How often do you change passwords on your investment accounts?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
tvubpwcisla

How often do you change passwords on your investment accounts?

Post by tvubpwcisla » Sat May 23, 2020 7:56 am

I imported my 1099 into TurboTax and had to provide my username and password. Afterwards I changed my password and then realized I probably don't cycle through new passwords as much as I should.

:oops:

:shock:

How often do you change the passwords on your investing accounts?

Thanks!
Stay invested my friends.

David Jay

Re: How often do you change passwords on your investment accounts?

Post by David Jay » Sat May 23, 2020 8:03 am

Never.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat May 23, 2020 8:06 am

Once I create a very strong PW I never change it.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

DiMAn0684

Post by DiMAn0684 » Sat May 23, 2020 8:10 am

As long as you're using unique and complex password it does not make a ton of sense to change it unless you have used it on a system which might have been somehow compromised. Also, use 2FA if available.

acegolfer

Post by acegolfer » Sat May 23, 2020 8:30 am

Every year with generated passwd.

yangtui

Post by yangtui » Sat May 23, 2020 8:32 am

I never change passwords unless something suspicious happens. Suspicious things never happen so I never change my passwords.

jhsu802701

Post by jhsu802701 » Sat May 23, 2020 10:11 am

Just make sure that you use a different secure password for each of your accounts (investment and otherwise). Limiting yourself to passwords that you can easily remember, writing down your passwords on paper, and using the same password everywhere are all security no-nos.

That's why I use KeePassXC to generate, encrypt, and save passwords. It's so easy and convenient to have a different secure password for everything. KeePassXC is free, open source, and available for Linux, MacOS, and Windows. So I'm covered on any platform.

anon_investor

Post by anon_investor » Sat May 23, 2020 10:18 am

tvubpwcisla wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:56 am
I imported my 1099 into TurboTax and had to provide my username and password. Afterwards I changed my password and then realized I probably don't cycle through new passwords as much as I should.

Thanks!
I always manually enter numbers into turbotax. The convenience is not worth the potential security risk. The same thing when linking banks accounts to things, I always use micro deposits. Better safe than sorry.

catlady

Post by catlady » Sat May 23, 2020 10:19 am

In addition to unique passwords, it’s a good idea to use different usernames for each site.

Topic Author
tvubpwcisla

Post by tvubpwcisla » Sat May 23, 2020 10:20 am

anon_investor wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:18 am
tvubpwcisla wrote:

Thanks!
I always manually enter numbers into turbotax. The convenience is not worth the potential security risk. The same thing when linking banks accounts to things, I always use micro deposits. Better safe than sorry.
Great point. Half the time TurboTax gets the import wrong!

Stay invested my friends.

kabob

Post by kabob » Sat May 23, 2020 10:30 am

The First rule bout Security is: one doesn't talk about Security!

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Sat May 23, 2020 10:33 am

I use secure passwords (generated through LastPass). I do not change them for any of my accounts, including my investment accounts.

Not saying I shouldn't be updating them, just that I have not been.

I do have alerts set up at all financial institutions I have a relationship with. So in the very unlikely event someone were to get in, I would be notified in real time of any attempt to add external accounts or move funds out. Also, if someone were to try and log in from a computer that had not been previously authorized, in most cases the FI would ask for my challenge/security words. Feels low risk to me.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Sat May 23, 2020 11:24 am

kabob wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:30 am
I was thinking to comment, but saw this first. Sounds like good advice.

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Sat May 23, 2020 11:46 am

Never, unless I'm notified of a breach.

NIST no longer recommends forced password rotations: https://pages.nist.gov/800-63-FAQ/#q-b05
RudyS wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:24 am
kabob wrote:
It's not good advice. For the average person, hiding their security practices only means they won't get feedback.

oldfort

Post by oldfort » Sat May 23, 2020 11:53 am

If you have two-factor authentication, never.

tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie » Sat May 23, 2020 12:16 pm

I have a free LastPass premium account through a university, and I just started using it. I don’t plan to ever change the passwords unless they’re compromised.

