about how much it costs me just for a few hours at the range... I wonder how in the heck these governments spend all that money on war. And their toys make my stuff look like kids water guns. Crazy expensive.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:20 pm

buying watches totaling $5000+

just kidding. couldn't resist.
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle