Tips to stick to a weight loss diet?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kennedy

Tips to stick to a weight loss diet?

Post by Kennedy » Fri May 22, 2020 10:46 pm

I guess a better question is, what are some tips to help stick to a weight loss (and then maintenance) way of eating? I do not want this discussion turning into medical advice that will get this locked.

It's so easy to give into temptation.

Any suggestions?

HomerJ

Re: Tips to stick to a weight loss diet?

Post by HomerJ » Fri May 22, 2020 10:51 pm

I lost a bunch of weight eating slowly...

That's it. That was the key.

Instead of two hamburgers when I grilled out or two sandwiches for lunch, I'd have one.

Other times I tried to cut back to one sandwich or one burger or one pork chop, it was painful.

Because I'd eat at my normal speed, then try to use will power to not eat a second one... That was hard... because it was so good, and I was still hungry.

But the last time I tried to lose weight, I ate slowly, and that worked... I'd take 15-20 minutes to eat the first burger. or first pork chop.. Each bite was just as good, and I'd want another bite, but I had another bite coming, so there wasn't the same will-power contest....

Much easier will power contest to say "wait 1 minute for the next bite", as opposed to "Don't eat anything else until morning".

Eating slowly, after 20 minutes, I discovered I was full, and didn't crave the second burger or pork chop as much.

(also apples - great snack - fill you up).

:)
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Fri May 22, 2020 11:08 pm

Losing weight: I put up little notes where I'd see them. Some were my goal weight. Some were just dopey sayings (Look good naked.). Some were names of (attractive) women I said I'd have to match their physique to have a 1 in a million shot if I ever ran into them.

Maintaining weight: Look in the mirror at least once daily I tell myself I'm happier now than I ever was. But if I don't stay focused, I'll be right back to my "unhappy" place.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Fri May 22, 2020 11:32 pm

Instead of snacking drink a glass of water.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Fri May 22, 2020 11:34 pm

When fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld was experiencing challenges with his weight, he sought the advice of Dr. Jean Claude Houdret, a doctor that specializes in nutrition.

They worked together to create the celebrity diet plan that helped Lagerfeld to lose 92 pounds in just over a year so that he was able to achieve his goal of being able to fit into clothes that were designed for younger and slimmer men. ...

The basic principles of the Karl Lagerfeld diet are simple and involve:

Limiting calorie and fat intake.
Avoiding refined and fried foods.
Increasing the intake of lean proteins and vegetables.

https://www.freedieting.com/karl-lagerfeld-diet
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

Picasso

Post by Picasso » Fri May 22, 2020 11:37 pm

nutritionfacts.org

This non-profit changed my health

shess

Post by shess » Sat May 23, 2020 12:18 am

Kennedy wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:46 pm
I guess a better question is, what are some tips to help stick to a weight loss (and then maintenance) way of eating? I do not want this discussion turning into medical advice that will get this locked.

Any suggestions?
I've had various approaches to weight loss, and the only time I think it _really_ worked (60 lbs in a year) was when I simply said "This is my main focus". I don't mean I didn't do anything else, I mean that I was always planning a couple days ahead and thinking on how/what to do WRT eating and exercise to keep myself in good situations as much as possible. I mean as opposed to just sorta handling everything on the fly.

This manifested in a few different ways. One was that I started tracking the problem of WHY was I eating poorly, and how could I improve? Tracking this lead to a bunch of small changes, mostly along the lines of simply setting a notification or something to go somewhere and eat intentionally and well BEFORE I was hungry - which also often took me out of situations where I made poor decisions. Think in terms of packing a healthy lunch or grabbing a salad at 11:30 before you're hungry and eating it mindfully, rather than waiting until 1pm and hitting the food court. Similarly, I added an intentional healthy snack in the afternoon to preempt hungry eating in the evening. It really helped to make eating plans in advance. Another bit which helped was that I noticed that I made poor eating decisions when I stayed up late, and poor exercise decisions the next morning - so I worked on removing the things that caused me to stay up late, and got the obvious results.

Basically, while it was really HARD, it was also really SIMPLE, I just needed to stop and pay attention to what I was doing, and it made a ton of difference. Mostly I didn't need to learn any crazy tricks, I just needed to learn how to judo myself into doing obvious things, like finding the kind of salad I _would_ eat rather than just saying "I don't like salad", or finding out what portion of something was right for my calorie burn rate. Basically, doing science on myself and then following what I found.

Unfortunately, after awhile it gets boring. I had this dialed in and nailed down for a couple years, and developed a bunch of better habits, but eventually I let other things take center stage (or worse, nothing take center stage), and I've put some pounds back on. The better habits mean it goes slowly, I'm still at a healthier weight and fitness level than I was 20 years ago, but I'm not fighting time as well as I did for those few years.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sat May 23, 2020 12:25 am

Ive lost weight multiple times over my life, but have kept it off for over five years by continuing to count calories and exercising 6 days a week. I use the app myfitnesspal to keep track. Supposedly counting calories is not great in the long run because it is a hassle, but I found it worked for me.
Another thing that helped me was having a small snack like a handful of nuts between meals so I wouldn’t get too hungry before time to eat again. Don’t drink your calories.
I also weighed myself weekly to keep track. During the active weight loss phase I lifted weights 3 days a week and worked up to an hour of cardio. Now in maintenance mode I cut that back to 30 min and continue the weight training.

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Sat May 23, 2020 1:27 am

Kennedy wrote:

Any suggestions?
Listen to “The Obesity Code“ on Audible.
Upton Sinclair: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it."

German Expat

Post by German Expat » Sat May 23, 2020 2:05 am

I think it is different for everybody but for me 16/8 (there is also 18/6) works best. I use it more to maintain weight or get rid of a couple pounds from a vacation or holiday.
I don't like to be restricted but for me its quite easy not to eat until lunch especially on a work day while I am busy and working. Also I don't need to think too much then about what I eat the rest of the day. There are no snacks at the office (except if somebody brings something for their birthday) so also no temptations. I do use coffee though to make it a bit easier.
Also I don't drink any sugary drinks (including no orange juice) and try to limit alcohol to social events (currently drinking a bit more though during the lock up but on the flip side no social events anyway).

I don't do it on weekends (and not every weekday) and while travelling (either for work or vacation).

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/16 ... nt-fasting

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Sat May 23, 2020 2:55 am

I don't think of my eating habits as a diet, ever. I just think of it as a budget to maintain my ideal weight.

A cup of coffee in the morning and mid-day. I graze on nuts and low-calorie vegetables and sometimes a bit of fruit during the day (never more than a very small handful of nuts), and then for dinner I eat a reasonable amount. Very little unhealthy food (chips, candy, meat, ice cream, soft drinks, artificial sweeteners). I try to minimize dairy but will have a bit of half and half in my coffee. No beer or wine or fruit juices. I have one or two sodas sweetened with stevia, and sometimes popcorn I make on my stove, served nice and hot with some extra virgin olive oil drizzled on it and Le Guerandais Coarse Sea Salt sprinkled on it.

Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 » Sat May 23, 2020 6:53 am

Pick the correct diet (For you), I finally found one that worked for us.
After many years of being miserable dieting and doing the yoyo weight off weight on again...
4yrs ago my wife and I started something different she lost 50 lbs I lost 70, took 2.5 years to do it, no exercise included.
last 1.5 yrs kept it off and weight stays steady.
Doesn't even feel like a diet, it just seems natural now. Doctors happy as well.

Everyone is different, try new and different things, not just the accepted norm.

mystupidglasses

Post by mystupidglasses » Sat May 23, 2020 7:38 am

What has worked for me personally is cutting out carbs (with a concomitant increase in fat intake). AKA keto. This has allowed me to eat as much as I want without thinking about calories and I always feel satiated, full, and energetic. And my blood test numbers all improved.

SpaniardInCalifornia

Post by SpaniardInCalifornia » Sat May 23, 2020 8:09 am

Everyone is different but I too have switched to a low carb Leto diet during this shelter at home... 25lbs down in 3 months... Low carb can be tough but I’ve been able to do it by splurging more on good proteins and fat to the point that I am not hungry... Yes keeping track of what you eat is a pain at first but eventually you get used to it and you start being able to estimate what you’re eating much better... and this has been with little exercises besides a 30 minute walk daily given the gyms are closed!
However, it’s definitely not for everyone... a lot of people find it hard to give up pasta, rice, bread or potatoes!

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat May 23, 2020 8:26 am

There are a million ways to skin a cat, and for the most part everybody knows what they need to do (easy in theory, difficult in practice). Every "diet" can work as long as you are tilting the equation to a negative energy balance; I say this as someone whose PhD is in kinesiology-obesity studies, and studied nutrition and exercise physiology for undergrad and MS. Regardless of what and when you decide to eat, it all comes down to habits and behavior. You have to change how you look at food. We've (I sit on the board of a medical facility who has a program focused on metabolic syndrome) seen quite a bit of success combining cognitive behavioral therapy with nutrition education and exercise programs.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat May 23, 2020 8:35 am

SpaniardInCalifornia wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:09 am
Everyone is different but I too have switched to a low carb Leto diet during this shelter at home... 25lbs down in 3 months... Low carb can be tough but I’ve been able to do it by splurging more on good proteins and fat to the point that I am not hungry... Yes keeping track of what you eat is a pain at first but eventually you get used to it and you start being able to estimate what you’re eating much better... and this has been with little exercises besides a 30 minute walk daily given the gyms are closed!
However, it’s definitely not for everyone... a lot of people find it hard to give up pasta, rice, bread or potatoes!
There are now some wonderful low/lower carb pastas.
We prefer "Banza" (made from garbanzo beans, primarily), which is also high in protein, vs some other lower-carb pastas.
These are surprisingly good, but it takes a bit of time to figure out the right cooking time.
And if there is a good sauce (or mac and cheese combo, etc.), then it's really easy to make it "good".

And there is also the "riced cauliflower", which is a good alternative to, well, rice. Again, especially if there is a nice sauce...

We needed to change food choices, about 1-2 years ago, when DH was unexpectedly diagnosed with serious celiac disease, and he could no longer eat anything with gluten.
(Yes, it's true "celiac disease", and not just a "preference". We were stunned to learn that he'd already had some damage from the disease. We have no idea if it was late onset or just late diagnosis.)

And I needed to learn new recipes and cooking strategies, fast!

There are some great choices nowadays. Some are also with carbs, just different carbs (e.g., rice, but not wheat), but there are lots of choices that substitute more protein.
And one can find recipes that use nut flours (e.g., almond flour), which have healthy/healthier fats as well.

There are lots of good ingredients out there these days, making this easier, be it for weight loss, better nutrition, etc.
Much of it tastes really good :happy

Note: "Gluten free" and "low carb" are *not* identical, but the recipes and food choices can be the same or similar, depending upon what one prefers or needs.
[N.b.: I did research in this area, but it was some time ago. DH's diagnosis was quite a few years after my research.]

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Sat May 23, 2020 8:37 am

Personally, I believe that the focus on heavy exercise and calorie counting make what is a "simple" set of facts so daunting that people give up. As with most difficult behaviors or addictions, most of us know what we need to do, want to do it, have "stopped" several times but continue to struggle with "quitting."
The past year has been successful once accepting that eating habits must change. Specifically, once creating the concept of what, when and how much I eat began to occur, I had my "investment plan" outline. The "what" involved looking at accompanying information with food items, not for calorie counting but to see if simple changes could be made. The one change that made a difference is related to salad dressing. I enjoy salads, particularly with large servings of Blue Cheese, Ranch or Thousand Island dressing. They may have up to 190 calories for two tablespoons, and I might use five with a large salad. Searching, I have found ones with 40-50 calories per two tablespoons that taste good, a significant saving. The "When" has resulted in one change, that being eating more earlier in the day and focusing on eating only at mealtimes, with one exception. The exception is eating "Skinny Popcorn" which has 140 calories for 3 3/4 cups. This has cut out "grazing" which has been a habit many of us have of opening the fridge and just selecting something that appeals when really not hungry. The "How much" is related to portion control, the biggest issue for me. Though generally eating healthily, eating too much has been an issue. Eating more earlier in the day has helped, and eating about two or three Lean Cuisine's a week for supper has helped. It is surprisingly good tasting and about 290-320 calories. That's it other than continuing to have a glass of wine or a shot of whisky about five days a week, particularly with the boredom related to the current situation. Past five months have resulted in dropping 30 pounds and reaching a level recommended. Reinforcement occurs as you do feel better, have lowered BP, sleep better, etc. This is not advice, just an anecdotal statement that says what we need to do is not the issue, it is finding a pattern that works for us. Exercise is important, but the key for me was cutting down on calories without the tedium of counting them while continuing to exercise by walking and yard work.

Tim

yangtui

Post by yangtui » Sat May 23, 2020 8:44 am

I allow myself to eat as much as I want of specific things. Other things I am allowed to eat in moderation on a limited basis. A bunch of things can never be consumed. The goal is to set things up so little to no willpower is required to stick to your diet. If I couple this with feel good exercising (heavy weight lifting and HIIT) everything is good. I try to avoid taxing my willpower too much.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat May 23, 2020 8:48 am

More than a temporary "weight loss diet". . .
how about a healthy and nutrional eating "lifestyle" that can be maintained daily, monthly, yearly, for life?

*Not dietary or medical information.
** A comparison of 2 overall approaches/views toward "food" and "eating".

Such as:
Lean fish, chicken, proteins.
Steamed vegetables
Salads (real ones not leaf salads in restaurants)
Etc.

Eliminating or minimize:
Processed meats and foods.
Foods in a box.
Cheeses and processed dairy
carbs/sugars sugars/carbs
Etc.

And, eating in amounts and times to fit your metabolism, caloric and nutritional needs, and daily life and activity cycle.

The above takes discipline and conscienciousness.
We are what we eat.
Food effects everything within us; energy level, hormones, metabolism, mood, etc.

So. . ."weight loss diet" VS "healthy nutritional eating lifestyle?"

Another example:*(not medical or dietary info)

Daily: frozen pizza, fast foods, convenience foods (food from the store in a box or pre made), processed grains, deserts, pastries, breads, sweetened foods and drinks. Processed carbs and cheeses/dairy and processed foods make up much of what is in the supermarket.
OR
Daily:
(the opposite of the above) (what kinds of carbs does one eat?)
(huge meals late in the day or early? When do we eat what and how much?)
(how hard is it to digest what we eat?)

Much like a comprehensive boglehead portfolio review, check your allocations.
IE:
%Activity/%eating/%daily routines/%thinking/%stress
*This also depends on age, innate physicality, lifestyle, etc. Everyone is different. IE: 30 year old fitness trainer vs 60 year old more sedentary lifestyle with health disabilties?

Delete the word "diet" forever. Insert: "lifestyle".

Some of what I have done:
Worked with a nutritionist many decades ago.
Went to Weight Watchers to learn what creates obesity and overweight conditions, strategies, etc. (I was not overweight).
Keep a daily food and activity (supplements and meds) log/chart. (I've used those grade school marble tablets since forever)
(this way you see the causitive effects of why you feel and weigh, etc, as you do vs what you did and ate, etc) Self Learning.
Weigh myself every morning. Also goes into my daily log at the top of the page.
Understand that "avoiding inactivity" also works well VS going to the gym, "working out", etc, where daily options are limited.
Have an active lifestyle.

Hope this helps.
j :happy

** Warning: following the forum thread; “What Have You Baked Lately” will result in weight gain😬😬
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sat May 23, 2020 9:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

PhoebeCoco

Post by PhoebeCoco » Sat May 23, 2020 8:58 am

Whole 30 worked for me. I have eliminated dairy from my diet completely, and lost (and kept off) 15 pounds.
If you're not working on yourself, you're not working.

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Sat May 23, 2020 8:59 am

This guy agrees with you about the Keto diet.

https://youtu.be/jXXGxoNFag4
Upton Sinclair: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it."

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sat May 23, 2020 9:01 am

Arnold wrote in one of his bodybuilding books that at one point he needed to focus on his calf muscles as they were the weakest part of his physique, so he took his workout clothes and cut the pants off at the knees so he was constantly aware of his calf muscles and thus the need to work on them.

You can do something similar to keep your focus on losing weight. Wear clothes that are a bit too small for you, that you have to squeeze into. Then your mind will be focused and your will set to continue weight loss. You will think twice about overeating.

You could also follow The Munchkin Man Diet, described here: viewtopic.php?t=112026

Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 » Sat May 23, 2020 9:07 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:35 am
There are now some wonderful low/lower carb pastas.
We prefer "Banza" (made from garbanzo beans, primarily), which is also high in protein, vs some other lower-carb pastas.
These are surprisingly good, but it takes a bit of time to figure out the right cooking time.
And if there is a good sauce (or mac and cheese combo, etc.), then it's really easy to make it "good".

And there is also the "riced cauliflower", which is a good alternative to, well, rice. Again, especially if there is a nice sauce...

We needed to change food choices, about 1-2 years ago, when DH was unexpectedly diagnosed with serious celiac disease, and he could no longer eat anything with gluten.
(Yes, it's true "celiac disease", and not just a "preference". We were stunned to learn that he'd already had some damage from the disease. We have no idea if it was late onset or just late diagnosis.)

And I needed to learn new recipes and cooking strategies, fast!

There are some great choices nowadays. Some are also with carbs, just different carbs (e.g., rice, but not wheat), but there are lots of choices that substitute more protein.
And one can find recipes that use nut flours (e.g., almond flour), which have healthy/healthier fats as well.

There are lots of good ingredients out there these days, making this easier, be it for weight loss, better nutrition, etc.
Much of it tastes really good :happy

Note: "Gluten free" and "low carb" are *not* identical, but the recipes and food choices can be the same or similar, depending upon what one prefers or needs.
[N.b.: I did research in this area, but it was some time ago. DH's diagnosis was quite a few years after my research.]

RM
A suggestion, as I recently became gluten intolerant, Corn tortillas, yellow or white. I use the 6" size. Carbs aren't bad either.
Depending on the microwave strength (I have a large one) 60 seconds for one yellow on high, 90 sec for 2. comes out dry and crispy like a corn chip.
Use it for a mini pizza, melt a slice of cheese on it, ham, salami and cheese etc etc.
30 seconds will give you a "soft" tortilla for rolling anything in it. and then reheat if you wish.

An extra hint is to use a silicone mat on the glass in the microwave, just lay the tortilla on it, no need for a plate or paper towel.

A white corn tortilla takes a little longer in the microwave for some reason 15 sec extra? Crisped with a very small pat of butter wiped along one side to melt on it and a little salt, tastes very similar to an English muffin, seems to me the flavor to a Thomas's English muffin is due to the "Corn" grits on the outside of it.

Mission brand is the one we like the best, Walmart brand and Kroger brand are "Mission" but cheaper. :beer

iceport

Post by iceport » Sat May 23, 2020 9:15 am

Kennedy wrote:

Any suggestions?
I focused on quality, not quantity.

You can eat the right kinds of foods to your full contentment and they won't cause weight gain. My salads typically fill a serving bowl, for example. An Instant Pot really helps me in that respect too, because whole grains and legumes of all kinds are really easy to cook and clean up after. (It's kind of like using a washing machine: you load it up, close the lid, turn it on and go about your life.) Minimal added sugar, minimal highly processed carbohydrates, minimal processing in general, little saturated fat, lots of greens, fruits and veggies, healthy fats, etc. It does require making eating better quality food a priority. And it's a whole lot easier now in retirement than before, because more home cooking time is usually required, and way less dining out. But if you're in hunker-down mode because of the virus anyway, it might be a good opportunity to commit some more time to eating well.

Also focus on buying only healthy foods. Are there times when I crave junk food? Absolutely!!! And one excursion can set me up for a cycle of even more cravings. But because I don't buy junk food, there's none available in my house, and I need to find alternatives. A luscious, ripe mango with plain non-fat yogurt makes a really sweet, satisfying snack. Or some hot bulgur wheat cooked with apples and cinnamon (5 minutes in an Instant Pot), with maybe a drizzle of honey. The only junk food I buy anymore is a box of table water crackers, and I'll occasionally have a few with thin slivers of hard cheese.

You only asked about the eating part, but frequent exercise is probably also essential for healthy weight loss. Paradoxically, under some circumstances, it also seems to help regulate appetite — at least it does for me at times — which gets back to your question.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat May 23, 2020 9:18 am

It starts at the grocery store. Don't buy things that you don't want to eat.

It helps if everyone in the house is on the same diet plan otherwise you'll end up eating "their" food.

Also, make sure you have a quick and easy alternative to what you no longer want to eat.

It is not cheap but I have plant based meals delivered to my house which gives me an easy alternative to high carb dishes like pasta.

And walk at least 20 minutes per day, to start, an hour if you can.

PoppyA

Post by PoppyA » Sat May 23, 2020 9:23 am

All good advice here. What helped me is understanding food and serving size. Weight watchers taught me a bunch of good info, and tips.

Some people don’t know what food is high in protein, what processed food is, how “low fat” options are sometimes deceptive.

With the knowledge they taught me, I can easily make the best choices. I track my eating with the free app “Lose it”. I also learn from the app when I see the calorie choices I make, or don’t make. Overtime small choices/changes add up.

The thing That challenges me the most is eating out. I love a salad with grilled salmon. I often order children’s size meals. Sometimes I split my meal in half and get two meals out of it(really, most restaurant meals are at least double the recommended size.). I wish restaurants would go back to the meal sizes of the 60’s. Remember when a sandwich on regular bread, or a bowl of soup was enough for lunch?

And I agree. You have to stay focused, and always pay attention. Make it a priority in your lifestyle.

jhsu802701

Post by jhsu802701 » Sat May 23, 2020 10:13 am

It's easy for me to stick to my favorite diet, which is called Wait For Summer. The warmer months of the year bring me a smaller appetite and more chances to exercise. It also helps that this is the slow season for eating sugary junk foods, because Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas are a long way off.

DesertGator

Post by DesertGator » Sat May 23, 2020 10:18 am

Read the book "Presto" by Penn Jillette (yes, the magician). A fun (but somewhat profane) read, and I think it might help you - really.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sat May 23, 2020 10:26 am

I've struggled with my weight my whole life, having been large in high school, losing a significant amount of weight my freshman year in college, gaining a significant amount of weight my junior and senior years of college, losing a significant amount of weight after college and now I am in between my "should be weight" and my "big weight" and have been here for several years. The only way I was ever able to maintain my "should be" weight is by continuing to eat and exercise the way I got there as I seemed to had hit a wall on how small I could get.

There is no magic formula. I don't really believe those who say you can retrain your body. You simply need to have willpower and lots of it. For example, I love pizza. I could eat an entire pie every day for the rest of my life. I'll never look at pizza and a salad and think "salad! that's what I'm talking about!" I have just resolved myself to not eating pizza more than once a month.

My suggestion is to turn eating from something pleasurable into something that you simply need to do every day to live. Find pleasure in another outlet.

shess

Post by shess » Sat May 23, 2020 11:56 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:26 am
There is no magic formula. I don't really believe those who say you can retrain your body. You simply need to have willpower and lots of it. For example, I love pizza. I could eat an entire pie every day for the rest of my life. I'll never look at pizza and a salad and think "salad! that's what I'm talking about!" I have just resolved myself to not eating pizza more than once a month.

My suggestion is to turn eating from something pleasurable into something that you simply need to do every day to live. Find pleasure in another outlet.
I agree that "retrain your body" is not a good general approach. When I was losing weight, I would watch my friends who were absurdly (even scary) thin, and they honestly didn't eat weird. They probably ate _less_ than me, since they weighed half what I weighed, but to me it just looked like they just ate stuff. There obviously are metabolic differences between people, and there obviously is a certain amount of "training" you can do, but I'm pretty sure I'll NEVER manage to train my body into their metabolism. Just like I can train my body to ride my bike faster or longer within the bounds of what my body is capable of, but I'll never be able to train myself into Taylor Phinney, regardless of how much effort I put into it.

THAT SAID, I was also surprised (and a little appalled) by how much of my eating was habit which I _could_ change. I'm with you on the pizza-vs-salad thing, when I started my journey I'd no more eat a salad than eat drywall! But after spending some time focussing on salad-like things, now I have some kinds of salad which I _do_ like, so I've been able to make salad a tool in my calorie budget. And, in fact, after expanding what I considered food in that way, I have actually had the experience of craving a salad.

More generally, I'm a picky eater, and decided that saying "I don't like vegetables" was a poor approach, given the benefits of vegetables in calorie control, so instead I switched it to "Of the vegetables that exist, which ones do I not mind?" So while I continue to consider green beans and asparagus as simply vile, I'm fine with broccoli, and I quite enjoy certain preparations of cabbage, and lately I'm infatuated with the holy trinity (onion, bell pepper, and celery).

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sat May 23, 2020 12:18 pm

mystupidglasses wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:38 am
What has worked for me personally is cutting out carbs (with a concomitant increase in fat intake). AKA keto. This has allowed me to eat as much as I want without thinking about calories and I always feel satiated, full, and energetic. And my blood test numbers all improved.
unfortunately the cost of bacon has gone up :( but when I cut carbs I always feel SO much better. Its unbelievable. Though its also difficult as so many items we use daily have some bit of sugar/carb (ketchup for example).

-----------

I see lots of 'eat a handful of nuts' posts. I love nuts too, but have found they are way way to easy to overeat. Especially a great tasting Fisher peanut w/ that salty coating on it.

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Sat May 23, 2020 1:26 pm

OP,

A subject dear to my own journey.....

I have been overweight almost my entire life (probably in the Medically obese category) and have tried lots of diets,excercise, fasting etc.

Here are some suggestions that worked for me:
- Focused on a lifestyle shift, not a diet
- It is a long term transition, have lost 90 lbs in about 3 years.
- Nothing is really off limits but I have reduced portion sizes gradually. I am amazed at the amounts I used to eat (say an entire sandwich from a deli) to what I eat now (half a sandwich and feel stuffed).
- Major reductions in what I eat for dinner, much, much smaller portions, almost no meat and little carbs.
- Lunch is now our main meal, not dinner. I enjoy soups and salads and find them both satisfying and nutritious.
- Larger breakfasts than before, but not huge portions of Eggs, Potatoes, Toast etc.
- A lot more walking! Especially during the SIP - it is definitely my happy place.
- I am much more conscious now of when I feel full and just stop eating. Still challenging when eating while watching TV or Reading—just learned to be more aware.

It’s definitely working! I have about 35 lbs to go and find that I plateau for a few months and then drop through when I least expect it. In some ways it’s like saving for Retirement, the more automatic it becomes, the less I focus on it, the more effective it has been. The key for me is never feeling deprived.

WoodSpinner

Topic Author
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Sat May 23, 2020 1:48 pm

Jags4186 wrote:

Wow. Just wow. I think this is the key. Thank you.

MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb » Sat May 23, 2020 2:00 pm

I found that MyFitnessPal helps a lot. In exchange for them being able to sell your consumption habits to advertisers, they give you an easy way to track what you eat broken down by calories and macronutrients. The biggest benefits are the ability to see how much you've eaten today compared with your target and the ability to see the calorie "cost" of any given food item. I found that it helped me shift from eating high cost foods that, while good, weren't worth the cost, to more low cost foods that weren't bad and were cheap.