Bob.Beeman

Post by Bob.Beeman » Sat May 23, 2020 12:19 pm

HawkeyePierce wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:46 am
Never, unless I'm notified of a breach.

NIST no longer recommends forced password rotations: https://pages.nist.gov/800-63-FAQ/#q-b05
RudyS wrote:
kabob wrote:
It's not good advice. For the average person, hiding their security practices only means they won't get feedback.
Hawkeye Pierce is right, Kabob's post is, in fact, terrible, TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE!!! advice!

This is called "Security by Obscurity", or "Security through Obscurity" and it has been thoroughly discredited for over 100 years. Read the Wikipedia Security through Obscurity article, particularly the part about ciphers and keys.

This is why the algorithms used for commercial transactions and probably most classified government info as well uses ciphers that have been the winners of government sanctioned open competition.

The bad guys already know more than we do. The safest thing is don't add complexity, as each departure from standards increases risk.

-Bob.Beeman

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat May 23, 2020 1:05 pm

HawkeyePierce wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:46 am
Absolutely true, but with Vanguard I never want to be in a situation where a fraud investigator says "I see you haven't changed your password in five years". Therefore I change my Vanguard password about once per year.

I do not change passwords at banks where I have credit cards offering legal protection against fraud.

sd323232

Post by sd323232 » Sat May 23, 2020 1:54 pm

tvubpwcisla wrote:

Thanks!
every two years.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat May 23, 2020 2:46 pm

Let's look at some common scenarios were an attacker can get a password to see when changing a password regularly might be useful.

Password file is stolen from the site: In this case, changing the password before the attacker can employ techniques to crack the password might help you mitigate the damage, but consider what other access the attacker had to the system while stealing the password file. In other words, the password file being stolen might be the least of your worries in this scenario.

Keylogger or other interception: In this case, changing passwords gets you no additional security because they'll just get the new password in the same fashion as soon as you set it. You need to address the underlying issue that led to the keylogger/interception malware getting on the system in the first place.

Victim of a phishing attack: If you realize that you fell for a phishing attack and accidentally gave away your login credentials, change the passwords immediately. If you don't know that you fell for a phishing attack, then by the time you get around to periodically changing the password, the damage has likely already been done.

Reusing the password at multiple sites: This is a horrible password habit, because if any one of the sites gets compromised, the attacker crack the password and then use it at other sites. Periodically changing your password might help mitigate this if you change the password before the attacker tries to use it, but a better solution is to use a unique password at every site, so a compromise of one site only affects that site.

Using a password pattern: This is also a pretty bad password habit, for a similar reason to reusing a password. If your pattern is obvious from the cracked password at Site A, e.g. 3Leet-SiteA!, then the attacker can make a pretty good guess at your password at a bunch of other sites. Again, a better solution is to use unique passwords at every site.

In other words, there are other security habits to employ that will get you as much, if not more, security benefits than periodically changing your password. Probably the most important one for financial sites is to enable two-factor authentication if it's available. Hopefully, it's something more secure than sending a text message with an access code, because that's a pretty horrible second-factor (it has a lot of interception vectors).

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat May 23, 2020 2:52 pm

jhsu802701 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:11 am
Just make sure that you use a different secure password for each of your accounts (investment and otherwise). Limiting yourself to passwords that you can easily remember, writing down your passwords on paper, and using the same password everywhere are all security no-nos.
FYI, it's okay to write your password down on paper as long as you secure the paper. In other words, a post-it on your work monitor or under your work keyboard is not acceptable, but a piece of paper in your fire-proof home safe is okay. Even a piece of paper in your wallet that you keep on your person is okay, because most wallet thieves are not going to do anything with a password on paper.

