Subaru Outback vs deer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jgdsss

Subaru Outback vs deer

Post by jgdsss » Fri May 22, 2020 11:13 pm

My parents 2020 outback was hit by a deer, deer ran into the rear passenger side. From pics seems like both passenger door and rear passenger door are dented/scraped, No major damage, the deer ran away. Since it seems like just door panels, do we take it to Subaru dealership, or can regular collision shops get new door panels, paint them match, etc. Or perhaps they can bang out the dents? I’m thinks it makes sense to get three quotes and just not run it through insurance since it would most likely raise the rates?

Ophiuchus

Re: Subaru Outback vs deer

Post by Ophiuchus » Fri May 22, 2020 11:25 pm

I would get the quotes and determine if it makes sense to pay cash vs insurance. Also there can be hidden damage underneath so your initial quotes can be inflated when it is all done.

chipaway

Post by chipaway » Fri May 22, 2020 11:37 pm

You could check with a "paintless dent removal" person or shop. If the paint is scratched too deeply they might not be able to fix it without painting. But a relative of mine showed me pictures of a badly dented front fender on his car. It was repaired without any parts replacement or painting and looked good as new when I saw the car afterward. It was much less expensive than a standard body shop repair (where they would have replaced the fender and painted the new one.)

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat May 23, 2020 12:29 am

I could be mistaken but I would think that this would be covered under their comprehensive insurance and not the collision insurance. If so they may have a lower deductible and it might not raise their rates by much if any. They should look into that.

I also agree that once they open up the car there may additional repairs because of the complex window mechanisms and there could possibly be air bags in the door.

It sounds like it is more than just a few scratches so I would probably file a claim. With two door panels involved this will not be inexpensive to repair.

boomer_techie

Post by boomer_techie » Sat May 23, 2020 1:50 am

jgdsss wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:13 pm
Since it seems like just door panels, do we take it to Subaru dealership, or can regular collision shops get new door panels, paint them match, etc.
While dealerships often have collision shops, that's usually not their forte. Some might outsource most of the work to a nearby shop.

Quite likely you won't get new doors no matter where you go. Expect replacements to come from a wrecked car. Hope there's a wrecking yard with a 2020 near you!

London

Post by London » Sat May 23, 2020 6:48 am

Watty wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:29 am
I could be mistaken but I would think that this would be covered under their comprehensive insurance and not the collision insurance. If so they may have a lower deductible and it might not raise their rates by much if any. They should look into that.

I also agree that once they open up the car there may additional repairs because of the complex window mechanisms and there could possibly be air bags in the door.

It sounds like it is more than just a few scratches so I would probably file a claim. With two door panels involved this will not be inexpensive to repair.
We had this exact scenario happen to us (deer ran into rear door) and it was a comprehensive claim. Insurance company was Liberty Mutual.

stilllurking

Post by stilllurking » Sat May 23, 2020 7:01 am

London wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:48 am
Watty wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:29 am

We had this exact scenario happen to us (deer ran into rear door) and it was a comprehensive claim. Insurance company was Liberty Mutual.
Deer jumped in front of my car, I hit it at the fender on the driver's side. Damaged bumper, fender, grille. Initial quote was $1300. All said and done was $2500. I went through comp coverage. Did not affect my auto rates, they actually went down a few bucks for the following renewal. This was with MetLife.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Sat May 23, 2020 7:04 am

boomer_techie wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:50 am
jgdsss wrote:
Since it seems like just door panels, do we take it to Subaru dealership, or can regular collision shops get new door panels, paint them match, etc.
While dealerships often have collision shops, that's usually not their forte. Some might outsource most of the work to a nearby shop.

Quite likely you won't get new doors no matter where you go. Expect replacements to come from a wrecked car. Hope there's a wrecking yard with a 2020 near you!
I don't think that used parts are acceptable under any insurance I have seen; many will use non-OEM parts however.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Sat May 23, 2020 8:06 am

We need pictures!

New Providence

Post by New Providence » Sat May 23, 2020 8:19 am

jgdsss wrote:
...the deer ran away.
I'm not veterinarian, but deer could still had died later due to internal injuries.

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Sat May 23, 2020 8:27 am

It's less likely to die from a side impact. Basically it ran into the car with only its own momentum rather than the car running into it. Quite a difference.

jbmitt

Post by jbmitt » Sat May 23, 2020 9:23 am

TheGreyingDuke wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:04 am
boomer_techie wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:50 am
jgdsss wrote:

I don't think that used parts are acceptable under any insurance I have seen; many will use non-OEM parts however.
Used/LKQ (like kind quality) parts are commonly available. Most insurers do a break even between OEM new, aftermarket, and used with some minor repairs. Body shops can often price match parts to work with new OEM.

The 2020 Outback is redesigned. It’s unlikely that there will be any used or aftermarket parts available.

When I wrote used parts it was usually for a front clip, quarter panel, or a complete door/trunk assembly.

