Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
totallynotsure
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:35 am

Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by totallynotsure » Fri May 22, 2020 10:54 pm

anyone else frustrated by this? granted, i know that 2-days might not be feasible and that Amazon has changed their policy to focus on "essential" items. but are Prime members not paying for a service that, at this point, isn't really being provided and/or could be provided by another retailer as quick (or quicker) less the subscription fee?

just curious what the boards thought is. perhaps i'm being irrational as a few items i ordered yesterday are going to take a week + and their customer service was rude.

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 8021
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm
Location: outside the echo chamber

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by whodidntante » Fri May 22, 2020 11:00 pm

I buy very little from Amazon now. It's not political, I just find there offering to be meh. I can get portal cash back, better prices, fast free shipping without paying an expensive annual fee, and much fewer issues with counterfeit products by going elsewhere. And sometimes I can't wait even two days, so I do an in-store pickup, you know, at one of those non-virtual stores that old people like.

clip651
Posts: 637
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:02 am

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by clip651 » Fri May 22, 2020 11:00 pm

You might wait and see how long the items take to show up before getting too upset. Some items I've ordered have had an estimated delivery date about a week out, but items actually showed up earlier. Others have showed up around the estimated date. And some items are still estimated and then showing up in 2 days or less for me. (Pay attention to the date they estimate in the checkout process itself, it's not always the same as what shows on the item page when you add it to the cart.)

I think in general they're doing the best they can with very unexpected and challenging circumstances.

If there's something you truly need faster than Amazon says they can get it to you, then by all means shop around and see who can get it to you faster, and at what price (item plus shipping). And comparison shop any other time you like, too, for that matter. Up to you whether Prime is still worth it to you. It has been for me.

best wishes,
cj

User avatar
LilyFleur
Posts: 1166
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:36 pm

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by LilyFleur » Sat May 23, 2020 2:40 am

I still use Amazon. I think they're doing the best they can, as are most businesses that deliver. I am at home with three at-risk conditions, so I just wait for my deliveries. I ordered from Harbor Freight a few days ago, and they said they are running one to two weeks behind on fulfilling their orders. It is what it is. If waiting for a delivery is my worst problem these days, I'm pretty darn lucky.

privateer79
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:21 am

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by privateer79 » Sat May 23, 2020 2:58 am

I was recently disappointed...

we were doing some home improvement projects on our vacation home ~100 miles away from our main house... they could deliver an item we needed to our main house next day..... but to get it to our vacation home (in a town of 10k people) would be 10 days?!? not even options to pay for expedited shipping.

I think all the hardball they were playing with Fedex and UPS has bit them.

User avatar
telemark
Posts: 2645
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:35 am

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by telemark » Sat May 23, 2020 3:16 am

I ordered a microwave using a 30-day free trial of Prime, ended up canceling the order and buying locally. Large distribution centers full of low-paid workers turn out not to be ideal during a pandemic, so the problems are not surprising, but it annoyed me that the promised delivery time did not reflect this reality.

But I still have some free movies to watch :)

User avatar
Noobvestor
Posts: 5523
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:09 am

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by Noobvestor » Sat May 23, 2020 4:04 am

If you find another service better, use it. Retail shopping is a pain right now all around, with various degrees and types of risks. I still use Amazon for some things, and accept that some of those things will come slower. The lag isn't unique to Amazon, though - the world is in crisis. I don't find the Prime fee overly taxing and do watch some TV/movies on there too, but if it's not doing it for you, cancel! :beer
"In the absence of clarity, diversification is the only logical strategy" -= Larry Swedroe

minimalistmarc
Posts: 885
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:38 pm

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by minimalistmarc » Sat May 23, 2020 5:08 am

I’m in the U.K. I joined amazon prime mainly for the the TV content. We do order a lot from amazon and have been quite happy with the delivery times. I have £500 of amazon vouchers sitting in my account and often adding more so I use them even if they are a bit more expensive

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 10325
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat May 23, 2020 5:21 am

I came for the delivery and stayed for the streaming video, 5% cash back card, ease of adding additional video services (BritBox, Acorn, Sundance, HBO, etc).
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

User avatar
Rainier
Posts: 1525
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:59 am

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by Rainier » Sat May 23, 2020 5:26 am

My guess is that Amazon will do something to compensate Prime customers.

As others have said, if you find something better just use it (I generally have not). I find that everyplace I order from is somewhat delayed, and it is not all Amazon's fault. I talked to the UPS guy about a week ago and he said there were multiple containers of packages just sitting at the local distribution center for days due to a backlog sorting and getting on the final trucks.

Even so, the speed of Amazon delivery is starting to return to normal where I live. It is not next day yet, but greatly improved from April.

User avatar
msi
Posts: 553
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:15 pm

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by msi » Sat May 23, 2020 6:38 am

I've had much faster deliveries with walmart.com during this whole thing.

HomeStretch
Posts: 4356
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by HomeStretch » Sat May 23, 2020 6:49 am

Walmart, Amazon, Target, USPS and UPS have done well IMO during this pandemic while a majority of people in the U.S. were sheltering at home. Walmart.com has been the best for me in my hard-hit area - I have been able to periodically obtain my preferred brand of hard-to-get items like toilet paper plus sanitizer, etc. Other retailers I ordered from took weeks to deliver due to supply or warehouse logistics issues. Our local grocery stores are still wiped out of paper and cleaning products.

andypanda
Posts: 438
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:11 pm
Location: Richmond, Virginia

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by andypanda » Sat May 23, 2020 6:55 am

We order a lot of stuff and get good service, but we're 10 or 15 miles from a number of their facilities.

From what the drivers having been telling me it's at least as busy as the two weeks before Christmas, but after a couple of months of this marathon they're getting worn down.

Heck, how do they even find time to service the delivery vehicles and keep up with the breakdowns.

ScubaHogg
Posts: 425
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:02 pm

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by ScubaHogg » Sat May 23, 2020 8:06 am

You are under no obligation to continue paying a ~$280 billion company for a service that you aren’t receiving, COVID or no COVID.

When Amazon first came out with two day PRIME shipping 8-9 years ago it was a real difference maker. Now lots of websites offer a similar service, so Amazon isn’t really “special” in that sense anymore. Combined with the fact that Amazon’s prices don’t handily beat competitors like they used to, this might be our last year as Prime members (even though we were early adopters of the service).
“There is no problem so bad you can’t make it worse.” - Chris Hatfield, Astronaut mantra

Mudpuppy
Posts: 6032
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:26 am
Location: Sunny California

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat May 23, 2020 2:06 pm

Refer to this thread from a couple of weeks ago for people's sentiments on this matter: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=313925

I've personally received most things within a reasonable time frame (a week or so), although I still have one item sitting on "order received" for a couple of weeks. I know that means Amazon thought they'd get restocked, but ended up not getting restocked, so I'm not putting too much hope into receiving it. It was just protein powder, so I ordered another flavor that was in stock, and I've already received it.

User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 3387
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sat May 23, 2020 2:53 pm

Nope. Things have changed, and it is easy to see how Amazon's business might have been affected.

An unexpected trip to Home Depot last week where I found myself being only one of only a very few masked people in a crowded store made me appreciate having items delivered to my doorstep--even if I have to wait a day or three longer than I did a few months ago. Amazon is probably getting a bigger share of our shopping dollar than previously.

Lookingforanswers
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun May 06, 2018 4:39 pm

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by Lookingforanswers » Sat May 23, 2020 3:17 pm

Over the past week there have been a number of stories in the press stating that Amazon is starting to offer faster delivery, and open up their distribution network for non-essential supplies. They are very closely watched by their third party seller community, so a lot of those folks get quoted in the business press about what is going on within their logistics network. The bottom line from the press reports is that things are steadily getting back to normal as they respond.

That matches my own experience -- delivery promises were pretty conservative several weeks ago, but they are getting faster and faster. In the past week, I've been fiddling with my home office and had to order several cables, switches, hubs and cords -- I had plenty of selection with one- or two-day delivery on Amazon, and everything arrived on time across several days of orders (lots of trial and error before I got it right...).

I also got an email last Monday stating that more Amazon Fresh grocery delivery slots were available; I jumped online to order some groceries we were out of and had it at my door by 9 pm (free same day delivery if you order $35).

That being said, I also have had really good experience with BestBuy pickup. I ordered a monitor last week for in-store pickup, got an email confirmation it would be ready in an hour, and drove to the store to pick it up. Sat in a marked parking space for 5 minutes while they retrieved the monitor and brought it out to me. BestBuy also was taking appointments for in-store shopping (seemed to be a one-day waitlist).