In my fire-proof safe, I have a paper with my master passwords listed, plus a list of back-up Google Authenticator codes, just in case something happens to me where I happen to forget that information. There's no indication of the accounts or password files that those are tied to, so I doubt any random house thief who breaks into my safe is going to try to do much with it. I could also get a safe deposit box for that paper, but that seems a little bit of overkill for my personal use scenario.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat May 23, 2020 2:56 pm

RudyS wrote:
kabob wrote:
There's a saying from cybersecurity professionals: Security through obscurity is the same as no security at all. In other words, you should be trusting the mathematics (encryption) and experts (best practices) rather than relying on a secret ritual. That's why all good encryption algorithms are published and scrutinized for mathematical or algorithmic weaknesses. The algorithms are public, only the key (password in this case) is kept secret.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sat May 23, 2020 2:57 pm

Never--unless there is an issue that I'm aware of.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Sat May 23, 2020 3:28 pm

tvubpwcisla wrote:

Thanks!
Quite often :=) Sometimes I forget, as tend to be fairly hands off with my investments. So after a few months I have most likely forgotten about it.

buhlaxtus

Post by buhlaxtus » Sat May 23, 2020 3:42 pm

As infrequently as possible. If you use unique and strong passwords, there is no benefit. If you don't use unique and strong passwords, get a password manager and start.

oldfort

Post by oldfort » Sat May 23, 2020 4:14 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:56 pm
That's why all good encryption algorithms are published and scrutinized for mathematical or algorithmic weaknesses. The algorithms are public, only the key (password in this case) is kept secret.
This is overstating the case. The government uses non-public algorithms for its own use.

DonIce

Post by DonIce » Sat May 23, 2020 4:17 pm

Why would I change from "password123"? It's a timeless classic.

Van

Post by Van » Sat May 23, 2020 4:19 pm

No significant money outside of Vanguard. So, with 2 factor authentication, I have not seen the need to change passwords. Am I wrong?

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Sat May 23, 2020 7:37 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:52 pm
In my fire-proof safe, I have a paper with my master passwords listed, plus a list of back-up Google Authenticator codes, just in case something happens to me where I happen to forget that information. There's no indication of the accounts or password files that those are tied to, so I doubt any random house thief who breaks into my safe is going to try to do much with it. I could also get a safe deposit box for that paper, but that seems a little bit of overkill for my personal use scenario.
I stopped using Google Authenticator. I was fortunate that I only had just started using it for a few things and then my phone broke. Even though I had a recent backup of my phone and restored it, Google Authenticator was blank. None of the accounts on there have I ever been able to get back into. Thankfully, they weren’t major ones, so I didn’t get too bothered by it.

I’ve since started using 1Password for rotating tokens after an update provided that. I’ve used 1Password for years and set up the rotating token for a few accounts with good success. I haven’t tried restoring to a new phone from backup yet, but I do know that all my prior 1Password logins transitioned successfully.

Anyways, your post reminds me that I should see about getting backup codes, if available, at certain places. I also have a fireproof safe that I can put it in. Two actually, but lost the key to one a few years ago and haven’t gotten around to getting it broken into.

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Sat May 23, 2020 8:18 pm

BrandonBogle wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:37 pm
Mudpuppy wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:52 pm
I stopped using Google Authenticator. I was fortunate that I only had just started using it for a few things and then my phone broke. Even though I had a recent backup of my phone and restored it, Google Authenticator was blank. None of the accounts on there have I ever been able to get back into. Thankfully, they weren’t major ones, so I didn’t get too bothered by it.

I’ve since started using 1Password for rotating tokens after an update provided that. I’ve used 1Password for years and set up the rotating token for a few accounts with good success. I haven’t tried restoring to a new phone from backup yet, but I do know that all my prior 1Password logins transitioned successfully.

Anyways, your post reminds me that I should see about getting backup codes, if available, at certain places. I also have a fireproof safe that I can put it in. Two actually, but lost the key to one a few years ago and haven’t gotten around to getting it broken into.
1Password is awesome for 2 factor rotating tokens. It automatically pastes the 2 factor code in after it autofills your password. Or on mobile where it can't do that, it copies the code to the clipboard so you just have to paste it. It's hard to explain how much easier it is to have your 2 factor TOTP codes integrated with your password manager until you've tried it.

It's also nice that since it's backed up and encrypted in the cloud, losing your phone isn't an issue. You just have to be able to log into 1password somewhere.

Now if only more websites (especially financial ones) supported the TOTP standard. Most just use crummy SMS 2 factor...

