what to do about 1000s of dandelions/weeds?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
wfrobinette

Re: what to do about 1000s of dandelions/weeds?

Post by wfrobinette » Fri May 22, 2020 8:48 am

Hogan773 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:51 pm
wfrobinette wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:06 pm
gips wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:58 am
thanks for all the thoughtful replies! My wife plans to spend an hour or two a day in certain parts of the yard trying to get the weeds under control. let's see how that goes, it seems to me like a crazy amount of work for something we don't care too much about. We do have a couple of gardens on the property and my wife has planted a couple of trees/shrubs and created a pretty rock garden.

I have to say, I'm liking my ego self propelled electric mower. I bought the one with two batteries, looks like I can get through it over the course of two days (the property is not really suitable for a riding mower and I didn't want to spend the $). as an added bonus, amazon accidentally delivered two mowers instead of one and unfortunately ;) couldn't take a return since the batteries are considered hazmat.

best,
Wait until the crabgrass shows up. You can do all you want but neighbors and wind bring new seeds.

I'd be using a granular preemergent next year.

Hand mowing 2 acres?
I bought a bag of Dimension pre-emergent at a local turf supplier. Some Ace stores can also order it for you. You want to get the one that is JUST Dimension, without fertilizer. All the Scotts etc want to sell you fertilizer, and in April you don't really be wanting to apply a bunch of fertilizer, just the weed killer. Since I've been using Dimension for past 5 years, my lawn has very few weeds while my neighbors have a dandelion farm right now. I also use milorganite as a fertilizer around Memorial Day and then Labor Day and early October. Also cut the grass high so it helps shade out the weeds.

You could certainly nuke the dandelions if you wanted with some real weed products, but your poor wife out there spritzing each one with vinegar might as well be p*ssing in the wind....I tried the "salt and vinegar" thing for weeds on my pavers patio last year and the weeds turned a little brown for a few days and then laughed at me and gave me the finger
Dimension is good. If you have warm season grass that doesn't need overseed try something with Prodiamine as it will last a bit longer. Don't be afraid to do a fall and spring application either if you live in zone 7 or higher.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Fri May 22, 2020 9:41 am

Dead Man Walking wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:27 am
I enjoy the weeds in my lawn. Dandelions and violets are currently in bloom. Finches feast on dandelion seeds. I also enjoy watching birds. It’s too expensive to control weeds on two acres. Buy a six pack, sit back, and enjoy nature’s beauty.

DMW
I get the nature side, but the other side....when one goes to sell a home and the yard is all crabgrass and weeds with the misc windblown plastic bag caught on a tall weed = not good. Need to find happy medium. Maybe treat a small part and let the other part stay natural. Clearly depends on size of ones yard.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Fri May 22, 2020 4:24 pm

• Goats
    Sheep
    Cows
    Chickens
    Guinea Pigs
https://www.globaltanks.com.au/what-ani ... eage-tidy/
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri May 22, 2020 6:58 pm

I would consider napalm.
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

ram

Post by ram » Fri May 22, 2020 8:00 pm

user5027 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:38 am
Similar to what I have...
https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Deluxe-S ... B0030MIHAU

Get them before they go to seed.
I am planning to buy this Fiskars. Do you like yours?
Ram

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Fri May 22, 2020 10:27 pm

Dandy's are dandy, give them. a big hug

Around these parts they are reason for a celebration
https://www.postindependent.com/news/ca ... elion-day/

Early food for bees
salad green
homebrew and/or coffee alternative
wine

What else can you do with turf?
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

user5027

Post by user5027 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:15 pm

ram wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:00 pm
user5027 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:38 am
Similar to what I have...
https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Deluxe-S ... B0030MIHAU

Get them before they go to seed.
I am planning to buy this Fiskars. Do you like yours?
Yes I do. Got mine after my son bought one.

sedonashine

Post by sedonashine » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:20 pm

for the first time(during covid) i let the dandelions grow in a patch in my backyard. After researching their nutritional value...never again will i look at these beauties the same way....we had fresh salad greens all spring long without having to go to a store.The birds and butterflies also enjoyed the patch.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:40 pm

sedonashine wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:20 pm
for the first time(during covid) i let the dandelions grow in a patch in my backyard. After researching their nutritional value...never again will i look at these beauties the same way....we had fresh salad greens all spring long without having to go to a store.The birds and butterflies also enjoyed the patch.
so what is your recipe? what part of the plant were you eating?

Hopefully the dogs in the neighborhood didn't contribute to their flavor :wink:

AK1236

Post by AK1236 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:05 pm

if you can't beat em...eat em as salad greens.
no longer in the weeds and thorns

leeks

Post by leeks » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:19 pm

What is wrong with dandelions?

"Dandelions are good for your lawn. Their wide-spreading roots loosen hard-packed soil, aerate the earth and help reduce erosion. The deep taproot pulls nutrients such as calcium from deep in the soil and makes them available to other plants. Dandelions actually fertilize the grass."

https://www.mofga.org/Publications/The- ... r%20plants.

Clover is good too. It fixes nitrogen.

I do not understand why people trouble themselves to have a lawn of only grass blades. Why would that be desirable? Clover and dandelions look nice and green, easily kept short by mowing, feel fine underfoot, no reason to exterminate them.