User avatar
LilyFleur
Posts: 1166
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:36 pm

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by LilyFleur » Sat May 23, 2020 3:57 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:53 pm
Nope. Things have changed, and it is easy to see how Amazon's business might have been affected.

An unexpected trip to Home Depot last week where I found myself being only one of only a very few masked people in a crowded store made me appreciate having items delivered to my doorstep--even if I have to wait a day or three longer than I did a few months ago. Amazon is probably getting a bigger share of our shopping dollar than previously.
I will not be going to Home Depot. I placed an order with Harbor Freight, and they are running one to two weeks behind. I'll wait.

User avatar
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Posts: 40787
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:33 am
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by nisiprius » Sat May 23, 2020 4:13 pm

Having adapted to the idea of getting things in two days and quite often the next day, it's hard to adapt back. Amazon's estimated shipping times certainly have stretched out. At the same time, I think they really don't want things to arrive later than promised and they have been padding their estimates to allow for uncertainty. Three weeks ago I ordered a jigsaw puzzle for my wife, promised for May 30th, arrived May 22nd. Thing that used to be promised for next day now are promised to arrive in several days... and often arrive a day earlier than promised.

By whatever business magic, it remains true that Amazon prices with "free" shipping are very competitive with local store prices.

I don't have any complaints. "First world problems."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Mudpuppy
Posts: 6032
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:26 am
Location: Sunny California

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat May 23, 2020 4:51 pm

LilyFleur wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:57 pm
Doom&Gloom wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:53 pm
Nope. Things have changed, and it is easy to see how Amazon's business might have been affected.

An unexpected trip to Home Depot last week where I found myself being only one of only a very few masked people in a crowded store made me appreciate having items delivered to my doorstep--even if I have to wait a day or three longer than I did a few months ago. Amazon is probably getting a bigger share of our shopping dollar than previously.
I will not be going to Home Depot. I placed an order with Harbor Freight, and they are running one to two weeks behind. I'll wait.
Lowes has to be my worst curbside pickup experience so far during shelter-at-home. I needed HVAC filters, some potting soil, and more Ortho Home Defense (the ants are coming on with a vengeance this spring). If it had just been the filters, I would have had it shipped to my house, but I didn't want to ship the pesticides and soil in the same box with the filters, so I tried curbside pickup.

Lowes was not prepared to handle the curbside pickup demand. I waited for half an hour in the designated curbside pickup parking with several other vehicles before my order was brought out. My order was brought out before the orders of some other people who were parked in the curbside pickup area when I arrived. As I watched my fellow car drivers, I could see the slowly mounting frustration at the time taken for orders to be brought out. I also had plenty of time to people-watch the folks actually going in to Lowes to see how crowded it was and how few of them were wearing masks.

Next time I need HVAC filters, I'm just having them shipped.

walk-on
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:22 pm

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by walk-on » Sat May 23, 2020 7:50 pm

We have been Prime members since 2013. I was fine getting my items delayed in March and April but when I realized all my orders are being delayed by 7 days, it irritated me. For instance, my daughter is also a prime member on a student membership and does not order a lot of items from Amazon. She ordered an item on Friday and it was delivered on Sunday, two days later. On my account it would have taken seven days to receive the exact same item. My account is on some sort of hold or delay for items.

I contacted customer service about this and they "looked into" whether there is some sort of delay shown for my account and nothing came up. I was credited $5 for my trouble.

I'm looking at phone cases while logged into my account. Best delivery time is June 2. If I log out, best delivery time is May 26. I'm beginning to think my time with Amazon is near the end.

Katietsu
Posts: 3316
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by Katietsu » Sat May 23, 2020 8:17 pm

walk-on wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:50 pm
We have been Prime members since 2013. I was fine getting my items delayed in March and April but when I realized all my orders are being delayed by 7 days, it irritated me. For instance, my daughter is also a prime member on a student membership and does not order a lot of items from Amazon. She ordered an item on Friday and it was delivered on Sunday, two days later. On my account it would have taken seven days to receive the exact same item. My account is on some sort of hold or delay for items.

I contacted customer service about this and they "looked into" whether there is some sort of delay shown for my account and nothing came up. I was credited $5 for my trouble.