BigJohn

Post by BigJohn » Sun May 24, 2020 5:24 pm

anon_investor wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:18 am
+1

I would never consider givingthe logon credentials for my large financial accounts to any other software program no matter how convenient it might be.

FrankTheViking

Post by FrankTheViking » Sun May 24, 2020 5:29 pm

Plan on changing annually, including the "master" password. I use 1Password.
No EF. 80% Total U.S. / 20% Total International. 100% equity. Is there a gun to your head? Is there a tiger in the room? No? What's the problem?

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Sun May 24, 2020 5:54 pm

Never. I use a password keeper. Lots and lots of characters. The strength of your password is much, much more important than changing it. The supposition there is, of course, that you use unique passwords for your investment accounts.

mrspock

Post by mrspock » Sun May 24, 2020 5:57 pm

Never. I have a password manager + 2 factor authentication + all passwords are randomly generated.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Sun May 24, 2020 6:21 pm

I keep a file with passwords and date changed. For important sites I change once a year or so - whenever I happen to notice that the date is more than a year.

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Sun May 24, 2020 6:23 pm

Very rarely. I'm mostly at Schwab, and don't bother changing passwords often anymore because collectively these steps seem sufficient to me:
- Unique, secure password, never reused on other sites (and I use a password manager)
- Symantec VIP key used on every account
- Port-out passcode is set up with my mobile carrier (redundant since I'm using that key anyway)
- Account alerts are set up and active, and I check them on a very timely basis
- I only access from maintained and secure devices (computers, phones) and networks (my own or via vpn)

Plus, I know from observation that Schwab uses algorithms to detect unusual activity patterns as well. Nothing can be 100%, but I feel safe enough this way.

Gray

Post by Gray » Thu May 28, 2020 3:16 pm

10-year user of LastPass with 500+ accounts. I use complex passwords that are unique. I use multifactor authentication with banking, email, payment (PayPal...), and e-commerce sites (Amazon...). Once you get in the habit of using a secure password manager, you have greater peace of mind. BTW, you should always keep a flash drive with an encrypted backup of your password file in a safe. Password managers are not infallible.

Shout out to Microsoft for creating the Personal Vault in OneDrive.
https://community.windows.com/en-us/sto ... onal-vault

It’s a good step in the right direction. I’d like to see something similar from Google.

midareff

Post by midareff » Thu May 28, 2020 3:27 pm

jebmke wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:06 am
Once I create a very strong PW I never change it.
= 16 character or greater upper and lower case alpha numeric with special characters. All unique per site. No need to change as nothing else can be compromised.

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Thu May 28, 2020 6:46 pm

I don't see the point in doing so. The long-term standard of 89 day changes, with upper lower special symbols and so on, isn't all that great. I think the last time I changed my password at Vanguard was when they put the better character limit. So... whenever I was last able to set CorrectHorseBatteryStaple without it being truncated.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Thu May 28, 2020 6:49 pm

Well, it was timely to read this thread and specifically see examples of using a Google Voice text-to-email phone number for institutions like Vanguard. I set it up earlier this week and it all seemed to work well. And then this morning upon waking up, I see one of those emails at 5:13 am Eastern.

I changed my password at Vanguard just in case and checked to make sure everything there looks good. Hopefully it was just a fat-finger problem or an aggregator tripping Vanguard up.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Thu May 28, 2020 6:52 pm

tvubpwcisla wrote:

Thanks!
Only when I'm required to.

TravelforFun

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Fri May 29, 2020 11:34 am

jhsu802701 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:11 am
That's why I use KeePassXC to generate, encrypt, and save passwords. It's so easy and convenient to have a different secure password for everything. KeePassXC is free, open source, and available for Linux, MacOS, and Windows. So I'm covered on any platform.
Thanks for posting this! I'm a long-time KeePass user so today I played around with KeePassXC, which I'd never heard of, and will switch to it.

(also works with FreeBSD)
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Fri May 29, 2020 1:23 pm

Never, Chromebook, LastPass,Yubikey for Google and Vanguard, G Authenticator where I can, 2FA to G Voice for the rest.