Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Thu May 14, 2020 9:13 am

livesoft wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:18 am
This fledgling cardinal didn't get very far.

Awww! Great photo!

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Thu May 14, 2020 10:05 am

Miriam2 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:43 am
Fallible wrote:Just a decent video of all this could've entertained a wide audience, but it’s all just in my memory. :oops:
No it's not just in your memory - you just painted moving pictures in our little heads :D
Miriam2, your comment just made my day. Thank you!
John Bogle on his often bumpy road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

pomomojo

Post by pomomojo » Thu May 14, 2020 11:59 am

Warblers have been spotted all over central and northern NJ for the past 2 weeks. My wife and I having been making AM trips to the local wildlife areas and Audobon preserves. I've been using my new Sony setup, which is good but not great for bird photography (mediocre ISO performance & focus speed as compared to A9/A9II). The "keeper" percentage is low, but the quality is great.

Significant sightings include:
Baltimore Oriole
Indigo Bunting
Rose Breasted Grosbeak
Northern Parula
Scarlet Tanager
Yellow Rumped Warbler
B&W warbler
Black Throated Blue Warbler
American Redstart
Palm Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Ovenbird
Hermit Thrush
Brown Thrasher
Sandpiper type species (Lesser Yellowlegs, Sanderlings, etc) have also begun to appear in the NJ wetlands

Indigo Bunting

Ovenbird
ImageOvenbird by Pomo Mojo

B&W warbler
ImageBlack & White Warbler by Pomo Mojo

Female Scarlet Tanager
ImageFemale Scarlett Tanager by Pomo Mojo

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Thu May 14, 2020 12:07 pm

^ pomomojo:

Thanks for posting the nice photos! :happy

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu May 14, 2020 3:16 pm

Another fledgling who thinks I might be Mom or Dad.

Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

TnGuy

Post by TnGuy » Thu May 14, 2020 5:53 pm

Had the pleasure of seeing one of these take a bath earlier today.

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx

drjazz

Post by drjazz » Thu May 14, 2020 6:59 pm

In the past week in my yard (Bucks County PA near Delaware River)
1. Immature bald eagle
2.Scarlet tanager
3.White eyed vireo
4.Wood thrush

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu May 14, 2020 7:12 pm

pomomojo wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:59 am
. . . .
Beautiful images.
Thanks for posting!
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

MSU1526

Post by MSU1526 » Fri May 15, 2020 6:46 am

One of my favorite things about spring time as a bird watcher is the return of the Baltimore Orioles (I'm in Michigan). I wish I had the photography skills of many here, as at any given time we'll have four or five of them between our two orange stations we have set up for them. We've also had a few orchard orioles, which I had never heard of until doing some research this year. They are more of a rusty orange compared to a Baltimore oriole. We just spotted our first pair of grosbeaks for the year two days ago, too. With three regular feeders up in addition to our oranges and hummingbird feeders, we see a ton of sparrows, finches, cardinals, and blue jays. Now I'm just waiting on an indigo bunting or a scarlet tanager to make an appearance. This stay at home/work from home order has done wonders for my bird watching :D

shunkman

Post by shunkman » Fri May 15, 2020 7:36 am

We've had more Rose Breasted Grosbeaks at our feeder in north-central PA than ever before. 3 males and 4 females feeding at one time. We are wondering if there are more Rose Breasted Grosbeaks this year or maybe less food that they normally forage for thus driving them to our feeder?

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Fri May 15, 2020 12:02 pm

The Hummingbirds arrived this morning from their long journey right on schedule....May 15. All 4 hummer feeders have been occupied this morning. It is amazing how they know the calendar.
Just because it isn't your fault doesn't mean it isn't your responsibility....Josh Reid Jones

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Fri May 15, 2020 12:10 pm

Sheepdog wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:02 pm
The Hummingbirds arrived this morning from their long journey right on schedule....May 15. All 4 hummer feeders have been occupied this morning. It is amazing how they know the calendar.
That's great! So fun to watch hummers. I hear them more often than I see them lately!

shunkman

Post by shunkman » Fri May 15, 2020 3:01 pm

Sheepdog wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:02 pm
I wasn't sure that I was going to hang a hummingbird feeder at our cabin this year. Then I saw a hummingbird buzzing around the exact spot where I have hung it for the past 11 years. That was my prompt get the feeder out and fill it. Apparently they return to the same location year after year.

