Saving Dashlane Generated Passwords

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
boblink

Post by boblink » Fri May 22, 2020 4:52 pm

Hello, after I save a password(s) that was generated by Dashlane and I need to manually change the password on the respective Website (I will use Google Gmail as an example). I then would sign-in to Gmail and change my password to the Generate Password created by Dashlane).
Google will ask me if I want to save the (new) Gmail password and my question is, what should I do in this scenario, allowing Google to save the password or not allow Google to save the new password and go to (use) Dashlane to sign-in to my Gmail account?
Thank you guys
bOb

bob60014

Re: Saving Dashlane Generated Passwords

Post by bob60014 » Fri May 22, 2020 5:00 pm

Answer no, Google will not save the new password. Dashlane will auto fill this for you.
Also, Go back into Google- Settings- Passwords and turn off "Save Passwords" You wont have Google asking to save any passwords anymore.

Topic Author
boblink

Post by boblink » Fri May 22, 2020 5:22 pm

Thank you for your help Bob, I am a bit confused when you say "Google will not save the new password. Dashlane will auto fill this for you" the Dashlane will auto-fill this for you is what I don't understand.
I thought that the Dashlane Password Generated function generates a long-safe password and updates the password on all affected internal locations in Dashlane but does not update the affected website in my example it would be the Gmail password, I would have to do that manually.
I would appreciate it if you could please steer me in the right direction Bob since I apparently am out in leftfield as how Dashlane works?
bOb

mhalley

Re: Saving Dashlane Generated Passwords

Post by mhalley » Sat May 23, 2020 12:29 am

If google saves the password, you are negating the positive aspects of having a PW manager, as anyone can sit down at your computer and login to all your accounts. To login to your accounts, the person would need to know your dashlane pow to gain access.
In order for dashlane to auto fill the POW you need to install the extension on your browser.
https://support.dashlane.com/hc/en-us/a ... /202624982