I'm looking at phone cases while logged into my account. Best delivery time is June 2. If I log out, best delivery time is May 26. I'm beginning to think my time with Amazon is near the end.
Is your daughter living with you? If so, that is odd. As far as seeing a different date before and after logging in, that I can explain. Before you log in, they do not know your delivery address. Therefore, the date displayed is the earliest date for someone in the ideal location in the country. After you log in, they can then give you the date for your location. You apparently live in an area that is currently experiencing lengthy delivery times due to high demand, harder to service location, local warehouse issues, etc.

User avatar
JAZZISCOOL
Posts: 1024
Joined: Sat May 18, 2019 11:49 am
Location: Colorado - 5,700 ft.

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Sat May 23, 2020 8:21 pm

LilyFleur wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:40 am
I still use Amazon. I think they're doing the best they can, as are most businesses that deliver. I am at home with three at-risk conditions, so I just wait for my deliveries. I ordered from Harbor Freight a few days ago, and they said they are running one to two weeks behind on fulfilling their orders. It is what it is. If waiting for a delivery is my worst problem these days, I'm pretty darn lucky.
I agree with this. These are strange times. Their deliveries are getting better. Trying to be patient with all sorts of things as we are all struggling to adapt. :|

fareastwarriors
Posts: 1206
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:31 pm

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by fareastwarriors » Sat May 23, 2020 8:28 pm

My estimated delivery dates have been longer as well but they still usually arrive earlier than what was said on the site. Most things are still arriving within 2-3 days even now. Our Amazon account is shared among 3 people and we ordered 144 items year to date.

Maybe the warehouse around you is backlogged or the items you're buying but for me, Amazon still delivers!

Poorman
Posts: 119
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:57 am

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by Poorman » Sat May 23, 2020 8:29 pm

totallynotsure wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:54 pm
anyone else frustrated by this? granted, i know that 2-days might not be feasible and that Amazon has changed their policy to focus on "essential" items. but are Prime members not paying for a service that, at this point, isn't really being provided and/or could be provided by another retailer as quick (or quicker) less the subscription fee?

just curious what the boards thought is. perhaps i'm being irrational as a few items i ordered yesterday are going to take a week + and their customer service was rude.
So cancel

J295
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:40 pm

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by J295 » Sat May 23, 2020 8:30 pm

Fine waiting .... I am generally unsympathetic with those who complain about life’s minor inconveniences ....

walk-on
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:22 pm

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by walk-on » Sat May 23, 2020 8:58 pm

Katietsu wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:17 pm
walk-on wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:50 pm
We have been Prime members since 2013. I was fine getting my items delayed in March and April but when I realized all my orders are being delayed by 7 days, it irritated me. For instance, my daughter is also a prime member on a student membership and does not order a lot of items from Amazon. She ordered an item on Friday and it was delivered on Sunday, two days later. On my account it would have taken seven days to receive the exact same item. My account is on some sort of hold or delay for items.

I contacted customer service about this and they "looked into" whether there is some sort of delay shown for my account and nothing came up. I was credited $5 for my trouble.

I'm looking at phone cases while logged into my account. Best delivery time is June 2. If I log out, best delivery time is May 26. I'm beginning to think my time with Amazon is near the end.
Is your daughter living with you? If so, that is odd. As far as seeing a different date before and after logging in, that I can explain. Before you log in, they do not know your delivery address. Therefore, the date displayed is the earliest date for someone in the ideal location in the country. After you log in, they can then give you the date for your location. You apparently live in an area that is currently experiencing lengthy delivery times due to high demand, harder to service location, local warehouse issues, etc.
Yes, my daughter does live at the same address which is what makes the whole situation weird. I appreciate your explanation and it makes sense. I spent some time on chat with Amazon customer service and after a while, the delivery dates changed from June 3 to May 26 so I'm not sure what changes were made. I'm pretty patient about stuff like this but it didn't make sense why the delivery times in our household were so different shipping to the same address.

UpperNwGuy
Posts: 3529
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:16 pm

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sat May 23, 2020 9:21 pm

walk-on wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:58 pm
Katietsu wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:17 pm
walk-on wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:50 pm
We have been Prime members since 2013. I was fine getting my items delayed in March and April but when I realized all my orders are being delayed by 7 days, it irritated me. For instance, my daughter is also a prime member on a student membership and does not order a lot of items from Amazon. She ordered an item on Friday and it was delivered on Sunday, two days later. On my account it would have taken seven days to receive the exact same item. My account is on some sort of hold or delay for items.