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Fri May 15, 2020 3:22 pm

I had the fun of chasing two Curved-bill thrasher babies, catching, and moving them to the other side of the fence where mom and dad were waiting. We have a 3 foot tall hardware cloth fence to keep the rattlesnakes out and my 2 african tortoises in. I have 2 nests inside the fence, so I will probably repeat this in anothe week.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Fri May 15, 2020 3:29 pm

Cardinals singing, robins eating, lots of nesting actives in all spices. And the Crackles, keep the June bugs cleaned up. Even the crows have been noisy of late.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Sat May 16, 2020 11:07 am

Saw a white-crowned sparrow today (identified with Merlin) in the Pacific NW. Such a bold black-and-white head pattern.

The pretty violet-green swallows continue to be the most numerous bird in our neighborhood, followed by dark-eyed (Oregon) juncos and house finches. And my 5:00 am buddy, the talkative black-capped chickadee. :wink:

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Sat May 16, 2020 11:29 am

CardinalRule wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:07 am
Saw a white-crowned sparrow today (identified with Merlin) in the Pacific NW. Such a bold black-and-white head pattern.

The pretty violet-green swallows continue to be the most numerous bird in our neighborhood, followed by dark-eyed (Oregon) juncos and house finches. And my 5:00 am buddy, the talkative black-capped chickadee. :wink:
Nice! I also see white-crowned sparrows in my yard from time to time. They are very striking. I have barn swallows nesting on the porch again this year.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat May 16, 2020 11:31 am

Small mixed flock of Least Sandpipers and Semi-Palmated Plovers on the mud in the creek this morning. Tide was out so plenty of mudflats to forage on.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sat May 16, 2020 1:22 pm

Sheepdog wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:38 am
I have been watching the last couple of days a robin trying to get a tied on piece of string from a clematis support. He tried and tried. Finally I went out to cut the string, but left it hanging. He came back, I guess, because the string is gone. He is a persistent robin. ...
A persistent robin and a lucky one to have you make his work easier. I wouldn't be surprised if he'd watched you cut the string, or maybe even expected you to because of your care for the other birds. It's nice to think, but who knows?

I enjoyed your entire post.
John Bogle on his often bumpy road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

iceport

Post by iceport » Sat May 16, 2020 2:01 pm

One of the resident pileated woodpeckers was feeling sociable today. (Not a good image, but a decent pose.)

Of much greater interest was what looked like might be a great blue heron, but it was darker grey than others I've seen. I only caught a couple of fleeting glimpses through the trees. Huge bird... definitely as big as a great blue heron, with a long curved neck. Is there anything similar?
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat May 16, 2020 2:49 pm

iceport wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:01 pm

Of much greater interest was what looked like might be a great blue heron, but it was darker grey than others I've seen. I only caught a couple of fleeting glimpses through the trees. Huge bird... definitely as big as a great blue heron, with a long curved neck. Is there anything similar?
Depends on where you are. GBHs have quite a bit of variation in coloring. Some appear almost white in the right lighting.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

stilts1007

Post by stilts1007 » Sat May 16, 2020 8:47 pm

iceport wrote:
Could it have been a tricolored heron? Those are smaller than GBHs but have a similar body shape, and tend to be darker blue-gray with a white neck stripe and belly. They only live in FL and the Gulf coast area.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Tricolored_Heron

iceport

Post by iceport » Sat May 16, 2020 10:49 pm

stilts1007 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:47 pm
iceport wrote:
Could it have been a tricolored heron? Those are smaller than GBHs but have a similar body shape, and tend to be darker blue-gray with a white neck stripe and belly. They only live in FL and the Gulf coast area.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Tricolored_Heron
That's a good guess, but north central CT looks to be out of its range. It very well could have been an immature Great Blue Heron. I never saw its underside, mostly just its back with wings in various stages of spreading. I didn't notice anything like a long bright bill. There was a fairly dense tree canopy, so it was in the shadows.