I think another important mental shift is to think in terms of adopting a new permanent lifestyle rather than "going on a diet". For this to work, you've got to get into an eating pattern that can work permanently. Things like Whole30 are great for dropping weight, but I know of few people that like living that way enough to continue and so they put the weight back on once they are done.

shess

Post by shess » Sat May 23, 2020 2:20 pm

MarkBarb wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:00 pm
I think another important mental shift is to think in terms of adopting a new permanent lifestyle rather than "going on a diet". For this to work, you've got to get into an eating pattern that can work permanently. Things like Whole30 are great for dropping weight, but I know of few people that like living that way enough to continue and so they put the weight back on once they are done.
I think this is true. What was sticky for me was thinking "How would I eat if I were eating healthy at my target weight in ten years?" I had to change course multiple times, both because I was wrong about what I'd be willing to eat, and because I was wrong about how much was an appropriate amount. But as you dial that in, you'll asymptotically approach your target.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Sat May 23, 2020 2:30 pm

Kennedy wrote:

Any suggestions?
My first choice: build muscle mass. It’s the easiest way to build up your metabolism. You can still eat what you like, and don’t have to stick to a diet you hate. The key thing here is that can you make it as your way of life? You don’t have to make any effort to maintain a specific type of diet anymore.

Up there, someone mentioned eating slowly. I agree. Be present, eat slow, chew at least 10 times, and don’t have drinks with you meals.

Cartwheel

Post by Cartwheel » Sat May 23, 2020 2:35 pm

Eat two meals a day (skip breakfast); make your first meal the main meal. Eat your last meal at least two hours before bed.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Sun May 24, 2020 12:17 am

Kennedy wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:48 pm
Jags4186 wrote:

Wow. Just wow. I think this is the key. Thank you.
It probably works (if one can do it), but seems so sad.

Eating is pleasurable. Again, try eating slow. You still get the pleasure, but if you eat slowly, your body will have time to tell your brain that you're full, and it's not nearly as hard to stop.

I LOVE food. I always groan when Dr. Phil (or whoever) talks about how people get fat because they are eating to fill some emotional hole. That may or may not be true... But I eat because it tastes good.

It's one of life's joys.

But too much makes you fat.

Finding a balance is hard, I 100% agree. Eating slow worked for me. It may not work for others...

But just giving up on food as pleasure?? That seems even harder.
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sun May 24, 2020 3:24 am

When I have had success it has been tracking what I eat, which has been my fitness pal. If I am diligent it keeps me honest, and isn't necessarily that hard. Inevitably I stop tracking after months, and may keep it off for a bit but then revert to bad habits. I'm once again giving it a try, and hopefully stick with it permanently.

For me nothing fancy, but limit portion size, and try to mostly eliminate junk, especially added sugar.

Sometimes it takes analyzing your habits. My weakness is after dinner and watching TV. If I would break those habits it would be even easier. I have heard that some have success simply not eating after a certain time, such as 7pm. Also lack of sleep definitely increases appetite.

RobLyons

Post by RobLyons » Sun May 24, 2020 4:05 am

Trial and error. What works for one person may not work for another. My most success came from counting macros, adding more fruits and veggies and weighing myself daily. Other tips:

Not buying the food that makes you over consume (ice cream and sweets for me)
Increasing lean protein intake
Increasing green leafy vegetables
Eating fruit / veggies before main meal
Drinking more water
Keeping busy
Skipping a meal if not very hungry
Cutting back on fast food

Good luck!
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"

Poorman

Post by Poorman » Sun May 24, 2020 6:25 am

Carnivore diet. Eat as much as you want and you'll feel full and lose weight. When you are ar desired weight start eating a little carbs but not go crazy.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Sun May 24, 2020 6:33 am

I'm a tall guy and would be a "big" guy if I ate more than 1800 to 2000 calories a day. When I was in high school I dropped 25% of my bodyweight by starving myself...not a good idea; now I stick to my regime in a better way.

First I exercise. Second, there are no sweets in the house. Before the pandemic, I'd go grocery shopping every day to get fruit since I will literally eat a three pound bag of apples in a day if it were here.

Third I found there are a number of foods which aggravate some conditions so I don't eat any sugar, white flour, no yeast, and only very limited cheese, milk and eggs. No artificial sweeteners and I check ingredients to avoid MSG. I do eat chicken; I have not had red meat in over 40 years.

What I have found is that if I don't have the foods I want to avoid, over time the craving stops, but like other things in life we like which we should avoid, if I have a taste, I have to start all over.

I have saved a lot of $ on food, eat what I want, albeit its a bit limited. Today we are having a cookout in the field behind my house. I supply the location, the family brings the food. I will have fruit salad, vegetable salad, chicken, hopefully someone will bring sweet potato chips. I will just ignore the buns, the desserts. I do make an awesome bourbon, coke and peanut drink so I will indulge that - it is the only use for soda that I have now.

I've saved $ on medication also, with still at my advancing age, no daily medications.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Sun May 24, 2020 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

tvubpwcisla

Post by tvubpwcisla » Sun May 24, 2020 6:37 am

The only person that can stop you from sticking to a weight loss diet is you. It's not easy; however, you have to be extremely driven and be tough with yourself when the negative thoughts creep in.
Stay invested my friends.

sd323232

Post by sd323232 » Sun May 24, 2020 6:59 am

Losing weight is 5% knowledge, and 95% behavioral, just like building up your networth (spend less than what you make). There is no trick, no secret, its straightforward.