I contacted customer service about this and they "looked into" whether there is some sort of delay shown for my account and nothing came up. I was credited $5 for my trouble.

I'm looking at phone cases while logged into my account. Best delivery time is June 2. If I log out, best delivery time is May 26. I'm beginning to think my time with Amazon is near the end.
Is your daughter living with you? If so, that is odd. As far as seeing a different date before and after logging in, that I can explain. Before you log in, they do not know your delivery address. Therefore, the date displayed is the earliest date for someone in the ideal location in the country. After you log in, they can then give you the date for your location. You apparently live in an area that is currently experiencing lengthy delivery times due to high demand, harder to service location, local warehouse issues, etc.
Yes, my daughter does live at the same address which is what makes the whole situation weird. I appreciate your explanation and it makes sense. I spent some time on chat with Amazon customer service and after a while, the delivery dates changed from June 3 to May 26 so I'm not sure what changes were made. I'm pretty patient about stuff like this but it didn't make sense why the delivery times in our household were so different shipping to the same address.
Yep, this is the smoking gun. Amazon, for whatever reason, definitely plays favorites amongst its customers. I live in an apartment building, and my neighbor and I did a similar comparison of delivery of items to the same address. The times were not the same.

It sounds noble to advocate for patience in difficult times, but people are paying for Amazon Prime service. Amazon should not be playing games behind the scenes with the primary benefit of Prime, the fast, free deliveries. They should be treating all their Prime members equally.

Katietsu
Posts: 3316
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by Katietsu » Sat May 23, 2020 9:22 pm

walk-on wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:58 pm
Katietsu wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:17 pm
walk-on wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:50 pm
We have been Prime members since 2013. I was fine getting my items delayed in March and April but when I realized all my orders are being delayed by 7 days, it irritated me. For instance, my daughter is also a prime member on a student membership and does not order a lot of items from Amazon. She ordered an item on Friday and it was delivered on Sunday, two days later. On my account it would have taken seven days to receive the exact same item. My account is on some sort of hold or delay for items.

I contacted customer service about this and they "looked into" whether there is some sort of delay shown for my account and nothing came up. I was credited $5 for my trouble.

I'm looking at phone cases while logged into my account. Best delivery time is June 2. If I log out, best delivery time is May 26. I'm beginning to think my time with Amazon is near the end.
Is your daughter living with you? If so, that is odd. As far as seeing a different date before and after logging in, that I can explain. Before you log in, they do not know your delivery address. Therefore, the date displayed is the earliest date for someone in the ideal location in the country. After you log in, they can then give you the date for your location. You apparently live in an area that is currently experiencing lengthy delivery times due to high demand, harder to service location, local warehouse issues, etc.
Yes, my daughter does live at the same address which is what makes the whole situation weird. I appreciate your explanation and it makes sense. I spent some time on chat with Amazon customer service and after a while, the delivery dates changed from June 3 to May 26 so I'm not sure what changes were made. I'm pretty patient about stuff like this but it didn't make sense why the delivery times in our household were so different shipping to the same address.
Long shot, but is your default shipping address currently marked off as your home address? I was seeing odd delivery times a few months ago that would change by the end of the order. Figured out it was because an address I had used to ship a Christmas gift had ended up as the default address.

UpperNwGuy report of different delivery times for two Prime members in same building for the same item is disturbing.

UpperNwGuy
Posts: 3529
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:16 pm

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sat May 23, 2020 9:26 pm

Duplicate.

Broken Man 1999
Posts: 4319
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am
Location: West coast of Florida, inland on high ground!

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:21 am

Much like Vanguard's influence on the mutual fund industry, Amazon has forced other retailers to up their game, in shipping and overall online experience.

I order mostly from Sam's, Costco, Walmart, Target, and Amazon. Thing is, only Amazon will have the majority of things I order. Other sites will have some, but only Amazon will have the most items in a random order. The other companies I listed have improved their delivery times and online experiences. But they simply do not have Amazon's product depth and breadth.

Throughout this covid-19 experience, almost every products related to medical has been significantly delayed, if available at all. Most of my other type orders have continued to be received pretty much on time. I still get some next day deliveries, probably because I live near two warehouses.