A couple of years ago I was convinced a Little Blue Heron had stalked across the back yard. The size and coloring was right, but this spot might be a little out of range for that bird also. It's possible it was Little Blue Heron today, but it just seemed larger than that. Then again, I was mostly just seeing spread wings, not the body.

Sure wish I still had my Audubon Field Guide. :(
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun May 17, 2020 7:58 am

stilts1007 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:47 pm
We get them regularly in Maryland

TnGuy

Post by TnGuy » Wed May 20, 2020 1:55 pm

We've seen a couple of Brown Thrashers 'thrashing around' in our yard recently.

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Wed May 20, 2020 2:29 pm

TnGuy wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:55 pm

We've seen a couple of Brown Thrashers 'thrashing around' in our yard recently.

David
Great photo, thanks!

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Wed May 20, 2020 5:24 pm

It was a good birding day at the park / woods today.

First off, we caught a Pileated Woodpecker going to town on a fallen tree on the ground. We were trying to pass him on the path without disturbing him and got to within about 10 feet before he took off.

Secondly we saw what I think was either a Blue Grosbeak or an Indigo Bunting; very unusual, I’ve never seen anything like this in our area.

Here’s a shot I got of the woodpecker with my cellphone:

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Wed May 20, 2020 5:26 pm

I upgraded my binos today. Looking forward to getting back out to hunt and bird watch.

ray.james

Post by ray.james » Wed May 20, 2020 6:09 pm

JAZZISCOOL wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:39 am
I just saw a beautiful male Western Tanager (bright yellow, black and red).

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Western_Tanager
A few days ago I saw this(North CA) and thought it was some type of bunting. This was it! thanks for sharing.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Wed May 20, 2020 6:16 pm

ray.james wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:09 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:39 am
I just saw a beautiful male Western Tanager (bright yellow, black and red).

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Western_Tanager
A few days ago I saw this(North CA) and thought it was some type of bunting. This was it! thanks for sharing.
:happy

IMO

Post by IMO » Thu May 21, 2020 1:30 am

jebmke wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:57 am
Grasshopper wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:44 am
And our cats are indoor only.
Our cat is indoors. Eagle can take a cat easily but we live on the water so fish are plentiful. As killing machines, not much can top a Great Horned Owl which are regulars around here. GHOs have been known to take a porcupine.
Did get to see some GHO offspring for the 1st time this spring in a suguaro cactus AZ which was cool, and of course saw many road runners which are my ultimate favorite bird since they kill rattlesnakes.

Have some nesting American Red Robbins outside the window. What was interesting during the building of the nest, seemed like the female had this routine of kind of angrily jumping on the males back. Kind of like she was pissed that he wasn't doing his share of the work. I think they were a couple? :D

palaheel

Post by palaheel » Thu May 21, 2020 6:43 am

Here's a great video stream of a Robin's nest with chicks. https://youtu.be/JaVqSRY6Hvk
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.

shunkman

Post by shunkman » Thu May 21, 2020 8:18 am

We had an Eastern Towhee at the feeder this morning. I had not seen one in many years (north-central PA).

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Thu May 21, 2020 11:29 am

IMO wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:30 am
jebmke wrote:
Grasshopper wrote:
Our cat is indoors. Eagle can take a cat easily but we live on the water so fish are plentiful. As killing machines, not much can top a Great Horned Owl which are regulars around here. GHOs have been known to take a porcupine.
Did get to see some GHO offspring for the 1st time this spring in a suguaro cactus AZ which was cool, and of course saw many road runners which are my ultimate favorite bird since they kill rattlesnakes.