You need to have caloric deficit. Consume less calories then your body burns. First you need to find how much calories you burn on average day, then, eat less calories than that. Thats why you dont need to exercise to loss weight. It is hard work and will require years and years, there is no short cut.

treadingwater

Post by treadingwater » Sun May 24, 2020 7:29 am

Eat more slowly by chewing longer. This gives the body time to signal you are full, before you have overeaten. Drink a glass of water before eating. Make breakfast the largest meal of the day. Load your plate with mostly plants, the fiber, water content, low calorie density, fill you up and replace the unhealthy options. Don't purchase foods you know shouldn't be in the house so that willpower isn't a constant exercise. If its there, its easier to have a weak moment. Eliminate soda and juice. These are quickly absorbed calories and studies show they do a poor job with satiety. Get enough sleep, being tired increases appetite and reduces the ability to make good choices. Weigh yourself twice daily, it can help keep your focus on your goal. Study the science of nutrition so that your food choices become as healthful as possible. As another poster suggested, I have found nutritionfacts.org to be helpful.
"It never hurts to keep looking for sunshine." - Eeyore

novillero

Post by novillero » Sun May 24, 2020 7:47 am

I recently lost over 50 pounds.

Intermittent fasting 16/8 rule (basically skipping breakfast and only eating during an 8 hour window - and that is strict, not one calorie outside that window. Not even a stick of gum or milk in your coffee)

The other thing was I saw how sedentary I was. I always have my phone on me and I was averaging just over 1,000 steps a day. I make sure I break the 10,000 mark every single day. To ensure I do this, I bought a cheap pedaler for just over $20 to pedal while watching tv.

I found that when I did the fasting I had more self control. I wasn’t going to waste my food intake with poor decisions. And I also planned my meals for work lunches. Include snacks in your thoughts as if you get hungry make sure your decision to eat a bit more does not find itself at the candy bowl.

Patzer

Post by Patzer » Sun May 24, 2020 7:53 am

Kennedy wrote:

Any suggestions?
This is what works for me, not necessarily everyone else.
1. Set yourself up for Portion Control success.
Do not deny yourself food you like. This is not sustainable long-term. Eating what you like in moderation is the key, but you want to make the limiting decision before you are eating or you will probably fail.
When I buy steak in the store, instead of picking out a 16 ounce steak, I buy a 10 ounce steak, cook a 10 ounce steak, and they I can only eat an 10 ounce steak. If I buy a 16 ounce steak and tell myself the rest will be leftovers, I will end up eating it all.

2. Eat out of smaller plates and bowls.
I used to serve ice cream in a large bowl (maybe 8" in diameter), and a small serving looks puny.
Now, I serve it in a 4" glass bowl. A smaller serving still looks big.

3. Find Snack Time Fillers
I usually snack, because I am bored or want a break from what I am doing, not because I am hungry.
Print and put a picture of a your shoes next to your snacks. If you are just snacking, because you are bored, see the picture of your shoes and go for a 5-15 minute walk around the neighborhood.
If am still craving something, but not really significantly hungry, I will drink a seltzer. There 0 calorie, all natural ones, that taste amazing.
Finally, if I am hungry and want a snack, follow rule 1 and 2. Don't take the bag to the TV. Instead put a few chips in a small bowl.

Patzer

Post by Patzer » Sun May 24, 2020 8:00 am

HomerJ wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:51 pm
(also apples - great snack - fill you up).
+1
Apples also reduce ghrelin production, which is the hormone that tells you that you are hungry.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun May 24, 2020 8:25 am

novillero wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:47 am
I recently lost over 50 pounds.

Intermittent fasting 16/8 rule (basically skipping breakfast and only eating during an 8 hour window - and that is strict, not one calorie outside that window. Not even a stick of gum or milk in your coffee)

The other thing was I saw how sedentary I was. I always have my phone on me and I was averaging just over 1,000 steps a day. I make sure I break the 10,000 mark every single day. To ensure I do this, I bought a cheap pedaler for just over $20 to pedal while watching tv.

I found that when I did the fasting I had more self control. I wasn’t going to waste my food intake with poor decisions. And I also planned my meals for work lunches. Include snacks in your thoughts as if you get hungry make sure your decision to eat a bit more does not find itself at the candy bowl.
Great discipline!!
Congratulations!!
j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

johnegonpdx

Post by johnegonpdx » Sun May 24, 2020 8:29 am

If I keep my carb intake low and mostly whole grains, I can easily stick to my dieting.
Also, highly recommend intermittent fasting + daily food diary + weekly weigh-ins.