Honestly, the other benefits via Prime would keep me as a customer even disregarding deliveries.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

User avatar
Tubes
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:33 am

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by Tubes » Sun May 24, 2020 11:32 am

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:21 pm

Yep, this is the smoking gun. Amazon, for whatever reason, definitely plays favorites amongst its customers. I live in an apartment building, and my neighbor and I did a similar comparison of delivery of items to the same address. The times were not the same.

It sounds noble to advocate for patience in difficult times, but people are paying for Amazon Prime service. Amazon should not be playing games behind the scenes with the primary benefit of Prime, the fast, free deliveries. They should be treating all their Prime members equally.
One has to wonder... Amazon has a lot of information on each of us. Big Data may show that perhaps the demographic of the parent is more tolerant of delays, whereas the child is part of the "instant satisfaction" generation. With so much traffic, perhaps they are prioritizing those who may get fed up easier than others.

The only fly in this terrible theory is Big Data can easily see that it is two people at the same address, and you'd think they would never prioritize differently because of that -- and the exact discussion we are having now.

So, it is probably some other dumb programming glitch and not semi-conspiratorial.

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 10325
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun May 24, 2020 11:56 am

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:21 am
Honestly, the other benefits via Prime would keep me as a customer even disregarding deliveries.

Broken Man 1999
I subscribe to BritBox, Acorn, MHz, HBO, PBS, and probably other streaming services through Amazon. In addition to the convenience, AFAIK I get 5% off by putting it on my Amazon Store Card and I believe that the streaming (on Acorn anyway) is better quality.

Then there’s Whole Foods, which has become my preferred delivery service after being gouged by Instacart to deliver Wegmans.

Oh, they ship for free too? Cool.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

User avatar
vitaflo
Posts: 1262
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:02 pm

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by vitaflo » Sun May 24, 2020 12:03 pm

Tubes wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:32 am
UpperNwGuy wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:21 pm

Yep, this is the smoking gun. Amazon, for whatever reason, definitely plays favorites amongst its customers. I live in an apartment building, and my neighbor and I did a similar comparison of delivery of items to the same address. The times were not the same.

It sounds noble to advocate for patience in difficult times, but people are paying for Amazon Prime service. Amazon should not be playing games behind the scenes with the primary benefit of Prime, the fast, free deliveries. They should be treating all their Prime members equally.
One has to wonder... Amazon has a lot of information on each of us. Big Data may show that perhaps the demographic of the parent is more tolerant of delays, whereas the child is part of the "instant satisfaction" generation. With so much traffic, perhaps they are prioritizing those who may get fed up easier than others.

The only fly in this terrible theory is Big Data can easily see that it is two people at the same address, and you'd think they would never prioritize differently because of that -- and the exact discussion we are having now.

So, it is probably some other dumb programming glitch and not semi-conspiratorial.
The theory on tech forums is that Prime only works for Amazon because so many people don't use it to its full capacity. In normal times, those that don't use it a lot subsidize those who do. But these aren't normal times and everyone is using Prime, leading Amazon to slow delivery times so they aren't losing money hand over fist on all the shipping costs.

Of course that's just a theory but it makes some sense, especially when I haven't had any issue with any other online store. We've ordered a lot from other places and most items have arrived in 2-3 days and with free shipping (with the same price as Amazon). Personally I don't really see any advantage to shopping at Amazon anymore, specifically because of their counterfeit problems, but also now with weird shipping times even for those with Prime. Outside of super niche items that you don't care might be fake or take a while to get to you, there are just much better alternatives now.

Mudpuppy
Posts: 6032
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:26 am
Location: Sunny California

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun May 24, 2020 12:46 pm

walk-on wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:58 pm
Yes, my daughter does live at the same address which is what makes the whole situation weird. I appreciate your explanation and it makes sense. I spent some time on chat with Amazon customer service and after a while, the delivery dates changed from June 3 to May 26 so I'm not sure what changes were made. I'm pretty patient about stuff like this but it didn't make sense why the delivery times in our household were so different shipping to the same address.
One plausible theory is that, since your daughter has a student account, Amazon is prioritizing deliveries to student accounts. I have no idea if that is the case, but it is a distinguishing factor between the two Prime accounts in the household.