Have some nesting American Red Robbins outside the window. What was interesting during the building of the nest, seemed like the female had this routine of kind of angrily jumping on the males back. Kind of like she was pissed that he wasn't doing his share of the work. I think they were a couple? :D
Wow! I didn't know road runners killed rattlesnakes (which can be very large)!

iamacat

Post by iamacat » Thu May 21, 2020 4:22 pm

iamacat wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 6:44 am
Eastern towhee
White-throated sparrow
Yellow-rumped warbler
Brown thrasher
Indigo bunting
Baltimore oriole
Saw a bunch of red-winged blackbirds and indigo buntings at a wildlife sanctuary an hour south of me--as well as some pink lady slippers. Went on another local hike and saw/heard a whole bunch of Baltimore orioles. Also found myself quite close to a pileated woodpecker drumming. Exciting! Adding to the list:

Common yellowthroat
Black & white warbler
Eastern kingbird

BlackwaterPark10

Post by BlackwaterPark10 » Thu May 21, 2020 4:41 pm

Just found this thread, how cool!!

Im in SE Florida, so most all our migrants are back up north. Now its just mockingbirds, blue jays, cardinals, red bellied woodpeckers, pileated woodpeckers, and barred owls in the yard.

I had a flock (20-30) of painted buntings from late August 2019 until May3rd 2020. Indigo Buntings from December 2019 until late April 2020.

Didn't have any goldfinches this year after dozens last year.

Hummingbirds (2-3) from August-Mayish.

Just had my first ever sighting of an American Redstart!

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Thu May 21, 2020 5:32 pm

BlackwaterPark10 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:41 pm

Im in SE Florida, so most all our migrants are back up north. Now its just mockingbirds, blue jays, cardinals, red bellied woodpeckers, pileated woodpeckers, and barred owls in the yard.

I had a flock (20-30) of painted buntings from late August 2019 until May3rd 2020. Indigo Buntings from December 2019 until late April 2020.

Cool!

Cornell University's ornithology dept. has some great bird cams including Barred Owlets branching and exploring:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/cams/barred-owls/

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Thu May 21, 2020 5:34 pm

^BlackwaterPark10 wrote: ↑Thu May 21, 2020 3:41 pm

Painted Buntings are so beautiful but we don't have them in our state generally. :(

InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar » Thu May 21, 2020 5:49 pm

BlackwaterPark10 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:41 pm

Damn, I would love to see some buntings (painted or indigo). To see a whole flock? That's something else.

Otoh, I have seen redstarts; actually thought it was an oriole when I spotted it.

One of these days, my wife and I will make the drive a bit north (of Madison), in the hope of catching glimpses of red headed woodpecker.

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Fri May 22, 2020 12:37 am

After dark, I am seeing a raccoon and an opossum with her young riding on her back enjoying the feed that I provide for the birds. Rabbits, chipmunks, squirrels, and deer also enjoy the smorgasbord that I provide for the birds. As an old fart, I enjoy the wildlife that frequent my feeders. It’s cheap entertainment.

DMW

IMO

Post by IMO » Fri May 22, 2020 1:31 am

JAZZISCOOL wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:29 am
IMO wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:30 am
jebmke wrote:
Grasshopper wrote:

Wow! I didn't know road runners killed rattlesnakes (which can be very large)!
I think they go after smaller ones they can swallow down and not choke on:
https://youtu.be/jBhMJfBNUzY
https://youtu.be/YwLspcdm0Bs

They also hunt mice/rats, so they keep the rodent population under control.
https://youtu.be/ilbLFrRQwKA
https://youtu.be/f6PbQj1zdQk

There's also the red-tailed hawk:
https://youtu.be/jaxZAPJDpnY

And it appears even wild turkeys, but I didn't see the actual kill and can't verify if it's a rattler?. Turkey is also a favorite of mine, but to eat.
https://youtu.be/SwJUGnGoKuI
But it does seem they kill snakes, this one is worth watching for the commentary, even if it's not a rattler :D
https://youtu.be/1gmJhWH_sxM

Chip

Post by Chip » Fri May 22, 2020 7:17 am

Very good looks in the backyard this morning at Chestnut-sided and Magnolia warblers. An okay look at a Yellow-throated warbler. Maybe a Canada warbler but it wasn't a good enough look to be sure. Eastern towhee was singing at the top of a dead tree.