I suspect the damage is worthwhile to involve insurance, especially if a door skin is wrinkled. Look for a quality shop, which may or may not be the dealer’s. Any body shop can source the same replacement parts. Your priority should be in quality repairs and color match.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat May 23, 2020 9:28 am

3 quotes.
Insurance
Do the repair by the book with great results.
This is a new car.
Different if it was a 1970’s Ford Maverick 😬

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Sat May 23, 2020 9:52 am

Spouse got into a collision with a horse several years ago. Horse came down a blind driveway (riderless fortunately) and it was unavoidable. Horse expired at the scene. Spouse was lucky to not be injured. Substantial damage to vehicle was paid by horse's homeowners policy.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Sat May 23, 2020 10:50 am

Definitely a claim under the "Comprehensive Insurance" section of your policy if you have such coverage. Comprehensive covers many other claims such as windshield damage from a rock or hit and run damage in a parking lot. I have been involved in all three instances in my sixty years of car insurance. Some insurance companies will require a police report on the deer incident. I have always carried "full comprehensive" coverage which is quite reasonable compared to some deductible amount.

Edited to add: My policy rates have never been raised as a result of a comprehensive claim.
Tom D.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat May 23, 2020 10:54 am

As noted Paintless Dent Repair may do wonders. The local Subaru dealer has a PDR guy and they charge reasonable prices, but I imagine that these PDR folks serve a number of collision repair places. The work that I have had done has been inexpensive (under $100 each time) and one cannot tell there were any dents in the first place. I didn't have any scratches, so I cannot comment about that.

As for the insurance claim, your damage may be well under your deductible.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

ncbill

Post by ncbill » Sun May 24, 2020 11:55 am

tomd37 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:50 am
Definitely a claim under the "Comprehensive Insurance" section of your policy if you have such coverage. Comprehensive covers many other claims such as windshield damage from a rock or hit and run damage in a parking lot. I have been involved in all three instances in my sixty years of car insurance. Some insurance companies will require a police report on the deer incident. I have always carried "full comprehensive" coverage which is quite reasonable compared to some deductible amount.

Edited to add: My policy rates have never been raised as a result of a comprehensive claim.
Ditto, I always keep comp even on vehicles I've dropped collision...$100 deductible comp coverage averages ~$6/month on my fleet of older vehicles.

Paid off last spring where comp paid for a ~$3,000 repair from a deer.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sun May 24, 2020 2:15 pm

jgdsss wrote:
My parents 2020 outback was hit by a deer, deer ran into the rear passenger side.
Usually it's Subaru Outback vs deer, but this is more appropriately titled deer vs Subaru Outback. Score one for the deer.
pshonore wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:52 am
Spouse got into a collision with a horse several years ago. Horse came down a blind driveway (riderless fortunately) and it was unavoidable. Horse expired at the scene. Spouse was lucky to not be injured. Substantial damage to vehicle was paid by horse's homeowners policy.
Interesting how they decided the horse was at fault. Lucky the horse had an insurance policy that covered the risk. Hopefully for the survivors, the horse had other appropriate insurance.
tomd37 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:50 am
Definitely a claim under the "Comprehensive Insurance" section of your policy if you have such coverage. Comprehensive covers many other claims such as windshield damage from a rock or hit and run damage in a parking lot.
In some states, it's the uninsured motorist property damage that covers a hit and run. Good luck proving the deer was uninsured, or even licensed to run freely.

https://www.esurance.com/info/claims/hit-and-run-claims

OP, it's probably easiest to go thru insurance, especially since it's such a new car.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun May 24, 2020 2:29 pm

TheGreyingDuke wrote:

I am perhaps a bit naive, but is there really someone making (new) non-OEM Subaru doors?

jbmitt

Post by jbmitt » Sun May 24, 2020 2:49 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:29 pm
TheGreyingDuke wrote:

I am perhaps a bit naive, but is there really someone making (new) non-OEM Subaru doors?
No. Aftermarket is typically limited to fenders, bumpers, hoods, lights. It’s more common for high production models like Chevy/Ford/Ram trucks, Honda Accord/Civics/CRV/Pilots and Toyota Corolla/Camry/RAV4/Highlanders.

On a few occasions, I’ve seen manufactures sell new OEM parts to an aftermarket company. The items are sold as aftermarket without an OEM warranty. It works to unload excess inventory.

Door shells and skins are tricky. It’s easier to go with a new skin or a used door assembly and swap out the trim and hardware.

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Sun May 24, 2020 3:18 pm

Comprehensive if you have it. Son hit a deer and I was only out $250on a $5K repair. He was 18 at the time and rate with Allstate never went up.

irishguy

Post by irishguy » Sun May 24, 2020 10:54 pm

My 2014 SUBY got run into by a deer (buck) in Montana at 80 mph. Frightening. Blew out 2 driver side windows and required new door skins, windshield, rear quarter, bumper, and bondo of front fender. I took to shop that repairs higher end cars and known for quality work. In our state you can go to who you want and they are required to use OEM parts. This is a comp claim so no effect on rates!