User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 4043
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by Stinky » Sun May 24, 2020 12:48 pm

JAZZISCOOL wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:21 pm
LilyFleur wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:40 am
I still use Amazon. I think they're doing the best they can, as are most businesses that deliver. I am at home with three at-risk conditions, so I just wait for my deliveries. I ordered from Harbor Freight a few days ago, and they said they are running one to two weeks behind on fulfilling their orders. It is what it is. If waiting for a delivery is my worst problem these days, I'm pretty darn lucky.
I agree with this. These are strange times. Their deliveries are getting better. Trying to be patient with all sorts of things as we are all struggling to adapt. :|
+1

Complaining about lengthened Amazon times is definitely a first world problem.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

User avatar
tooluser
Posts: 593
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by tooluser » Sun May 24, 2020 1:38 pm

The shipping problem is not much of a driver for me, I get that things are disrupted. However, they should honor the terms of the product, reducing or refunding part if they cannot deliver what they promised.

I've been decoupling from Amazon, and my recent "customer no service" experience for a product return has led to me not renewing my Prime membership. They will lose far more than the cost of doing business fairly. I'm a small fish and only a 22-year customer, so they won't likely care why I did not renew.

I'll miss the free movies and TV shows on my Fire Stick, and to some degree the Prime Music, which was de-contented years ago. The free Kindle books were 99% things I don't care about (murder mystery after murder mystery).

I unplugged my Echo/Alexa a while back, as it never evolved to be anything but a toy. It was supposed to get smarter over time, but often misunderstood what I say, and never could carry on a conversation or do follow-up questions. Every voice game I ever played ended up eventually being ruined when the thing would claim I didn't give the correct answer, even though I did. For asking random questions, I can read the first line of Wikipedia entries myself. The hands-free radio feature was nice.

Mudpuppy
Posts: 6032
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:26 am
Location: Sunny California

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by Mudpuppy » Tue May 26, 2020 12:19 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:46 pm
walk-on wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:58 pm
Yes, my daughter does live at the same address which is what makes the whole situation weird. I appreciate your explanation and it makes sense. I spent some time on chat with Amazon customer service and after a while, the delivery dates changed from June 3 to May 26 so I'm not sure what changes were made. I'm pretty patient about stuff like this but it didn't make sense why the delivery times in our household were so different shipping to the same address.
One plausible theory is that, since your daughter has a student account, Amazon is prioritizing deliveries to student accounts. I have no idea if that is the case, but it is a distinguishing factor between the two Prime accounts in the household.
I just had another thought. Is your account configured with a personalized Prime Day and is Prime Day selected as the default shipping day? That would also explain why you're seeing later dates than your daughter. If it's not expected to be in stock until let's say May 28th, but you have your Prime Day set to Tuesday and also have your Prime Day set as your default delivery day, it would show June 2nd for you (next Tuesday after it's in stock) but May 28th for your daughter.

Also, I've seen wildly different delivery days for one-time purchases vs subscribe-and-save purchases for the same product. I was planning to set up a subscribe-and-save for granola over the weekend. It was showing as May 28th for one-time purchase, but over a week later in June for subscribe-and-save. I'm on my last bag of granola now, so I paid the extra this time to get it this week. I'll set up the subscribe-and-save later.

wfrobinette
Posts: 988
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:14 pm

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by wfrobinette » Tue May 26, 2020 1:50 pm

totallynotsure wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:54 pm
anyone else frustrated by this? granted, i know that 2-days might not be feasible and that Amazon has changed their policy to focus on "essential" items. but are Prime members not paying for a service that, at this point, isn't really being provided and/or could be provided by another retailer as quick (or quicker) less the subscription fee?

just curious what the boards thought is. perhaps i'm being irrational as a few items i ordered yesterday are going to take a week + and their customer service was rude.
Good luck finding anyone faster. Walmart might be.

And if you don't realize prime is not about the shipping its about the entertainment these days.

ksJoe
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:40 pm

Re: Amazon Prime delayed shipping

Post by ksJoe » Wed May 27, 2020 6:59 pm

I'm too cheap and stubborn to pay for prime.

What annoys me is that as a non-prime customer, they randomly select orders to put in timeout for 2 weeks. This has nothing to do with the current pandemic, its been going on for years. Some orders come in a day or two, some orders they don't start to ship for weeks. If it was consistent or predictable, it would be tolerable. But randomly delaying 10% of the orders by that much makes a really bad user experience.

Also their search has also become so cluttered with ads and irrelevent listing that its no where near as useable as it was 5-10 years ago.

So I always make an effort to buy from other websites, and when I must buy from amazon, I try to order from third party sellers who don't use amazon fullfillment.

Post Reply