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Fri May 22, 2020 9:17 am

^by IMO » Fri May 22, 2020 12:31 am:

Re: road runner vs. rattlesnake video - wow! That was amazing! I didn't know road runners were so aggressive.

My area has a bunch of rattlesnakes but I don't believe there is a bird predator. :shock:

pomomojo

Post by pomomojo » Fri May 22, 2020 3:33 pm

Chip wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:17 am
Very good looks in the backyard this morning at Chestnut-sided and Magnolia warblers. An okay look at a Yellow-throated warbler. Maybe a Canada warbler but it wasn't a good enough look to be sure. Eastern towhee was singing at the top of a dead tree.
Jealous. Where do you live? I think migration in NJ is starting to wrap up.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Fri May 22, 2020 4:30 pm

livesoft wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 3:16 pm
Another fledgling who thinks I might be Mom or Dad.

You are the Bird Whisperer!

Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 » Fri May 22, 2020 10:17 pm

We are seeing red winged blackbirds, golden finches, mallards, wood ducks, double crested cormorants, great blue herons, and osprey from our dining room window/patio. If we walk down to the river we occasionally see bald eagles as well.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Sat May 23, 2020 12:16 am

I mentioned the Coopers Hawk nest in my oak tree. I found I was wrong when I wrote that there were two babies in the nest. Well, on Thursday, I watched as they left the nest. The first one had moved out about ten feet on the limb while another one watched, stretching and flapping it's wings. I watched them for awhile. A short time later I saw the third one standing high on the nest opposite that one. The second one stood high on the nest south side for a couple of hours while watching the first one out on the limb. One of the parents came swooping by just above the tree, squawking out loud. That seemed to excite the two still on the nest as they soon moved out. The first one was still out there on the limb. I went away for about an hour and a half. When I came back they were all gone. I didn't see them fly away sadly.
Just because it isn't your fault doesn't mean it isn't your responsibility....Josh Reid Jones

Chip

Post by Chip » Sat May 23, 2020 4:41 am

pomomojo wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:33 pm
Upper Midwest. The Magnolias breed here, as do Northern Parulas. DW saw another Cerulean (perhaps the same one she saw before) earlier in the week.

It's getting tougher to find the warblers as the most of the trees are fully leafed out. I had a serious case of warbler neck yesterday. :)

InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar » Sat May 23, 2020 11:40 am

Chip wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:41 am
pomomojo wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:33 pm
Upper Midwest. The Magnolias breed here, as do Northern Parulas. DW saw another Cerulean (perhaps the same one she saw before) earlier in the week.

It's getting tougher to find the warblers as the most of the trees are fully leafed out. I had a serious case of warbler neck yesterday. :)
What time of the day would you recommend? And I presume one should get as close to the water as possible?

We probably missed our opportunity this year, but I'm hoping to get on it next year.

Chip

Post by Chip » Sat May 23, 2020 2:45 pm

InvisibleAerobar wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:40 am
What time of the day would you recommend? And I presume one should get as close to the water as possible?

We probably missed our opportunity this year, but I'm hoping to get on it next year.
Not necessarily close to water, but definitely true for some birds (e.g. Wood Thrush). Most (all?) of the warblers eat bugs, typically by gleaning them off of twigs and leaves. I was seeing the Magnolias and Chestnut-sideds in a leafed-out, flowering (i.e. catkins), shagbark hickory tree, mostly high up in the crown. This was a couple of hours after sunrise. Typically early morning and late evening are better times. Other birds tend to skulk in low shrubbery.

The other thing they may be doing if they're nesting in your area is singing to attract a mate. Many of them do that right up near the tops of trees.

When they're feeding they're moving around a lot so it's easier to spot them initially, but then really tough to keep the binocs on them as they move so quickly in and out of foliage. If they're singing they often don't move much, so they're very hard to find initially but easier to keep in your view.

I finally got a good look this morning at the Red-eyed vireo. They are notorious for singing loudly but staying out of sight. This one cooperated by flying to the top of a tree that was just starting to leaf out and singing loudly. Easy ID. :)